Did Michael get the gold leotard for the Dangerous Tour from Madonnas Blonde Ambition tour?

OMG! First the favourite pictures thread! And now this one! Am I still alive??

dangfistlipbite.gif

We need that @MacMandy90 siggy!

2 beautiful images together.

Last edited:
I musy say - as a straight male - I find the gold leotard (g-string??) very weird, ugly and so not MJ...

In the Triller and BAD era he was so stylish, cool jackets, zippers, leather, great out-fits.

Then came Dangerous Tour and all of a sudden this is the look he goes for?? Very weird. And it has not aged well I must say.

Cringe and embarrassing...

I musy say - as a straight male
😂 You lost half of the battle right there 🤣

And it has not aged well I must say.

Cringe and embarrassing...
Many of the girls here would wonder, what are you saying 🤔, are you blind!! The way that outfit hugs his dancer's body and abs :love:
But well, if only you could see it from the eyes of a straight woman 🤩 :D

😂 You lost half of the battle right there 🤣

Many of the girls here would wonder, what are you saying 🤔, are you blind!! The way that outfit hugs his dancer's body and abs :love:
But well, if only you could see it from the eyes of a straight woman 🤩 :D

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You may have a point, but still. No one would ever - not even back in 1992-1993 when the tour was going on - copy or be inspired by this out-fit.
MJ had been so big an inspiration to fashion during Thriller and BAD, it just baffles my mind hi would go for this out-fit.

I actually also thought straight girls would think it looked stupid and comical. - I am quite sure if I wore this outfit, no girls would find me attractive. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As the other ladies here know, I'm not a huge fan of this look either. Love it with the jacket during Jam. But otherwise, it's not a look I can appreciate the way the other women do. That said, I understand why so many love it. There are moments and particular shots where I could scream over how amazing he looks. I just am personally so much more in love with his tour looks for Bad and HIStory.

You may have a point, but still. No one would ever - not even back in 1992-1993 when the tour was going on - copy or be inspired by this out-fit.
MJ had been so big an inspiration to fashion during Thriller and BAD, it just baffles my mind hi would go for this out-fit.
I think his fashion as a whole during the Dangerous era was immaculate too!! He definitely never dropped off as a fashion icon in my eyes. He served look-after-look constantly. I'm just not wild about *this* particular look. Bad era is my all around favorite era fashion wise, from the tour outfits to the various award show appearances he made, and his fashion in short films. Thriller would be a close second.

I actually also thought straight girls would think it looked stupid and comical.
Oh I don't think that... I can't imagine ever thinking MJ looked stupid!! I do think he pulls off basically anything he goes for because he is a literal work of art 😊

- I am quite sure if I wore this outfit, no girls would find me attractive. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
😂 😂 😂

MJ brings out the unhinged animal in all, (well maybe not all), but MANY of us lol. It's hard to even explain which is why we have 10,000 photo threads of gushing.

But as @Michaels Lover said above, I do feel pretty confident MJ is the only man that could pull this look off 😊

@Hiker, from a stylistic point of view, the gold leotard was not a good choice at all for him during the Dangerous Tour.

He even made it look worse when he wore it with a jacket (such as, during the 'Smooth Criminal' performance) because it looked like a thong.

@Fuzball, it is not just these blue trousers (from the 'Working Day And Night' performance in the Dangerous Tour) that look like he is wearing a blue garbage bag.

One can say that also this black jacket (from the 'I'll Be There' performance in the Dangerous Tour, Bucharest) looks like he is wearing a black garbage bag.

I mean.... idk how anyone could say it wasn't a good stylistic choice when so many fans love it. This thread basically exists as a shrine to it. Just because it's not personally my favorite doesn't mean I think it was bad, or assume others are wrong for loving it.

Also, I LOVE the way it looks with the smooth criminal jacket. Nothing can ever detract from smooth criminal being a sexy, amazing performance, anyway. But I also think the outfit looks genuinely great with it. Super sexy.

Finally, it's just straight up trolling to say the black leather jacket he wore over it didn't look 🔥 c'mon. He looked soooo sexy!

@Hiker are you proud of me for defending your favorite look??? 😂

I mean.... idk how anyone could say it wasn't a good stylistic choice when so many fans love it. This thread basically exists as a shrine to it. Just because it's not personally my favorite doesn't mean I think it was bad, or assume others are wrong for loving it.

Also, I LOVE the way it looks with the smooth criminal jacket. Nothing can ever detract from smooth criminal being a sexy, amazing performance, anyway. But I also think the outfit looks genuinely great with it. Super sexy.

Finally, it's just straight up trolling to say the black leather jacket he wore over it didn't look 🔥 c'mon. He looked soooo sexy!

Do you also think that the gold leotard looks genuinely great with the jacket during the 'Jam' performance?

The gold leotard looks even more like a thong during the 'Jam' performance because he has his jacket buttoned-up.

Certain of Michael Jackson's stylistic decisions were also not good at all for him during his subsequent HIStory Tour.

Such as, that lace black shirt during the 'You Are Not Alone' performance, because this is a garment mainly meant for women.

Do you also think that the gold leotard looks genuinely great with the jacket during the 'Jam' performance?
Yes. That's when I like it the most, actually. He looks like a God when he explodes onto stage.

The gold leotard looks even more like a thong during the 'Jam' performance because he has his jacket buttoned-up.
Nah, I think it looks bad ass with the jacket and the belt! He looks powerful.

Certain of Michael Jackson's stylistic decisions were also not good at all for him during his subsequent HIStory Tour.
"Not good at all" Lol sure.

Such as, that lace black shirt during the 'You Are Not Alone' performance, because this is a garment mainly meant for women.
What I marvel at is when people talk about their own personal fashion preferences as FACT. As a woman, I never once thought the lace black shirt looks like a woman's shirt. It just looks romantic and dreamy, which matches the performance.

Totally get if people just don't like the style that's fine. There are some of his outfits he wore at different appearances that I don't like at all (though that's pretty rare). But there is not some definitive correct answer to whether or not his style worked on these shows.

The gold leotard was a bit of an acquired taste for me, admittedly. Bad Tour 1988 will always be my favorite tour outfit, HIStory Tour being a fairly close second.

Thing is, Michael had an impressive sense of style, plus he was, in my opinion, a very attractive man. He could pull off almost anything! There's also the fact that the Dangerous tour had some amazing clips, shots, song-specific outfit combinations, etc. which all made it work really well. There are even some really cool backstage shots where Michael is just being casual with the leotard on and oh man, that does things with me, too. 😍

But it's not even the only "acquired taste" look for me. I had a similar reaction to In The Closet originally because I missed Michael's bangs (curly or straight, I looooove him with bangs!). It wasn't until recently that I really started appreciating it for what it was.

Love most of Michael's outfits though! Absolutely. He was the King of Fashion, truly.

Last edited:
Thing is, Michael had an impressive sense of style, plus he was, in my opinion, a very attractive man.
Who could argue with objective facts? 😊 🤷‍♀️

There are even some really cool backstage shots where Michael is just being causal with the leotard on and oh man, that does things with me, too. 😍
Yesssss totally agree!

I had a similar reaction to In The Closet originally because I missed Michael's bangs (curly or straight, I looooove him with bangs!). It wasn't until recently that I really started appreciating it for what it was.
Same with me!!! You all know I'm a nut case about his curls so the adjustment for me is very difficult. But very recently I'm starting to feel it!

Anyway, enough slander on the gold leotard! Here's some sexy pics to make up for it!

The gold leotard must be the Invincible of Michael's stage outfits, lol. I can't think of another costume that invites such polarised opinions. And the people who dislike the gold leotard REALLY dislike it on an almost visceral level.

It's interesting.

I adore the gold leotard. I think it's by far his best stage outfit. Nothing else comes close, imo. He looked fabulous in the 80's and he rocked so many timeless, iconic looks. His clothes were beautiful and stylish and exciting. But the gold leotard is just whole other level for me.

It's a proper dancer's outfit. Yes, it's inspired by the outfits worn in fencing but the garment itself would not look out of place in a contemporary dance company. Michael's physique was slender and elegant and he had the most beautiful body lines. Many of his outfits (apart from ITC and possibly Scream) obscure his body lines which is a shame. The gold leotard is the only one which positively celebrates his physique. His dancing is sensual, elegant, fierce and lyrical. The outfit enhances and supports all of that. It's a wonderful conflation of shape, colour, light and shade, texture. The craftsmanship is gorgeous.

Michael looked sensationally beautiful all through the 1990's, imo, and the leotard absolutely showcases his physical appeal to perfection. More importantly, it captures his movements, gives him all the freedom he needs and is uniquely Michael. The corset worn by Madonna was just that, a corset. Very much in the style of corsets from the 1950's and early 1960's. Not particularly interesting or innovative. Just a corset.

Here's Michael Bush talking about some of Michael's clothes.

Time stamp for the bit where he talks about the gold leotard - 9m 12s

The gold leotard must be the Invincible of Michael's stage outfits, lol. I can't think of another costume that invites such polarised opinions. And the people who dislike the gold leotard REALLY dislike it on an almost visceral level.
Interesting point and true! Although I'm not wild about it, I am certainly no where near having a strong visceral dislike of it. In fact, it seems like it's mostly male fans that are VERY bothered (however that's based on my very limited exposure...I haven't dug super deep into the archives about this).

Michael looked sensationally beautiful all through the 1990's
😊

imo, and the leotard absolutely showcases his physical appeal to perfection. More importantly, it captures his movements, gives him all the freedom he needs and is uniquely Michael. The corset worn by Madonna was just that, a corset. Very much in the style of corsets from the 1950's and early 1960's. Not particularly interesting or innovative. Just a corset.
Great point! Also I deleted it for space, but I loved your whole breakdown of the artistry of the outfit.

Here's Michael Bush talking about some of Michael's clothes.
Time stamp for the bit where he talks about the gold leotard - 9m 12s
This was excellent! I love what Bush says about fencing being a king's sport. Also knowing Michael liked certain parts of it for the movement. I need to watch this whole video and I neeeeed his book!

I actually also thought straight girls would think it looked stupid and comical. - I am quite sure if I wore this outfit, no girls would find me attractive. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
you may be right. I forgot to point out that Michael just makes it work! It's a dancer's outfit, practical and Michael just makes it look SEXY!!!. You need that dancer's perfect body, those abs, and arms, and most importantly that ATTITUDE! to make such an outfit work. That is all I am going to say on this thread :censored:

@Hiker, from a stylistic point of view, the gold leotard was not a good choice at all for him during the Dangerous Tour.
oh I would absolutely disagree. As I have said countless times before, my life would have been so incomplete without seeing Michael perform HN in that outfit ...... (refer to my other posts for more graphic details) 🤣

oh, I am so very proud! :geek:

you have got to be kidding!!! He is BOSS in that Jam performance.! .... and the YANA black shirt! OMG! :love: He is so manly in that whole performance, I don't know what you are talking about :unsure:

What I marvel at is when people talk about their own personal fashion preferences as FACT. As a woman, I never once thought the lace black shirt looks like a woman's shirt. It just looks romantic and dreamy, which matches the performance.
yes, romantic and dreamy! words I was looking for.

I think straight men (which I am assuming you are, but sorry if I am mistaken), will never get what the Dangerous and HIStory outfits mean, and they can't be blamed for that.

I think straight men (which I am assuming you are, but sorry if I am mistaken), will never get what the Dangerous and HIStory outfits mean, and they can't be blamed for that.

I assume this part was not directed at me. If it was, we have a lot to catch up on 😉 😂

I do not hate it. - And I would never state it as a fact that it's not a good stage costume.

I only say - it's not my taste. If people like it, that's great. - If women find MJ attractive in it - then MJ appereantly knew what he was doing.
I only wish then he had taken it of after WBSS. It does notreally fit - IMO - udner the Smooth Criminal outfit. Smooth Criminal is badass macho gangster style. - I do not see many gangsters wearing a thong.

Back