A lot of my things are ruined.

aleeoh

Proud Member
Hi guys. My name's Ali.

A couple of years ago, my basement flooded for the first time. We went through everything, tossed out what was ruined, and kept everything we could save. Some notebooks of mine from when I was young got ruined, but those were the only irreplaceable things. We got these big plastic bins to keep everything dry in case it happened again.

The other night I was looking for Dancing The Dream. It wasn't on my bookshelf, so I checked around the basement to see if maybe it had gotten mixed up into the things that were stored down there. I found it in one of the plastic bins meant to keep everything dry, except everything in it was wet and covered in mold. :cry: It was the original one, too.

I'm not super great at organizing things, so it was a big cluster of items including drawings from years ago(lots of MJ, but some not), things I had written, a diary I kept when I first became a fan during his trial, and some pictures from when I was in high school.

My husband feels terrible and he keeps saying he hopes it wasn't him who put something wet into the bin, or something he did and he's so sorry, but I really don't know what happened. It could have been either one of us. :(

I don't know why I started this, I'm just really, really bummed out. I can never get those things back.:cry:

Hi Ali. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! I can relate--my house was completely flooded in a hurricane a few years back---I was on vacation at the time and had no access to the house and came home to a complete mess. A lot of my items were ruined as well, which included a lot of my CDs including some of MJs and other stuff, books, original items that cannot be replaced, photos, etc. The loss is so frustrating and hard to deal with, both the cleanup and especially losing what is dear to you :cry:

I also lost my original, first edition Dancing the Dream book, while in the process of a move to another house; it mistakenly, stupidly, was given away in a box of Goodwill items. I still miss having it even though it's been nearly 10 years since it happened. I do hope someone else is enjoying it, however.

awww, hugs to you :wub:

I know, floods are not fun in anyways but memories are the ONLY things we have left sometimes. :blush:

Hi Ali. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! I can relate--my house was completely flooded in a hurricane a few years back---I was on vacation at the time and had no access to the house and came home to a complete mess. A lot of my items were ruined as well, which included a lot of my CDs including some of MJs and other stuff, books, original items that cannot be replaced, photos, etc. The loss is so frustrating and hard to deal with, both the cleanup and especially losing what is dear to you :cry:
I'm sorry to hear about that. :( Cleaning up was a big pain, but I thought at least this stuff would be safe once it was repacked.

I also lost my original, first edition Dancing the Dream book, while in the process of a move to another house; it mistakenly, stupidly, was given away in a box of Goodwill items. I still miss having it even though it's been nearly 10 years since it happened. I do hope someone else is enjoying it, however.
Oh no! At least you can feel better knowing some fan probably has it and adores it. :)

awww, hugs to you :wub:

I know, floods are not fun in anyways but memories are the ONLY things we have left sometimes. :blush:

Thank you for the kind words. It feels better knowing I'm not crazy for being so upset losing things from ~12 years ago.

Ohh I'm so sorry to hear this happened, floods can take a lot away from a person, It's normal IMO that you are still upset. (((HUGS))) to you.

Thank you! I'm feeling better about it today. Sometimes it's all you can do to just move on. I did keep the soggy old notebooks filled with poems and stories and other random writings, and I plan on copying them to my computer. So at least I can look back on that. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I love what a lovely community this is.

Awww that is so horrible. What is the difference between original and not original (dancing the dream) I have it and it is storage. Here's hoping it doesn't flood either!

Awww that is so horrible. What is the difference between original and not original (dancing the dream) I have it and it is storage. Here's hoping it doesn't flood either!

The original has a photo from the set of 'Black Or White' and the 2009 version has 'Beat It' photo from the BAD Tour..

Back