Exclusive: Director Kenny Ortega Says Expect 2 to 3 Hours of Additional Footage on THIS IS IT DVD/Bl

Exclusive: Director Kenny Ortega Says Expect 2 to 3 Hours of Additional Footage on THIS IS IT DVD/Blu-ray

A few days ago I got to speak with director Kenny Ortega for Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” as a reporter for our partner’s at Omelete. Since Ortega has spoken at great length about the project to other websites and media outlets, I tried to ask some news questions. The main thing I wanted to know was since they had shot around 100 hours of footage when documenting the rehearsals, how much additional footage could fans expect to see on the eventual DVD/Blu-ray. According to Ortega, we’re going to get between two and three hours of additional footage. He also told me it won’t be added into the movie like a director’s cut but will be part of the extras section. And for people wondering when it’ll be released, he says early next year. Watch the full interview after the jump:

Kenny Ortega
* Has he ever been to Brazil
* Did anyone help him decide what to use from the 100 hours of footage
* What will be on the DVD/Blu-ray - says early next year it will be released and there will be 2 or 3 hours of additional footage
* Says the movie will be as is and all the additional footage will be a separate section of the DVD
* What is he doing next

Video- http://www.collider.com/2009/10/31/...-additional-footage-on-this-is-it-dvdblu-ray/

oh my god another 2-3 hours of footage!! YES!! I'm excited for it :D

The horrible part in all this is that I know seeing it all again will bring me down so damn much :'(

Thanks for posting this. This is what I was hoping for.... just wish Mike was still here of course. I think it'll help to give us a more fuller idea of what Michael was going through or feeling at the time. He really did look stressed and very agitated at the time though. The smiles are present, the joky kind of sense of humour.... that Michael wasn't there. The man was stressed.
Happy that Ortega is giving us this info.

Hopefully an hour and a half isn't of the dancers and interviews. All that stuff is fine and dandy, but I really want performances and MJ producing.

However, I thought the movie would be lackluster and I was really surprised by how well it was done. They got that this was about MJ, that people cared primarily about two things: the man and the music, and that's what they focused on. Hopefully they do the same with the music. I would also like to see the Smooth Criminal Dome Project edited into its own music video, mixing the video with the performances of Smooth Criminal.

Put 10 hours - I don't care!!

Imma sit there and watch my Michael over and over and over again. :wub:

In an interview posted by in the News section, Kenny said that there is going to be 3-4 hours of additional footage! He said it should give us a more well-rounded and clearer vision of the concerts and that they will include stuff that happened after Michael's passing, like stuff and interviews with the cast and crew after Michael died.

Brilliant. I doubt all these 100+ hours are all Michael. He wasn't there at every single rehearsal. He didn't need to be. Some is probably just boring stuff like band rehearsals and warming up and lighting tests etc. There can be a lot of sitting around doing nothing waiting for things to be finished at rehearsals. Most of these 100 hours are probably not even vaguely interesting or watchable. I don't want it all on a dvd, just the stuff that is actually worth watching lol. 2-3 extra hours is more than I was expecting. :) Can't wait.

Thank you for sharing. :)

2 to 3 hours of extras! That’s defiantly amazing and worth waiting for… :praying

Hopefully they don't do what was done with the Lord of the Rings DVD releases. They would release a bare bones DVD and then a few months later release one with extras and later still release one with all the bells and whistles.

I wouldn't get too excited... nobody said the 2-3 extra hours was going to be footage of Michael.

i take it that post/article about what would be in the dvd/bluray release wasnt confirmed?

well there were 80 hours only to begin with so dont know what everyone here is saying. but its great knews!! we kinda expected didnt we?:p

I don't understand the logic in releasing the DVD after Christmas. It just doesn't make sense. They've had more than enough time to edit the additional footage to how they want it. The shoppers thinking, "I think he/she is an mj fan, ill get him this for an Xmas gift."
I don't get it.

Apparently there is an agreement with cinema chains that for all film releases there shall be a minimum window between a film ending its run at the cinema and being released on DVD. Sony wanted the cinema chains to make an exception with 'This Is It' but they refused. Because it was released so late in the year, Sony have no real option but to release the DVD next year or risk upsetting the cinema chains, which would be a major mistake on their part. Sony's hands are tied.

Back