Did Michael make a fashion statement?

Re: Did Michael sometimes crossdress?

WTF? I just asked. But why do I bother talking to you. Leave me alone.

Respect did nothing but point out what a ridiculous image you posted, considering it was a picture of a white woman with a womans figure.

This thread seriously has to go.

WTF? I just asked. But why do I bother talking to you. Leave me alone.

Leave me alone? LOL. When you choose to post on a public forum you will have to expect that people may reply.

This same photo was used by that tabloid journalist Ian Halperin to "prove" MJ was a cross-dresser. This was when he wrote nonsense in his book about MJ visiting gay bars dressed as a woman and he said he would offer proof later in the form of photos. This is his modus operandi, BTW, to promise photos "later" about which then of course everyone forgets and no one will ask him for the proof any more. This time it wasn't so however and people kept asking for the "proof" on his blog and at the end he provided this as a "proof". Too bad for him that then people pointed out to him that it wasn't MJ and that since then even the tabloid that published it admitted it wasn't him. (Not that it's not clear just by looking at the pics.) LMAO.

LindavG;4139527 said:
He did not "cross-dress" in the sense that he dressed to look like a woman but if he thought something looked nice, he didn't refuse to wear it just because the label said it was meant for women either. Didn't he say he found the black glitter jacket he wore on Motown 25 in his mother's closet? Or what about that woman who said Michael admired her jeans and begged her if he could try them on?

Some other examples:

article-2234414-16021867000005DC-345_306x537.jpg
fall-2007.jpg

Balmain.jpg

3694815043_87ecdf79b2_o.jpg

In none of these images does he look (or try to look) like a woman though, which is what is traditionally understood by "cross-dressing". I know lots of women who wear men's clothes on occasion but nobody would call that cross-dressing, lol.

Girl;4139578 said:
As others have already said, I also don't believe wearing clothes designed for another gender truly qualifies as cross-dressing. Plenty of us, girls love to wear men's shirts and tees with NO intention whatsoever to appear masculine. I actually think it's one of the most feminine things one can do :p I also don't believe it was Michael intention to do any real gender bending with his choices of clothes either. Thank goodness he stuck to the clothes only, can you imagine what it would have been like if he had actually pretended to be a woman? lol

The pictures posted demonstrate his more or less sudden interest in female fashion back in 2008/09, but during the same period I've noticed a truly disturbing (let us call it) trend in which he would wear skulls and stuff. As far back as Halloween 2008 if I'm not mistaken up till that ugly, white t-shirt in early June 2009. They kind of have a strange and prophetic feel about them in the context of what took place on June 25th.

On a lighter note now - I actually have somewhere on my computer a funny picture which could fit rather well in the context of this whole convo about genders wearing all kinds of items, but I'm afraid it is a bit to spicy for now. I guess I'll have to dig it up at some later point in time........

It´s Rushka Bergman who introduced him and dressed him in those clothes back in 2008/09 and he liked it obviously.

I think it's fairly apparent that Michaels style was whatever he felt looked cool/different.. I think he had an idea of what cool looked like and he wasn't afraid to go for it... I'd say he got it... most of the time lol

On another note, these are good albums though aren't they?

That's the Balmain collection you're talking about, and I don't think he had any kind of sudden interest in female fashion with that. A LOT of fashion critics were comparing that whole collection back then to Michael's military look. THIS season, they did it again, even more extravagantly, and THIS time they did say they were copying the Michael Jackson look. (both women and men's clothing)

I work for H&M France & Switzerland and when we had the Balmain collection a few months ago everyone just referred to the jackets as "the Michael Jackson jackets" lol. I wasn't really familiar with the Balmain brand before but it really struck me how much it looked like Michael's style. And we had women ordering from the men's collection and men ordering from the women's collection because a lot of items are essentially unisex.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, try to keep it nice towards one another and please stay on topic.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, try to keep it nice towards one another and please stay on topic.

To be fair, the topic is an absolute joke. Surprised it hasn't been closed.

when I was little after taking a bath I used to put on a big shirt and have whity tighties on under and go to bed wearing that... a lot of women wear that...

So was I cross dresser? cuz I might have to question my sexuality if so...

when I was little after taking a bath I used to put on a big shirt and have whity tighties on under and go to bed wearing that... a lot of women wear that...

So was I cross dresser? cuz I might have to question my sexuality if so...

You were rebelling against patriarchal social constructs and defying gender stereotypes from an early age. There's no shame in that you know. You don't have to question your sexuality just yet... unless you were a little too affectionate with friends of the same gender in kindergarten :ph34r:

He did not "cross-dress" in the sense that he dressed to look like a woman but if he thought something looked nice, he didn't refuse to wear it just because the label said it was meant for women either. Didn't he say he found the black glitter jacket he wore on Motown 25 in his mother's closet? Or what about that woman who said Michael admired her jeans and begged her if he could try them on?

Some other examples:

article-2234414-16021867000005DC-345_306x537.jpg
fall-2007.jpg

Balmain.jpg

3694815043_87ecdf79b2_o.jpg

In none of these images does he look (or try to look) like a woman though, which is what is traditionally understood by "cross-dressing". I know lots of women who wear men's clothes on occasion but nobody would call that cross-dressing, lol.

Michael wore it better

I work for H&M France & Switzerland and when we had the Balmain collection a few months ago everyone just referred to the jackets as "the Michael Jackson jackets" lol. I wasn't really familiar with the Balmain brand before but it really struck me how much it looked like Michael's style. And we had women ordering from the men's collection and men ordering from the women's collection because a lot of items are essentially unisex.
I know it's silly but I got a real smug satisfaction over the hoopla and raves on these collections. After years of ridicule over the 'Captain Crunch' look, people were drooling over these sparkly military Michael Jackson jackets.

I really don't think he crossdressed, more likely wearing a disguise like how Bugs Bunny does all the time.

just to clarify I was very much joking about what I said.... I'm not sure if that was clear after reading at least one response!

Firstly, we are talking about jackets and shirts here. Neither of these are strictly attributed to either gender. I've never heard of MJ hiding a bra underneath his clothes or prancing around in a miniskirt.

Then there are photos of MJ in a burqa or something, but throughout the years, he was quite known for his ridiculous disguises. Viewed in that context, it’s hardly cross dressing.

Also, many articles of clothing that he wore were picked out by his stylist.

If the OP herself is a crossdresser as she claimed, she’s either projecting or trolling.

^ I start to think OP is a troll. First post on the board and then she/he did not even participate in the discussion she/he had started, so it does not seem like a genuine interest in the topic to me. Suspect of trolling IMO.

^ I start to think OP is a troll. First post on the board and then she/he did not even participate in the discussion she/he had started, so it does not seem like a genuine interest in the topic to me. Suspect of trolling IMO.
Did a pretty good job. :). Fun to look at all the clothes tho, and surprising to read some very different opinions on cross dressing.

MidnightMoonwalk;4139921 said:
If the OP herself is a crossdresser as she claimed, she’s either projecting or trolling.
when did he/she say that they're a cross dresser?

respect77;4139922 said:
either that, or we scared him/her away :eek:hno:

LOL, I'm not Sabonoa nor do I have an idea who they are. The reason I was fiercely discussing here was that many people here have never had a single gender studies 101 and had no idea what cross-dressing was or how it related (if at all) to gender and sexuality. If anything, I'd like to congratulate OP for attracting a large number of viewers and making us hate each other.

I haven't been here too long, but from what I've seen so far, it seems that pretty much any topic on gender or sexuality ends this way.

No one even suggested that, and I think that everyone here is quite open with regards to sexuality and gender studies. It's obviously a very sensitive and important topic for you but some of your comments come across a lot stronger than others, almost to the point where you seem unnecessarily hostile.

As I said a few comments ago, a lot of people disagreed with your belief of the word "crossdressing". Just because we don't crossdress doesnt mean we cant have a civilised conversation about it, as RIDICULOUS as the topic originally was. (Michael being a crossdresser, not crossdressers in general)

And since you are calling out the community here, you are actually the one who stated that you refused to be told by "straight and binary people" how to speak, just because you are gay does not mean that heterosexual people cant be offended by a derogatory term.

The community here are very open to EVERYONE, but a hostile attitude is not exactly the easiest to be welcoming to.

Didn't you read MidnightMoonwalk's post? "If the OP herself is a crossdresser as she claimed /.../" And as far as I know, I've been the only person to come out as a cross-dressing woman, so... :mello:
OP means original poster=the person who started a thread

.. by reading some of our messages.. I think a lot of us are just board lol

No one even suggested that, and I think that everyone here is quite open with regards to sexuality and gender studies. It's obviously a very sensitive and important topic for you but some of your comments come across a lot stronger than others, almost to the point where you seem unnecessarily hostile.

As I said a few comments ago, a lot of people disagreed with your belief of the word "crossdressing". Just because we don't crossdress doesnt mean we cant have a civilised conversation about it, as RIDICULOUS as the topic originally was. (Michael being a crossdresser, not crossdressers in general)

And since you are calling out the community here, you are actually the one who stated that you refused to be told by "straight and binary people" how to speak, just because you are gay does not mean that heterosexual people cant be offended by a derogatory term.

The community here are very open to EVERYONE, but a hostile attitude is not exactly the easiest to be welcoming to.

Again, you only seem to be taking my comment out of context, ignoring what was said in the thread just beforehand.

And just like I don't run around telling black people whether I find the n-word offensive, I don't see a reason why straight or binary people should do the same to me with the q-word, if you please. However, this discussion doesn't belong to this thread, so I'll stop it just here.

(Oh my Allah, why am I protecting cishet feelings again?)

LOL, I'm not Sabonoa nor do I have an idea who they are. The reason I was fiercely discussing here was that many people here have never had a single gender studies 101 and had no idea what cross-dressing was or how it related (if at all) to gender and sexuality. If anything, I'd like to congratulate OP for attracting a large number of viewers and making us hate each other.

I haven't been here too long, but from what I've seen so far, it seems that pretty much any topic on gender or sexuality ends this way.
And maybe that is for the best. From what I have seen of gender studies it is a massively flawed field, basically an ideology presented as a scientific discipline. A pity, because the topic itself is worthy of decent scientific study.

Didn't you read MidnightMoonwalk's post? "If the OP herself is a crossdresser as she claimed /.../" And as far as I know, I've been the only person to come out as a cross-dressing woman, so... :mello:
You are the only one who claims to be a cross dresser but you have a very narrow view of what a cross dresser is. With your definitions in these posts, we are all cross dressers. And most of us don't agree.

Like the word queer. Ok that it's appropriated by the community I guess, but I still have a hostile reaction to it. Like the n-word. I have just a hostile reaction to it by a black person as white. It doesn't make the word and the way it was used less ugly and bring back atrocious memories.

And maybe that is for the best. From what I have seen of gender studies it is a massively flawed field, basically an ideology presented as a scientific discipline. A pity, because the topic itself is worthy of decent scientific study.

Gender studies are just studies, not a science (no experiments, observations or hypotheses - OK, maybe if we talk about sociology of gender, but I don't know whether it still falls into GS). Just like art history or cultural studies. :geek:

You are actively trying to single yourself out at this point saying things like that. Again.

This is what you, cishet people do to us anyway, regardless of how we talk to you. I don't see a reason to talk in a different way - either way, I'll lose. In fact, I'm actually doing my best to make it comprehensible to you.

Back