Do You Like Morphine?

Do You Like Morphine

• Total voters
Personally I find the song 'Morphine' distressing. NOT in Michael's music or voice, that is always perfect. Also, I think it was a brave move on his behalf to come out with this song.

I think the reason I find it distressing is, when I have surgery, and I have a lot, when I come around I am always hooked up to the stuff and then have hallucinations for a couple of weeks to deal with!! It's just my personal feelings, no offence meant. With art, what we see and feel is individual, just as it should be.

Yes!! It's such a different song from the rest of his catalog. I love the contrast between the hard hitting, aggressive verses and chorus and the plaintive, desperate bridge. It gives me chills

Always liked the song but once I came across the "Birchey's - Joseph Merrick remix" about 8-10 years ago, I fell in love with it. I replaced the ablum version with the remix on my personal album.Have'nt bothered to listen to the original since.

I think it's a great song, but after his passing it has taken on a new meaning. Incredibly bold to sing about that - art is certainly an expression.
I do like it though.

One of my favourites. Hard hitting and honest about his life and his addiction. He says alot in Morphine.

Love the industrial sound. The song is brilliant in revealing the inner struggles of Michael.

Yikes, I didn't expect to be in the minority of people who don't like it. :shutup:

I love the song so much but it breaks my heart at the same time.

Personally in my opinion one of his best songs throughout his entire career. It's very personal and hit hards as I myself I've had previous battles with drug addiction and depression during adolescence and early adulthood.

Really love the song but really hate the mixing/production. It sounds flat as a pancake when it feels like it should have some impact.

Personally in my opinion one of his best songs throughout his entire career. It's very personal and hit hards as I myself I've had previous battles with drug addiction and depression during adolescence and early adulthood.

MJ was going though it too. but not bad drugs though. drugs for pain he was having. :(

I love Morphine! It has a raw edge that makes you want to rock, but then a beautiful interlude-like section. Besides the music, the lyrics are incredible! Again, very raw and edgy in my opinion. Morphine is my go to song to blast in the car!

It’s a great, underrated song, although I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy it properly. I can definitely see how some would find it distressing and difficult to listen to. I would also say it’s one of his most personal, prophetic songs, right up there with “Stranger In Moscow” as far as emotional intensity.

The drug or the song?

Because, not talking of abusing it*, I think that the medical drug is fantastic... I got medical surgery twice so far, and each time I felt like Superman when I got out of the hospital. It's the day after that the effect goes off and that you realise what your body has actually gone through. I was told it's morphine, but I could be mistaking with other medical stuff.
(* I repeat, I'm NOT recommending non-medical use of such a product.)

Regarding the song, I happened to listen to it yesterday. Yeah, it's a masterpiece. But I skipped the end because I had limited time and I thins "Is it scary" is an even greater masterpiece.

LOL @ at the title of this thread.

I take it twice a day. It's much better than demerol. *just kidding*

Seriously, Morphine is a great song. I'm glad it didn't make the history album, cause it would have been most likely edited down in order to fit on cd.

Btw, Morphine along with Is It Scary and Money are true masterpieces off the history recording sessions. ("In the Back" is another masterpiece, if only Michael had finished ITB for the Blood album)

Back