Coping strategies

jemini515

Proud Member
Hi friends,

I thought I'd start a discussion/list of suggestions for fans who are very upset by the trial (and I count myself as one!). Most of these are things I figured out post June 25th that have worked for me. Please add anything that works for you to help relieve your stress, anxiety, or sadness.

[not to be taken as official medical/psychological advice]

TALK
--find someone in the fan community you can speak to one-on-one about your feelings
--visit a therapist or psychologist, and don't worry about explaining the source of your sadness (a good therapist will not pass personal judgment)
--post here on MJJC

MOVE
--Any kind of exercise. I know it's easy to sit down all day watching news streams but I try to get up in between and take breaks.
--Running, dancing, anything that gets your body moving and endorphins flowing in your brain

REFLECT
--keep a journal of your feelings
--write letters to Michael (I do this a lot)
--pray or meditate
--light candles or create any other ritual that brings a peaceful feeling

HELP
--Participate in a charity or volunteer event (note: during a stressful time I find it easier to commit to a one-off opportunity in your community which puts you in direct contact with those you want to help, rather than organizing your own event from the ground up, at least until your stress level subsides)
--reach out to another fan who is having a hard time and offer your support
--do something small to help any person, animal or the earth, even if you think your act of kindness will go unnoticed

COMPARTMENTALIZE
--try to stick to your usual eating and sleeping schedule
--don't turn to alcohol or substances to cope or numb your feelings
--try to concentrate on whatever work, schoolwork etc you may have without multi-tasking and watching or analyzing the trial. (I believe Michael would want us to continue on successfully in our fields, and to do this requires focus on our work and responsibilities)
--if you think it would help your state of mind, see if there are any ways to filter the information your receive about the trial, for instance reading summaries instead of watching every hour live

Anyway, those are some thinking I'm telling MYSELF these last two days. What works for you? Please post because I'm very interested in what works for others.

Love you all

Severus Snape

Proud Member
Oh, jrsfan, with the second row of your compartmentalization plan, you ask too much of me! However, I have to say I agree. I won't abide, but I agree--it is great advice, and others here should follow it. I just can't.

As for keeping up to date with school, etc. I'm trying. I think one should be able to cut here and there, but don't let yourself fall behind. For example, if you have a test or paper due on a time/day when the trial is streaming, don't miss it! You'll get updated on the proceedings later, but your professor is unlikely to be sympathetic!

Daryll748

Proud Member
Hi friends,

I thought I'd start a discussion/list of suggestions for fans who are very upset by the trial (and I count myself as one!). Most of these are things I figured out post June 25th that have worked for me. Please add anything that works for you to help relieve your stress, anxiety, or sadness.

[not to be taken as official medical/psychological advice]

TALK
--find someone in the fan community you can speak to one-on-one about your feelings
--visit a therapist or psychologist, and don't worry about explaining the source of your sadness (a good therapist will not pass personal judgment)
--post here on MJJC

MOVE
--Any kind of exercise. I know it's easy to sit down all day watching news streams but I try to get up in between and take breaks.
--Running, dancing, anything that gets your body moving and endorphins flowing in your brain

REFLECT
--keep a journal of your feelings
--write letters to Michael (I do this a lot)
--pray or meditate
--light candles or create any other ritual that brings a peaceful feeling

HELP
--Participate in a charity or volunteer event (note: during a stressful time I find it easier to commit to a one-off opportunity in your community which puts you in direct contact with those you want to help, rather than organizing your own event from the ground up, at least until your stress level subsides)
--reach out to another fan who is having a hard time and offer your support
--do something small to help any person, animal or the earth, even if you think your act of kindness will go unnoticed

COMPARTMENTALIZE
--try to stick to your usual eating and sleeping schedule
--don't turn to alcohol or substances to cope or numb your feelings
--try to concentrate on whatever work, schoolwork etc you may have without multi-tasking and watching or analyzing the trial. (I believe Michael would want us to continue on successfully in our fields, and to do this requires focus on our work and responsibilities)
--if you think it would help your state of mind, see if there are any ways to filter the information your receive about the trial, for instance reading summaries instead of watching every hour live

Anyway, those are some thinking I'm telling MYSELF these last two days. What works for you? Please post because I'm very interested in what works for others.

Love you all

Okay Jemini515 :bow: THIS is the POST I was looking for to find here... I'm gonna PRINT this and hang this on my wall as a DAILY REFERENCE... THANKS so much dear :wub:
Anyway, the BOLD parts is the stuff I already do...
I work with a SCEDULE... Mornings Household/ helping family - Afternoons and evenings inspirational work/ helping fans coping/ relaxation/ lighting candles
I follow the case in "D minor" as I call it... ONLY follow the 'twitter' updates and that seems to help now...
I 'escape' in my stories... yeash, MJJC blog again :busted: and my other book project... I also find Cityville very 'relaxing' I'm creating a 'special place' for Michael as my city is called NEVERLAND VALLEY :D

So THANKS for this INSPIRATIONAL topic :clap:

thrillerchild

Proud Member
The Legacy Team are all friendly and easy to get along with. We are always here for people to chat too either on Visitor Messages or by PM. I love those ideas you've got down there Janine :yes:

MJsBollywoodGirl7

Proud Member
Well for the past 3 days I had felt really sick and really upset over this whole trial. I woke up this morning only after getting just over 2 hours worth of sleep. Since I been having problems with insomnia ever since it happen. I haven't had a good night's worth of sleep since before it happen. But I had since gotten used to my insomnia. Any way those are really good ideas. But the way I have been coping is by playing my video and computer games. Reading the Left Behind series. Taking some naps during the day. When I am a sleep I am not thinking about Michael or this trial. Unless I have another one of my MJ dreams or nightmares. Which is not very often. Watch some of my beloved Bollywood movies. They been helping me some. Especially since I no longer have my beloved Michael to turn to for comfort and to help make me feel better. Especially the Bollywood movies that has Shahrukh Khan in them. He is my number 1 favorite actor in the world. And he is also a MJ fan which is one of the things that I really L.O.V.E. about him. And watching non related programs that could talk about the trial. And tried really hard to avoid watching or reading anything that is related to the trial. Why make myself feel even more worst. Well that is what I have been doing.

angelofhope

Proud Member
Great advice. I think the one about not continually watching the live streams is very sensible.