BAD25 - designated Discussion Thread

Re: Michael Jackson BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For

I find it funny that just a week ago we had certain users posting everyday "Please release Bad Tour Wembley on video" over and over again and now it's finally happening but people arent excited. That being said, I am thankful that people expect a quality release but please give the estate credit for listening to their fans 100%.

We wanted untouched demos and a live concert, we got both and a live audio cd as well. Also being promoted well with a single and the whole pepsi thing. The estate knows what people want.

What are the bonuses in that collector's case? Anyone know if the picture disc is 1) the original album 2) the revised single mix version, or 3) Bad 25 new songs.

:rofl: :lmao:

We were excited and we still are.

I also remember many people jokingly saying to release the VHS. And, yep, indeed, they're releasing it...

That news broadcast was compressed and streamed on the internet. They probably didn't even bother "upscaling" it to the broadcast format.

This broadcast filmed off-screen by a viewer is probably a more accurate depiction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlMxFCiH2k&feature=related

It looks a little bit better but also keep in mind it has been cropped to 16:9 and badly scaled to 1080i (unlike what we use with Cyberlink, Virtualdub and whatnot).

It is also typical for them to compress the videos a little bit, as if they want their BROADCASTS to stand out more than footage they use.

And either they didn't bother with the audio from his VHS or it's been compressed.

Captain EO shot in 1986 in 3-D for theater screens (when no one was shooting in 3-D):

MICHAEL-JACKSON-CAPTAIN-EO_SOULTONOREILLE.jpg

BAD TOUR shot in 1988 (two years later) with HQ cameras, to be released in 2012 in VHS quality (thus 26 years later when everyone is releasing material on blu ray and in 3D):

michael-jackson-87-bad-tour-live-in-osaka-ehanced-4bc59.jpg

This is not a complaint. Just two questions:

Why?

Where is the film?

Captain EO shot in 1986 in 3-D for theater screens (when no one was shooting in 3-D):

BAD TOUR shot in 1988 (two years later) with HQ cameras, to be released in 2012 in VHS quality (thus 26 years later when everyone is releasing material on blu ray and in 3D):

This is not a complaint. Just two questions:

Why?

Where is the film?

I think this has been explained numerous times now - if the Estate only have access to a VHS tape (rather than the original film negatives) then it's not going to be easy to upscale the video to the kind of quality we want to see.

That news broadcast was compressed and streamed on the internet. They probably didn't even bother "upscaling" it to the broadcast format.

This broadcast filmed off-screen by a viewer is probably a more accurate depiction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlMxFCiH2k&feature=related

It looks a little bit better but also keep in mind it has been cropped to 16:9 and badly scaled to 1080i (unlike what we use with Cyberlink, Virtualdub and whatnot).

It is also typical for them to compress the videos a little bit, as if they want their BROADCASTS to stand out more than footage they use.

And either they didn't bother with the audio from his VHS or it's been compressed.

Still looks rather bad. Very, very, very compressed and zoomed to 16:9 is also madness. Why they did that? :doh:
But DVDs gonna look better for sure. Also they're ''restoring'' it so maybe it will end up very nice.

imagine this.
what if the spike lee documantary is released on blu-ray packed together with blu-ray of one of the bad concerts. the documentary isnt part of the anniversary project.
it does come like doble dipping, but if the documentsry was included in the packege the price would be to high cause then its 5 disc.
this could be very possible :)

Yeah it could. But it just COULD be possible. It would be awesome, but I doubt it a lot.

BTW if it's really Michael's personal VHS, I believe it should be in good standing. Cause I doubt Michael would have watched it 1000 times and kept it in some old closet bad environment meaning the VHS shouldn't have been degraded. So there should be logically good chance of it looking great in the remastered DVD (if they remaster properly).

^ I cant answer but i can say you are being unfair with the second screen cap, thats not what we're getting at all!

If they use the VHS quality, that's what you'll get on a big screen. On a small screen you won't have any problems.

If they use the VHS quality, that's what you'll get on a big screen. On a small screen you won't have any problems.

If they hire Lowry Digital, it would look neat and nailed I assure. But that would cost a lot of money so I doubt it.

If they hire Lowry Digital, it would look neat and nailed I assure. But that would cost a lot of money so I doubt it.

How? Stretch 250 pixels to 750 without loss?

It's less to do with collectors but more with people who actually worked on Bad tour.

people misremember things from 25 years ago. If even Thriller wasn't shot at 32mm, nor any of the videoclips, why Michael would do this for things he would use probably only for personal purpose? or will anyone here tell me Michael liked to release his concerts? when I said wasted money, I wasn't talking for me, but from Michael's head

Guys,

In excitement of BAD25, I have uploaded the NEW BUCHAREST experience in high quality audio!!! Download it at the audio section!!!!!

This is what it could look like if they try.It's my take on the VMA show from 1988.The quality will look better than what we got, I can really bet on it.

Guys,

In excitement of BAD25, I have uploaded the NEW BUCHAREST experience in high quality audio!!! Download it at the audio section!!!!!

awesome!!! could somebody please PM me the password so i can get into the 2000 watts section?? thankyou!!

I say forget about the picture quality of the Bad Tour DVD.......A remastered one will come eventually (maybe another 25 years time).....

.....But I'm more glad to actually get the chance to watch the full concert.....its a dream come true!!!...

.....and it also means that future generations will be able to see Michael in what he does best!!!!

BTW if it's really Michael's personal VHS, I believe it should be in good standing. Cause I doubt Michael would have watched it 1000 times and kept it in some old closet bad environment meaning the VHS shouldn't have been degraded. So there should be logically good chance of it looking great in the remastered DVD (if they remaster properly).

Unfortunately that's not quite true.

It is true that because of the mechanical way the tape interacted with the tape head, VHS tapes were effectively being worn and potentially stretched every time they were used - a disadvantage that current disc technology (BluRay and DVD) and digital storage don't have. If the VHS has never or rarely been played then the amount of wear and stretch on the tape is unlikely to be very significant.

However, VHS was a consumer grade magnetic method of storing video and so even without being played it degrades significantly over time. This is accelerated in certain conditions. Careful storage can reduce the effects but it will still happen. VHS start to degrade significantly by the time 25 years has passed. Professional grade media (i.e. not VHS) will usually last longer (30 - 40 years).

Restoration can be very successful but it's best when restoring video from master film recordings. Restoration from old VHS is very limited.

Who wanna bet that we'll get a better quality than yokohama

will be happy if it has same quality as yokohama!!

people misremember things from 25 years ago. If even Thriller wasn't shot at 32mm, nor any of the videoclips, why Michael would do this for things he would use probably only for personal purpose? or will anyone here tell me Michael liked to release his concerts? when I said wasted money, I wasn't talking for me, but from Michael's head

You just don't understand do you. It's not even my assumption. I know it for a fact. If you have problems understanding it or believing it, then don't. That's not my problem.

What i dont understand is if they decided to film in some parts for Moonwalker on Film why didnt they just film in the whole concert?
I mean they already had the equipment there.. For people who are saying it would have been to expensive, i mean wouldent it be a waste if they just shot one song if they had access to the equipment for the whole concert? Or am i completly off here? :p

What i dont understand is if they decided to film in some parts for Moonwalker on Film why didnt they just film in the whole concert?
I mean they already had the equipment there.. For people who are saying it would have been to expensive, i mean wouldent it be a waste if they just shot one song if they had access to the equipment for the whole concert? Or am i completly off here? :p

The records are there.It's just that the Estate/Sony don't have enough rights to release them OR the price for releasing them is higher than what they want.

^exactly. hired the whole film crew and equipment for only one song, that's the totally waste of money and resources. what I found more funny is Michael was known of his generosity, according to Elisabeth, to a fault, but he couldn't afford the film? it made no sense at all.

vhsiw4.jpg

vhs 4:3

dvdeh8.jpg

widescreen

this would be nice.. but sony doesn't have the original source (for the wembley sow) :( smh

The records are there.It's just that the Estate/Sony don't have enough rights to release them OR the price for releasing them is higher than what they want.
Michael always made sure he owned his work 100% and had totally control. he was the one hired the film crew to shoot his concerts, I can't see any reason he didn't have publishing rights when he had placed the songs, audience shoots from his different concerts on many of his videos.

No, you are not off. I also think it doesn't make sense that Michael would only have the crew to shoot one song he performed on film. Like you just said, both the crew and equipment were ready. Instead of shooting the complete show, they shot only MITM and APOM? Was 32mm film really that expensive in 1988?

Say I want to rennovate my home, as paint on one wall in my living room is peeling. I need to hire a professional painter to do the job for me. Since I have moved all my furniture and paid this guy, I may just buy a few more buckets of paint and ask him to paint all four walls in my living room. Paint costs nothing, when compare to the money I need to pay the painting guy.

The highest expenditure of filming is not the film roll itself, but the photographer and his crew. It's interesting how we would rather believe the only souce of Bad Tour that can be used is an old VHS tape than the existence of original master.

Back