Dancing Inmates - Michael Jackson's This Is It

Re: Phillipine Inmates Doing "The Drill"

Yes, its very effective... and impressive, but I think its outrageous..., why they/the criminals are connected with Michael....?

I found it ludicrous that Sony is using the inmates to promote the TII DVD release.

I hope the media is too busy with the Haiti catastrophe to pay attention to it. I am sure they would have had a field day with it.

I could understand if the inmates took their own initiatives to perform the Drill (like the Thriller video) , but here obviously, Sony and Travis think it would create good press.

all and all, it is very impressive...but one has to admit it is a very peculiar way to promote a movie.

himm why the negativity?

If we need to think back to the reasoning behind this program (rehabilitation and fun way to exercise for the inmates) and the thriller (they did it because they loved it) and then add the tribute that they did for MJ after his death this seems appropriate to me.

furthermore
1) it perfectly recreates the computer generated duplication of the dancers effect that we saw at TII with actual thousand or more inmates- which looks perfect
2) also fits with they don't care about us prison version video that MJ shot - this time it is real prisoners.

Peace sign is perhaps the most important point. If a group of prisoners in a maximum security prison can come together to send the message of peace this only show the strength of Michael's music and message.

Last edited:

himm why the negativity?
Peace sign is perhaps the most important point. If a group of prisoners in a maximum security prison can come together to send the message of peace this only show the strength of Michael's music and message.
I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!:punk:
THANKS MJ FOR THE MAGIC!!!!!!

Wow, that was totally incredible.....Michael was such an amazing man...:cry:

I loved it. I would have loved it even more if Travis had just stuck to dancing. You aint no Michael Travis. I still loved it.

Amazing dance! I absolutely love it. And the peace sign in the end is fantastic.

I keep thinking what it would have been like to see MJ performing this dance onstage... :(

For those of you saying what does this have to do with Michael, you do remember there is a prison version of TDCAU right?

For those of you saying what does this have to do with Michael, you do remember there is a prison version of TDCAU right?

Also, this is the same prison that did the popular Thriller video, which was hilarious and fantastic at the same time. I loved it. I thought it was amazing how they did the peace sign. I just kept imagining MJ being in front of Travis, it would've been awesome.:(

Last edited:

I think its wonderful. So well done and the peace sign at the end was brilliant. I bet Michael was looking down and smiling seeing this that's for sure. Travis put a lot of effort into this and it paid off big time. It looked phenomenal but as phenomenal as this is it still can not possibly beat the little bits of film we got of Michael doing it. Him doing this on stage in front of me would have been jaw dropping.

Aww sweet

when's this ???

Jan 17-20, 2010

CEBU CITY, Philippines – The “Thriller” routine of the Cebu dancing inmates captured audiences worldwide, including the King of Pop himself, the late Michael Jackson.

“Michael saw the Cebu dancing inmates on YouTube and enjoyed them immensely. During rehearsals, we would watch and he would get tremendous joy,” Jackson’s world-famous choreographer, Travis Payne, told ABS-CBN Correspondent and Anchor Karen Davila.

Payne, along with two of Jackson’s backup dancers, taught the inmates at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center new routines for a special dance video that will be released to coincide with the “This Is It” DVD launch this month.

The choreographer said it was but fitting to include a special dance number from the now world-renowned Cebu inmates for the special “This Is It” DVD launch.

The Cebu dancing inmates even made it to the “Michael Jackson Opus,” the only new publication that was approved and endorsed by Jackson himself and the estate of Michael Jackson.

The Opus, which was released last month, features more than 300 rare and previously unpublished photos. Two pages of the photo book featured the Cebu dancing inmates.

Special routines

Payne and dancers Daniel Celebre and Dres Reid taught the inmates the “Drill” and “They Don't Really Care About Us” routines.

The two routines were unique made-for-tour performances for “This Is It," which was supposed to be Jackson’s final curtain call concert tour.

It took a full day for the prisoners to learn the routine on Monday. Their performance will be taped on Tuesday.

“This Is It,” a global box office hit, includes Jackson’s rehearsal footage until his untimely demise on June 25, 2009 due to cardiac arrest. The “This Is It” DVD will be launched worldwide on January 26.

Watch out for the worldwide launch of the DVD as well as ABS-CBN's exclusive video footage of the full experience very soon.

OOOOOOOOMMMMMGGG!!!! This gave ME CHILLS!!! OMG! I dont even know what to say right now. This is AMAZING!!! THIS IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! Coming together BECAUSE OF ONE MAN!!!! THIS IS HIStory!!!! MICHAEL, Just because you passed, People didnt forget. They're spreading ur MESSAGE AND LEGACY!!!!

It actually made me cry:cry: somewhere in the middle and when they made the Peace sign. MY GOD! This is Better than any AWARD SHOW TRIBUTE EVER DONE FOR MICHAEL! God BLESS THEM ALL!!!

L.O.V.E.
Romi

I had goosebumps watching them...I even cried lol! at the same time proud that even if we didn't have the flashmob dance here, the inmates have somehow represented our country and really an honor to have MJ's best choreographer and dancers to teach the routine. I felt sad at the same time, because it reminded me of Michael. If he's alive today, i know he will be delighted to see this, especially that according to Travis Payne “Michael saw the Cebu dancing inmates on YouTube and enjoyed them immensely. During rehearsals, we would watch and he would get tremendous joy,” And Michael would really be proud of the efforts of the inmates since he has already done this before. Michael has done a Music video with the concept of being inside the penitentiary for TDCAU where he got a lot of criticisms from the media and from people who cannot see the positive message behind it. Just like today, this video is being criticized etc...etc..I really hope people would stop the negativity and saw more of the positive. Kudos to Travis and his companions for the effort of really coming here. It makes all the MJ fans in the country feel really important!

We miss you MJ!...wish you were here

..., why they/the criminals are connected with Michael....?

and what is that suppose to mean?

Michael had a prison music video for TDCAU, just in case you don't know. And not just because they are "criminals" they should be in no way associated with Michael, and not just because they are criminals there is NO MORE room for change for them. Actually, their dancing skills all started when the warden of the prison wanted a new rehabilitation approach and changed their harsh daily military exercise into a dance/aerobic execise which is more holistic. It started with that and when they become popular they already started dancing "FOR A CAUSE" which means raising funds for victims of calamities, promoting peace, supporting civic activities and for saving the environment campaigns etc..etc...

Also, MICHAEL loved it when he saw them in youtube. And according to the WARDEN of these prisoners and I quote...

"Rehabilitation is not rehabilitation when it is anchored on punitive action. Byron believes that rehabilitation has to be anchored on compassion so that a sinner can be separated from the sin, so the degenerate from the culture and humanity be regenerated into the humane. "Rehabilitation has to be anchored on bringing out the best in men instead of the worst in men", Byron says. If rehabilitation is ineffective in jails, then any society into which hardened criminals are released and re-integrated, seals itself and closes in on its doom. "If we make jails a living hell for these inmates, then we might just be turning out devils once they are released" Byron says!

Last edited:

and what is that suppose to mean?

Michael had a prison music video for TDCAU, just in case you don't know. And not just because they are "criminals" they should be in no way associated with Michael, and not just because they are criminals there is NO MORE room for change for them.

Also, MICHAEL loved it when he saw them in youtube. And according to the WARDEN of these prisoners and I quote...

"Rehabilitation is not rehabilitation when it is anchored on punitive action. Byron believes that rehabilitation has to be anchored on compassion so that a sinner can be separated from the sin, so the degenerate from the culture and humanity be regenerated into the humane. "Rehabilitation has to be anchored on bringing out the best in men instead of the worst in men", Byron says. If rehabilitation is ineffective in jails, then any society into which hardened criminals are released and re-integrated, seals itself and closes in on its doom. "If we make jails a living hell for these inmates, then we might just be turning out devils once they are released" Byron says!

Agree!

Those Inmates are amazing.. they kno how to discipline their selves and know how to cooperate to others..

proud of them..

himm why the negativity?

If we need to think back to the reasoning behind this program (rehabilitation and fun way to exercise for the inmates) and the thriller (they did it because they loved it) and then add the tribute that they did for MJ after his death this seems appropriate to me.

VEry Well said!:clapping:

OMG!!!!!! :wild: Thanks for sharing the video. :)

Wow, they were perfect and did not see any error in the choreography! :punk: I loved and Michael certainly would love too. :yes:

I thought this was amazing and really brought tears to my eyes :cry:

It just shows like many others have said Michael was a genius, he brought these people together for a good reason, to work together in harmony! I understand peoples concerns i really do, however u have to stop and look past the media and sony this is about these men coming together to plan an amazing tribute to Michael.
What would they be doing otherwise?? Prison is a nasty place that is full of gang violence and instead what do we have..... Michaels music and message bringing them all together!!! I think it is inspiring and shows that one person, if its the right person can really change the way the world is!! I just wish this person could have been around to see things like this taking place :( I am thrilled he got to see the thriller performance because i am sure he would have been overjoyed!!!

Miss you always Michael and well done for bringing these men together! :heart:

thats was really awesome

Only Michael. Only Michael. :)

I thought this was amazing and really brought tears to my eyes :cry:

It just shows like many others have said Michael was a genius, he brought these people together for a good reason, to work together in harmony! I understand peoples concerns i really do, however u have to stop and look past the media and sony this is about these men coming together to plan an amazing tribute to Michael.
What would they be doing otherwise?? Prison is a nasty place that is full of gang violence and instead what do we have..... Michaels music and message bringing them all together!!! I think it is inspiring and shows that one person, if its the right person can really change the way the world is!! I just wish this person could have been around to see things like this taking place :( I am thrilled he got to see the thriller performance because i am sure he would have been overjoyed!!!

Miss you always Michael and well done for bringing these men together! :heart:

thanks danielle i agree with you 100% :yes::yes::yes:

Watch This: The Filipino Prisoners Learn Michael Jackson's "This Is It"
by Jen Yamato Jan 25th 2010 // 10:32PM

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/25/watch-this-the-filipino-prisoners-learn-michael-jacksons-this/

Remember those Filipino prisoners who became YouTube sensations for their staged version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller," complete with a cross-dressing inmate playing MJ's terrified girlfriend? After delighting the world with their forced renditions of numbers from Sister Act and "YMCA," the dancers are back...and they've apparently joined forces with Sony Pictures to help promote the 2010 DVD release of the MJ documentary This Is It.

On paper, the idea of merging the pop cultural firepower of Michael Jackson's posthumous hit documentary with that one prison in the Philippines where inmates are forced to learn cool dances sounds like an awesome idea, if a little bizarre. And for once, the army of orange-pantsed convicts have been filmed with panache – in crisp high def, with multiple cameras and swooping crane shots. But as you watch choreographer Travis Payne and dancers Daniel Celebre and Dres Reid lead 1500 or so of Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in a selection of numbers from Jackson's planned This Is It concert tour, the whole thing starts to feel a little icky.

Ok, the dancing does look pretty cool. For instance, where MJ had to create a CG army of dancers behind him for the "They Don't Care About Us" number in This Is It, Payne (dancing the MJ part) has an army of real dancers behind him. And they're all wearing This Is It t-shirts and brand new Converse sneakers, so at least they got something out of the deal. But listen to the lyrics; this particular edit conveniently excises the parts about being victimized by the police and raped of pride – you know, the passage with lyrics like "Set me free" and being accused of things you didn't do – and skips ahead to the righteous Martin Luther King part. And then the prisoners form a giant peace sign.

Take a look for yourself in the clip below, posted to YouTube by Sony Pictures DVD. (This Is It hits DVD shelves this week.)

I did not notice that sections of the song were removed. It is a very weird way of promoting a movie.

Here is the original video uploaded by the jail warden himself--Byron Garcia. At the end Travis was talking to the jail warden Byron Garcia about how Michael would watch the dancing inmates many times during the rehearsal to be inspired during the day. Peace to the whole world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCj3BBQxSs

Last edited:

Omg! I am so emotional at this moment, to see all this...it make me cry tears of joy to see the impact Michael made in so many souls, he would have been so proud and happy to see this. I bet he is watching from above and smiling. I we all keep together sending this mesdsage of love and fight for the freedom of many. wWE WILL MAKE A CHANGE!, like Mike wanted. thank you Michael for all your love and knowledge:angel:. we love you. I LOVE YOU MIKE. I MISS YOU.:wub:

Dancing Philippine jailbirds in new Jackson Internet hit

Dancing Philippine jailbirds in new Jackson Internet hit

11 mins ago

MANILA (AFP) – A group of dancing Philippine prisoners has created a new Internet video hit with a spectacular routine led by Michael Jackson's choreographer dancing to the title track of his posthumous DVD.

The clip has generated more than 600,000 hits on the video sharing wesbite YouTube since it was uploaded Friday by Sony Entertainment ahead of Tuesday's global release of the late superstar's "This is It" DVD.

The four-minute, 26-second film shows Jackson choreographer Travis Payne leading 1,200 inmates clad in regulation orange prison trousers and black shirts featuring the DVD's logo through a well-synchronised jailyard routine.

Sony said Payne and his crew spent two days this month at the maximum security jail in the central Philippine city of Cebu to record the dance as part of the promotion for the launch of Jackson's DVD.

The King of Pop died on June 25 last year in Los Angeles and an investigation into his death has focused on unlawful prescriptions of the powerful anesthetic propofol.

The Cebu inmates, including murders, rapists and drug traffickers, achieved instant cult fame around the world when a clip of them dancing to Jackson's "Thriller" hit was posted on YouTube in 2007.

The "Thriller" clip has since generated 37.5 million hits on YouTube, while other dance routines have also been posted and fuelled the prisoners' cult aura.

Officials at the jail began the dance exercises as a way to ease tensions among the inmates and improve their chances at rehabilitation.

They, and prisoners who have been previously interviewed, say the programme has been a huge success, with fighting among inmates down markedly since the dancing was introduced.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2010012...inesjacksonprisonmusicinternet_20100126081700

http://www.youtube.com/v/mKtdTJP_GUI&hl=de_DE&fs=1&

Filipino, Philippines "Dancing Inmates" from Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), a maximum security prison, were treated to a visit by Michael Jacksons long-time choreographer Travis Payne and dancers Daniel Celebre and Dres Reid to learn performances from THIS IS IT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtdTJP_GUI

Re: Dancing Philippine jailbirds in new Jackson Internet hit

Wow. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Amazingly coordinated and organised, and the result is simply magical. Well done Travis.

This would make Michael so happy.

Re: Dancing Philippine jailbirds in new Jackson Internet hit

proud filipino right here.

Back