A Place With No Name (Second Single from Xscape) Discussion

The video has crossed 1M views on YouTube. Starting to gain a bit of momentum. Still 97% likes which is very good

It lost it's momentum because the premiere was on Twitter. Only now it's starting to get viral.

Has anyone heard the song on radio?

Here in Romania I just saw the video being distributed on FB by media. I don't watch tv/listen to radio, though. LNFSG was aired from time to time on TV, but on radio I barely heard it here.

This video is a little less poor than the happy tribute videos...
But it's still nothing but a boring mish mash of pointless images. Nothing i will bother to watch a second time. Why the hell is it so difficult for them to find some talented SHORT FILM maker who can capture the magical elements of a Michael typical short film. Intro, break, outro, overdubs, storyline etc. The stuff known from his biggest videos that other artists still try to copy today.

Probably a last missed opportunity to give tribute to the KING OF MUSIC SHORT FILM.
Thanks estate. Fail.

You almost get the feeling that Michael is reflecting back on this moment in his life. As though he is the man in the couple and it is a memory for him and he is reminiscing in the video as he stands in the desert. That's the feeling I got from it anyway.
I agree with you. This is how I see the video as well-

"45,000 retweets for the premiere of his exclusive music video – five times more than the meager 9,000 achieved by Queen of Twitter Katy Perry for the release of her last single"

Eat this, Miss BrokemichaelsrecordofnumberonehitsononealbumPerry!

How is APWNN doing now in the States? In The Netherlands haven't heard it on the radio yet. I've heard LNFSG and Thriller but APWNN is nowhere to be found (yet).

It seems that we are unable to have MJ's 51 Hot 100 hit next week.
Compare with LNSFG first 3 days 31 million radio audience, I can find the data of Urban AC Radio (For the Billboard Charts of Adult R&B/ R&B/Hip Songs/ R&B Song, etc.) of 0.4 Million. It is too poor.
And it did not appear on Top 100 of iTunes Chart USA, so....

^LNFSG had a Clear Channel deal -- it was played every hour on hundreds of stations and thus it got 34 million impressions for the first day. Obviously APWNN doesn't have such radio deal, so it would have to climb on its own. Hopefully radio will give it a chance.

^LNFSG had a Clear Channel deal -- it was played every hour on hundreds of stations and thus it got 34 million impressions for the first day. Obviously APWNN doesn't have such radio deal, so it would have to climb on its own. Hopefully radio will give it a chance.

It desperately needs our help to get on the playlists! We need to keep requesting the song on radio via the links in the Have you requested Michael on radio thread

Twitter Jumps On Promoted-Video Ads With Michael Jackson Debut
August 17, 2014 Leave a comment
http://vallieegirl67.com/2014/08/17/twitter-jumps-on-promoted-video-ads-with-michael-jackson-debut/
Sources: Guitar Player | All Things Michael

michael-jackson-xscape

BBC.com reports that Twitter has joined Facebook in the “promoted video” ad space by premiering a video for the late Michael Jackson’s new single (and how weird does that sentence read?).

“We now offer advertisers the ability to run ads with a new cost per view (CPV) ad buying model,” David Regan, senior product manager, TV and Video wrote on Twitter’s advertising news page. “This means advertisers only get charged when a user starts playing the video. Additionally, advertisers using Promoted Video have access to robust video analytics, including completion percentage and a breakout of organic versus paid video views.”

For movie lovers, Twitter advertising Film studios will be charged for each user’s view of promoted movie trailers

Twitter began experimenting with video in 2012 when it allowed users to embed YouTube links into tweets. Then, at the start of 2013, it launched the Vine app, which allowed the creation of six second videos designed to play on a loop in newsfeeds. A few months later, it rolled out its Amplify program, which allows advertisers to pay for short pre-roll sponsorship clips that run before videos posted by a select number of organizations, including Warner Music, the Vevo music service, Conde Nast, the BBC and the US National Basketball Association.

Video ads have already proved to be a big revenue generator for Twitter’s rival Facebook.

But unlike Mark Zuckerberg’s company, Twitter’s ads will not auto-play when they appear, at least at this stage.

“Both Twitter and Facebook are both integrating video much more deeply into the overall user experience, and people’s tolerance and expectation of seeing video is also going up,” commented Mark Mulligan, editor of the Music Industry Blog. “While undoubtedly, given the choice, people would not have their Facebook experience full of ads, it’s done nothing to dent the social network’s continued growth and usage. With Twitter there’s a lower amount of consumer attention time to play around with – it will not be able to put 30-second pre-roll ads, like you see on YouTube. It will have to come out with a set of formats that are unique to its audience.”

All interesting stuff to us consumers…

BTW: We won’t send you to Twitter, Vevo, or YouTube if you’re actually interested in Jackson’s new song. “A Place with no Name.” It’s right here…

MJJJusticeProject @MJJJusticePrjct · 15 Min.

On it's way to 1.5Million Views #APlaceWithNoName https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJvMU-5NyA&feature=youtu.be … Let's do it- MJGlobal family
BvLAteTCEAAvvhQ.jpg:large

Why wouldn't it happen? They released multiple remixes of LNFSG on iTunes. What is going to stop them from doing that for APWNN?

That's why I bolded the section on alternate versions.

What the hell is wrong with people... I really hope that APWNN is going to chart good... Until now APWNN is not doing so well...

Seriously...where is the promo for this song? If I didn't know better I wouldn't even have it down as a single that was just released. Little/no radio impact here in the UK this week as far as I'm aware. Seriously hope the Estate are cooking up something worth waiting for and not just sitting around on their behinds.

Seriously...where is the promo for this song? If I didn't know better I wouldn't even have it down as a single that was just released. Little/no radio impact here in the UK this week as far as I'm aware. Seriously hope the Estate are cooking up something worth waiting for and not just sitting around on their behinds.

Not just the Estate but Sony too. It is up to the music company to help promote their artists

Not very happy with the promotion of the song so far outside of the Twitter and Dance show plugs which I assume did not cost anything. Aside from this, there has been no radio promotion, banner ads, advertisements, etc., I am getting the feeling that they may not want to spend any more money on the project. Hoping things will improve in the next weeks

Last edited:
Channel Nine Afternoon News Australia just played APWNN as background music during the weather forecast. I was like ":O is that what I think it is?" Very faint but definitely was APWNN playing :)

bluesky;4036920 said:
Marie Claire @marieclaire · 17h

Michael Jackson is STILL breaking records http://marie.cl/6017mFfv pic.twitter.com/cBISTdUrqx

Watch Michael Jackson's New Video for 'A Place With No Name'

It's the first to premiere exclusively on Twitter.

By Lauren Valenti

We've been enjoying the fruits of Michael Jackson's posthumous album Xscape all summer — trust that "Love Never Felt So Good" has gotten many a party started for us — and the late singer's estate has just dropped a new music video.

The video, directed by industry bigwig Samuel Bayer, is for Jackson's revision of 1972's "A Horse With No Name," by America, "A Place With No Name." The track, originally recorded in 1998, received a sonic facelift from producers Timbaland and SuperGate, who's previously worked with the likes ofBeyoncé, Rihanna, and Katy Perry. The vide, quite literally, brings the song's lyrics to life while featuring behind-the-scenes of the King of Pop dancing from 1991's "In The Closer" video.

The premiere was announced exclusively on Jackson's Twitter account and marks the first time a music video has premiered on the social networking site. Watch the video in the link, below:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" title="Embedded Tweet" height="210" style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe>

&#8203;http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrit...me-video?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1449_80982938

How does it bring the lyrics to life? It is nothing like the lyrics in the video. Weird choice of words

I don't know whether the YT comments section is customized or not but I keep seeing more Estate exploiting MJ and the haters comments. Not a pretty sight there. There are some good comments too but they are hardly visible.

I'm not expecting much from APWNN even though it is a great song. Better these days it is hard for Mike to get a new hit. Sony and the Estate don't give a shit about the singles only about the album sales...
I support XSCAPE because I was really confident that it would be #1. But it reached #2 which is not bad. But #1 is preferable. Sony earned a lot of money with XSCAPE so why would they bother to put too much energy in a project where they have already earned lots of cash. So why would they promote APWNN? They don't give a damn about the potential #1 singles from XSCAPE

^ IMO the start with promotion was fine &#8230; we need to wait and see. IDK but what they have already done makes me think that a lot of efforts are made to create new, interesting way to promote a song with Twitter and the show &#8230; General public is still talking about it. It IS a big news in the world.

It IS too earlier to judge !!!

That`s a contradicing statement. A success from APWNN-single would help to boost the ablum-sales. Ohterwise this will not happen and sales will decreasing further.
The sucsess form the LNFSG-Single so far had a big impact for the good album-sales.

Last edited:
Back