Controversial MJ Documentary Leaving Neverland [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Lovely to see that it was a flop for HBO, super fantastic! Please let the estate win so they can pay the little that they made back to them!

One thing though, it still has to air in lots of countries. So while it's a flop for HBO, won't the other ratings matter in the end? Or does that matter very little?

I can't stand Dl Hughley

He's on TMZ front page, and of course, with not nice things to say.

He says the haters are not qualified like Oprah is lolll
He said yesterday on his show he does not believe it but how dumb was MJ to put himself in a situation like this and not act like an adult. he just love Oprah but she is getting it. He felt we gave MJ a "pass" to be they way he hung around kids.

Last edited:
I knew HBO is crashing burning. I feel like Ray Patterson (The Simpsons) told Homer the same thing and it happened.

He said yesterday on his show he does not believe it but how dumb was MJ to put himself in a situation like this and not act like an adult. he just love Oprah but she is getting it.

I hate it when people say this. Yes, Michael should have been more careful, but that still doesn't excuse all the horrible things he's been falsely accused of. They make it sound like his accusers had NO CHOICE but to accuse him. People need to stop blaming the victim

Personal point of view :

Quotidien (french Daily Show-like) evoked this documentary.
I was with my parents, and, they're on his side even as non-fans.
The first thing they told was that : He's been dead for 10 years now, if it was true, they should have woke up earlier.

I brought them the Robson situation with the lost deal with the Estate about cirque du soleil, and the money stuff.
Now they know, now they are (or at least seem) convinced in his innocence.

Just watched the documentary online and it's terrible. I understand why people will watch it, it's compelling but it's all bullshit (pardon my French)
It's horrendously and unnecessarily graphic, if people believe this it's because they want to believe Michael Jackson is guilty and not that they feel he is.
I've got to say hand on heart this feels like the reason the media are trying to tear him down is because of his race which is despicable. In an era when we're more accepting of other culture's than ever, I can't believe Michael and his legacy is being treated this way. It's like a public lynching without evidence.

Back to the documentary, anybody in the UK like myself I would advice you not to watch this documentary but especially not part 2.
The fact that safechucks mum said she danced when Michael died, makes my skin crawl. Regardless of anything she should know as a parent herself, 3 children just lost their dad. I lost my mum when I was young, I can't even but into words the devastation of that but I could not imagine how it must feel to then hear people say they danced when your parent died.
The other despicable part for me (besides all the terrible accusations) was again part 2 when wade describes testifying for Michael because he felt that Michael's kids might be seeing there father for the last time before he goes to jail. What makes this incredibly vile for me, is while he's describing that, you're watching private footage Michael recorded of his 3 children. How low must one go before the world says hey that's too far, that's crossed the line.

As for the UK media's fascination with why do people still support Michael because we have studied this case and we know the truth.
There is no evidence in this documentary whatsoever, that should speak volumes. 4 hours long and not 1 second of evidence against Michael Jackson.

As fans we must remain strong together and remember this too shall pass. I keep seeing people on the news everywhere talking about and all I can think is what Michael said in Tabloid Junkie,

"A hounding media in hysteria
Slander
With the words you use
You're a parasite in black and white
Do anything for news"

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the UK and I was swithering wether or not to watch it. I fear that the emotional manipulation may start to cloud my belief - even though I know the facts stack heavily against this nonsense. Reed has deliberately made this as graphic as possible to gain the trust of the audience. He is preying on the general publics vulnerabilities surrounding this controversial topic as it's taboo to question alleged victims. Adding on unnecessarily levels of graphic details, he hopes that it will leave no doubt that what he's selling is undeniably true - as lets face it - who in their right mind would make this up?

Although we are seeing alot of noise about this as we are ACTIVELY looking for content - I have genuinelly not had ONE person approach me (knowing that I'm a HUUGE MJ fan) nor overheard anyone speak about it.

The US ratings has given me a certain degree of hope that people are not believing this from the outset. With such a huge promotional tour it hasn't amounted to what they were expecting I guess?

I expect more people to tune in to the UK airing as C4 it's a free channel. It would be interesting to know what C4 tend to pull in rating wise on a nightly basis outside to give us an idea what numbers to expect.

myosotis;4245742 said:
LOL (Maybe not worth a $200 mill contractual breach suit, then ???)

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/03/...nta-beachfront-bargain-hunt-survivalists-show

Home Television Ratings: “Leaving Neverland” Not a Ratings Smash for HBO, Beaten by “Real Housewives of Atlanta,” “Beachfront Bargain Hunt,” Survivalists Show

After all that, “Leaving Neverland” was not a smash hit on Sunday night. Modest hit maybe is the best way of describing it.

The controversial Michael Jackson doc attracted just 1.285 million viewers at 8pm on HBO. It was beaten by “Real Housewives of Atlanta,” “Beachfront Bargain Hunt,” and the survivalists series “Naked and Afraid,” all on cable.

If it had competed with network shows, “Leaving Neverland” tied with a rerun of “Bob’s Burger’s” on Fox.

The top rated cable show of the evening was “The Walking Dead,” itself dying with just 4.7 million viewers at 9pm on AMC.

“Leaving Neverland” had more publicity than any show in 2019 on any channel. It’s possible that the ratings will rise via repeated viewings over several days including other HBO outlets. But the build up to the 8pm showing on Sunday was the target, and it wasn’t the hot button everyone anticipated.

A million more viewers– 2.3 million– tuned into a Hallmark Hall of Fame cable romcom show called “When Calls the Heart,” just to give you an idea. And that was like watching warm milk cool.

Did the Jackson supporters warn people away from “Leaving Neverland”? Possibly. Or just the shock value? But in the end it may not have been worth it for HBO ratings-wise. On Saturday night, HBO scored a better total number at 8pm with a showing of a bad movie called “Skyscraper.”

Most people do NOT want to see this trash. Again how can a bias doc override a 10 year FBI investigation. Rosie Odonnell wrote she believe Wade/james. She never liked MJ due to Madonna rival but her own daughter accused her abuse so I guess we can believe her as well.

Last edited:
MAJORITY of people aint stupid and people are just sick of it. And here is the funny part,NOT all those viewers believe none of it.

TSCM
@MJJRepository
LN was promoted by every outlet imaginable for 2 months.

1000s of "blue ticks" & mega mouths like Oprah promoting it to millions.

Private & boat-side screenings, Sundance drama.

Reed/WR/JS media publicity tours.

And it STILL had 1M less viewers than a romcom on Hallmark!

?

7:14 PM - Mar 5, 2019

TSCM
@MJJRepository
LN was promoted by every outlet imaginable for 2 months.

1000s of "blue ticks" & mega mouths like Oprah promoting it to millions.

Private & boat-side screenings, Sundance drama.

Reed/WR/JS media publicity tours.

And it STILL had 1M less viewers than a romcom on Hallmark!

?

7:14 PM - Mar 5, 2019
God is good.

SeeingVoices;4245773 said:
Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the UK and I was swithering wether or not to watch it. I fear that the emotional manipulation may start to cloud my belief - even though I know the facts stack heavily against this nonsense. Reed has deliberately made this as graphic as possible to gain the trust of the audience. He is preying on the general publics vulnerabilities surrounding this controversial topic as it's taboo to question alleged victims. Adding on unnecessarily levels of graphic details, he hopes that it will leave no doubt that what he's selling is undeniably true - as lets face it - who in their right mind would make this up?

Although we are seeing alot of noise about this as we are ACTIVELY looking for content - I have genuinelly not had ONE person approach me (knowing that I'm a HUUGE MJ fan) nor overheard anyone speak about it.

The US ratings has given me a certain degree of hope that people are not believing this from the outset. With such a huge promotional tour it hasn't amounted to what they were expecting I guess?

I expect more people to tune in to the UK airing as C4 it's a free channel. It would be interesting to know what C4 tend to pull in rating wise on a nightly basis outside to give us an idea what numbers to expect.
Don’t give it ratings.

Its almost like every decade the narrative has to be reinforced that MJ was a predator when he obviously wasnt. Its just extremely sad at this point. The ratings arent what they expected so they got Oprah and Ellen to promote this trash to their audiences.

He said yesterday on his show he does not believe it but how dumb was MJ to put himself in a situation like this and not act like an adult. he just love Oprah but she is getting it. He felt we gave MJ a "pass" to be they way he hung around kids.

Speaking of Oprah, has her little trash show been aired now? Did her "expert" confirm it all to be pretty normal behavior?

La74;4245778 said:
Don’t give it ratings.

Unless he has a box on his t.v that is used to count ratings then watching it wont give them any.

Below is a site that shows ratings. Gives you an idea.ratings for all channels arent what they used to be. think the last chan four hatchet doc got around four mill. Now the top shows like gogglebox are getting that

Weekly top 30 programmes | BARB - Broadcasters Audience Research Board
https://www.barb.co.uk › viewing-data

Most people do NOT want to see this trash. Again how can a bias doc override a 10 year FBI investigation. Rosie Odonnell wrote she believe Wade/james. She never liked MJ due to Madonna rival but her own daughter accused her abuse so I guess we can believe her as well.

Rosie's tweet which I saw on eTalk on CTV got me so steamed I lashed back at her earlier, she's so stupid to get the facts straight into her head.

elusive moonwalker;4245782 said:
Unless he has a box on his t.v that is used to count ratings then watching it wont give them any.

Below is a site that shows ratings. Gives you an idea.ratings for all channels arent what they used to be. think the last chan four hatchet doc got around four mill. Now the top shows like gogglebox are getting that

Weekly top 30 programmes | BARB - Broadcasters Audience Research Board
https://www.barb.co.uk › viewing-data

So based on the above, we may expect a larger immediate audience tuning in compared with the US?

I can't wait for the month of March to be over! In anticipation of the UK's airing I've deliberately made plans to not be in the house. The temptation to tune in would be too great..

Its almost like every decade the narrative has to be reinforced that MJ was a predator when he obviously wasnt. Its just extremely sad at this point. The ratings arent what they expected so they got Oprah and Ellen to promote this trash to their audiences.

Yeah, Oprah and Ellen's job is to convince some people that otherwise wouldn't watch it, to watch it. Disappointing of Oprah, but not that surprising but Ellen is quite a big disappointment and she is one too. Let's hope the ratings stay relatively low. But one thing is for sure, the opening wasn't great for it and that's awesome.

It sucks that many other countries are getting it though because it means these three shit faces get plenty cash.

This time the Jackson family should not ever do another interview with her again.

Like Taj said, Oprah was never on their side, so true! Never ever should they bother with her again. Indeed!

I downloaded it illegally, dont even care. I wouldn't give them any views or ratings so it was the only way.

(((The fact that safechucks mum said she danced when Michael died, makes my skin crawl. Regardless of anything she should know as a parent herself, 3 children just lost their dad.))

But see that is part of the deadgiveaway that show they are liars.

Yeah, Oprah and Ellen's job is to convince some people that otherwise wouldn't watch it, to watch it. Disappointing of Oprah, but not that surprising but Ellen is quite a big disappointment and she is one too. Let's hope the ratings stay relatively low. But one thing is for sure, the opening wasn't great for it and that's awesome.

It sucks that many other countries are getting it though because it means these three shit faces get plenty cash.

Like Taj said, Oprah was never on their side, so true! Never ever should they bother with her again. Indeed!
Not true. Oprah is catching heat more than she thought she would get. She is being called out doing this yet she did not rush to do nothing on Weinstein.

Rosie's tweet which I saw on eTalk on CTV got me so steamed I lashed back at her earlier, she's so stupid to get the facts straight into her head.

She was accused of physically abusing her daughter by her daughter so that mean her child was truthful. she denied abusing her. I want to tweet her@@# that when I get home.

So based on the above, we may expect a larger immediate audience tuning in compared with the US?

I can't wait for the month of March to be over! In anticipation of the UK's airing I've deliberately made plans to not be in the house. The temptation to tune in would be too great..

We all broke down to you so if u see it just know it is lies.

tjjackson9
I’ve always been close to my uncle but it was after my mother was murdered when I was 16 in ‘94 that he truly became invested into my wellbeing. He knew I was hurt. He knew I was damaged. He knew I needed help. And he rose up and showered me with love, gifts and inspiration. It wasn’t “grooming” as they want you to believe, it was needed LOVE.
My uncle was too good for humanity. Period. He had too big of a heart. He felt it was his mission to help those suffering, especially children. He donated hundreds of millions to help those in need. He opened up his home to thousands of underprivileged/handicapped kids every year to give them a day of pure joy. Why the media never gave or gives his generosity attention/praise is wrong. But because it doesn’t fit the description they want to portray on him, they never will.
Anyone who knows me knows I try to be as cordial, nice and help as many people as possible. I learned that from him. Trying to be half the man he was. ‪I wish the truth was equally as lucrative. I wish positivity sold. Instead negativity $ells, so with the help of every production trick possible these performers (one who has self proclaimed himself as the “Master Of Deception”) get a forum to try to help their billion $ lawsuits and try to be victims in this important time of the #MeToo movement. And with the support of Hollywood powers who have always disliked my Uncle (such as Oprah) they will do their part to try to level my uncle even though he can’t defend himself and he can’t shred their claims. Disgusting and sad.
RIP Uncle Michael. You were too good for this world. I love you and thank you! ❤️🙏🏽 -Meho
#MJInnocent #FactsDontLiePeopleDo

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Hear the never-heard before interview <a href="https://twitter.com/piersmorgan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@piersmorgan</a> conducted with Michael Jackson in 1999.<br><br>Jackson spoke on rumours he harmed children, Princess Diana, his relationship with the press and more.<br><br>Stay tuned for more revealing clips from the interview. <a href="https://t.co/FnxDw1AyHU">pic.twitter.com/FnxDw1AyHU</a></p>&mdash; Good Morning Britain (@GMB) <a href="https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1102819376221306880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">5. März 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’ve always been close to my uncle but it was after my mother was murdered when I was 16 in ‘94 that he truly became invested into my wellbeing. He knew I was hurt. He knew I was damaged.… <a href="https://t.co/8hf8HQMlVC">https://t.co/8hf8HQMlVC</a></p>&mdash; TJ Jackson (@tjjackson) <a href="https://twitter.com/tjjackson/status/1102968669372645379?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">5. März 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I dropped a couple of little truth bombs on a pair of BBC presenters yesterday. Watch this video below and hear how surprised they were after I’d finished. One, an ex-journalist, couldn’t understand why nobody else is balancing the story with these facts. <a href="https://t.co/ifp0I7x3Nf">https://t.co/ifp0I7x3Nf</a></p>&mdash; Charles Thomson (@CEThomson) <a href="https://twitter.com/CEThomson/status/1102896030335545346?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">5. März 2019</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So many in media, inc <a href="https://twitter.com/Oprah?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Oprah</a>, blindly taking <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LeavingNeverland?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LeavingNeverland</a> at face value, shaping a narrative uninterested in facts, proof, credibility. We faced similar &quot;graphic&quot; claims + trial-by-media in '05. Jury saw through it all. Trial-by-law proved Michael's innocence long ago. Fact.</p>&mdash; Jermaine Jackson (@jermjackson5) <a href="https://twitter.com/jermjackson5/status/1102690358436102144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">4. März 2019</a></blockquote>

tjjackson9
I’ve always been close to my uncle but it was after my mother was murdered when I was 16 in ‘94 that he truly became invested into my wellbeing. He knew I was hurt. He knew I was damaged. He knew I needed help. And he rose up and showered me with love, gifts and inspiration. It wasn’t “grooming” as they want you to believe, it was needed LOVE.
My uncle was too good for humanity. Period. He had too big of a heart. He felt it was his mission to help those suffering, especially children. He donated hundreds of millions to help those in need. He opened up his home to thousands of underprivileged/handicapped kids every year to give them a day of pure joy. Why the media never gave or gives his generosity attention/praise is wrong. But because it doesn’t fit the description they want to portray on him, they never will.
Anyone who knows me knows I try to be as cordial, nice and help as many people as possible. I learned that from him. Trying to be half the man he was. &#8234;I wish the truth was equally as lucrative. I wish positivity sold. Instead negativity $ells, so with the help of every production trick possible these performers (one who has self proclaimed himself as the “Master Of Deception”) get a forum to try to help their billion $ lawsuits and try to be victims in this important time of the #MeToo movement. And with the support of Hollywood powers who have always disliked my Uncle (such as Oprah) they will do their part to try to level my uncle even though he can’t defend himself and he can’t shred their claims. Disgusting and sad.

RIP Uncle Michael. You were too good for this world. I love you and thank you! &#10084;&#65039;&#128591;&#127997; -Meho
#MJInnocent #FactsDontLiePeopleDo

Well, it did not work and many people said part 2 was more fake looking even when they were on the fence about part 1 which changed their minds.

I have heard many great podcasts and interviews (as we all have) but I will have to say - Danny Oliver BY FAR has been the best representation for Michael on TV thus far durring this whole thing. He is articulate, aware of the subject matter and knows how to orginize his statements in a way most would crumble and get emotionally overwhelmed when the lights of the camera come on.

He earned so much of my respect with that interview.. GOOD FOR YOU!!

Last edited:
Back