Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Glad to see that there was enough demand to add second date in Frankfurt:clapping:

"Today I have a remarkable 3333 "Likes" on this page. Now, I am smart enough to know that not all of those people are my "friends", but I am equally humbled that so many people would show interest in this endeavour. "

Cute, I'm sure they all are his friends or want to be friends:D

There are still tickets left for London..... This may be the only London event for a while, so don't miss it!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clock is ticking... in just 18 days we will be in London for the first of four seminars in Europe! The studios are beautiful, and we are very excited about how the new material is working out.

As I mentioned before - if you have a ticket to London, Copenhagen or Frankfurt and would like to come a 2nd time to Frankfurt on Sunday, Nov 2, I am offering a 15% discount for that ticket.

Thank you so much for your support, kind notes and words. It is going to be a great series of seminars and I hope you can join us!

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

www.inthestudiowithmj.com

https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj-v2

Latest from Brad....some intriguing plans in the future...........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had so much fun reconnecting with old friends like Steve Porcaro and Brian Vibberts. I know you were thinking that photo looks like it was ripped out of GQ, but in reality it was the from last summer at Westlake. My amazing web-master and friend Brandon has been working on the site, uploading some new photos, and I thought I would share one with you. Shout-out to Brandon!

The new material is really coming together well, and I am in constant contact with all three studios in Europe. There is quite a bit of behind-the-scenes work that goes into our seminars, and I am so grateful to the many people that step up and offer to help. I have said it before, but the unexpected blessing of doing these seminars is making so many new friends, and reconnecting with old ones.

One of the not-so-surprising things about the people that Michael liked to work with is that they were generally nice guys. Seriously. From Quincy Jones to Bruce Swedien to Steve Porcaro to Brad Buxer to Matt Forger to Brian Vibberts... the list goes on and on... they are guys you want to be around - and even after all these years we still enjoy each other's friendships.

After the European tour we'll take a bit of time off, then we are looking seriously at Japan in January. Then we'll return to the US and Canada for a few seminars in the spring, and we are in the VERY early stages of something really cool next summer. It could be the biggest event we have attempted so far. Stay tuned for more info.

London, Copenhagen, Frankfurt - are you ready? I am so excited to be coming to your beautiful cities in a couple weeks, and I look forward to meeting you, connecting names with faces, and of course seeing some returning guests!

Tickets are still available - check out the website for some new photos and info, and I'll see you in a couple weeks! Will You Be There?

Have a great weekend -

Brad

https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj-v2

Latest from Brad. Tickets for London are still available for this not-to be missed event........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whenever I get closer to doing a seminar, I dig into my boxes of memorabilia for two reasons:
1) To look for unique items, music, etc., to share with the group.
2) To get myself back into "MJ World", if that makes any sense.

I know this likely comes as a shock, but I don't listen to MJ music 24/7. Particularly after a series of seminars I simply need to take a break from it and instead listen to Beck or Steely Dan or AC/DC or Gloria Gaynor (don't laugh) for a while. I know... it doesn't make sense, but it's true! The seminars bring back a lot of memories and things get to be very real again... and I have to let it go. (Wow, that got deep fast.)

So I am going over last minute prep for the next series of seminars in London, Copenhagen and Frankfurt, and I opened up my memory boxes. Captain EO shirt (original!), my signed Thriller album, boxes and boxes of tapes, CDs, lyrics, scribbled notes and comp sheets, etc. Then I saw my old "Bad Mixes" CD.

After the "Bad" album was released... I mean almost immediately after it was released, Bruce Swedien and I were back at Westlake Studio D starting the remixes for singles, dance mixes, video mixes, etc. This went on for months - song after song.

Monster Cable was involved in the "Bad" album (no, I don't get a free anything for mentioning them), and Noel Lee was an occasional visitor to the project. Noel was cool, and always seemed to enjoy his visits to the studio. We had Monster Cable all over the place, which was a mixed blessing: It does sound good, but suddenly I was having to lug cables the size of garden hoses around for speakers, and microphone harnesses with the diameter of a grapefruit everywhere we went. No need to hit the gym in those days.

So I don't know the exact origin of the "Bad Mixes" (I'm sure there are plenty of readers who know more about it than I do), but Monster had some direct involvement - at least with the Special Edition CD. So one day Noel shows up and Bruce and I were working on something - I have no idea what - with a small box of CDs under his arm. He was very proud and pulled them out of the box. Each one had a number: 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, and so on. Michael was on tour, and I'm not sure where Quincy was, but Noel very graciously gave us the CDs with specific instructions that Michael was to have 0001, Quincy would receive 0002, Bruce got 0003, and I received 0004. Noel would keep 0005 for himself.

Now don't read more into this than you should because I was treated very well by everyone, but it was pretty cool for Noel to include me in the top four of receiving one of his hand-delivered, limited edition numbered CDs. They could have gone to the endless list of managers and executives and lawyers first, but Noel knew we were on the front lines of making the music sound great, and using many of his products along the way, so I think this was his way of saying "thank you".

I still have good old 0004, sealed in it's original packaging, as a cool momento from a long time ago. No, it's not for sale... It represents way too big a part of my life to sell. So there you go... I'm ramping back into MJ world just by digging in a box of memories.

London, Copenhagen, Frankfurt - tickets are still available, and the new material is pretty cool. I was up late last night putting some new segments together from Dangerous - and I think you are going to like them!

Download the "Bad Mixes" or dig out your old CD of it and crank them up this weekend - "Smooth Criminal" sounds better than ever!

Have a great weekend, and I hope to see you on our European tour starting next weekend. Will You Be There?

(0004 will be staying home, safe and sound).

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/f0uutXNqj][/URL]

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/iqwb0CqQj][/URL]

Last edited:

OMG I am screaming that I have no money atm. I NEED to be at the London show. Doubt it will be here again.

Glad to see that there was enough demand to add second date in Frankfurt:clapping:

As it seems ticket sales for the November 2nd event in Frankfurt, Germany are rather slow. :(

Frankfurt is a lovely city on the Main river. It is nicknamed Mainhatten for its skyline that remotely resembles Manhatten in New York (it really is the only German city to boast a skyline!). Google it, it's a lovely city!

Frankfurt is also in the heart of Germany, has a huge, international airport and is easily accessible from other European countries and even the US.

Tickets for Sunday, November 2nd are available here:
http://inthestudiowithmj.com/events/

I just came back from the London seminar. It was a satisfying experience in terms of the stories (I won't go into those in detail out of respect for Brad as he asked) brad has a lot of charisma and a good sense of humour that just makes you want to listen to whatever he has to say. in terms of videos and music it was quite disappointing. We got to hear the Liberian Girl Harmonies in accapella and he played with the multitracks for Bad, BOTDF and played an almost acapella of Leave Me alone. We heard the For All Time demo which doesn't really feature Michael aswell as Porcaros Human Nature demo. He played a video of everyone in the studio giving presents to Bart who was about to have heart surgery with Michael outdoing everyone with the most extravagant gift. A video of the Andrae crouch choir singing with Michael listening from the side and a video of the kids choir that came in during the history sessions with brad dressed as santa giving the kids presents with mj posing with them in photos.

I spoke to Brad during one of the breaks and I asked if their is a sort of moral reason behind him not talking about unreleased song titles because even before he got into legal trouble with the estate, a year ago in the mjjc interview he avoided questions on the topic and in a gearsluts post Bottrell or someone said he was aware of a brilliant song that is unreleased but he wouldn't name it. He said Branca told him "he could say what he wanted" yet he was still sort of avoiding the questions. I asked about 'Man in Black' and he said he had heard it numerous times. Whenever someone in the audience asked about the stuff he kept everything to a minimum so i guess their was actually an underlying reason.

I'm glad you were able to attend one of these seminars. I bet you had a great time and I'm fairly certain it was informative as well. I'm curious, though. When you say Brad has asked you not to go into detail of the stories (not that I am asking you), did he ask you directly or something else? Also, it IS a bit mysterious how the subject of unreleased songs keep being dodged. I hope it's a case of "Hey, Brad. Could you not talk about or play those songs? We're planning on releasing them at some point.". :)

I'm glad you were able to attend one of these seminars. I bet you had a great time and I'm fairly certain it was informative as well. I'm curious, though. When you say Brad has asked you not to go into detail of the stories (not that I am asking you), did he ask you directly or something else? Also, it IS a bit mysterious how the subject of unreleased songs keep being dodged. I hope it's a case of "Hey, Brad. Could you not talk about or play those songs? We're planning on releasing them at some point.". :)

In general he doesn't want anyone to descriptively compile each and every story he tells otherwise people won't attend the seminars.

. We got to hear the Liberian Girl Harmonies in accapella and he played with the multitracks for Bad, BOTDFand played an almost acapella of Leave Me alone.

Now i'm starting to get jealous! ;/ ;D

In general he doesn't want anyone to descriptively compile each and every story he tells otherwise people won't attend the seminars.

I do understand that. Though, there are individuals who won't be able to attend period BUT hopefully the book he is planning on releasing should remedy that. :)

Though, if you can remember (and wish to tell), when Brad was playing around with the Bad multitrack, do you remember was elements/instruments he isolated? Was it the best remix of Bad you've ever heard? ;)

I do understand that. Though, there are individuals who won't be able to attend period BUT hopefully the book he is planning on releasing should remedy that. :)

Though, if you can remember (and wish to tell), when Brad was playing around with the Bad multitrack, do you remember was elements/instruments he isolated? Was it the best remix of Bad you've ever heard? ;)

He isolated a bunch one I remember for Bad is the Horns and the kick for BOTDF. But I really don't care much for instruments Michael voice is what I care most for and that sounded brilliant isolated in both tracks.

BTW I forgot to mention that we didn't just hear any old acapella for liberian girl. We heard each individual vocal multi track which made up the harmonies going from a high to a low tone. That sounded amazing really loud, it was like michael was there.

Additionally, Brad said during the event how he was looking for photos for the huge 7 story posters placed around Madison Square Garden during the Bad Tour and couldn't find any anywhere. Does anyone have any pictures they could send him on FB?

Last edited:

He isolated a bunch one I remember for Bad is the Horns and the kick for BOTDF. But I really don't care much for instruments Michael voice is what I care most for and that sounded brilliant isolated in both tracks.

BTW I forgot to mention that we didn't just hear any old acapella for liberian girl. We heard each individual vocal multi track which made up the harmonies going from a high to a low tone. That sounded amazing really loud, it was like michael was there.

Additionally, Brad said during the event how he was looking for photos for the huge 7 story posters placed around Madison Square Garden during the Bad Tour and couldn't find any anywhere. Does anyone have any pictures they could send him on FB?

Thanks for the information. I'd definitely get a kick out of hearing that!

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the posters that Brad is looking for. Perhaps someone else has them?

'Speed Demon' Brad is already in Copenhagen....ready for the seminar on Wednesday:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening Copenhagen - I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!

Please continue to pass the info to your friends, Twitter followers, fan groups, etc. London went really well, and I want Copenhagen to be even better.
I hope some of my Swedish friends can make it, and I look forward to doing a bit of sightseeing this week. Have a great evening, and Keep The Faith! Brad

Copenhagen... your time is now!!

See you on Wednesday - tickets still available at www.inthestudiowithmj.com
Will You Be There?

Brad has announced plans for Seminars in 2015:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One week ago we were Frankfurt.
Two weeks ago we were in London.
Nine weeks from now we'll be in Tokyo.

2015 is going to be a very busy and exciting year "In The Studio With MJ!" Just after the first of the year we will make our way to Tokyo and Osaka for a series of seminars. In February we'll be back New York. Other stops next year include Seattle, Toronto, Gary, Germany, Spain and Brazil, among others.

Frankfurt, Copenhagen and London were a great way to wind down our 2014 calendar, and I am so thankful to our guests, helpers and crew for making each stop so memorable. I look forward to meeting so many new friends this coming year, and I sincerely thank you for your continued interest and support in our seminars.

No holograms - just a celebration of the talent, skills and friendship of the greatest entertainer of our generation - Michael Jackson.

I look forward to an amazing 2015!
Keep The Faith -
Brad

Brad in Japan, 10th Jan 15:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sept 12, 1987, Michael Jackson launched the "Bad" tour in Tokyo, Japan. Tickets for the first nine shows in Japan sold out in hours (this was before online purchases!), and five more shows were quickly added.

I remember working with Greg, Rory, Chris, Jennifer and Ricky, as we had to restructure some of the new songs for the tour. We would run tapes back and forth from the studio to the band rehearsals in LA, making adjustments to tempo and pitch. I also remember a young background singer who would go onto a very strong solo career by the name of Cheryl Crow.

I did not go with the show to Japan, but it would have been a lot of fun. Bruce and I were back in the studio working on upcoming singles from the project, editing songs for videos, etc. Everyone was busy when Bad was charting and touring.

Before Michael headed out on tour, we talked about any special requests he had. He wanted a portable entertainment system for his hotel rooms, so I designed the monster system shown in the photo. It would roll from hotel to hotel for him, and allow him to watch movies, listen to mixes from the studio, etc. It was sort an 800 pound super-iPad of 1987.

I once asked Michael if he ever got nervous on stage, and he smiled and said, "I never get nervous." Really? I asked. "Really," he responded. Hmmm. 450,000 people saw him during the first 14 shows in Japan. That alone would make most people a bit nervous, but not Michael.

On Jan 10, 2015, some 9967 days after Michael first performed in Tokyo, we will launch our first "In The Studio With MJ" seminar series in Japan. Yes, I am excited... and yes, I am a bit nervous. Japan has always intrigued me. The food, the culture, the history, the personality, the attitude, the pace, the size... and of course the beautiful people. Michael used to love Japan, and studio musicians, engineers, etc., who worked in Japan would always come back with amazing stories, electronics, etc. It should be a lot of fun.

We are making our final decisions on studios this week, and we will launch ticket sales this weekend. The first weekend (Jan 10, 11) will be in Tokyo. The following weekend (Jan 17, 18) will be in Osaka. I am very excited to make this trip, and our "Team Japan" is working very hard to make it a success for everyone.

I am also working on a couple little surprises for my Japanese guests, as they have always been such a vital part of Michael's fan-base.

Thanks in advance for your interest and support in bringing the seminar to Japan, and I very much look forward to meeting everyone.

???????????????

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/f03hWkgEj][/URL]

Brad will release tickets for Japan and New York Seminars later today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking back, looking ahead.

It all started in Paris. Then New York. Orlando. Paris again. Stockholm. Toronto. Orlando again. Amsterdam. Brussels. St. Petersburg. Los Angeles. Orlando again. London. Copenhagen. Frankfurt. Steve Porcaro. Matt Forger. Brad Buxer. Brian Vibberts. Michael Prince. Captain EO. Big studios. Small studios. Churches. Tattoos. Amazing dinners. Beautiful faces. Airports. Taxis. Memories. Friendships. Reunions. Laughter. Tears. Music.

Saturday, Nov 15, at 6pm New York time, we will announce the itinerary for 2015, and tickets will go on sale for Tokyo, Osaka and New York. New cities. Special guests. New stories.

Thanks for an amazing journey so far, but we're only getting started.

"You've known me long enough to know that I don't play... "

See you in 2015, and please...
Keep The Faith!

Brad

If he comes back to Orlando again next year, I MUST GO.

honestly that leaked childhood clip was the best ad for it ever. i missed it last time it was in my city but i most definitely will this time around. can not wait.

Brads seminars in 2015:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope everyone is having a great weekend. The response to the seminars continues to blow me away. As I have said many times, I can't sing, I certainly can't dance, I wasn't Michael's best friend, I wasn't the "magic" behind the projects. I was part of an amazing team; I liked working for him, and I guess he liked having me around. Now, as my schedule allows - I enjoy bringing my guests "into the studio" and giving them a day they will long remember.

The interest continues to grow, and I am both humbled and excited. I love meeting new people and visiting studios and cities all over the world. 2015 is going to be a very busy year!

The tentative schedule is as follows:

January 10, 11 – Tokyo, Japan
January 17, 18 – Osaka, Japan
February 21 – New York, NY
April 18 – Seattle, WA
May 23 – Toronto, Canada
June 25, 26, 27, 28 – Cologne, Germany (Very special event in the works)
July 4, 5 – Spain (likely Barcelona)
August 29 – Chicago, IL
September 5 – Orlando, Florida
October 10 – Las Vegas, NV
November 7, 8 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

See the attached press release - please forward it to fan groups, media outlets, friends, etc.

Thank you for your friendship and support - I look forward to meeting many new people and seeing old friends in 2015!

Keep The Faith!

Brad

Tickets for Japan and New York will go on sale at 6pm New York time tonight at www.inthestudiowithmj.com

If he ever comes to Denmark again (which I doubt...) I will go no doubt.

But I was not able to go when he was hear not long ago. :(

After hearing the Childhood clip I want to go even more!! - to be able t o hear clips like that in good quality would be amazing!!

i dont understand why the uk didnt get the childhood clip?

i dont understand why the uk didnt get the childhood clip?
Because the Estate intervened and told Brad he cannot play certain things, including the Childhood video. It was the finale of all of his seminars before the Estate told him to stop using it, and a very fitting one at that.

Because the Estate intervened and told Brad he cannot play certain things, including the Childhood video. It was the finale of all of his seminars before the Estate told him to stop using it, and a very fitting one at that.

Oh I thought what leaked was a childhood audio clip that the estate allowed and he played it in frankfurt

Vegas Baby! I'm there.

I have no words for stories like this, from Brad... :(

------------------------------------------------------------
The Missing Speakers

I still remember my first visit to Neverland. I mean, it would be hard to forget. But this was before Neverland was really Neverland – it was just Michael’s new ranch. He had asked me to install a music system in his bedroom – specifically on either side of his bed. It was soon after he bought Sycamore Valley Ranch, and he was just starting to settle in and plan what it could be like over time.

So I drove up to the ranch (he wasn’t there my first visit), and I was escorted into his bedroom. I quickly took some measurements and came up with some ideas… but maybe I lingered a bit longer than was really needed. I mean… it’s his bedroom for crying out loud! That’s pretty cool no matter how you slice it.

It was sort of decorated with movie memorabilia, toys, the gold and red throne (a gift, I assume?), and the classic MJ array of shopping bags and overstuffed Fed Ex and manila envelopes. Everywhere. This was how his office looked at the studio, and how Havenhurst looked, so it was clear that this was his home.

I ordered a pair of Westlake BBSM-4 speakers for his bedroom, and a nice amplifier. We not only recorded at Westlake Studios, but they also manufacture a line of speakers that we (and many professionals) used for recording. They build huge speakers that cost more than a small house, and they also sell smaller versions that sound amazing in a more traditional size. Michael was used to the sound of Westlake speakers, so it only made sense to mount a small pair of them in his bedroom for him to listen to mixes that Bruce was working on.

(I have another story about a pair of Westlake speakers I installed for Michael at Trump Tower in New York, but I’ll save that for now.)

I decided to mount them on arms that would rest above his bedside tables, and he could swing them in, so they would be floating on either side of his head, like a giant set of headphones. I thought it was a cool idea, and I dove into the project the following week. It only took a few hours to get them installed, so I kicked my shoes off and climbed onto his bed, and pulled the speakers on either side of my head for a test drive. They sounded amazing, and I was pretty proud of myself for making the whole thing come together so smoothly. Then Michael came in and listened to them, and he was so excited! We played a few mixes from the studio, and talked about new ideas for the ranch – and the rest of his enormous house.

Over the next many years I spent a lot of time at the ranch, in the house, even in the bedroom. Soon he wanted even bigger speakers in his master bathroom. I knew he loved to feel the music, and when I had it right, he would always laugh and yell, “Hurt me Brad… hurt me!”

Years rolled by, more projects, more albums, more mixes, more laughter. Then one day it was as if the music stopped. Michael was gone, and Neverland would forever be empty without him. I remember watching news reports of strangers and the press touring the house. It seemed so empty, looking at the bare floors and vacant rooms on TV. I remember one reporter walking into the bedroom, and trying to describe something he clearly had never seen. Then I saw the holes in the wall, where I had mounted my swing arm brackets for the speakers. The missing speakers. They were gone now, like everything else.

I didn’t really notice anything else, just the missing speakers. I knew he loved how they sounded, and I imagined him cranking them up and eating popcorn (“corn”). In a way they symbolized where he came from, and what drove him: Music. After seeing the holes in the walls where my speakers used to hang, I generally avoided all photos and videos of inside the house. It wasn’t the same. The missing speakers represented, at least to me, a great loss.

It’s just one of those days.

Tickets are now on sale for our seminars in Japan (January) and New York (February).

Brad on Mike's mics..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few days ago I wrote a story about a pair of speakers I installed in Michael's bedroom, and the response was very nice - so thank you! In my seminars I typically have a few aspiring engineers or producers who want to know about the "techie" stuff we did, but I have to balance that with keeping it interesting for MJ fans who really don't care about tape compression, reverb settings or microphone choices. But after I wrote the speaker story, I started thinking about the recording process, and where it all starts, at least for acoustic instruments (including the human voice): The microphone.

To my studio friends, this is going to sound very basic, but let me tell my non-studio friends just a little bit about microphones - and how we used them with Michael, while hopefully keeping it mildly interesting.

Microphones come in a variety of shapes, sizes, polar-patterns and price tags. Remember the big RCA microphones you would see in front of Elvis or Bing? Or the one you've seen in front of Frank Sinatra? Each type of microphone has it's own sound character, and part of the art of engineering is knowing which microphone will work best with each instrument or voice. For example, there are microphones designed JUST for kick drums, but they sound pretty crummy for vocals. But... sometimes a producer might want a different sound, so a kick-drum mic might be used on specific singer - there are no rules with this stuff.

In post-war Berlin, German during the 40's and 50's (stay with me... this is history!) Georg Neumann was designing and building some of the most incredible sounding microphones ever created. These mics became very popular with groups like the Beatles, as their sound was so clear and warm. Go back and listen to "Fool On The Hill" or "Across The Universe" and chances are you are very likely listening to Neumann microphones, and George Martin and Geoff Emerick knew just how to use them.

Fast forward a few decades, and there are countless choices now for engineers to use on vocals. Great microphones made by AKG, Sony, Telefunken, and of course Nuemann. Russia has introduced some beautiful microphones, and of course China is a huge producer.

The funny thing is, to many engineers, an old microphone from the 50's or 60's is a must-have tool. Much like car collectors, there are vintage microphone collectors. Many studios are "judged" by their vintage microphone collection. Anyone can have an AKG 414, but to have a vintage Telefunken 251 from the late 40's or mid 50's in it's original wooden box could set you back $12,000 or more. For one microphone. It has gotten a bit silly in recent years, as the prices continue to skyrocket. But those particular mics are not make anymore - and they do sound amazing (assuming they are in good shape).

Bruce Swedien has an amazing array of microphones, and we could have used anything we wanted to record Michael. But Bruce was never good at following the crowd - or the rules. He discovered the Michael's voice sounded amazing (on certain songs) singing into a Shure SM-7. The SM-7 is a mic that you might see in a radio station or a church or... sometimes used on a kick drum for live sound. It is not a special microphone, it is very inexpensive (around $400), but they combination of Michael's voice and the electronics of the SM-7 were a perfect match. (Note that the picture of Michael and Siedah are with an U-47, which was also used on certain songs).

In some ways, using an SM-7 to record Michael's voice might be compared to having a race car driver drive a Ford F-150 pickup truck instead of a Ferrari, but it worked! The lowly SM-7 is what you hear in hit after hit - Beat It, The Way You Make Me Feel, Bad, Smooth Criminal... the list goes on and on. Michael could sing as loud as he wanted, because there is nothing "delicate" about an SM-7.

Bruce didn't follow the rules - he re-wrote them. So did Michael. From the choice of microphone to the studio that feels the most comfortable to the best guitar player for a certain song - every decision was made with a quality product in mind. It was some pretty serious education for me.

Maybe you don't work with microphones, but the SM-7 is an example that just because something isn't beautiful or expensive or the one that "everyone else is using", doesn't mean it isn't the best for that particular need.

It's a bit of an underdog in some ways, compared to the elegant mics stored behind lock and key, the SM-7 is likely tossed into a drawer with all the other "cheap mics" in most studios around the globe. But... it was the right tool for Michael.

I think I identify more with the $400 SM-7 than I do the $12,000 vintage Neumann... but that's just me.

Now - some news for Japan!
Ticket sales have been amazing, and we had to find slightly larger venues for our events in January. Thank you so much for the incredible support!

In Tokyo, we will be at the beautiful Setagaya Sound Studios, and in Osaka we are booked at Primer Art Hall. My "Team Japan" has worked so hard to help "behind the scenes", and I cannot thank them enough! It is a sizable task to bring or seminar to another city, but I could not do it in Japan without such an amazing team. Thank you again!

Tickets are on sale for our seminars in Japan and New York (at Smash Studios) on the website.

Will You Be There?

Brad, on Thanksgiving (Thank you, Brad)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Thanksgiving is (obviously) primarily an American holiday, I have a couple quick thoughts.

Michael used to love "Family Friday" - mostly during the "Bad" and "Dangerous" projects, when all work would stop on those days for an hour or two, and everyone would gather for a giant meal, usually provided by the Slam Dunk Sisters - Catherine and Laura. The food was what I would describe as very traditional "Country Thanksgiving", with roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, collards, corn, stuffing, rolls... and of course, banana puddin'. Catherine would also sometimes add roast beef, fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc. It was, in no small way, a feast - and it was very reflective of Thanksgiving. Except we did it every week.

I have written about this before, but I think Michael loved the family atmosphere of Family Friday - because it was so comfortable. Very often Bruce's wife Bea would join us, or my wife Debbie. Michael was very generous to invite the studio technicians and runners in to join us periodically. There was plenty of food, and it was fun to share stories and hear about stuff other than current song status. Might be hard to believe, but it's true. Even on MJ albums you would need a break from the music once in a while!

I rarely talk about Michael's childhood - because I wasn't there - but I know he was raised in a faith that doesn't celebrate holidays, so in some ways Thanksgiving was likely unknown to him, except from what he had read or heard about. (Again - this is just an assumption on my part.) So "Family Friday" was perhaps his version of a Thanksgiving dinner? Who knows... all I know is that it was delicious, fun and relaxing. I remember afterwards we would all slump down in our chairs (or on the floor!) and wonder how or why we ate so much, and how or if we could get back to work.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays to this day, and I have much to be thankful for: my faith, my wife, my girls, my family, my church, my friends... the list goes on and on. But in the past couple years there is a new segment of my life - a new "hobby" - for which I am also very thankful. It is something called "In The Studio With MJ."

I am thankful for the opportunity to travel to really cool studios and venues around the world. I am thankful for being able to share stories and music to some amazing groups. I am thankful for the experiences... the journey I traveled with Michael throughout our time together in the studio and at the ranch. I am thankful for still remembering his laughter, his voice and his humor.

But I am truly thankful - honestly very thankful - for all of the amazing friends I have made these past three years. I always want to start writing names, but I can't - for fear of forgetting someone (and it would be a long list!) that I have met. But friends in Stockholm, New York, Orlando, Toronto, Russia, Brussels, Amsterdam and Los Angeles. London, Copenhagen, Paris - and now Japan. So many people, so many stories, so many memories.

At the end of the day all we pretty much have is our faith, family and friends to hold on to. I have been blessed beyond any expectation, and I sincerely thank you for your friendship, your support, your notes and your interest in my seminars. This goes deeper than I would have even imagined when I held my first "get together" in Paris a few years ago.

I am learning that MJ fans are some of the most beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful, generous, fun and friendly people I have ever known and continue to meet. Not surprisingly, Michael was - without a doubt - one of the most grateful people I have ever known or worked with. You guys learned well.

Whether your culture or family celebrates what we call "Thanksgiving" or not, I want to take a moment to say "Thank you."

Blessings on your family, and I look forward to seeing you very soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Brad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And separate greetings, from Nate Giorgio:
http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/ipaHGkJxj][/URL]

Last edited:
Back