Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

Would you all listen!! Yokomah was shot on FILM! not video or VHS. If you look in the front row you can see two reel film cameras not the typical video cameras. Also, in Japan since 1980, the video standard was 1080+ High Definition television. Now despite this many people didn't have HD t.v.s so they could only watch and record video in standard definition which is what we've seen from the Yokomah recordings. Also, Janet said during an interview that her Rhythm Nation tour (broadcast on Japan T.V.), like Michael Jackson's Bad Tour, was shot in HD and that she was surprised the HD is only now catching on all these years later. So yokomah was recorded on FILM!!

Re: Wembley 1988... Is it upscaled to HD? Blue-ray?.. Audio.... ?

the official statement talks about how they use audio multitracks from the concert, so we will have the VHS as a video source and the multitracks for audio

Would you all listen!! Yokomah was shot on FILM! not video or VHS. If you look in the front row you can see two reel film cameras not the typical video cameras. Also, in Japan since 1980, the video standard was 1080+ High Definition television. Now despite this many people didn't have HD t.v.s so they could only watch and record video in standard definition which is what we've seen from the Yokomah recordings. Also, Janet said during an interview that her Rhythm Nation tour (broadcast on Japan T.V.), like Michael Jackson's Bad Tour, was shot in HD and that she was surprised the HD is only now catching on all these years later. So yokomah was recorded on FILM!!

Just because it was shot on film doesn't mean the Estate has access or the rights to use the footage. Nocturne Productions filmed it, and they were hired by MJ, but also the entertainment company running and managing the tour probably had to be involved in the contract, along with Sony. So what we have is most likely a giant legal mess and even if the footage was able to be legally cleared for usage, then the Estate will try and lowball Nocturne Productions and Nocturne Productions is probably trying to get as much money as they can and possibly want royalties for their usage. There are tons of reasons I can think of in regards to why the footage cant be used. If the Estate had the film masters they would use them, and Im sure they tried to do so.

the concert is going to be on dvd only.
if you want upscale,your tv can do that instead of sony.

Just because it was shot on film doesn't mean the Estate has access or the rights to use the footage. Nocturne Productions filmed it, and they were hired by MJ, but also the entertainment company running and managing the tour probably had to be involved in the contract, along with Sony. So what we have is most likely a giant legal mess and even if the footage was able to be legally cleared for usage, then the Estate will try and lowball Nocturne Productions and Nocturne Productions is probably trying to get as much money as they can and possibly want royalties for their usage. There are tons of reasons I can think of in regards to why the footage cant be used. If the Estate had the film masters they would use them, and Im sure they tried to do so.

Yes, i understand all that. What I don't understand is why would Mike allow someone to film his concert and he not own the rights to release the footage. In most cases he would higher a film crew as a "work for hire" to film the concert and he is then automatically the owner of the footage. I read some where that the person who recorded the show would be the owners of the masters and Michael would just have access to use the footage as he please. it's like say if you highered someone to film your wedding they would give you HQ copies but they would keep the master copies. Now if Mike allowed someone to film the concert to air on t.v. and he didn't like the footage and wouldn't allow them to release it that's another story because both parties would have to agree to release the footage.

From what I've read, the audio is directly from the masters provided by GoFlying. His mix (snippets of which have leaked online) will be on the live CD. The concert is currently only being released on DVD. Many fans have whined about that and have even started a PETITION for a LA concert to be released on Blu-ray. It's impossible to please fans anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong :D

Mate,

Maybe you need to go to my thread (petition) to read why I even started the whole thing. Has nothing to do with being satisfied whatsoever.

what Michael has in his private VHS collection (???)
fbc74cec46.jpg

what most fans have
5a92207f1c.jpg

f9295bb79b.jpg

what traders have
38f04f5478.jpg

f3a3568d5a.jpg

how the official DVD MUST look like
vlcsnap2012050619h05m23.png

what we actually should be getting (1080p blu-ray)
3750198db0.jpg

Last edited:

I share the EXACT same opinion as you lom kit when it comes to this.

what Michael has in his private VHS collection (???)
fbc74cec46.jpg

what most fans have
5a92207f1c.jpg

f9295bb79b.jpg

what traders have
38f04f5478.jpg

f3a3568d5a.jpg

how the official DVD MUST look like
vlcsnap2012050619h05m23.png

3750198db0.jpg

yes
+1

^ Man, yes.. that's what we need and what it deserves.
Unbelievable.

I wonder why you need a bluray release, it would not look much better than the dvd.
The DVD quality will look good, not perfect, but sony would not release the dvd in bad quality

@lomkit
Your comparison is too right...I feel sad.. :(
it is 2012... I don't think our demand is too greedy cause this is official release.
Thank you for showing the captures.

If they released it on DVD only with real DVD quality, I wouldn't mind. What we're getting is not even VHS quality. If you bought a concert released in the 90s as a new VHS tape at a store you'd get better quality. This is a rip from a consumer grade VHS that is almost 25 years old. IMO this should be released only as a bonus disc, not a standalone DVD release for the mass market. If they have access to any other Bad Tour concert in higher quality, they're committing a crime by releasing this one only (no matter how good the performance itself is).

the concert is going to be on dvd only.
if you want upscale,your tv can do that instead of sony.

Yes, a TV can upscale a movie/film/video, but it can't give the video more quality, if a video is upscaled, it can look ugly...

i don't know how many and what kind of people work at the estate, but there must be one enployee who has the heart of a fan. not "i like michael jacksons music" kind of guys. there must be real fan inside, that feels, knows what every fan wants, how he wants it. that way releases wont be such failers. for now bad 25 is to me 80% good done job.

I'm gonna enjoy watching the concert even if the quality is not that great. I can't wait till September!

If they released it on DVD only with real DVD quality, I wouldn't mind. What we're getting is not even VHS quality. If you bought a concert released in the 90s as a new VHS tape at a store you'd get better quality. This is a rip from a consumer grade VHS that is almost 25 years old. IMO this should be released only as a bonus disc, not a standalone DVD release for the mass market. If they have access to any other Bad Tour concert in higher quality, they're committing a crime by releasing this one only (no matter how good the performance itself is).

My words exactly! They know we are so hyped for any official DVD that we'd accept the cheapest thing they'd throw at us. If they have to pay someone to get better footage then they had better get to paying. The fans will pay a little extra for better footage. And yes they may only have the multi-tracks from Wembley but they should have the audio tracks from all the other shows mixed exactly how the fans heard them in the arena.

I can't wait to see the concert!! I'm so excited

As long as the concert is released I'm happy about it!

DVD quality sucks. On large flat screens. DVDs suck. Thats why you need bluray. and i agree with LomKit :)

A mod should send those comparison pictures to Sony. Seriously.

LomKit - very right!

3750198db0.jpg

This is exactly what I envisioned when the rumours of a Bad tour release were circulating...So, when the announcement finally happened, it was disappointing to know we'd only be getting VHS quality. It's only natural when you're wishing for a better quality released OFFICIALLY after 25 years.

This is exactly what I envisioned when the rumours of a Bad tour release were circulating...So, when the announcement finally happened, it was disappointing to know we'd only be getting VHS quality. It's only natural when you're wishing for a better quality released OFFICIALLY after 25 years.

True. :(

Mate,

Maybe you need to go to my thread (petition) to read why I even started the whole thing. Has nothing to do with being satisfied whatsoever.

I know, I know. Just a little jab at the fans who want it. Hope no one was insulted by my post:)

@alwaysthere
you are so wrong.

I said correct me if I was wrong, bro.

I just hope that the official release will be better than the bootleg one's.

Anyway, no matter what, they at least have the HQ sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back