Dangerous 25: what would you like to see happen? [UNCONFIRMED]

Dangerous didn't need remastering. The 2001 special editions sound worse than the original albums. All they did was clip the audio and make it too loud. It really just came down to everyone else was doing it so why not. I wish more people released dynamic albums. Most are brickwalled.

I hope they do release a 25th anniversary edition of Dangerous.

Mostly becuase it would be a good time to release a new Dangerous concert. - On Blu-Ray. - And hopefully with lots of extra material this time!!

TinnyandOdd;4089740 said:
It "skips" in 1 or 2 parts.

It's more like a very tiny digital white noise (like a recording error on the DAT cassette, or a gate-filter accident from the percussion or so) but nothing skipping.
This was probably too deeply burried within the frequency spectrum to have to filtered out completly during mastering. I guess it sounded worse before mastering.

TinnyandOdd;4089740 said:
It "skips" in 1 or 2 parts.

No skipping at all.

Electro;4089797 said:
It's more like a very tiny digital white noise (like a recording error on the DAT cassette, or a gate-filter accident from the percussion or so) but nothing skipping.
This was probably too deeply burried within the frequency spectrum to have to filtered out completly during mastering. I guess it sounded worse before mastering.

It is really sad that they never found a way to fix it & probably that error will reappear.

mj_frenzy;4089729 said:
00:45 & 02:28.

It is audible even in compressed formats (mp3, etc.).

Was it the... clicks?? or something?? I heard a really subtle click thing at 0:44 and 2:29 or so, I played it loud and it was still pretty inaudible (thankfully)... as in I would've had to be deliberately listening out for it.

HIStoric;4089908 said:
Was it the... clicks?? or something?? I heard a really subtle click thing at 0:44 and 2:29 or so, I played it loud and it was still pretty inaudible (thankfully)... as in I would've had to be deliberately listening out for it.

Try it out with a pair of headphones (preferably a good one), no speakers.

They sound more like scratches at 00:45 & 02:28-02:29.

These errors are pretty noticeable, so, I refuse to accept that they weren’t aware of them during the mastering process.

Is there any news regarding Dangerous 25? Gosh I really hope it's going to happen!

The estate is currently focusing on the Off the Wall documentary and working on promo stuff. D25 won't begin work for a while (that is assuming that they decide to put together such a package).

AlwaysThere;4093112 said:
The estate is currently focusing on the Off the Wall documentary and working on promo stuff. D25 won't begin work for a while (that is assuming that they decide to put together such a package).

Damn it.. I hope they decide to do something (big) with Dangerous 25. It would be a shame if they didn't. I hope that the Estate won't make a stupid decision...

Doggone;4093113 said:
Damn it.. I hope they decide to do something (big) with Dangerous 25. It would be a shame if they didn't. I hope that the Estate won't make a stupid decision...

I would say it's a safe bet that if Dangerous 25 comes to fruition for next year, it will be a small project aimed for the fans - two discs with some demos and a few new songs. Odds aren't in their favor as far as sales and public attention are concerned and they definitely won't want to waste any more money.

Dangerous is his best album ever. It deserves a BIG re-release

They have to be perceptive & should not necessarily spend a fortune for this release.

mj_frenzy;4093201 said:
They have to be perceptive & do not necessarily spend a fortune for this release.

Neither can they ignore it. Re-releasing the album, 1 or 2 singles and a new dvd is enough. Dangerous is his best work. They can't ignore. It deserves more credit

Doggone;4093202 said:
Neither can they ignore it. Re-releasing the album, 1 or 2 singles and a new dvd is enough. Dangerous is his best work. They can't ignore. It deserves more credit

Obviously, I agree with you.

I am really curious about the visual material...

IMWhizzle;4093200 said:
Dangerous is his best album ever. It deserves a BIG re-release

Doggone;4093202 said:

That's subjective though I'm personally inclined to agree with you two. History's my favorite but Dangerous is excellent.

Dangerous deserves more critical attention and appraisal. But putting millions of dollars into a re-release would be a poor move.

Bad25 was a commercial disappointment when considering the amount of money Sony put into the various available packages. It was a disaster in the United States and dropped thirty-two spots in the United Kingdom (#6 in the first week, #38 in the second). Sales started off lower than expected and continued a drastic decline from there.

Keep in mind that Bad is considered Michael's third best album (behind Thriller and Off the Wall) and sees constant praise from most critics. Not only that, but album re-issues are typically low-sellers, which is why there usually isn't much detail or attention put into them.

Now compare that to Dangerous, which sees little to no critical attention and generally isn't discussed in conversations on great pop albums. If the Bad album failed commercially, it makes sense to suggest that the Dangerous album would do considerably worse.

The Estate and Sony first and foremost are businesses, meaning that they need to make wise business and commercial decisions. They've already wasted money and I'm sure they'll be hesitant to waste any more.

Dangerous deserves more attention than it's getting, but a "BIG re-release" would be nonsensical. The most I would say to expect is two discs with some demos and new tracks. A DVD is unnecessary (as some fans will whine that there isn't a Blu-Ray, which in itself would cost even more money), and a big promotional trek would be a waste of money.

Once again, I love Dangerous - don't get me wrong - but we have to be realistic.

Yes, I don't think we can expect Dangerous 25 to be commercially very successful with the general public. Re-releases generally do not do that well and if they do than that's a re-release of a legendary album (eg. Thriller). While Dangerous is a fan favourite (my favourite too and to me it's MJ's best album) but it does not hold the same status with the general public as Thriller (or even OTW or Bad).

So make it a heavily fan aimed re-released. Which actually can be even a good thing in terms of artistic focus. For example more demos, outtakes, different takes and less (or preferably none at all) remixes. To me it does not have to be surrounded with some big promo campaign (probably that would not be financially viable either for the above mentioned reasons). I think it can be good even with no big commercial expectations and no big promotion.

There are various, unofficial petitions/votings on different Youtube channels regarding a possible ‘Dangerous 25’ DVD.

Fans seem to prefer Tokyo Dome 1992, Munich 1992, etc.

Personally, I would like to see an officially released concert from the second leg (1993).

I really hope they release a new concert. If Dangerous 25 happens I hope they include some demos in there but they should leave new songs for albums like Xscape because they sell more.

mj_frenzy;4093220 said:
There are various, unofficial petitions/votings on different Youtube channels regarding a possible ‘Dangerous 25’ DVD.

Fans seem to prefer Tokyo Dome 1992, Munich 1992, etc.

Personally, I would like to see an officially released concert from the second leg (1993).

They want Tokyo and Munich for "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Bad". Billie Jean in Munich isn't really good for me. There is not even ad-libs. I think Wembley would be a better choice and TWYMMF & Bad in Bonus.

I just care about having DANGEROUS in the setlist.
Having TWYMMF and BAD would be nice, too, but yeah.
Just no Bucharest.

And put LISA ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY on there :D

I think a Dangerous Tour montage DVD would be great. Clips from 92 and 93. I normally don't like those kinds of DVD's but since we have Bucharest, and the 93 show to me is incomplete (No WDAN or Beat It???!!) then a best of DVD would be brilliant.

Obviously a few demos and outtakes would be lovely but we all need to remember that just because we have all downloaded the unreleased special edition 2nd disc (She Got It, Work That Body, Serious Effect) we have no one to blame but ourselves if these songs are included. Thats the game.

lougrizli;4093803 said:
They want Tokyo and Munich for "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Bad". Billie Jean in Munich isn't really good for me. There is not even ad-libs. I think Wembley would be a better choice and TWYMMF & Bad in Bonus.

This is because premieres almost always are not perfect (technically, etc.) because shows (as they proceed) tend to have gradual improvements. Apart from the lack of ‘Billie Jean’ ad-lips you mentioned, I think that from ‘Munich’ onwards there were a lot of changes/improvements. So, I agree with you that it is not a good idea to officially release his first show.

innuendo141;4093919 said:
I think a Dangerous Tour montage DVD would be great. Clips from 92 and 93. I normally don't like those kinds of DVD's but since we have Bucharest, and the 93 show to me is incomplete (No WDAN or Beat It???!!) then a best of DVD would be brilliant.

Obviously a few demos and outtakes would be lovely but we all need to remember that just because we have all downloaded the unreleased special edition 2nd disc (She Got It, Work That Body, Serious Effect) we have no one to blame but ourselves if these songs are included. Thats the game.

‘Dangerous’ demos or outtakes are not limited to only these 5 or 6 songs.

There are plenty of them, & personally I would love to hear those songs that are different (musically) from that ‘new jack swing’ style (Bryan Loren session, etc.). I am really interested in all those different concepts & ideas that MJ had for the album ‘Dangerous’.

In regard to a possible live DVD, I think that a full concert from the second leg would probably be more interesting (since his most successful concert in 1992 has been officially available for over a decade).

innuendo141;4093919 said:
and the 93 show to me is incomplete (No WDAN or Beat It???!!) then a best of DVD would be brilliant.

That's one of the reasons why I don't want a 93 show released. Another reason is that MJs performance wasn't as good as it was in the 92 shows.

analogue;4093956 said:
That's one of the reasons why I don't want a 93 show released. Another reason is that MJs performance wasn't as good as it was in the 92 shows.

I agree. In 1993 concerts it looks like Michael doesn't want to be there. We know why.

Galactus123;4093957 said:
I agree. In 1993 concerts it looks like Michael doesn't want to be there. We know why.

Exactly. I'd rather a show where Michael looks happy and wants to be there

analogue;4093963 said:
Exactly. I'd rather a show where Michael looks happy and wants to be there

Yeah, just watched Jam from Mexico and the "drill" section in the middle looks like he could not be BOTHERED with life. For obvious reasons. I think Buenos Aires he seems OK though?

Am I right in saying he performed with the black jacket and bullets in 92 for a few shows?

innuendo141;4093964 said:
Yeah, just watched Jam from Mexico and the "drill" section in the middle looks like he could not be BOTHERED with life. For obvious reasons. I think Buenos Aires he seems OK though?

Am I right in saying he performed with the black jacket and bullets in 92 for a few shows?
You mean the black Jam jacket? He wore it on opening night in Munich and during the Tokyo shows at the end of '92. Not at any other show, I think.

Back