Books you love or books you are reading now.

Reading:

71XEOVTVeXL._SL1197_.jpg

I'm not reading anything right now. But I can tell 2 books I love, both by same authour.

1051061-gf.jpg

9335803.jpg

I love the pink suit on the cover of the 2nd book he wore. One of my favourite of his suits.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. Such a gorgeous book.

Books I love are Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, anything by J.R.R Tolkien and the play Cyrano de Bergerac.

I just finished yesterday to read a memoir book by Elissa Wall called Stolen Innocence which talked about how it was growing up in the Mormon sect FLDS. How she was forced to undergo an under age marriage by Warren Jeffs, the sexual and psychological abuse her "husband" inflicted on her and facing Warren when he was on trial.

Now I'm reading The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins which explains how our real world and things that exist or existed can magical without any supernatural or paranormal explanation.

"Monster Musume" Volume 3

81C4TWVsLML.jpg

I fell in love with the manga very quickly and I love the one cute character in there.

Skink - No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen. He's the only author who can make me truly laugh out loud... like, head thrown back laughing and then reading the passage or sentence again, giggling all the while.

Books that I'm currently reading... Hold on :blush:

Earthbound_zps56986585.jpg

She's an awesome writer really ;)

This one is on 'webdesign' ;) Really cool with British humor included.

knowyouronions_zps765d5585.jpg

This one is COOL too... More scientific!

Thefutureofthemind_zps76086b29.jpg

The last one, I'm reading is this one... The most awesome book on 'storytelling' :agree:

storytelling_zpscb82f3e5.png

I just finished reading In Search Of Neverland by Gloria Rhoads Berlin. It was like watching Michael so alive searching for his paradise here on Earth, so happy, full of dreams and hopes and then the end is like a slap in the face back to reality... :boohoo:

I just finished reading Bret Hart's autobiography "Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling". Probably the best wrestling-related book I've read next to Mick Foley's "Foley is Good". Bret's lived a pretty crazy life, and I actually couldn't help but draw parallels to his life and Michael's while reading. It's funny, sad, painful, and angry. I'd recommend it to people who aren't even wrestling fans.

Continuing with the wrestling kick I've been on lately, I started reading The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds, who runs the website WrestleCrap. So far the book hasn't gotten into crap territory (well okay, maybe a little), but it's given a good history lesson behind the formation of WCW and its early years.

This one is COOL too... More scientific!

Thefutureofthemind_zps76086b29.jpg

I read two books by Michio Kaku, not this one though. The ones I read:

Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension (1994)
Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos (2004)

Great books.

Right now I read Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel C. Dennett

51k%2B5%2B6j9OL.jpg

Iscariot by Tosca Lee (sad, but wonderful)
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery (enchanting)

I just finished reading Bret Hart's autobiography "Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling". Probably the best wrestling-related book I've read next to Mick Foley's "Foley is Good". Bret's lived a pretty crazy life, and I actually couldn't help but draw parallels to his life and Michael's while reading. It's funny, sad, painful, and angry. I'd recommend it to people who aren't even wrestling fans.

Continuing with the wrestling kick I've been on lately, I started reading The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds, who runs the website WrestleCrap. So far the book hasn't gotten into crap territory (well okay, maybe a little), but it's given a good history lesson behind the formation of WCW and its early years.

I have Bret Hart's book 7 years ago and I got it signed by Hitman himself when he came to Timmins. He should get the book update re. that he and Shawn Michaels were friends again after in early 2010 when they reconcile on RAW.

I've started reading the latest Don Cherry book "Straight Up & Personal" that I got for Christmas and when I'm done with I'm going to read "The Crazy Game" by former NHL goalie Clint Malarchuk.

111014.jpg

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

I've never seen the movies or read the book. (Gasp! A sin for a librarian, I know)

Favourites: Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

^I love The Count of Monte Cristo! I've read it twice. :D And I love Dickens as well, although i haven't read A Tale of Two Cities yet.

Currently, I'm reading:

In Memoriam A.H.H by Lord Tennyson
Pensees by Blaise Pascal
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
Pilgrim's Progrss by John Bunyan
The Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Nicolae by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
Romanul Adolescentului Miop (The novel of the nearsighted teen) by Mircea Eliade

Books I love:

1. Everything by Jostein Gaarder
2. "Sputnik Sweetheart", "South of the Border, West of the Sun" and "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami
3. "To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf
4. "The Old Curiosity Shop" by Charles Dickens
5. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck
6. "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde
7. "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
8. "1984" by George Orwell
9. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
10. "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White
11. "Magician" by W. Somerset Maugham
12. "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi
13. "Flaubert's Parrot" by Julias Barnes
14. "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne
15. "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
16. "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte
17. "The Paradise Trilogy" by Thalassa Ali
18. "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams
19. "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
20. "The Third Man" by Graham Greene

Books I'm reading:

1. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
2. "The Beautiful and Damned" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert
4. "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline
5. "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
6. "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Books I recently read:

"Second life" by SJ Watson (y)

"The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiel Hammett :D

"Thirteen reasons why" by Jay Asher

"Elisabeth is missing" by Emma Healey

Books to read:

"The girl on the train" by Paula Hawkins

"The good story" by J.M. Goetzee & Arabella Kurtz

I just read a book by former actress Charmian Carr, about her experiences making "The Sound of Music". The book is called "Forever Liesl", and it was truly fascinating; I finished it in a couple of days. There's several great stories, such as her very first scene being where Liesl sneaks through the window while Maria is praying. She talks at length about her castmates, her friendship with Christopher Plummer, and why she and Julie Andrews lost touch after filming wrapped. She also talks about her career as an interior designer, and even mentions helping Michael with a project in the early '80s. Its a great book, and I'd recommend it to any "Sound of Music" fan.

Technically speaking, the last book I read was one written by an 18th century French monk about abandonment to divine providence. I read its English translation done in the 20s. The forward to the book claimed that although addressed mainly to clergy, it was a full of advice relevant and helpful to those of us in the laity as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't agree with that assertion. There were some parts with which I identified a bit too much for my mental and spiritual comfort, but still.....I was left unconvinced and also partially disappointed. Unfortunately, I don´t think I can blame any of that on the three centuries past since its creation, because its sentiments reverberate to this day within the Church. There was an almost definite sense of superiority in the approach to spiritual life, as if us, worldly people with our 'inferior needs' and 'petty concerns' are far less valuable in God's eyes. It may very well be so, but we are the 99%. Hopefully, God has more attention and affection for us than some of His messengers on this earth. After all, even monks, priests and nuns need families to be born and raised in until they find their higher calling.....while the rest of the world needs schools and hospitals, politicians and artists, builders and soldiers.

I've also read some other things, on fishery management of all things. I'm bound to read some more scholarly work soon, if and when I manage to ramble a bit less around here.........apparently that also includes Joe Vogel's piece on androgyny in the 80s :p

And btw of spiritual matters, one item that I really need to read but one that I expect to agree with wholeheartedly is the Pope's latest encyclica, Laudato Sí – the first Papal document fully dedicated to the issue of climate change http://w2.vatican.va/content/dam/francesco/pdf/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si_en.pdf Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI already spoke on the matter, but Pope Francis focuses on it even more. Written in advance of the upcoming UN climate conference in Paris in December it was an eagerly awaited document, not just by crazy, little me.

From the little fragments and comments I saw on the NY Times blog I couldn't be happier about its content – not only does the Pope bring out the overwhelming scientific evidence which supports the anthropogenic causes of climate change (unlike other people in "Christian" circles who were quick to trash his work), but he is also unafraid to talk of the social consequences on the poorest of the planet, since they are the most vulnerable to its nefarious consequences. And to top it all of, his plea for ecology does focus on the dignity of the human being, something which extreme fringes of the environmental movement can overlook at times. The fact that the document got its name and first words from the Canticle of the creatures is beautiful as well. But it is natural, after all Saint Francis is the patron saint of ecology. This document is most timely and most appropriate and I cannot wait to read it.

Some others things I meant to read for years now include these two:

Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism by George Akerlof and Robert Shiller
This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly by Carmen Reinhart, Kenneth Rogoff

Not sure when I'll get around to it though considering all the issues on my plate.

Last edited:
Back