Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Got to watch the new Bio doc and the Ultimate icon doc again last night. Thought both were really great.
Can't wait to see the movie again uninterrupted. I agree 100% with Ravens review.
Nothing will be as excellent as An American Dream and even that had a few problems with casting and facts. But Searching for Neverland is what I wanted-a good biopic that showed Michael and his life then in a way I had imagined, although it was heartbreaking. And I figured it would be. Actually, I think my heart has been broken since 93.
Nothing was cringey, no subtle innuendo, nothing was cheesy, and it looked expensive.
Navi did a great job-the British accent didn't bother me in the slightest. Had he been doing that high pitched squeak of a voice that everybody else does, I would have turned it off. It was sad, it was nerve wracking with the mob/fan scenes, it was funny-Michael even irritated me twice in the movie. That's when I knew I had accepted him in the part.
And speaking of irritation, if Paris asked one more time if they could go back to Neverland, I would have slapped her silly. Hearing Bobby Brown multiple times was irritating too. Lol.
Suzanne, Diane and the bodyguards should be proud.

^ There were two documentaries that fallowed the movie.. They were basically two documentaries with some similarities - made off of the same interviews with people, but some showed different parts and a couple extra this and that in each... They were both basically the MJ story, where he came from, what he became, influence he had etc.. Both good, I start to mix the two in my head but I believe one went into his death more than the other but both positive pieces of work.

The problem with a show with only 2million viewers is that it reduces the chance of somebody making it available online. Perhaps somebody will make it available when it airs in other countries. In the UK that will be June 25th.

^ It will be online for sure.. Just depends on how long it will take.. 1 week? 1 month?.. You will get the chance to see it. Sorry you have to wait a bit though, I know I'd be super annoyed too..

Actually - it may even be on the lifetime App before an online rip.. You can download the app on your computer

I first got excited when I heard "my prerogative" simply because I have always said it is one song I wish Michael sang and is very fitting for him.. I have said it for years, so I looked at my wife like.. "Seeeeeee? there's something there"

Io hear Bobby Brown over and over again not my cup of tea but i knew that all they can play because could not use any of Michael music but i did love hearing Smile that is my favor i can hear that all day.

^ It will be online for sure.. Just depends on how long it will take.. 1 week? 1 month?.. You will get the chance to see it. Sorry you have to wait a bit though, I know I'd be super annoyed too..

Actually - it may even be on the lifetime App before an online rip.. You can download the app on your computer
theres a free trial for lifetime online but I didn't see the movie listed. Maybe because I checked before the show aired.

Glad Chaplin's estate gave permission for Smile. All the more poignant.

For people waiting to watch it: you can get the movie on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Microsoft Store etc. It's only $3-5, depending on where in the world you live...

Some comments...

Miranda? @__randda
After watching the Michael Jackson movie on lifetime, it made me really upset that he went through all of that

Britt H.. @Merci_Britte
I'm having a hard time watching this Michael Jackson Biography. Lord. If you know me you know just how much I love that man!

exotic_ti-yah? @tinker_keke
Watching this Michael Jackson biography & all that stood out was the bodyguard's words "where was all these ppl when he needed them"...

Juliet Ashoff? @heyyitsjuliet
2 minutes into the Biography of Michael Jackson and I'm already balling my eyes out

Kiara Dominque? @ShesA_Man3ater
Why I'm crying watching this Michael Jackson story like I knew that man

A????? @Alystiel
My heart hurts when i think about how people treated Michael Jackson and how they took advantage of him, he did not deserve any of that

court(@pettytrades)? @LUCOZlAM
This documentary im watching makes me feel bad for Michael jackson i never deemed his as bad the media is horrible

paige? @PaigePaltann
After this lifetime segment I feel like a Michael Jackson enthusiast

DBHN_DsW0AQkgt9.jpg

I hope this film puts a little more faith into projects being worked on.. Especially when the individuals working on the project have a proven good history with Mike.. A lot of pessimism was going around prior to release.. Much I understand why! but I just hope this raises some belief that an MJ project can be worked on and it come out somewhere between decent and good.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All you could want for Christmas &#127873; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJacksonMovie?src=hash">#MichaelJacksonMovie</a> <a href="https://t.co/RgN7YzoO0l">pic.twitter.com/RgN7YzoO0l</a></p>&mdash; Lifetime (@lifetimetv) <a href="https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/869347644442726400">30. Mai 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael, the icon.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJacksonMovie?src=hash">#MichaelJacksonMovie</a> <a href="https://t.co/IKu02ED5MW">pic.twitter.com/IKu02ED5MW</a></p>&mdash; Lifetime (@lifetimetv) <a href="https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/869352683454451712">30. Mai 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael, the father. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJacksonMovie?src=hash">#MichaelJacksonMovie</a> <a href="https://t.co/oR0u0V8wIy">pic.twitter.com/oR0u0V8wIy</a></p>&mdash; Lifetime (@lifetimetv) <a href="https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/869358473187741697">30. Mai 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The man below the myth. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJacksonMovie?src=hash">#MichaelJacksonMovie</a> <a href="https://t.co/Z7zClB4nLD">pic.twitter.com/Z7zClB4nLD</a></p>&mdash; Lifetime (@lifetimetv) <a href="https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/869358953800450048">30. Mai 2017</a></blockquote>

I will have an open mind to this movie, but I can't hide the fact that I'm a bit skeptic. Iv'e seen the trailer, and so far I'm liking it :D

I really enjoyed it, Navi did a great job, the bodyguards did great portrayals. I love how this biopic humanizes Michael

I checked Google Play but it is not there. At least not from my country.

Did you check under TV shows? It's listed as episode 1 in season 1 of a tv series, rather than as a movie.
But it's very possible it's been region restricted, probably due to the music used...

Curious.. for those who have seen it - does this open your mind to a full biopic on Michael? as in more than a lifetime film? something bigger, more indepth - covering more than just the last 3 years or so of his life?

Wow Navi in the camera scene was so GOOD. Bravo to Navi. Michael broke my heart. He thought the camera was on, but it wasn't.

KOPV;4195694 said:
Curious.. for those who have seen it - does this open your mind to a full biopic on Michael? as in more than a lifetime film? something bigger, more indepth - covering more than just the last 3 years or so of his life?
My answer is no. I think it's going to take a lot more time and maybe a really great book/biography to even consider that.

Here's another review. It's pretty good and funny, so I just rolled my eyes at the diet of "propofol and KFC" joke, instead of overreacting.

Congrats, Lifetime made a Michael Jackson TV movie that was not terrible
Michael Arceneaux, The Root | 5/30/2017, 11:15 a.m. I thought the Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland movie was going to be some trash.

30TSD_MJ_movie_t750x550.jpg

I thought the Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland movie was going to be some trash. With all due respect to Lifetime, the network gave us the horrible Aaliyah biopic and the not-as-awful-but-close-enough movie about the life of Whitney Houston. I wouldn&#8217;t be surprised if either one of their ghosts were still haunting all of the executives responsible for those projects.

However, while Jackson&#8217;s spirit may not be pleased with anyone telling his story without explicit permission&#8212;much less on basic cable&#8212;this flick was surprisingly not terrible. For starters, it didn&#8217;t look cheap. More importantly, though, the film was made with a clear respect for the late King of Pop.

Much of that can be directly traced to all who are responsible for this. The film is based on the book, Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days, written by Jackson&#8217;s former bodyguards Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard. And one of the executive producers of the film is Suzanne de Passe, who worked with Jackson as a child when he was part of the Jackson 5.

The movie starts at the point in Jackson&#8217;s life when he returns to the United States after living in Bahrain. Although he has been exonerated of charges of child molestation, his public reputation is reeling, his finances are sketchy, and his friends are sketch. So, a reluctant bodyguard takes on a short-term job that turns into an overwhelming gig, taking on the biggest pop star in the world on a major decline.

Frankly, I feel bad for them. They&#8217;re not just the bodyguards. They are best friends. They are partial caregivers. They are personal assistants. They are life coaches in some instances. Their jobs seem stressful as hell. And yet, they are incredibly dedicated to Jackson and protective of his legacy.

You can tell the people behind this movie truly care about him.

The person portraying Michael Jackson is Navi. On Navi&#8217;s website, his biography declares him to be &#8220;the world&#8217;s number one Michael Jackson impersonator.&#8221; And he&#8217;s been performing as Jackson for more than 20 years. Navi nails many of his mannerisms. However, I would add that his British accent went in and out. And moreover, Jackson was a bit skinnier than Navi, but you know, a diet of propofol and KFC is too much to ask of an actor.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Navi said: &#8220;I want [everyone] to watch this film without a preconceived idea of who Michael Jackson was. Forget what the media said about him. Just watch the film, and then ask yourself one question: &#8216;How different are you?&#8217;&#8221;

Well, that&#8217;s a lot on it, but it was surprisingly refreshing to learn a few things about Jackson.

Who knew Randy Jackson was owed money by his brother and tried to storm his Las Vegas residence, and Joe Jackson, whom MJ had no real interests in seeing, got him off the property? And, by the way, shout out to Richard Lawson for playing an excellent Papa Joe. I cannot believe Miss Tina didn&#8217;t tell us on Instagram that her husband was doing this movie.

There are other tidbits, like that Michael Jackson stayed a Jehovah&#8217;s Witness. He also always brought his own spray butter and hot sauce to the movie theater. Most of all, Michael Jackson loved Bobby Brown&#8217;s &#8220;My Prerogative.&#8221; Like, he used to eat fried chicken and go off to it.

Other matters were less surprising. Say, Jackson&#8217;s being late to pay folks given that he hadn&#8217;t worked in years and was saddled with lots of debt and high legal fees. So late that one of the bodyguards maxed out his credit cards and nearly lost his family as a result of his working a job for free. It&#8217;s interesting that for all of the dishonesty they had to grapple with, they still try to paint as sympathetic a picture of Michael Jackson as possible.

Perhaps that&#8217;s rooted in their seeing a fuller picture of him. And the fact that a genuine love was formed after spending so much time with him and his family. However, when people owe me money, ain&#8217;t no love in the heart of the city. Especially when Jackson would go shopping (buying daughter Paris Jackson a black doll) knowing damn well he owed them money.

That is real love. Bless all of their hearts.

All and all, the movie was not what I anticipated, but by the end, I felt majorly pissed for the bodyguards. After all of their sacrifices, they were squeezed out on top of not being properly compensated. Still, they gave him a compassionate depiction. Even in death, they protected the legacy of Michael Jackson.

I&#8217;m named after the man, but even I wouldn&#8217;t be so kind about someone who owed me money. I&#8217;m glad this movie happened, if for no other reason than that these bodyguards got the checks they have long been due. And they didn&#8217;t have to shake the table like Randy.

Shamon.

http://tsdmemphis.com/news/2017/may/30/congrats-lifetime-made-michael-jackson-tv-movie-wa/?page=2

I would love to be optimistic about that but I think the safer bet is to be realistic. For my money it is definitely something to invest in. If the reviews and viewership is decent as I hear then you would think that it might change the narrative for production companies. The problem is writers or whomever are programed into thinking only negative Jackson news and info sells. Heck that's how they are with all famous people.

For once we were provided with something where they stayed away from the "fluff" and just focused on a man that struggled to live his life because of his fame. That type of thing isn't something Hollywood wants to write it about. It makes them and the media both look bad and I don't believe that's something they would want to do.

Now, the estate claims to have multiple projects and it's enough that there's an entire thread about it but who knows what they REALLY want and plan to do. The thing about these big companies is they have a business that isnt putting out new product (for lack of a better way of saying it). It's because of this that some don't understand that they have to spread things out instead of giving it to us all at once.. heck a lot of businesses hold onto properties because they have the right and say they might use it to sell one day...and then simply never use it. It's just the nature of business. Even if an "American Dream" style film is in the works who knows when it will come. Heck there's a few projects I've heard about for years that apparently are hearsay because nothing was ever confirmed and yet here we are without it. I'd naturally love for them to do make a more full-length film, I'm just not sure "they" all feel the same way. Biopics are kind of low budget low risk compared to a full length project.

For those wanting to stream it I did spend quite a bit of time searching, but was unable to find anything and unfortunately I don't have the means to record and upload :-/ . I hear you because I'd be pretty irritated myself.

I'd rather have a documentary series. One documentary is not really enough to cover everything in MJ's life so I'd have a series of them with different subjects. Most about the art but at least one part about setting the record straight about the allegations etc.
Me too. The one Robin talked about sounded promising. We need a doc like that that's also well received before any bios covering the last 15 years.

Even if Navi was fine in the movie, I bet he was far to make Michael justice and capture the man and his genius. In general we often complain more trained actors were a caricature of the famous person either because of the truth was sacrificed for drama sake or they fail to understand them and capture their personality traits.

Get the most important facts straight and let the man speak once and for all, no more talking heads who don't know the facts like directors did with Bob Marley and Amy Winehouse in their bio documentaries. Even if it takes a series of documentaries.

^ No one will ever 100% capture Michael.. ie if someone could have emulated the feel of Michael, there would BE another "Michael". Navi did a great job, the accent could use some work of course but I will say he did his homework -added onto the years of trying to emulate him, has spent time with the man.. Believe me when I say I am one critical person when it comes to impersonators - highly because I dance and have studied Michaels movements for much of my life, more so than you could imagine.. Navi while of course wasn't exact, he's not the best on stage as Michael as far as his dancing etc. BUT he portrayed him well in this film, more than expected by many

I checked it out from the Facebook Video. But first I wanna point out that I found out that Lifetime Canada is premireing the film this Saturday.

I checked it and I can say it was good, just good. There are a few moments in the film that made me choked up and there are some I never expected like he uses hot sauce in popcorn and even used it in fried chicken and I thought "Wow, he's becoming like me, because I use hot sauce on almost everything, like chicken, pizza, rice and even ramen. But I never use it on popcorn." And his outburst towards Raymone Bain over suggesting selling the ATV catalogue and broke Bill's cellphone, again much like me, because I always threw hissy fits but mainly re. to hockey.

I gave the film a solid +B and Navi did a great job.

I thought the 'lisp' was more from him trying to do an american accent than intentional lisp

Chad L Coleman@ChadLColeman May 25th

Great night for @lifetimetv's #MichaelJacksonMovie gala & hung w/ @mj_bodyguard & @officialnavi! Loved all the MJ fans in the house!! pic.twitter.com/rO1E2AJ9rC

DApLzYHXgAE3WOD.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Watch “Michael Jackson Searching For Neverland Full Movie” On Vimeo<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJFAM?src=hash">#MJFAM</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJackson?src=hash">#MichaelJackson</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJ?src=hash">#MJ</a> <a href="https://t.co/0hl1OaSEmy">https://t.co/0hl1OaSEmy</a></p>&mdash; &#9733;&#9834;&#9734; &#9829;&#9836;&#9812;MJMAGIC&#9812;&#9836;&#9829;&#9734;&#9834;&#9733; (@MJMagicBK1) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJMagicBK1/status/870195120431386624">1. Juni 2017</a></blockquote>

Okay I thought the movie was good/decent. I thought Michael came off really needy in the movie though. My gosh at times I felt so bad for the poor bodyguards.lol.

Back