April 1, 2008: MJ News and Mentionings

yes he gets paid he wrote Billie Jean it doesn't matter who sings it, the song belongs to Michael Joseph Jackson Sr....

Good! Then I hope tmz is forced to do a rewrite on their mention that Cornell gets paid! Levin :rolleyes:(tmz) did however sneak in a snide remark about their both being copy cats! The later required alot more effort than simply using MJ's name, afterall in his case, even his intials spark recognition in most.

Good! Then I hope tmz is forced to do a rewrite on their mention that Cornell gets paid! Levin :rolleyes:(tmz) did however sneak in a snide remark about their both being copy cats! The later required alot more effort than simply using MJ's name, afterall in his case, even his intials spark recognition in most.

Cornell get's paid performance royalties true enough but Michael gets the lion's share he wrote the song and so both AI and Cornell's label have to pay HIM :lol:

Maybe as fans we need to show our support by letting our dismay with American idol's handling of this be known! This time however, by complaining that enough RESPECT wasn't provided to Mr. Jackson! I still think that starting a debate over David vs. Cornell was planned as a backhanded dis of MJ.

I think I'll email Steve Harvery (who right now is dealing with Eddie Levert's loss I'm sure). So please remember to offer your support on both matters, if you write or call. Which shouldn't be a problem cause it's about embracing & showing support to all people (& artists)...indiscriminately!

*Please suggest other hosts/shows we should contact.

Cornell get's paid performance royalties true enough but Michael gets the lion's share he wrote the song and so both AI and Cornell's label have to pay HIM :lol:

Good! Thanks!

It's such a shame! All three artists should have been allowed to celebrate this accomplishment, both individually & as a whole. This show is supposed to be based on the concept of celebrating music in America.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Michael wrote Billie Jean and he has the rights to it. I don't care if they sing the song in rock, rap, country etc... Michael gets paid either way. He owns the publishing rights

Michael gets double payment as the writer and the owner of the publishing rights....

so .. i am loving this.. the more they talk about this AI Billie Jean... the more
notoriety
Michael gets...it will help T25 sales.. and if/when Michael performs its................especially on tv... it will be a major tv event...

this redoing of Billie Jean.. in rock form.. just brought the song's value up a notch... Michael I am sure is just loving this...

that's why.. I say.. don't sweat the small stuff.. becuz the bigger picture.. and a big win...

It was annoying how nobody on American Idol ever once mentioned Michael Jackson's name in connection to Billie Jean. Instead, Ryan Seacrest used Chris Cornell's name several times. If anyone should be mad about any of this, it should be Michael.

Michael is smiling all the way the bank...

and either AI announced it or not ... the entire world knows.. that Billie Jean is a Michael's Jackson song...

Last edited:
Thanks for the news.

And yes, I did fall for that prank. That was the second time I feel for a joke. Whatever. LOL.

It was annoying how nobody on American Idol ever once mentioned Michael Jackson's name in connection to Billie Jean. Instead, Ryan Seacrest used Chris Cornell's name several times. If anyone should be mad about any of this, it should be Michael.

You hit the nail, my friend. This is what I was worried about. I knew that this ish would happened. Now that MJ is sort of not being respected as much as he should, people are taking his songs, changing them and taking credit for songs that they did not write. It reminds me of the work MJ did to create "Billie Jean" and how it bothers me to read that this clown, Cornell is basically taking the credit for a song that is not his. It really makes me sick. I would never think that this kind of injustice would even happen in modern times but boy was I wrong. Someone needs to say something. Where is Quincy at? This nonsense has to be stopped. Chris needs to apologized for taking credit of the song and people need to remind people that the song is NOT Chris' song. I do not care what anyone thinks. Heck, I like David Cook's better.

Yeah-hh! Hey Rasta's... up in here! :clap:
I was hoping you'd pop in & shed even more light!

thanks-4 all u-bring!:punk:

Thanks for the news.

And yes, I did fall for that prank. That was the second time I feel for a joke. Whatever. LOL.

You hit the nail, my friend. This is what I was worried about. I knew that this ish would happened. Now that MJ is sort of not being respected as much as he should, people are taking his songs, changing them and taking credit for songs that they did not write. It reminds me of the work MJ did to create "Billie Jean" and how it bothers me to read that this clown, Cornell is basically taking the credit for a song that is not his. It really makes me sick. I would never think that this kind of injustice would even happen in modern times but boy was I wrong. Someone needs to say something. Where is Quincy at? This nonsense has to be stopped. Chris needs to apologized for taking credit of the song and people need to remind people that the song is NOT Chris' song. I do not care what anyone thinks. Heck, I like David Cook's better.

iIMO, it doesn't matter what AI did one week from now or 10 years from now..

Everyone is the world (in the billions)knows Michael Jackson... 25- 30mil Americans know Chris Connell and David Cook..

IMO, its really not worth sweating it...just say KACHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
I don't think ever an AI MJ performance made this type of impact on the boards..

Rasta Pasta and that 'KACHING $$$$$$$$' thing she always does!lol

See, not to be mean, but this is exactly what we mean by 'whitewashing'
MJ is hated on mostly because of his efforts to intergrate the music biz. Will Cornell or anyone from Idol ever achieve his crossover appeal?

On the addition of a poll:

This was, should have been a great story all around! But instead we see the racist media couldn't resist! They had to 'spin it' in an attempt to diminish the contribution of yet another African-American artist. In stark contrast, the reverse being, that it's considered 'sacrilege' to re-record work by a white artist, let alone own a catalogue full of 'em.;) So this how they pay MJ back for his licensing them to use, but not own the songs...jealousy & greed!

This is why I felt American idol couldn't be trusted to promote or do business with MJ. Never forget that they are owned by murdock (owner of fox news). When I first heard about the performance I was concerned about all of the above! I did have hopes that idol wouldn't pull any ish. tmz is bad enough on it's own, but it's also connected to fox...they worked together in attempting to spin this.

American idol had the chance to follow behind Dick Clark by basking in the diversity of truly great American Music & being the voice of a whole new generation. Too bad, since they want to deal in halfs, oh well.-_-
I believe... has it been confirmed that MJ cashes in either way?

No prob, continue to pray for MJ's continued success & enjoy all the daily acknowledgements sent MJ's way... both direct & indirect. His own version being used by desperate housewives is also $big new$.:)

Well said Motown lady. They should have mentioned his name and then have the nerve to try to prop up a white male singer's version of a song that originated from Michael. Anything to try and discredit Michael and not give him the respect and credit he deserves. But the world knows that Billy Jean is an original Michael Jackson classic. No one can change that not even the media no matter how hard they try.

Thanks for that insight Rasta Pasta! Kaching$$$$$$$ indeed for Michael

Last edited:
I think we should stop this American Idol chit chat...it's ridiculous that you waste your time talking about a guy what's his name? He performed he has a great voice but Billie Jean CANNOT AND SHOULDN'T be sang by anyone else!

iIMO, it doesn't matter what AI did one week from now or 10 years from now..

Everyone is the world (in the billions)knows Michael Jackson... 25- 30mil Americans know Chris Connell and David Cook..

IMO, its really not worth sweating it...just say KACHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I see what you are saying, but it would have been better if Ryan's punk ass said that this was MJ's song instead of saying that the song is the redition of whatever. Yeah, Mike is making money, but it would be right to give the credit to him as well. I will be sweating this for a while. Forgive me for that. ;)

Here come the final. The sales has fallen this week but he is at #15.

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]CHART DATE: 03/31/2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]LAST UPDATE: 04/01/2008 13:40:29[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]NOW IN: FINAL[/FONT]
s_shad.gif
blank.gif
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]LW[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]TW[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]artist / album[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]label[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]power index[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]% change[/FONT]--1DAY26BAD BOY/ATLANTIC198,945--DAY26--2PANIC AT THE DISCOFUELED BY RAMEN141,416--PRETTY. ODD.--3COUNTING CROWSGEFFEN112,556--SATURDAY NIGHTS SUNDAY MORNINGS14DANITY KANEBAD BOY/ATLANTIC84,005-67%WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE25NOW 27SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP63,775-62%VARIOUS ARTISTS46RICK ROSSDEF JAM/IDJMG49,992-40%TRILLA--7RACONTEURSWARNER BROS.38,021--CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY58JACK JOHNSONBRUSHFIRE/UNIV REPUBLIC34,270-55%SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC--9B-52SASTRALWERKS30,281--FUNPLEX310FLO RIDAATLANTIC29,766-65%MAIL ON SUNDAY711SARA BAREILLESEPIC29,763-49%LITTLE VOICE2012GNARLS BARKLEYATLANTIC28,900-7%ODD COUPLE913SNOOP DOGGGEFFEN26,473-51%EGO TRIPPIN'614TAYLOR SWIFTBIG MACHINE25,717-57%TAYLOR SWIFT1115MICHAEL JACKSONLEGACY24,679-53%THRILLER - 25TH ANNIVERSARY ED.1516ALAN JACKSONARISTA NASHVILLE24,084-41%GOOD TIME--17ENRIQUE IGLESIASUNIVERSAL MUSIC LATINO22,430--95/08 EXITOS1418ALICIA KEYSJ RECORDS/RMG22,195-48%AS I AM1219ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKSRAZOR & TIE21,846-56%SOUNDTRACK1320JONAS BROTHERSHOLLYWOOD21,221-57%JONAS BROTHERS

Thanks for the update! Oh lawd our T25 horsie is slowing down. :eek:*feeds it some carrots...coated with sugar* haha. Aww 15 is not too bad considering everyone took a sharp dip last week. Hmmm....it was a quiet week and also the end/first of the month. Rents and mortgages were due; Car payments, insurance, tuition fees, EVERYTHING was due!! Folks are hurtin'. *throws lint in the air*

A top 20 finish still gets the dance so....:dance: ^_^

Back