Appeal Thread - Murray Filed for Appeal / Update: Appeal DENIED

Re: Appeal Thread - All Discussion / Update: Murray Filed for Appeal

So even though the deadline passed for him to file his appeal brief the court has given him an extension? Or he has until a final letter is sent. this is ridiculous. if a date is set that should be it.that date was the 21st. and why even bother filing a responce to the pros bail filing when u havnt even filed an appeal brief as u cant get bail until u file the appeal brief i suppose his lawyer will file one now they have more time. the whole system seems to be worked to make as much money for lawyers as poss with deadlines been moved and numerous allowed attempts at requesting bail. anyway he will be out soon enough anyway

I agree. The court had said that there would be no extensions for the appeal brief to be filed if the deadline was missed. Why should Murray's team be rewarded for not complying with court orders on time? They've been working on his appeal for over a year. And they still get an extension when the (supposedly final) deadline has already passed? This is so stupid, in my opinion.

Last edited:

But I don't understand... the court stressed that he had passed his deadline, and now we hear he has up to January twenty something. What is going on here? I have never heard Muarry say he is a celebrity; maybe this is just his "intelligent" lawyer making up statements & attributing it to Muarry.

Question...now that Walgren is a judge is there a new prosecutor(s) or is it still him and Brazil?

Caz ^^This is the appeal. Walgren and Brazil are not involved anymore. Muarry will see an appeal's judge, but hopefully this last extension will be too late and we will not hear from Muarry for a while.

I'm pretty sure that someone from the DA's office is filing the people's motions. It could be Brazil or it could be someone else.

-------------------------------

Michael McParland ‏@MMcParland
@Annies_NOTokmj There's nothing filed yet.
View conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
5h Michael McParland ‏@MMcParland
. @Annies_NOTokmj The court will have sent a letter giving them 15 days to lodge it or Murray's appeal would likely be dismissed.
View conversation
5h Michael McParland ‏@MMcParland
. “@Annies_NOTokmj: @MMcParland any appeal filing yet?” Nope. No sign of an appeal brief. It's nearly a year from the appeal filing. V. Odd.

^^Look at this--still no papers. I will take this as the appeal is kaput.

Anyone know for sure if Murray's motion for release on his own recognizance pending appeal is denied?
There is statement going on it twitter world that it is denied?

The basic fact for me is that Michael died because there was nobody around to watch him and there was no working monitoring equipment to warn Murray that Michael was in trouble. And to me, the self-injection theory should not be allowed for Murray in his appeal because he was not around as he should have been to possibly stop Michael. Murray had as many choices in this tragic event as Michael did if not more. And what makes this especially frustrating to me is that he and his lawyers are constantly trying to downplay his responsibility like the things he did and did not do in regard to what happened don't matter. None of it makes sense given the fact that Murray, as a doctor, knew better than to treat a patient like that as proven by his other patients talking about him like he was all "Angel On Earth", in my opinion.

Last edited:

I'm beginning to think that there was never any appeal planned, his lawyer is just going to the media regularly to say Murray is innocent & keep him in the public eye as the wrongly convicted "poor conrad murray". Maybe he is preparing for when he gets out of jail, preparing his shows/book or whatever he might be planning

Anyone know for sure if Murray's motion for release on his own recognizance pending appeal is denied?
There is statement going on it twitter world that it is denied?

Yes, it was denied:

"The court has read and considered appellant's motion for release on his own recognizance pending appeal or alternatively for release on reasonable bail filed December 18, 2012, respondent's opposition thereto filed December 28, 2012 and appellant's reply filed January 8, 2013. Good cause appearing therefor, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that appellant's motion is denied."

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=1999218&doc_no=B237677

and to be clear - his appeal hasn't been denied but it could happen soon, it doesn't seem like he filed the opening brief.

He is late, which is the MO with all cases related to Michael.

-BLANAID/-BX?@BLANAIDXLIVES

Conrad Murray Appeal: 01/17/2013 - Motion for relief from default filed (by Conrad Murray's appeal lawyer) pic.twitter.com/XBTNQy2l
http://twitter.com/BLANAIDXLIVES/status/292986495676055552/photo/1

1h-BLANAID/-BX?@BLANAIDXLIVES

Conrad Murray Appeal: 01/14/2013 - Appellant notified re failure to timely file opening brief.

So that means they sent Murray a letter saying "you are late, file it within x days or we will throw this out" and Murray's lawyers again asked for 30 day extension.

Ha Ivy this is getting ridiculous. What is holding up the brief? I thought you got all your legal precedents together & your law books and begin writing up the brief. Is it that the lawyers are too busy, or they have not come up with an idea about what their case will be? Are they looking for some evidence to support the documents? Since the day of sentencing we heard about the appeal process, so what were they doing all the time?

Murray's lawyers already had so many days to file the appeal brief and every time they miss the deadline, they get another extension. Why? Just because they ask for an extension, they get it? The supposedly "final date" with "no extensions" went by a month ago. And they spent a year before that showing up in the media talking about "we're going to appeal", "we're going to appeal" , and more of "we're going to appeal". It's sickening how they drag this out and get rewarded for it with more time over and over again. But oh well. I hope it is over soon.

Last edited:

He must be learning very well from Melissa Johnson.

What is holding up the brief?

not having a case - most probably.

Murray's lawyers already had so many days to file the appeal brief and every time they miss the deadline, they get another extension. Why? Just because they ask for an extension, they get it?

no they don't. As far as I know when the court gives the final extension (and expresses it) and then if the filing is late, they will send a notification saying "you are late in filing please send it within xx days" (up to 15 days) and that's it.

It seems that the court has send that final reminder and Murray's lawyers have again asked for extension. I will think that as the court has denied the latest extension request they will deny this too and that will leave Murray with a few days to file the opening brief or get the case dismissed.

^^I hope so Ivy. It seems to me that in all these cases in this section of the forum, the people are not taking the courts' deadlines seriously & some are getting away with it.

02/04/2013 Letter sent to: Trial counsel J. Michael Flanagan: The court has read and considered appellate counsel Valerie Wass's January 30, 2013 motion for an order requiring you to turn over Mr. Murray's trial file and for you to respond to appellate counsel's questions in regard to the appeal. The court invites you to serve and file a response to appellant's motion on or before February 14, 2013. [cc'd Valerie Wass and DAG Victoria Wilson]

02/05/2013 Request filed to: Appellant's request to file a reply within three days to J. Michael Flanagan's response to appellant's motion for Mr. Flanagan to provide a copy of his trial file to appellate counsel and to respond to appellate counsel's questions in regard to the appeal. E-filed.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=1999218&doc_no=B237677
California Courts - Appellate Court Case Information

02/04/2013 Letter sent to: Trial counsel J. Michael Flanagan: The court has read and considered appellate counsel Valerie Wass's January 30, 2013 motion for an order requiring you to turn over Mr. Murray's trial file and for you to respond to appellate counsel's questions in regard to the appeal. The court invites you to serve and file a response to appellant's motion on or before February 14, 2013. [cc'd Valerie Wass and DAG Victoria Wilson]

02/05/2013 Request filed to: Appellant's request to file a reply within three days to J. Michael Flanagan's response to appellant's motion for Mr. Flanagan to provide a copy of his trial file to appellate counsel and to respond to appellate counsel's questions in regard to the appeal. E-filed.

California Courts - Appellate Court Case Information

Aww, on Valentine's Day... :3

Though something tells me he's not exactly dying to talk to her... >.>

^^I hope so Ivy. It seems to me that in all these cases in this section of the forum, the people are not taking the courts' deadlines seriously & some are getting away with it.

Its unfair that some of them are getting away with it its like the law just isnt effective as it once was

so what does this mean? murray is still getting a delay in filing his appeal because flannagan wont hand over ourt docs?

Well what is so difficult for Flanny to give Wass these files and answer her questions? Snape I thought those 2 were lovers, so why can't Flanny get the files & answers to her on time? After all they must be seeing a lot of each other?

02/11/2013 Order filed. Appellant's February 5, 2013 request for leave to file a reply to Mr. Flanagan's response is denied.

02/20/2013 Telephone conversation with: Peggy at J. Michael M. Flanagan's office re: response to appellant's January 30, 2013 motion. Counsel will not be filing a response to the motion.

02/25/2013 Motion filed. Appellant's motion for a 21 day extension of time and for a Booth order authorizing appellant's counsel to take a laptop computer into the attorney visiting room at Men's Central Jail.

02/25/2013 Order filed. The court has read and considered appellant's January 30, 2013 motion requiring trial counsel J. Michael Flanagan to provide a copy of the trial file and to respond to appellate counsel's questions in regard to the appeal. Mr. Flanagan advised the court by telephone that no response to the motion would be filed. Good cause appearing therefor, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that appellant's motion is granted as follows: J. Michael Flanagan is ordered to provide appellate counsel Valerie Wass with his entire trial file and to cooperate with appellate counsel.
[copy of order sent to J. Michael Flanagan via U.S. Mail]

02/25/2013 Order filed. Appellant's February 25, 2013 motion requesting to extend the default period and for a Booth Order is denied.

03/04/2013 Motion filed. Appellant's Motion for an Order Requiring Appellant's Trial Counsel J. Michael Flanagan to Comply with This Court's February 25, 2013 Order by Having a Telephone Conference with Appellate Counsel to Discuss the Case, or Be Held in Contempt of Court; and Request for Sanctions in the Sum of $3, 340.00, Based on Trial Counsel's Willful Failure to Comply with His Duty to Cooperate with Appellant Counsel [E-filed.]

03/07/2013 Requested - extension of time

Appeal dismissed for failure to file opening brief. Requested for 04/02/2013 By 18 Day(s)
E-filed.

03/08/2013 Telephone conversation with: Peggy at J. Michael Flanagan's office - counsel will be filing an opposition to appellant Murray's motion of March 4, 2013.

03/08/2013 Granted - extension of time.

Appeal dismissed for failure to file opening brief. Due on 03/25/2013 By 10 Day(s)
The record on appeal was initially filed in this court more than 15 months ago, on January 31, 2012. Augmented and supplemental records were filed in May 2012. According to prior declarations submitted by Ms. Wass, she performed "extensive work" on the matter beginning immediately after January 31, 2012. On June21, 2012 the court extended the time for filing the opening brief for 60 days to August 20, 2012. Since then, the date for filing the opening brief has been extended an additional seven months. Without questioning the legitimacy of any individual extension request, in the aggregate the amount of time requested appears unreasonable. The court grants one final ten (10) day extension to March 25, 2013. If, as she threatens, Ms. Wass believes it is appropriate to file a motion to withdraw unless she receives the extension as requested, the court will consider that motion on its merits.

Oh so she will withdraw unless she receives the extension. Now she has 10 days. I don't understand why Flanny is not cooperating. Is it because he had a fight with Wass? However, what were they doing in regards to the case when they were friends. It is such a shame to waste time over an appeal when it is going to be a dud.

Oh so she will withdraw unless she receives the extension. Now she has 10 days. I don't understand why Flanny is not cooperating. Is it because he had a fight with Wass? However, what were they doing in regards to the case when they were friends. It is such a shame to waste time over an appeal when it is going to be a dud.

I agree. This whole thing went beyond ridiculous a long time ago, in my opinion.

Gotta love how the court says u have had a further seven months delay which is to much and nothing has been done. and then shock horror the court gives them yet another ten days extension.
glad the rats are fighting amongst
themself

He doesn't give up! By the time this has been heard or dismissed he'll be due out of jail.

Back