Did Michael let us down with his drug addiction?

^^^
I'm not excusing anyone using drugs, but I don't feel let down by him.

Well, if it is really a drug addiction, that did him in (which I don't believe), then he let himself down.... he let his children down... he robbed himself of the chance to see his children grow up and all the other great things that could have happened! He doesn't owe us anything, so he can't let us down!

it should be considered that there is a bit of a distinction between having lasting medical issues, which create the need for some medications ... and that of the image of a crack addict or heroine junkee.

Yes! If anything he took medicine... and not drugs! There's a difference! That's kinda what I don't like about the english language.... in german there is a distinction... the one thing, the legal stuff, is medicine or medication and the other thing, the illegal stuff, are drugs!

I just feel sorry about what he had to cope with and sad at how this ended. I don't blame him, I blame the combined factors that resulted in this tragedy. It wasn't inevitable, it was a result of everything that's wrong with this world.

Agreed.

Sorry Shan but I am reopening this thread as members are letting their emotions flow.

Thanks. I posted this question in this forum because i knew that this is the forum to post the speculation and conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Thank YOU! Some of you "fans" got a whole lot of nerve. Michael didn't even know your name. How in the world could he let you or us down. Some of yall really think that you are entitled to or are more so apart of michael's life then you are. Why must we keep forgetting that we are just fans. Michael does better then most celebs with show love to his fans but don't get it twisted. He did't owe us anything to let us down.

And the sad part about this whole thing is, that we don't even know if the man had and addiction. This is pathetic. How did I know that this thread was started by somebody with less then 100 post. I just knew it before I clicked on it. ANd sure nough I was right. I'm outta thiis thread. You ppl got some serious problems thinking michael owed us so much when he didn't even know us like that.

I understand if your upset. But as somebody said, its ok to talk about it if you want. Yes i have less than 100 posts; now whos acting like there a specially entitled fan?

I don't think he let us down at all. I mean his drug addiction started with the pepsi accident.
Throughout the years he has had injuries, surgeries (scalp- for nearly 10 years), broken foot, vertebrae and what not. Anyone would be dependent on pain medications. And we really don't know his whole medical issues.

I am NOT trying to excuse anything- just merely trying to be UNDERSTANDING.

You know I think most of us can overcome physical pain. But the emotional pain and suffering he had to endure. That is the cause of all this.
If I had to endure everything that our society has accused him of, made fun of, made spoof's of, then for his reputation and legacy to be forever tarnished by two EXTORTION ATTEMPTS? I would have off myself along time ago, if I had to go through everything he has been through.

It seems like Michael wanted anesthetic medication because he couldn't sleep. Wanting 8 hours of sleep to me is pretty normal. I don't know.

I do know that I BETTER NEVER RUN INTO CONRAD MURRAY. Dear Lord Help me!

I think that Michael did as well, if not better, than any human could have done under the terrible circumstances he had to endure.

I know I would have turned against everybody years ago if I'd had to endure half of the terrible things Mike had to. Despite everything he seemed to maintain his faith in his family, his fans, and humanity in general, whereas I would have said f*** you all a long time ago.

So, what if Michael had to take medication to help with his pain - both physical and mental - and then began to rely on it? Who are we to say we wouldn't have done the same.

As for asking did Michael let us down? Michael owed us nothing, but gave us everything he could. Let's thank him for that.

If still in doubt, read the following from "Will you be there?"

"But They Told Me
A Man Should Be Faithful
And Walk When Not Able
And Fight Till The End
But I'm Only Human"

Micheal may have been "only human" but, in my view, he was one of the finest ever to walk amongst us.

Very well said and so true. He didn't let anyone down 'if' he was addicted to drugs. Being a star all your life, including childhood. Abuse when younger. Pepsi accident. Loneliness. Perfectionist. Physically demanding tours. Media attention. People accusing you of nasty evil things when all you've done is be nice and good and giving. Paps following you everywhere. Unable to lead a normal life and go out and about. Vitiligo. Lupus problems. Gee folks, all of that is too much - just a few of those things would drive most people crazy. I think he was much stronger than people make out, drugs or no drugs. He put up with LOTS! bless him

I know nothings been confirmed just yet, but we can still speculate.
Well, if we are just speculating, there's no way that I find that MJ let me down with anything. This man was human just like everyone else, but unlike many people, he has had to deal with a lot of things that most people don't have to go thru and all of the money in the world doesn't make it better or compensate for it. Whatever problems he had were his problems and his pain. I feel badly for his sadness but it is in no way a reflection upon how I feel about him as an artist and as a person.

VERY glad to see this thread reopened. I didn't understand why it was locked in the first place, it was a perfectly valid question.

I can see how some people might feel let down because Michael has always been anti-drug.

I just feel bad for Michael himself and everything he's going to miss in the coming years.

do i feel let down with his drug addiction if its confirmed he did have one and died from drugs? no, and heres why. michael was human, like all of us are. he wasnt perfect. none of us are. he lived a life full of highs and lows. the highs were extreme. so were the lows. and the press made so many bad jokes about him while he was alive. can you imagine how much that must have hurt? by all accounts mj was a very shy private person who was awkward around people. there were essentially two michaels. one the private person and two the performer. so no i dont feel let down. if anything it shows he was despite the superstar tag very human.

NO.

With the life he had, I completely understand. I'm suprised he didn't do worse.

Nah, I do not feel the slightest let down by him, if he did take the drugs it was because he needed them and got caught up in the addiction...

No. somehow...i feel the other way round, i am the one who let him down. being selfish,wanting to see him a lot while its hard for him(being mobbed,etc),wanting him to always come up with new album,wanting him to be on tour because i never get a chance to see him....

i also thinking about something and its a sin....its, God or whoever took him from us...He or he is the one who let me down...for not give me even only one chance to see Michael or even worse for not heal Michael's pain...so many bad people out there are criminals, gamblers, etc they all got chances to heal and live a better life. why Michael didnt?Michael is a good person...verrrryy good

maybe its true that there is a statement that God will take good person first

Even if we knew the truth and if things were laid down as fact, i still think that certain fans wouldn't want to accept it and would still choose to see him in the way that they choose to.

I wouldn't have posed the question as 'Did MJ let us down...'.

I would have asked members how they would react if it turns out to be really true.

That Michael Jackson was dealing with a serious prescription drug addiction that may have included the use of a drug that should never be used outside of a hospital.

One thing we do know now is that the DEA and the Food and Drug Administration is moving to make Profocol a controlled substance. Why would they be doing this now if it didn't have anything to do with what happened to Michael?

As I stated before, I will never say that MJ let me down. If anyone, he let himself down because he didn't believe in himself and he didn't know how much he was loved. Yes he understood somethings, but it is a case of him not being loved enough, because he didn't love himself.

And in that way, MJ is really no different than others who have struggled with addictions.

No MJ did not let us down. Think back to when he was a kid, what the world's expectations were for him to acheive in life? I'd say he surpassed everybody's expectations and that is the opposite of a let down when you put it all in historical context.

Regardless of what any final report might say.....

Michael Jackson will have never let me down!

Everybody in the media is now talking about 'humanizing him'....well he's always been a human being for me and with that comes frailties and insecurities. I truly can't get upon my high horse and start knocking him for being just human.

No I don't feel let down by him at all. Who are we to feel let down?

Here here.

If, and I mean 'if', Michael had an addition then he had an addiction. So what? We are not him and have not been through what he has been through so cannot say what any of us might do if we actually were him. It is easy to say that you would not take drugs or drink to cope with something but I can tell you that you honestly do not know until you are in the trenches of a situation what you will do.

If he did indeeed take drugs as one way to cope with the incredible stress of his life, then so be it. He has not let me down in any way and I think no less of him.

No. Not one bit. He's still him. Childlike, loving and caring.

I don't feel let down at all. I have no idea how he was able to even stand up and smile again after the utter HELL he had to go through from 1993 onwards.
To be totally honest, if there's anything that annoys me, it's that he had so many bastards around him. I don't know how much of it was within Michael's power or how much he allowed...but I'm aware that it's pretty much impossible to tell who's got his best interests at heart or not.
Basically, I'm heartbroken and disappointed FOR Michael that the liars and people with dollar signs in their eyes ultimately ended up 'getting' him.

I think its very easy to be angry when we are grieving. We can shout "how could you?!!" at the sky over and over but it will never achieve anything. Michael didn't let anyone down. I agree with other people on here that the world let him down. What he went through...there are no words for what he had to endure. Michael once said that if there were no more children in this world "I'm done" because he thought children were of innocence, didn't judge or discriminate, it was him being let down by children that did it....that hurt him to the core. So no I don't feel let down, I just feel his pain and wish that his life could have been happier, he could never trust anyone because of greed, lies and abuse he had to suffer.

No. I don't blame him for whatever means his trying just to get rest. I don't blame him at all! It didn't let me down...with all those things he's gone through, I actually admired him for fighting it and surviving it for 50 years.

Michael already gave us everything! Anything else we got would have just been a treat. He didnt owe us anything.

^^^

Well said. Personally, I don't feel let down by him at all. He was human like anyone else with strenghts and weaknesses. He was someone who had a lot of pressure and stress to deal with. I'm not excusing anyone using drugs, but I don't feel let down by him. No one here knew what it was like to be him or be in his shoes. To be burned like he was while shooting that commercial which I believe left him in a lot of pain physically, years of mental and physical abuse and the worst one was people making vile accusations against him. I think Michael was in a lot of pain both mentally and physically. More than anyone here will ever know. I refuse to judge him for that. I don't even know how he dealt with all of it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this :yes:

Back