Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

You sure they CAN do it? Why didn't they announce it? :scratch:

I'm sure they have full L.A. concerts because there is so much snippets from many songs. Brace Yourself video has many too.

If they have it - it WILL be released someday!

DVD from a VHS release of Wembley vs DVD/Blu-Ray release of LA '89 (or any other concert in better quality for that matter)?

Blu-Ray of LA I'd take over it anytime of course.

I'm sure they have full L.A. concerts because there is so much snippets from many songs. Brace Yourself video has many too.

Someone please contact appropriate institutions about LA BR release (or any other concert)! :)

I am quite sure the estate will release something with the best quality they could ever find or make. I wonder if they would release it in Blu-ray, because the picture and especially the sound quality is amazing. I just hope its as perfect as i except. Just gettin the DVD was the best news this year. So exciting!! :)

If the press release is to be trusted at face value (no marketing gimmick whatsoever), the source of this DVD is a 25-year old consumer grade VHS tape, so we can pretty much rule out the possibility of Blu-ray. It's just not feasible.

Yes, picture and sound on Blu-ray are amazing. This Is It and Moonwalker Blu-ray are such a joy to watch. However, this upcoming DVD, even after restoration, will never be Blu-ray quality. At best, it'll be a very very good VHS quality recording on a DVD disc.

If your expecation is that of "perfect" quality, then you are bound to be disappointed.

I am still looking forward to this release! - It will be great!

Hope they will then release LA 89 on Blu-Ray in a few years. - That way we will get two BAD concerts!!

They won't release Wembley 88 and LA 89 within a few years. Not everyone in the world is Michael Jackson fan. Why would a casual fan buy the same concert twice? Only fans like us can tell the difference. Wembley 88 and LA 89 were basically the same concert with almost identical tracklist and costumes. After the release of Wembley 88 this year, LA 89 will not be marketable until after a long time. That's why I keep saying Bad 25 is a very important project. I hope they nail it. We will not see another Bad related project within a few years. Think about it this way. Bad 25 is already a re-release. Another release will be re-re-release. How many versions of the same stuff are people willing to buy?

Yes, we need to be optimistic and have faith. Yet, we also need to face reality.

Well....i dont feel like waiting for BAD50 to finally get a Bluray when everyone else is using vitual reality movies.

^^this is exactly my frustration. knowing the way michael worked, i just can't imagine he did not record the tour on film. for whatever reason, the film is not used. if they don't use the film recording for this release, then when? in another 10 years, in bad 50.

BAD50. i think it was just decided when we get a Bluray. BAD50

Blu-Ray of LA I'd take over it anytime of course.

I must say I agree. I've always wanted Wembley very much. - But that was before I knew it would be a VHS rip...

If they have other concerts in great quality they should have released on of them. - Or all of them!! :)

BUT still prefer Wembley VHS rip than if they had released BAD Yokohama on Blu-Ray. - At least Wembley we've never seen before!

Now we get Wembley we already is talking about the next concert release we want.

LA 89 on Blu-Ray thanks!

Poor SONY... They really tried this time, and still we are not happy. :lol: - OR sure we are all very happy, but the concern regaring quality is bigger than the joy for many I think....

They won't release Wembley 88 and LA 89 within a few years. Not everyone in the world is Michael Jackson fan. Why would a casual fan buy the same concert twice? Only fans like us can tell the difference. Wembley 88 and LA 89 were basically the same concert with almost identical tracklist and costumes. After the release of Wembley 88 this year, LA 89 will not be marketable until after a long time. That's why I keep saying Bad 25 is a very important project. I hope they nail it. We will not see another Bad related project within a few years. Think about it this way. Bad 25 is already a re-release. Another release will be re-re-release. How many versions of the same stuff are people willing to buy?

Yes, we need to be optimistic and have faith. Yet, we also need to face reality.

Well, Queen released Live in Wembley 1986 2 nights. Saturday and Friday concert. It's 2 DVD package. Just sayin'.

Well, Queen released Live in Wembley 1986 2 nights. Saturday and Friday concert. It's 2 DVD package. Just sayin'.

OH MY GOD!! If SONY released another Wembley concert too - that would be GREAT!!

Or release them all. - A 7 DVD fan-box!! - Maybe even Blu-Ray too!! :lol:

So? Not everybody releases the same kind of stuff in the same kind of way. The Friday concert was more of a bonus btw. The Saturday concert was the main release.

You also failed to mentioned that it was first release in 1990 on an edited VHS that was missing 11 songs. The live album was released '92 with the concert in its entirety. It wasn't until 2003 that the whole concert was released on DVD.

And it wasn't until last year that the 25th anniversary edition of the concert was released as a deluxe 2-DVD set.

So yeah...

Last edited:

Now we get Wembley we already is talking about the next concert release we want.

LA 89 on Blu-Ray thanks!

Poor SONY... They really tried this time, and still we are not happy. :lol: - OR sure we are all very happy, but the concern regaring quality is bigger than the joy for many I think....

Don't feel sorry for Sony. Sony doesn't distribute the DVD for free. It's a business.

WE ARE HAPPY. Seriously, I'm excited. That doesn't mean we have to ignore the quality issue. I don't understand it. The concern about quality isn't unreasonable. It's not like they are releasing a Blu-ray sourced from film and we are asking for hologram and 3D and virtual reality.

OH MY GOD!! If SONY released another Wembley concert too - that would be GREAT!!

Or release them all. - A 7 DVD fan-box!! - Maybe even Blu-Ray too!! :lol:

Yeah would be cool if they released 2 nights or better yet other concert as well like MSG or LA in package together with Wembley :)

So? Not everybody releases the same kind of stuff in the same kind of way. The Friday concert was more of a bonus btw. The Saturday concert was the main release.

Yeah and would be cool if we get such ''bonus'' as well.

As a matter of fact, this is my suggestion - release both Wembley 88 and LA 89. If LA 89 is of better quality, then Wembley 88 VHS rip should be a bonus feature. Pack them together.

The Queen concerts were not released seperately. There is no reason for me to believe Sony would release LA 89, the same concert, within a short period of time. From a business standpoint, it's pointless.

Maybe im not a good MJ fan...but i dont see the difference between Wembley and L.A....lol err i havent watched much live MJ.

As a matter of fact, this is my suggestion - release both Wembley 88 and LA 89. If LA 89 is of better quality, then Wembley 88 VHS rip should be a bonus feature. Pack them together.

The Queen concerts were not released seperately. There is no reason for me to believe Sony would release LA 89, the same concert, within a short period of time. From a business standpoint, it's pointless.

This...

You also failed to mentioned that it was first released in 1990 on an edited VHS that was missing 11 songs. The live album was released '92 with the concert in its entirety. It wasn't until 2003 that the whole concert was released on DVD.

And it wasn't until last year that the 25th anniversary edition of the concert was released as a deluxe 2-DVD set.

It indeed took years of bitching and complaining from the fans until QPL properly released it. It wasn't all so great as some might think...

Though at that point, Queen fans were saturated with "Magic Tour" material...

Still, it was the proper way to release it. So for the sake of everybody's personal collection, Queen fans bought it. They probably only watched it once or twice before forgetting about it...

Last edited:

Don't feel sorry for Sony. Sony doesn't distribute the DVD for free. It's a business.

WE ARE HAPPY. Seriously, I'm excited. That doesn't mean we have to ignore the quality issue. I don't understand it. The concern about quality isn't unreasonable. It's not like they are releasing a Blu-ray sourced from film and we are asking for hologram and 3D and virtual reality.

I am very concerned about the quality too. Waiting 25 years for something and then get it in VHS quality sucks. - So I really hope the quality is good!

Yeah would be cool if they released 2 nights or better yet other concert as well like MSG or LA in package together with Wembley :)

Indeed!! - Would be awesome!

They should release both!

Maybe im not a good MJ fan...but i dont see the difference between Wembley and L.A....lol err i havent watched much live MJ.

It's not that you are not a good MJ fan. Most people don't watch the same thing repeatedly. We need a break. Otherwise, our enjoyment will suffer. It's the law of diminishing returns. Ever heard of the lemonade example? On a hot summer day, if I treat you a glass of lemonade, you'd enjoy it very much. It feels refreshing. If I treat you a second glass, you wouldn't feel as good as when you drink the first glass. When I treat you a third glass, your taste bud would get tired. Your satisfaction would go down the more lemonade you drink.

Only the most hardcore fans would watch the same concert series repeatedly. Most people would watch the DVD and check out the bonus feature and would not buy another DVD of the same concert series. As much as I love Michael, I have to admit that he's not the one and only artist and entertainer, there are many other movies and concerts that people can enjoy.

LA 89 on Blu-Ray thanks!

This is true....We're getting more than we thought...However, as we've all been saying, it's just frustrating that the ONLY way we can see this as part of this kick-ass release is in VHS source...Sort of a downer when you think about how much better it really can be.....When you see tons of other live concert Blurays among other artists, and the biggest star in the world gets a VHS to DVD release....Just seems a little unfair....Of course, I'm super excited, and will definitely buy it, but it is natural for us to want a better quality if we know it's out there somewhere.....:D

This is true....We're getting more than we thought...However, as we've all been saying, it's just frustrating that the ONLY way we can see this as part of this kick-ass release is in VHS source...Sort of a downer when you think about how much better it really can be.....When you see tons of other live concert Blurays among other artists, and the biggest star in the world gets a VHS to DVD release....Just seems a little unfair....Of course, I'm super excited, and will definitely buy it, but it is natural for us to want a better quality if we know it's out there somewhere.....:D

I agree and feel the same way.

It indeed took years of bitching and complaining from the fans until QPL properly released it. It wasn't all so great as some might think...

Though at that point, Queen fans were saturated with "Magic Tour" material...

Still, it was the proper way to release it. So for the sake of everybody's personal collection, Queen fans bought it. They probably only watched it once or twice before forgetting about it...

I take a look to the time line, it indeed took 25 years for the Queen concert to be released properly. That's why I keep telling people not to expect another Bad release any time soon. It's just the way business works. Sony needs to think about whether there is enough demand.

LA on Bluray is a dream of mine! I prefer this over the wembley show. I've always said that and or BAD25 I did hope that they would release this concert. There is so much footage of it online (Brace Yourself, Soul Train, etc.). You can clearly see how fresh the picture is.

I think the estate owns the film reels of LA, but not a multitrack sound recording. Maybe the reason that they couldn't use the audio of LA for Wembley was the reason to release the VHS rip instead.

And by the way u really do not believe that this VHS was Michael's.

Could be. Would be a stupid move though.

LA on Bluray is a dream of mine! I prefer this over the wembley show. I've always said that and or BAD25 I did hope that they would release this concert. There is so much footage of it online (Brace Yourself, Soul Train, etc.). You can clearly see how fresh the picture is.

I think the estate owns the film reels of LA, but not a multitrack sound recording. Maybe the reason that they couldn't use the audio of LA for Wembley was the reason to release the VHS rip instead.

And by the way u really do not believe that this VHS was Michael's.

Could be. Would be a stupid move though.

I don't know if I believe that this is Michael's personal copy....In my opinion, if this is the only source they have, then they've given us this story to placate us...It's like they're saying, 'I'm sorry, this is all we have, BUT it's Michael's own personal VHS copy'.....You know, to cater to the fans' sentimentality, soften us up a bit..;)

^^^

LOL - you might be right!

BUT HOW - HOW can a VHS be all they have?? - it's very weird!

MJ deserves best quality available!

And for the timebeing - that is Blu-Ray!

the rolling stones have 10 bluray releases. one of it is packege of few shows from one tour. bluray is about 6years old.
so, two releases after one other not markable?
ok!

Michael always was disappointed in the recordings of the audio at the gigs , which would be your typical audio included on any news reports etc, and brought in a team to record the wembley gigs properly, i believe thats how the multi tracks of those two days at Wembley exist and can be matched up with the video at present, however the LA video.. while probably being on par with the quality of the rest of the tours video recordings (at least if stored properly!?!), it didn't have an adequate sound that he was looking for, to be included on a release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back