BAD25 - designated Discussion Thread

Re: Michael Jackson BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For

guys transfers of concerts such as Brunei and the unreleased Bueno Aries gigs have shown that vhs can be transferred to decent quality, even fans have transferred great quality concerts from VHS, furthermore this will be remastered and the visuals will be vastly improved to dvd quality, 720 576 4:3 resolution, better than anything we have or will ever get, much better than a concert with Louis productions plastered all over it!

we are very lucky for this to be seeing the light of day be grateful for that, and wait til you are watching it to worry and complain about picture quality.

Also I wanna pre-order just the dvd for now from Amazon but I don't trust they're info yet...so I'm going to hold out a bit till I see how long the dvd is. It cannot be 60 mins only!

I'm glad they're giving us four months of anticipation rather than throwing all the news at us in a single month, like the MICHAEL album. C'mon, guys and gals. Just think about it.

* CD of unreleased, untouched material.
* Live CD from Wembley '88 (most likely in the quality of the leaked clips)
* Bad World Tour - Live in Wembley 1988

Looking back, how long have we wanted this? Long before Michael's death. The Estate is finally listening to what fans have been asking for. Yes, the Bad concert is ripped from a VHS tape. But yes, they can make it look amazing. I used to have an old friend (unfortunately passed in Hurricane Katrina back in '06) who had this pro equipment. He'd take old VHS tapes that he/I had and enhance them to near perfect quality. He made half of the poor quality VHS's that I owned (including home videos taken by myself or a family member) and make them look gorgeous. The Estate can make BAD in Wembley look amazing, trust me. We'll be able to see the individual sweat beads rolling down Michael's FACE if they do it right :p Also, if you notice, the Royal Brunei show, from what I've heard, has also been ripped from a VHS. And fans have restored that to FANTASTIC quality.

The Daybreak clip isn't the final quality. They just hurried a small teaser out without remastering it. If you look at the official teaser, it looks pretty rushed, honestly. I guarantee that the concert will look amazing. I'm not saying people can't be disappointed. It's completely understandable. I'm just asking people to re-evaluate the situation and realize how lucky we have it. Come on! Let's get pumped! AAOW! :clap:

it won't be, no michael jackson concert complete was ever 60 minutes

The Daybreak clip isn't the final quality. They just hurried a small teaser out without remastering it. If you look at the official teaser, it looks pretty rushed, honestly. I guarantee that the concert will look amazing. I'm not saying people can't be disappointed. It's completely understandable. I'm just asking people to re-evaluate the situation and realize how lucky we have it. Come on! Let's get pumped! AAOW! :clap:

Daybreak pan'ed and scan'ed the image to fill their HD broadcast, which reduces quality...this is not what you will view on the dvd when you watch it.

I really hope they will put TWYMMF on the dvd as bonus, i one of my favo songs and performances.
4 long months ahead of us.

the compression with the leaked previews and clips has been awful, not a good representation of what we will view on our tv at all! :)

Tons and tons of movies have been converted and have been proven to turn out great.
Huh? If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, such movies have been taken from a film negative, not from a ~ 400*280, > 23 years old, magnetic fading VHS tape!

People need to stop freaking out about the dvd being converted from a vhs tape.
People IMO rather need to stop freaking out about everything that gets released, no matter how "BAD" it is.
And after the "Michael" disaster, I'm not sure I can even believe it's Michael's personal VHS tape, and even so, what makes the transfer from it more special than a VHS not having been in his collection? Do you think you will see Michael's reflection on the TV watching it?

guys transfers of concerts such as Brunei and the unreleased Bueno Aries gigs have shown that vhs can be transferred to decent quality, even fans have transferred great quality concerts from VHS, furthermore this will be remastered and the visuals will be vastly improved to dvd quality, 720 576 4:3 resolution, better than anything we have or will ever get, much better than a concert with Louis productions plastered all over it!

we are very lucky for this to be seeing the light of day be grateful for that, and wait til you are watching it to worry and complain about picture quality.

I agree!!^^^^:yes:

Here I uploaded a test for you. It's enhanced sample by me. Queen live in Budapest 1986 which was released on VHS. No DVD releases.

Click 720p to see all details (obviously its not real HD)

See, it's not as bad! :) Looks like very good DVD to me. Estate can sure do it ton better than me for Wembley release :D

MJJLatvia - I sure hope you are right.

It would be a little disappointing if the quality was BAD...

But if you can convert a VHS into that quality surely SONY can do a good job too with Wembley.

Heres a thought why is it that the ameteur concert from Wembley thats availble has so many views.

Because Its MICHAEL JACKSON performing at the peak of his powers and even if it isnt great quality(fingers crossed it won't remember theres still 4 months and they have the most professional remastering software) we'll only have to see the intro before we stop caring about the quality.

Another question.

BAD25 disc 2 with new stuff and the BAD Live CD will leak a week before release or something like that.

BUT - do you think Wembley DVD will leak before release??

Maybe they decided to give us a VHS copy as a joke considering all the jokes we've been making throughout this thread about wanting it on VHS :p

:fear:

I might be in the minority here but I really liked that daybreak clip they showed. I will wait and see what it would look like on my tv but I just loved watching Michael for those few seconds there. Just watching it, it looks and feels special like it was 1988 again. It is special because it is from Michael's own collection. I like the fact that Princess Diana was there. She is gone too now and nice to see her having a good time.

Honestly I would trade this all to have Michael back again but that is not going to happen. I am going to treasure this and keep it to remember Michael by whatever quality it is. Sometimes watching something of Michael makes me sad but seeing him sing Bad and doing his side moonwalk brought a smile to my face. If it did for you then it's worth it.

could somebody please find out if the quality in the preview is final? Is this what we are going to get or has it not been remastered yet?

But if you can convert a VHS into that quality surely SONY can do a good job too with Wembley.
You should rather ask yourself: WILL they? Also, if the story is true the tape has been only recently been digitalized, whereas other VHS stuff hasn't been that old (23 years) by far (when it was digitalized)! Meaning the loss of sharpness (which you can't easily recover) is not that present.

My bet regarding them putting much effort in restoring the picture is 99% no. You need to consider the fans who remastered VHS material LOVED every minute of it, whereas often (not always) "not giving sh..." comes to mind when I think about official releases.

I don't understand why a discussion on video quality is being perceived as negative or attempt to rain on someone's parade; despite how we have stressed over and over again how happy we are to get the tour DVD in whatever quality. Isn't it a legit and relevant topic worth discussing? I actually find the discussion quite interesting. Have we become so weary that we can't tolerate comments that are not cheerleading in nature?

I think it's fine to talk about quality as long as it's not determined already that the quality will be bad when we have not even seen it yet. We will find out in 4 months.

I am not an expert on different film types and ratios and all that so I really can't say much about it.

Guys a little news so you can all relax

This morning I mentioned the MJ Online Team fans concerns about the DVD picture quality. Estate is aware of our concerns and apparently considering to address it over time. So can we chill for the meantime and wait for more information please?

The fact that Diana was there is nice, but the reality is all the shows were the same at the end of the day.
I'd prefer if they just called it LIVE AT WEMBLEY, so they could use the best-of each song and edit them seamlessly. And then give a credit at the end saying the dates they were filmed.

why would they want to do that??.....Getting to see an ENTIRE concert from beginning to end is indeed a treat....especially THIS particular concert. editing would only mess it all up and then it wouldn't be authentic anymore. I am so happy just to be able to see Michael in this one concert in its entirety without them messing with it. We all KNOW what happens when they start "messing" with stuff. I think we are just fortunate to be able to see this. Lets just enjoy...:)

This morning I mentioned the MJ Online Team fans concerns about the DVD picture quality. Estate is aware of our concerns and apparently considering to address it over time. So can we chill for the meantime and wait for more information please?

Thanks. I really hope they do everything they can to make this the best! Have you told them we would like some Bonus Material???

I think it's fine to talk about quality as long as it's not determined already that the quality will be bad when we have not even seen it yet. We will find out in 4 months.

People haven't made a final determination of quality based on just the YT clip. We have also read the official release saying the source of the DVD is a VHS tape. Hence, people have concern about video quality. As we all know, a transfer from a film negative is optimal, from VHS tape, less so. Our concerns are not pure assumptions.

Thanks Ivy. I'm not freaking out. I'm actually very satisfied with Bad 25 package. But, I also think it's okay for fans to voice our legit concerns. See, the MJ online team is again listening. Instead of negative, this can actually be a very constructive process.

The quality will be great, the audio is from multitracks (as stated in the official press release), the clips we're seeing appear to be unrendered raw video files. Sony will make it look fantastic at the end, I guarantee it, they are a pioneer in technology and are more than jut a music company.

^^^

Let's hope so.

Orly?

The shows were far from being the same 'at the end of the day'

No, they were all the same.
Sure, he might have sang a song better on one night than another, and the set might have cut a song or something (obviously changing the songs from 1st leg too).

But it was the same show.

In the end, when I finally get to sit back and watch this concert, I really won't care what type of quality it is....Michael's magic will always be there no matter what...

It just all depends on how you really want to enjoy the brilliance of Michael Jackson....I agree that fans should be able to voice their opinions no matter what it is...I don't agree with all out negativity, complaints, and bitching...But some concerns and a stimulating discussion is perfectly alright (it's obviously valid if MJonline will consider addressing it, they can see that people have some concerns)...People just need to realize the difference and respond accordingly...Please don't attack those who have legit concerns about the quality - we all want to enjoy Michael in the best quality we can get....It could turn out to be fantastic quality for what it is, who knows...

In the end, it's MJ and we all know when we finally sit down and see this, we'll be grinning from ear to ear :D

Just thought of something. Go look at The Twilight Zone recent releases, a show that was filmed in the late '50s/early '60s. It was filmed with cameras that were not up to standards with the cameras Michael filmed the Wembley show in. It was remastered for current releases and looks fantastic! (Minus the bassy audio, which was slightly improved in current releases). Not sure if that is the exact case -- the original masters were used for TTZ rather than a VHS tape -- but still.

Also, MJJLatvia's snippet looks amazing. MJJ, if possible, can you upload a side-by-side comparison? Just so we can see the original file against your remastered version? It would be appreciated:)

(Sorry, weird double post!)

why would they want to do that??.....Getting to see an ENTIRE concert from beginning to end is indeed a treat....especially THIS particular concert. editing would only mess it all up and then it wouldn't be authentic anymore. I am so happy just to be able to see Michael in this one concert in its entirety without them messing with it. We all KNOW what happens when they start "messing" with stuff. I think we are just fortunate to be able to see this. Lets just enjoy...:)

I agree Thunder, to be able to show one complete concert is a great decision. I can just see how the fans would've reacted if it would have been a montage, uggggg, I'm glad it is not so. They are truly listening to the fans, and I am very grateful for this great package!

Back