Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they didn't note that its "mj personal vhs copy", then we all start to ask, why don't release bluray. now that way they make sure we'll be acepting thats all they could find, without streng to search for better.
in the same time they shoot themself in the foot with that.

Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

maybe thats just a side note to make it seem more special and we are making too much of it?

would they release something that would be worse viewing that perhaps the Tokyo 87 recordings? I don't think so.

maybe thats just a side note to make it seem more special and we are making too much of it?

would they release something that would be worse viewing that perhaps the Tokyo 87 recordings? I don't think so.

When I first read the press release, I was ecstatic. It really is a dream come true. Finally, Bad Tour on DVD. After calming down and chilling out, the mention of "VHS tape" kicked in, I was like "huh? VHS? wtf?" Although I'm not a technical expert, I watch enough VHS tapes on HD TV to know how horrible they look. Reading that they are planning to restore the VHS tape and make it a DVD sounds almost comical in 2012.

Am I reading too much in it? How? I'm just reading what they wrote black and white on paper. I surely hope it's just a marketing ploy that they used to cater fans' sentiments (I actually think that's a very cruel thing to do if it's indeed a marketing ploy. haven't we through enough in the past few year? why play with our emotion again?) I surely hope the source is something better than a VHS tape.

The technological limitations in restoring a VHS tape mentioned by many here are very real. No one in the world can turn a 25-year old VHS into a good DVD. Will it be watchable? I guess yeah. Just like how TWYMMF on Visions is watchable. Will it be visually enjoyable? I guess if I watch the DVD with my laptop, it will be okay, not so much if I watch it on my 46" HD TV.

I really hope the Estate can address this issue. Of course I'm super excited that Bad 25 will be released in a few months. But, the mentioning of using Michael's "personal VHS tape" as source does raise a red flag.

I don't remember much about Tokyo 87, but Yokohama 87 is what I would expect a fan made DVD should be. Not the best, but not the worst. I don't even know whether it's remastered from VHS. If so, it really is a very good effort from a fan. Still, I'd expect an official release to be of greater quality.

Tokyo was blurry not much detail but Yokohama was crystal clear and if the Wembley concert appeared in that quality i would be very happy. I get the limitations however, we have plenty of VHS transfers from fans on dvds which look amazing and are very watchable, especially on large tvs. Ive watched several of them and its been fine. So one coming from the estate, i think could be part promotional ploy, playing to the sentiments of the fans but all of the while not being as bad as they have mentioned.

Yokohama 87 is what I would expect a fan made DVD should be. Not the best, but not the worst. I don't even know whether it's remastered from VHS. If so, it really is a very good effort from a fan. Still, I'd expect an official release to be of greater quality.

Yokohama is TV stream broadcast and it's pretty good VHS quality.

How's that compared to Michael's personal VHS tape? Would it be pretty much the same thing?

I would expect his VHS to be better, to be honest. It shouldn't look worse than Yokohama.

Maybe the Estate just say so about VHS thing so they make themselves look like they have no material which maybe means they think we wouldn't ask anything else from them. And maybe they're right now using some master source instead and it will end up as very great quality DVD.
Because that only source is VHS is too hilarious I think. Also if it was that bad quality like in teaser, they wouldn't release it. Maybe they made teaser quality so bad on purpose to make the VHS ''effect''? lol Dunno..

Wishful thinking.

I'm sure we will think of hell what not in these 4 months :lol:

Tokyo was blurry not much detail but Yokohama was crystal clear and if the Wembley concert appeared in that quality i would be very happy. I get the limitations however, we have plenty of VHS transfers from fans on dvds which look amazing and are very watchable, especially on large tvs. Ive watched several of them and its been fine. So one coming from the estate, i think could be part promotional ploy, playing to the sentiments of the fans but all of the while not being as bad as they have mentioned.

Honestly, I would not call Yokohama crystal clear. Sorry, it's not. May be I'm used to HD programing. I pay extra money each month to get HD. Like I said, Yokohama is a very respectfully done fan-made DVD. It's what I expect it to be. I never expect top-notch quality from fans who could only rely on limited resources. If the Wembley DVD is like Yokohama, I will still be slightly disappointed. I'm happy that I can finally watch the second leg of the Bad Tour. I'm disappointed that the proper treatment was not done. It'll be years until now to get another better quality video release.

Honestly, I would not call Yokohama crystal clear. Sorry, it's not. May be I'm used to HD programing. I pay extra money each month to get HD. Like I said, Yokohama is a very respectfully done fan-made DVD. It's what I expect it to be. I never expect top-notch quality from fans who could only rely on limited resources. If the Wembley DVD is like Yokohama, I will still be slightly disappointed. I'm happy that I can finally watch the second leg of the Bad Tour. I'm disappointed that the proper treatment was not done. It'll be years until now to get another better quality video release.

Here's my Yoko enhancement compare :D
Yoko is a bootleg so don't expect it to look amazing, but it's good quality ;)

i think in terms of vhs transfers Yokohama is one of the clearest MJ concerts out there, and if Wembley is like that, as a VHS source then i would be very happy, and yes I think HD has spoiled the general population when it comes to releases as you aren't going to get a blu ray of the Bad tour as no one concert seems to have been filmed for that capability otherwise that is what we would be getting.

Here's my Yoko enhancement compare :D
Yoko is a bootleg so don't expect it to look amazing, but it's good quality ;)

That's impressive! I'm always amazed at how you guys can do these types of things :lol:

Bad tour as no one concert seems to have been filmed for that capability otherwise that is what we would be getting.

There are. But we ain't getting it just like that. Why Ghosts isn't released? Hmm. And why there is no Blu-Ray of Munich 1997 as it is fully possible? And no Captain EO? :scratch: Maybe they lost all masters of them? Huh

Last edited:
cause best of's sell better then stuff that mostly the fans want.

Surely the quality will be better than that awful preview clip?

Surely the quality will be better than that awful preview clip?

4f85088b186133411f06ed6b.jpg

How do you know?

Cause try to use logic. Who on earth would ever release a footage with quality like that? It won't be amazing most probably, but I expect it to be good. Cause there's no way that VHS is in THAT BAD standing otherwise they wouldn't even announce it or release it. There simply wouldn't have been any Bad tour release.
Cause that kind of material is unreleasable in terms of quality, so I cannot take serious the teaser snippet.

Cause try to use logic. Who on earth would ever release a footage with quality like that? It won't be amazing most probably, but I expect it to be good. Cause there's no way that VHS is in THAT BAD standing otherwise they wouldn't even announce it or release it. There simply wouldn't have been any Bad tour release.

You seem to be forgetting the garbage they've released thus far. If there is money to be made they will release anything, regardless of quality. If it was good quality then why did the preview clip not represent that?

You seem to be forgetting the garbage they've released thus far. If there is money to be made they will release anything, regardless of quality. If it was good quality then why did the preview clip not represent that?

Even that ''garbage'' as you say is better than this as it looks like shot on old cellphone. I believe DVD will look way better.
And yeah that indeed doesn't make sense why clip didn't represent it. I cannot explain that.

... This is a copy of the nocturne masters (shot on every show) of which the estate have the masters.

This guy already tried selling copies on a web site which the estate rapidly closed down.

It seems unlikely that this auction will be completed. But the auction house is going to get a ton of free publicity even if the tape is withdrawn - win/win for them.

Bump (er Snippet)

This is what GoFlying had to say about the nocturne masters.
And he probably knows more than we all together.

For those who don't know:
GoFlying is the guy who created the master mix of the wembley shows, two nights i think. 15th & 16th if i remember right.
His mix is in the APOM video & was used for the doc on mtv. His mix will be on the Bad25 live cd 6 hopefully on the dvd.

i think in terms of vhs transfers Yokohama is one of the clearest MJ concerts out there, and if Wembley is like that, as a VHS source then i would be very happy, and yes I think HD has spoiled the general population when it comes to releases as you aren't going to get a blu ray of the Bad tour as no one concert seems to have been filmed for that capability otherwise that is what we would be getting.

Yes, I agree with you that in terms of VHS transfer, Yokohama is the best MJ concert DVD. But, why would I think in terms of VHS transfer when talking about an official release? Seriously, before the announcement, did you expect to have an official DVD release which is ripped from a consumer grade VHS tape? Have you ever entertained the idea that the Michael Jackson Estate and Sony do not possess a better source than a VHS tape? Never in my wildest dream that I think they don't have nothing but a VHS tape.

You said we shouldn't expect a Blu-ray. Why? We know at least part of the concerts were recorded on film. Moreover, it's not fans' expectations only. The general audience is expecting Blu-ray.

its been brought up in few thereads that michaels concerts are not marketable, meaning there is no demand for them.
to us thats unbelivable. is it maybe really true?

why did bucharest dvd sell only 2,5mio(?) ?
ok, it was televised 1000 times in the last 20 years. but still, its hq on dvd.
in times of internet, youtube, filesharing its understandble why. but his dvds of videos sell better.

its been brought up in few thereads that michaels concerts are not marketable, meaning there is no demand for them.
to us thats unbelivable. is it maybe really true?

ok, it was televised 1000 times in the last 20 years. but still, its hq on dvd.
in times of internet, youtube, filesharing its understandble why. but his dvds of videos sell better.

Actually, I think 2.5 million copies are decent. Generally speaking, concert DVD is not as marketable as movies or albums.

Because unless people go on Michael Jackson forums, no one knows it was released. I know I never saw any kind of promotion for it...

im not sure about the number. maybe its less then that.
yes movies and albums sell hell alot more.
but i was very suprised about the bucharest sells. i was expecting to be much more, 10mio or so. his videos dvds have sold more then the live dvd. that was very strange to me.

Yes, I agree with you that in terms of VHS transfer, Yokohama is the best MJ concert DVD. But, why would I think in terms of VHS transfer when talking about an official release? Seriously, before the announcement, did you expect to have an official DVD release which is ripped from a consumer grade VHS tape? Have you ever entertained the idea that the Michael Jackson Estate and Sony do not possess a better source than a VHS tape? Never in my wildest dream that I think they don't have nothing but a VHS tape.

You said we shouldn't expect a Blu-ray. Why? We know at least part of the concerts were recorded on film. Moreover, it's not fans' expectations only. The general audience is expecting Blu-ray.

Definitely not but that is what we have been left with, so in terms of previous transfers Im looking at what we can expect from release and from the comments thus far I dont think the release has merited this reaction to be honest, who knows what lies in vaults when it pertains to the Bad tour but this time and place it doesnt seem to be, because all they have is multi tracks taken from one set of gigs and a VHS tape to match it up with, even with Nocturne having recorded every gig, it seems the estate have a lot of questions to answer but what we have been left with is still a pretty good showing considering this release was only a dream months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back