Are you a vegetarian?

I don´t know if Bill Gates eats meat or not, perhaps it´s that he realise that the meatindustry with factoryfarms are no good for the environment.
Maybe he thinks production of meat is or will be a waste of the earth's resources in the future
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3019397/bill-gates-invests-in-twitter-founders-vegan-meat-startup

Vegan food is more than just fruits and vegetables.
Nuts for example and dark chocolat....
I made many smoothies this summer with nuts, oat milk, and black currant.Tasty and healthy..but it´s not something you get skinny from........

It´s autumn here and it´s starting to get chilly then it feels good with a stew with beans and other things.I´ve found many delicious receipt on internet

Well, I am a person who lovessss vegetables, I love all the "strange" alternative food that vegetarian/vegans eat and I certainly hold the values a lot of them hold. I've tried to become one since I am the kind of person that as I've aged, I've come to realize what an unfair treatment animals get from people... do not tell me otherwise because they do, I respect everyone's opinion on the matter but that's one truth you cannot deny whether you like animals and rather not eat them or see them as food. And although I am not a vegetarian yet, I know someday when I have enough will and drive to do so, I'll become one.

If you eat egg you can make a difference for the hens with your choice
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xg-m44zMV9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I don´t know if egg cartons are labeled with caged or free range hens in all countries, or organic.
In EU cages like in the video are forbidden , hens are still hold in cages but enriched with perches and dust bathing.

One organic egg farm
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xLX6LFW2n3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can have hens in our garden
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/da3FAVBQHOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I´ve seen other videos with rescued hens , they are malnourished, underweight,lacks feathers on parts of the body.
How much nutrition can it be in egg from such hens?

I'm not a vegetarian. I love vegetables, but I cannot give up eating meat. I love a nice piece of steak. Yumm. Also, I feel weak if I don't eat meat. Vegetables are not enough.

I used to be a vegetarian for 10 years but I'm not anymore though vegetables are still my major food by this day.

me i 'm vegetarian since 20 december 2010,this is easy now,but when i begin was very very hard when i see beef.

Mist, there's actually still a lot of nutrition (and other stuff) in eggs even from hens that are being kept in abominable and deplorable circumstances. Why? Simply because of the importance in biology in regards to 'reproduction' and offspring related matters.

A good example is lactation in human females. It's amazing, actually: As long as a minimum of caloric intake and hydration is being provided, the human body will produce milk for a hungry baby even in dire circumstances, just because of the way we evolved since there is almost nothing as important in biology on this planet as the drive to survive and the functions of the body to not only survive, but ensure the survival of offspring, in this case our children. You can have horrible circumstances of people sitting in refugee camps and not having a place to sleep, but as long as the physiological basics are met, a nursing mother for example can ensure the survival of a baby, even when no luxury microwaves are around to sterilize equipment.

Hens and eggs are similar since that egg (when fertilized) supplies the chick with nutrition, protection similar to a womb, and therefore ensures the survival of the species. You could say that there is a 'level' of chemical makeup off an egg that will not go lower as absolutely necessary since the survival of a species is dependent upon an egg.

Of course horrible surroundings and lack of adequate nutrition can change the makeup of an egg. And the truly insidious thing is that farmers who depend on mass farming actually went more into the directions of creating the 'designer egg', ie, feeding the chickens a diet designed to raise the protein, vitamin, mineral etc content while trying to lower the saturated fat content, cholesterol etc.

So in essence you could have hens that are being fed am incredible diet designed to produce the healthiest eggs possible, while at the same time some hens themselves are being kept in deplorable conditions.

Luckily though the public has developed more of a consciousness about these things and now it's pretty easy to find eggs in stores that are the result from different farming approaches.

You can chose between free range chickens, pasture raised, certified antibiotic free, grain fed, grass fed etc etc.
In an average US grocery store you can find at least two, or tree different eggs that landed on that shelf through different farming methods.

So yes, at this point in time it's actually fairly easy for the majority of people to support humane farming methods since most of us eat an occasional egg here and there, bake with them etc, so purchasing these eggs is a lot more affordable than organic vegetables, for examples.

I have been a Pescetarian first - no meat with the exception of occasional fish. Then I moved into full ovo-lacto vegetarianism and haven't eaten meat in 13 years.
I have several medical conditions and have to keep a close eye on my daily protein and vitamin intake - and eggs are still a perfect addition with their protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. I'm hoping that one day my body won't need vitamin d and iron from the pharmacy, and I'd much rather eat a bagel-egg-cheese sandwich than sit in a hospital for these infusions, for example.

Anyway, that's all kinda OT, but Mist raised an interesting question in this thread - how healthy can an egg be from mass produced farming methods? Biological necessity is the answer.

On a side note; I try to avoid leather wherever possible, be it watches, planners and calendars and other things, seeking out leather alternatives wherever possible, or at least buy certain things second hand in order to not add to the first market demand for leather goods.
And thank goodness that we now have high density fleece, down alternatives that are great for allergy plagued folks and boots to keep us warm in winter that don't depend on animals giving their lives for us.
But that of course is a luxury many people just don't have yet, since historically a couple of chickens provided humans with feathers to sleep on, eggs and meat, while they also kept the grass short and kept the yard free of insects and even mice since chickens are actually omnivores and not vegetarians as many people believe.

A friend of mine once had a chicken coop- he didn't slaughter them.... But we enjoyed their incredible eggs and they were actually adorable and sociable, two of them always greeted us in excitement coming up their driveway. They'd even jump on your lap, you could even pet them. I love these birds and would love to have a coop myself one day.

I will take it or leave it- More so likely leave it if there's a choice it would be the veggie option.
I take a cheese salad over a ham one any day.

I don't eat beef, pork, and meat from dogs, cats, rabbits or other mammals I find cute. (I don't find cows cute actually, I don't like the meat.) So I only eat chicken and similar birds (turkey, goose, duck) or fresh fish cause I don't like the smell of a frozen fish. I drink milk and consume eggs although I do my best to avoid mass production. It's always possible though cause I live with my parents part-time, so when I'm with them, I have to accommodate, but they're fine with me not eating specific meat.

I've only received blacklash from a few meat eaters. Things I'm tired of hearing:

"Are you a vegetarian?" (Whenever I pick a vegetarian or a vegan meal... No, I either don't feel like eating meat or I can't find any meat I eat.)
"You are not going to save animals this way!" (Fewer consumption = fewer demand = fewer profit for meat producers... Besides, my reason for avoiding specific meat isn't purely a saviour one.)
"Why do you eat vegetable? What if plants have feelings, too?" (Nope, they don't have feelings and I don't think I would care if they had.)
"Hitler was a vegetarian." (Usually an "argument" made by people who say that going vegetarian or avoiding specific meat is against my culture.)

People who are vegetarians or vegan, though, have it harder than I do, so I won't complain too much.

I could never be a vegetarian.. I eat very clean and have a lot of veggies but I would never give up meat. There are wayyy too man health benefits from meat that I will not let go of.

^ Getting some good healthy Omegas and clean protein!! ;) How has it been? and was it a big change for you?

I´ve been a vegetarian since my childhood.

I´m kind of glad about the Vegan movement / craze. Now people tend to leave me alone and rather pick on the vegans. :lol:

meat person: "Are you a vegan?"
me: "Noooo, I´m a vegetarian!!!"
meat person: "Good. Because vegans do not get enough protein."

L.O.L.

Last edited:
FullLipsDotNose;4157104 said:
I don't eat beef, pork, and meat from dogs, cats, rabbits or other mammals I find cute. (I don't find cows cute actually, I don't like the meat.) So I only eat chicken and similar birds (turkey, goose, duck) or fresh fish cause I don't like the smell of a frozen fish. I drink milk and consume eggs although I do my best to avoid mass production. It's always possible though cause I live with my parents part-time, so when I'm with them, I have to accommodate, but they're fine with me not eating specific meat.

I've only received blacklash from a few meat eaters. Things I'm tired of hearing:

"Are you a vegetarian?" (Whenever I pick a vegetarian or a vegan meal... No, I either don't feel like eating meat or I can't find any meat I eat.)
"You are not going to save animals this way!" (Fewer consumption = fewer demand = fewer profit for meat producers... Besides, my reason for avoiding specific meat isn't purely a saviour one.)
"Why do you eat vegetable? What if plants have feelings, too?" (Nope, they don't have feelings and I don't think I would care if they had.)
"Hitler was a vegetarian." (Usually an "argument" made by people who say that going vegetarian or avoiding specific meat is against my culture.)

People who are vegetarians or vegan, though, have it harder than I do, so I won't complain too much.

You must know the same people than me! :lol:

My favourite sentence is:
"Why do you eat vegetable? What if plants have feelings, too?"

My standard answer:
"I don´t care, I have to eat something."

Also, EVERYBODY thinks I´m a vegetarian for reasons of animal love or because of health issues. But that is not my main rason at all. I simply do not like the taste and texture of meat. :pth: :lol:

Back