Did Michael let us down with his drug addiction?

He owed himself a good and real rest. I'm angry/frustrated/pissed off that after everything he has done in life, he didn't get to retire in peace. I'm blaming it on everything, the world, the bastards around him...

Michael was without a doubt a genious when it came to entertaining. He was the creme de la creme. He is untouchable, an inspiration to so many. How can that be a let-down? He had his heart ripped into tiny pieces, and then picked them all up and gave them to his loved ones and his fans rather than keeping it all for himself. I never got to see him perform - am sad about that, but he hasn't disappointed me in the slightest. We have wonderful memories of him, whether personal or impersonal, and his music and performances are widely available for all to enjoy. Michael did what he was born to do, and when it was his time he was taken from us and is now at peace.

Last edited:
If Michael was a drug addict, then it is not our business to judge him based on that. To even ask the question "did he let us down" is very rude and judgemental.

First, if you have never had an addiction yourself, you don't have an opinion about the matter.

Secondly, to treat people as outcasts or abnormal because they have an addiction is wrong.

Thirdly, none of you knew Michael personally, so what he was or was not is not your concern. You don't know what he took or why, all you know is that he had pain.

If you don't have a degree in psychology, medicine or have never been an addict, you are incapable of understanding what it means to be addicted. Secondly, be very careful of giving someone the label of a drug addict. Michael did not take drugs to get high, he took drugs to deal with pain. Again, if you have not suffered from pain over several years, you don't have an opinion on the matter. There is a difference between taking drugs to get high and taking drugs to deal with pain, but they can both lead to an addiction.

Just be very very careful on how you go about talking about this, because you may meet people who have been addicts and who knows what this means. If you say you feel Michael let you down because he took drugs, such people will loose respect for you.

Keep the drug addict innuendo to yourself people. Ask the questions, but don't presume to know what it is.

Sorry, but this thread pisses me off!

Regards from someone who knows the mind of an addict, AND who knows the danger of prescribed medicine.

If Michael was addicted, he didn't let anyone down. The people around him who allowed this to continue let Michael down.

We don't have the right to judge Michael in this matter

Last edited:
If he was addicted to drugs I still think no, he didn't let us down at all.

There was not one time that I counted with him and he didn't appear.
More the opposite was the case. He was more often there for me than I would have ever counted with him! ;)

I have suspected for MANY years that Michael had a drug addiction with painmedication.. This does not come as a surprise to me.... He's been slurring words so many times on interviews and what not..

Can i just say if michael did have an drugs problem, then no he wouldnt of let me down it just shows he is human,i had a very bad drug problem when i was 16ish,even though it wasnt prescription drugs i still know wat it feels like to have addiction,thay r in me i get addicted very easily,i dont think anyone should feel let down because no one know how michael felt and wat he was going though if it is all true,its is a very hard thing to go though and no matter what comes out i will always love michael and he could never let me down,i wld turn it around and say sorry as a fan i let u down but that is how i feel in myself but never ever will that be the case to how i feel about michael,he is my heart and people do have problems at the end of the day we are only human be it how famous u r,god my heart is so broken :-( xxx

Last edited:
He hasnt let us down he was only human, any other person that had to deal with what he dealt with would have cracked up by now. So what if he needed medication to ease the pain and help him sleep, he didnt do anything different to anyone else and untill the autopsy report is announced i refuse to believe any of the speculation flying around. Media made his life a living hell when he was alive and they are doing the same now he's gone, it makes me sick.
Ive been a fan since i was 6 yrs old and i am now 34 i remember reading the book Moonwalk when i was 13 (about 3 times) read it again recently theres a section in there where he says 'the way elvis destroyed himself interests me, because i dont ever want to walk those grounds myself' I really dont believe he would knowingly or purposely desrtoy himself the way the media are making out. I really hope 1 day all the mud that stuck to his name is finally washed clean and the world sees him for the beautiful angel he was- the truth.

I just pray he is in a better place than he was here on earth and is painfree at last.

My philosophy is "It is what it is". Who are we to judge or second guess his human-ness? Granted the MJ I initially began to idolize in the early 1980s was anti-drugs and anti-alcohol. But even if he had fallen victim to these substances later in life, his persona still stood by his convictions of the past. He NEVER encouraged fans to be bad or abusers. His message was always good and clearly for the betterment of all things. Also, I guess being presciption drugs that were originally used for serious and real issues makes it more understandable as even they are inevitably addictive. Plus the fact we don't know how much this addiction was at the force of his handlers enabling him so that he could be more submissive and controlled. Not to mention, he probably allowed it to numb him from the added emotional pains the world placed on his shoulders the past 20 years. So no... that's my answer... "no, he didn't let me down. I feel we as people let him down".

Michael, you didn't let us down baby, I love you unconditionally! People who call you a drug addict should better look at themselves!

First off, addition and times of it have not been established. Taking prescribed painkillers if needed does not constitute abuse. In that case, though, it would have been difficult for Michael and very easy to go down the addiction road since he had, by his own admission, had a problem in the past. There is no way to know when and how he battled this in recent years, at this point.

As to whether he let us down if it was so? I can say for myself that he did not let me down and I would not be let down regardless of what findings reveal. Nothing will ever lessen my love and respect for Michael. I did not live his life, I did not have his physical problems, and I did not have his life stresses. Therefore, it is not for me to pass judgment. If it does prove true, then I would only regret that he was not able to reach out for the help and support he needed for whatever reason.

the world let mj down. and im out of here cause i find this thread as disrespectful as hell

Michael could never let me down. He didn't owe me anything. If anything, I owe him so much.

He was only human. Many seem to forget that but he went through so much in his life. I don't need to go through it all because you all know his story. How much can a person take? He held on for so long. I admire him for that. None of us could have dealt with his life the way he did. He fought so viciously and for that he is my inspiration.

Last edited:
I believe its Michael Jackson Fans (those that do) that are NOW letting him down in even entertaining the thought that he had ANY type of Drug Problem in 2009, after the Hell he went through in surviving 2 Child Molestation Cases, being rob by Accountants, Managers and Lawyers with lawsuit after lawsuit, all kinds of name calling from the Media and being obtrasize in his own Country this didnt make Michael worse it made him better a better Man to leave that Life behind him of Entertaining and Just be the World Greatest Daddy. Michael I am so glad you can see everybody's heart now, I know you where not doing or abusing Drugs on June 25, 2009 and one day you will let everybody know.

IF it turns out he was addicted to drugs (which hasn't been proven anywhere yet) then no. Never. I could NEVER feel let down. He was human being with flaws, just like any of us, and found this world to be cruel to him, cruel, hateful and unforgiving when all he ever wanted was to do good and BE good. The more I learn every day about MJ the more I KNOW that I would never and WILL never feel "let down" by him. He dealt with so many things in his life, and spent much of that time feeling alone, isolated and misunderstood.

Anyone who feels let down should just hang it up now, and never pull out any MJ music ever again.. how could you feel let down by the man who gave us the most incredible music ever? U don't deserve to listen to it... that's how I feel.

He could never let me down..

I am let down by the creeps around him and heartbroken that no one was able to stop them, even though they tried their best.

Some Michael Jackson fans need to grow up. Forget you and "your" pain and disappointment for a minute. How about three kids who have no father? The guy wasn't perfect but no fan should be questioning whether he let them down.

I care less about what he was addicted to and more about what caused him to be addicted in the first place. Hurt for that. Hurt for his kids' loss. The world robbed him of any peace he ever sought.

no way michael never let me down i have never felt that if anything i have let him down :cry:
I have always remembered Mike was human, just a very special human

mj was human he had his faults just like everybody else. we didn't live his life and didn't experience the pain he went through. he wasn't some cokehead or weed smoker we're talking about pain pills. if took them so what he had a lot of pain. more than most of us will ever know but it's over now. he been given something no award or #1 song can compare to peace.

btw, he's never let me down he only raised me up and still does.

Name me one long-term successful performer - musician or actor - who has never had a problem with drugs (be it prescription or illegal) and don't forget that the vast majority of them manage well to keep it hidden forever. Literally. Many people you look at on your tv screen are abusing some kind of drug, or have come back from it. My boyfriend is a director (not necessarily big-time, though, mind you) and he has yet to meet a successful actor who isn't on drugs. It's ugly but it's true. It's almost unbelievable, but much more believable than the often made-up tabloid stories.

Michael didn't let anyone down. He did the best he could, he always did, because that's the kind of person he was. And once you're on something, it's difficult to look at yourself and realize what you are doing. Many of these high-profile people survive drug addiction. They rarely beat it on their own - they are always pushed by family/friends or simply refused or forced by the medical world. I'm not saying drug abuse is generally a tolerable thing, I'm saying it didn't have to end this way. Michael could have lived and he could have gotten off the drugs and he would have "just" been "another recovery story". Whoever supplied the drugs, knew what was happening - they had medical knowledge. They knew his doses could become fatal. I don't care how much the doctor was paid. People couldn't pay me millions to hurt anyone knowingly.

So was it all the doctor's fault? No. Michael was the addict, of course. But we're all addicts, to one thing or another - just not all addictions are dangerous or fatal. Michael's life was larger and more tragic in almost every aspect - I can't blame him for his addiction being more tragic, too. Because it was clearly an addiction. Rationally, he would never take such a risk. He was so much smarter than that.

i would never blame michael. if its proven that he died from drugs then i still wont change my mind. there are millions of people in the world who have addictions to drugs. they need compassion and understanding not harsh judgment.

He didnt let me down , He was in so much pain emotionally and physically,he really was in pain.I just wish we knew about his diseas,his pain and drugs before his death and we helped him.He never used drug to be high,he couldnt bear that much pain. I love him as much as before and may be more,but I blame the doctors and people around him.They didnt want his best interest in their hearts.:(Shame on them

Last edited:
He could never let me down, nor today or tomorrow or even after the final results come out, may they come as they are.
He fought too much in this life, he was too strong, yet too fragile and sensitive.
A man like that could never ever let me down.

You know what? IF this turns out to be the case.... not in a million years. I've known so many really good people with really awful problems and that doesn't make them a bad person. It just means they've been through hard times and had problems. Just like everyone. I'm proud of him - for doing the best he could to survive.

There is no way the MJ let us down and to the best of my knowlege he has never let anyone down in his life.

On the contrary, it is he who was let down badly by many people who he cared for in his life. By professional in his team who in persuit of money pushed him to the limits, and by doctors who fed him dangerous medicative drugs possible because they couldn't face saying 'no' to him.

The pressure on him to perform 50 shows was obviously emormous, no matter how happy he was to do them. He was doing whatever he could so the he didn't let us, his fans, down. Sadly that caused him physically pain and exhaustion and lead to his craving dangerous medication to alleiviate symptoms. Unfortunatley he had a live in doctor who didn't really know how to handle the situation.

This is how I see it. MJ would never have let us down in any way.

Some Michael Jackson fans need to grow up. Forget you and "your" pain and disappointment for a minute. How about three kids who have no father? The guy wasn't perfect but no fan should be questioning whether he let them down.

I care less about what he was addicted to and more about what caused him to be addicted in the first place. Hurt for that. Hurt for his kids' loss. The world robbed him of any peace he ever sought.

yeah to some fans it's like it's all about them isn't it?
a similar feeling of "hurt and disappointment" was when they were complaining he wasn't doing enough rehearsals for the concerts...how dare he disappoint again by losing his life? he died working his ass off

my hope is that if its proven michael did die from drug overdose that people dont turn the sadness and grief they are feeling into anger at michael. he doesnt deserve that.

No I don't feel MJ let us down at all and why would it? He's human above and beyond anything else. He suffered a great deal with that burn during Pepsi, and although a certain person states that this wasn't the start of his road to pills...it was much more. That being said..we don't know the extent of MJ's pain and what he had to deal with in life psychologically and physically. We as fans only saw his entertainment phase.

No MJ didn't let us down, if anything, the world let him down by the way they treated him and shunned him. That alone would push anyone over the brink.

I dont think this right at all. I think you would find his fans do remember all the time he is human. It those who believe the shit about him, and who write stuff that forget his human?

Kudos to you....well written. :)

Back