Do You Like Morphine?

Do You Like Morphine

• Total voters

Antwort

Proud Member
^^^Interesting question there at the end Hess, very interesting. It is sad to think that no one responded in time. Who knows how many and great things could have happened if someone came in time.......

The mainstream media always refers to Michael's '80s output as the primordial reason why he's the greatest pop star of all time. Rightfully so but, as much as I adore said material, all that showed was that he was skilled with making great pop music.

However - and this is a point I will push forever - the '90s is when Michael proved himself as an all-around ARTIST, a title very few people are graced with. Anybody can be adept at making a certain genre, but it takes talent (not only by the singer themselves but also by the people they surround themselves with) to not only open themselves up to experimentation and exploration of other mediums, but also to pull it off.

Will You Be There
They Don't Care About Us
Stranger in Moscow
Earth Song
Childhood
Little Susie
Morphine
Is It Scary

These are not your average pop songs. These are artistic explorations and aesthetic triumphs. Michael's versatility, both vocally and musically, is something every musician on the face of the planet should be envious of.

Very, very true. The songs you listed truly showcase Michael's genius, his brilliant intellect and his loving and caring heart. He was so much more than just a sing & dance man and far more than just a gorgeous face with curls. Otherwise, he couldn't have captured my attention for 24 long years :p Let's put it this way - if Beat it, OTW and Bad were the only type of songs to his name then I wouldn't be here right now. Heavens, I wouldn't have been around in 1993. But since he also happened to write all them marvels you put and also Heal the world and another dozen of similar masterpiece, I guess I'm still around. Neither the Thriller sales, nor the fact that he could moonwalk were ever terribly impressive to me, but the fact that he could write such brilliant tunes was beyond inspiring. Where I come from people need to have not just a lovely exterior, but amazing minds and generous souls as well and one Mr. Jackson certainly had plenty of those and then some.......

Last edited:

wonderouzdj2

"Ya dogs a bitchh baby. Ya make me sick baby!" So was he just calling her pet what it technically was or what?

KOPV

Proud Member
I've never taken morphine! so IDK if I like it.... worth picking up?

jackson fan

Proud Member
Morphine is easily one my favourite MJ song. I don't think I need to anything more that as been already said. Honestly, the HIStory/BOTDF eras were the best one in terms of his artistic works and Morphine is one of the best examples to what Michael could truly do. Definitively, a genius at his best.

morinen

Proud Member
I'm not very fond of Morphine musically - I'm not into that type of music. But I find it very interesting and significant in the context of both Michael's life and his artistic expression. It definitely is one of the pieces that most vividly show his versatility and ability to create and perform in different styles when he wished to do so.

And it's a great introspective work. It was the only time Michael himself publically addressed his drug problem - artistically, of course, and to some degree symbolically, but nevertheless, it is his perspective on the issue. Not his family's, not his friends', not his handlers' or doctors'. And it's very honest and revealing. (While Michael's issues with sedatives were known for a long time, it wasn't until the AEG trial and Debbie's testimony that I realized the full context of lyrics He tried / Hard to convince her / To give him more of what he had / Today he wants it twice as bad and just how autobiographical it was.)
Witten in the mid 90-s, when Michael was far from the end of this road, the song already tells it all - his reasons, his attitude to the addiction, and even the effect of the drug, which is brilliantly conveyed musically.

I find the lyrics very interesting (and I wish we had the exact correct lyrics, because all online versions seem to be partially wrong). Who do you think Michael addresses in the song as "baby," "daddy"? Who is "he" and who is "you"? I understand it as a dialog with himself. All these personas in the song are sides of him. It's an internal struggle of an addict, a person controlled by the drug, with his alter ego angered and disgusted by this weakness and addiction. The sharp, hard verses are accusations he throws at himself, and the address in second/third person symbolizes his repulsion ("A hot fix, honey/ He dug the ditch, baby/ You make me sick, baby/ So unbeloved!"). He bitterly voices his own excuses - that his life is hard, he has to deal with slander ("You got place, baby/ Kicked in the face, baby/ You hate your race, baby/ You're not the liar!") But these excuses have no weight in his own eyes. The thought that he needs drugs to function and move forward is sickening ("You make me sick, baby/ You talk survival!") He understands that he doesn't meet the high standard fans expect of him ("You're called a Saint, baby /You're so beloved!") He is angry with the drug, angry with the situation he is in, angry with himself, and seems ready to repudiate himself, but... the chorus arrives along with a savior doctor who cannot be resisted... The chorus and bridge are melodic, soothing, convincing ("Trust in me, put all your trust in me", "Relax, it won't hurt you..."). The verse changed to chorus, then another verse, and a chorus again - the protagonist argues and struggles with himself, but the problem remains unresolved in the end ("You just sit around/ Just talking about it/ You're taking Morphine!")

it's brilliant.

Sagittarius74

Proud Member
I love this song! I think it is a very haunting and hard hitting song. He is singing about how addictive the drug is. I think that he was somewhat singing about his own experience with the drug, but I'm not so certain about that either. It is a great song and I love it.

maja

Proud Member
I like the discrepancy between the hard verses and the soft and seductive 'relax, this won't hurt you..' part. I think this transition is beautifully done in the song.
You can feel the danger that comes with the (misuse of the) drug. Michael really was an artist. A very underrated song.

IMWhizzle

Proud Member
Definitely yes! I've listened to it today and it's amazing. Great piece of work. Super production and man... His voice, out of this world. Deserved a place in history for sure. Maybe even invincible in a reworked version.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Nite Line

Proud Member
Morphine is a masterpiece in every form. Easily my top 10 favourite MJ songs of all time. Hopefully some day it will get the much needed recognition that it deserves. Michael was at his creative peak in 90s despite what the critics say.

Hess

Proud Member
Just listened to it again. A true masterpiece.

The slow bridges, the tempo changes, the song is dark and mysterious.

I really like the song a lot.