Beyoncé Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2014 MTV VMAs

Go figure. Are you honestly surprised? Her ego's bigger than her bank account and Rihanna's forehead.

:hysterical: :rollin: That's pretty damn big, but not as big as HIS ego. . .

Jermcryingagain_zps8336bd29.jpg

Babycantdealwithitlol_zps65724eb1.jpg

Goodfellaslmao_zpsfcae817c.jpg

Well. I guess Jay Z referenced Michael by calling it the Michael Jackson Vanguard award and then said Beyoncé was the greatest LIVING entertainer.

To be honest, I forgot all about the VMAs was going on tonight until the newsflash about Suge Knight being shot 6 times (at a Chris Brown pre-awards party) started trending all over Facebook. :fear:

What an awful performance. WTF happened to Beyonce. Remember when she was good because it really is starting to become a distant memory

What an awful performance. WTF happened to Beyonce. Remember when she was good because it really is starting to become a distant memory

Haven't seen the performance today so can't comment on it (but everyone else seems to be raving about it).

What I can say though is that I had the opportunity to go to one of her shows this past year. Having actually witnessed her in person, I can tell you without the slightest ounce of a doubt, she is EXTREMELY good at what she does and very much at the top of her game. Easily one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Britney Spears is more humble that Beyonce, WOW!

MTV stopped being relevant over a decade, it's no longer Music Television but "reality" show crap tv. I couldn't care less about the VMA's or watching Beyonce getting an award she didn't deserve. I'll pay attention when I see someone who really carries what the award means.

Am I the only one on here who thinks that Beyonce is overrated?

Britney Spears is more humble that Beyonce, WOW!

MTV stopped being relevant over a decade, it's no longer Music Television but "reality" show crap tv. I couldn't care less about the VMA's or watching Beyonce getting an award she didn't deserve. I'll pay attention when I see someone who really carries what the award means.

I dont really understand why is it only about the reality shows, whats worse those reality shows are for people with really low IQ. I wonder what went wrong, its such a shame. I miss the old mtv :/

I wish the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award would not be just thrown at whoever is popular at the moment but actually was about artists with groundbreaking work in the field of videos.

TYeah, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award had more credibility in the 90's, people were more worried to make creative videos. Nowadays it's a joke and disrespectful to Michael having that lousy award named after him. I see no reason why MTV continues its existence, YouTube replaced it a long time ago. What a shame they don't take seriously what him the artist.

I don't get what's the fuss about Beyonce TBH, she's a hard worker I give her that but hard work doesn't equate talent. What she offers I had already seen it.

Go figure. Are you honestly surprised? Her ego's bigger than her bank account and Rihanna's forehead.

No I'm not surprised, but I honestly like Beyonce and it seems to me she was a bit overwhelmed by the moment especially with her husband and daughter on stage with her.

I think they should give it next to Gaga. For a short time she managed to create some really entertaining videos. Not to mention she will definitely represent. Lol

I think they should give it next to Gaga. For a short time she managed to create some really entertaining videos. Not to mention she will definitely represent. Lol

I think so too! The Diner scene in Telephone is one of my most favourite scenes in a music video ever!

I second that! Gaga has made really groundbreaking videos,and it only took Janet four years after Control exploded in 1986 to get a Video Vanguard award in 1990. People say it's too early,but I don't think so.

I dont really understand why is it only about the reality shows, whats worse those reality shows are for people with really low IQ. I wonder what went wrong, its such a shame. I miss the old mtv :/

Nothing went wrong. The world changed and for the better.

Back when MTV was king, if you wanted to watch a music video, you had to sit down and watch a bunch of random music videos in hopes your one would show up at some point. Nowadays? Just about every music video is at your fingertips on YouTube/Vevo. You don't have to watch a bunch of random music videos, you can jump straight to the stuff you want from just about any device that can connect to the internet. Your laptop, your phone, your console, your TV.

Personally, I prefer YouTube over the MTV format. Only time I think I prefer the MTV format is when you put it on in the background when you're with friends, but you can still do such a thing through YouTube and Vevo I believe?

This comedy video sums it up well (note: there's a bit of NSFW language but it's bleeped out):

I'm not sure about other countries, but I'm still able to watch music channels through my provider. Funnily enough, we have two extra MTV channels (MTV Hits and MTV Classics) that are still dedicated to play music videos nonstop... but that's Australia/NZ though.

Last edited:
Welp, MTV should stop calling itself MUSIC Television, just like A&E needs to stop calling their channel ARTS & Entertainment. I rarely see anything music-related on MTV and I definitely don't see anything related to the Arts on A&E.

And don't get me started on TLC (The LEARNING Channel), lol! The quality of the subject matter on that channel isn't anything I'd want young kids, etc. to "learn". (can you say Honey Boo Boo) :hysterical:

Last edited:
Welp, MTV should stop calling itself MUSIC Television, just like A&E needs to stop calling their channel ARTS & Entertainment. I rarely see anything music-related on MTV and I definitely don't see anything related to the Arts on A&E.

And don't get me started on TLC (The LEARNING Channel), lol! The quality of the subject matter on that channel isn't anything I'd want young kids, etc. to "learn". (can you say Honey Boo Boo) :hysterical:

I heard that the History channel in America plays more reality shows than actual historical documentaries nowadays! (It's not the case here though, thankfully, I was watching something about Hitler the other day...)

I heard that the History channel in America plays more reality shows than actual historical documentaries nowadays! (It's not the case here though, thankfully, I was watching something about Hitler the other day...)

They do, all of the channels have gone reality show mad, including the Weather Channel. *facepalm* We do have alternatives if we want see documentaries, but that's public television (PBS) and their radio counterpart, NPR.

Haven't seen the performance today so can't comment on it (but everyone else seems to be raving about it).

What I can say though is that I had the opportunity to go to one of her shows this past year. Having actually witnessed her in person, I can tell you without the slightest ounce of a doubt, she is EXTREMELY good at what she does and very much at the top of her game. Easily one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Not saying her live concert performance wouldn't be really good but that includes performing the actual music that she recorded in the past and not the crap she has recorded recently which is all the performance at VMA'S was. It was horrible.

The thing about gaga being the "next" one is that haas next project is not going to be a big mainstream hit simply because it's a jazz album. So by 2015 I don't see her being on the top at that time and usually tey give it to someone that has overall success AND hot in the moment.

Exactly, who could get it next year apart from Gaga? No one really does amazing videos anymore that would warrant such prestigious award.

Björk or Missy Elliot are more deserving of it than any of the people some of you are mentioning or the recent winners. In the 80's it was racism awarding Madonna and Peter Gabriel first than Michael. Nowadays is about popularity and success than real innovation and groundbreaking work.

^^^Of course you have something bad to say about Gaga,like ALWAYS. I get you have a negative view of Gaga,and it's okay to have that opinion. But don't verbalize it. Keep that to yourself,because you have no idea who you're talking to.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4034756 said:
If you're fan of hers, I respect that but how are Beyoncé's videos vanguardists? There's nothing innovative in her videos whatsoever! So, I'll brake the chorus thinking Beyoncé doesn't deserve the award at all. I've been saying since The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award got reinstilled that Björk has been the greatest ignored and more deserving of it than the newest recipients. It seems it's more a contest of popularity than giving it to people who truly innovates.

Couldn't agree more :bow:

analogue;4038739 said:
Am I the only one on here who thinks that Beyonce is overrated?

No, you aren't.

Whenever you say Beyonce is overrated and over hyped you tend to get attacked for some reason.
But really, what has she done that hasn't been done before?
What has she done that is so brilliant that she's suddenly the best artist on earth?
Someone fill me in because I must've missed it.

Beyonce isn't the best thing I've heard, but she isn't the worst either. Most of her songs are just generic to me.

I think we all know by now that awards (especially) vanguard award is a popularity contest... Not a talent contest!!! There are numerous of artists that make great music that get over shadowed to the well promoted and polished PR.. No one can really argue as far as those two thinks Beyoncé is on top right now... Simple!

Back