Feb. 3 - News & Mentionings

thank you Classic once again for a good post.... it erks me when panick and lecturing on how Michael should run his life financially or otherwise comes poring out.. just from a news story.................

and lets say its determined that Rhianna's record label DefJam was the one that made the error................I wonder if there will be posts apologizing on making the WRONG assumptions....???

Yep! This sort of reminds me of the Prince and "Two Seas." Now I for one, thought that there was a legitimate record company on the books called Two Seas, but after certain testimony came out, we ALL realized that some of us were wrong, there was never a record company called Two Seas and there were NO signed contracts.

It all sounded good and plausible, until we heard the other side of the story.

and lets say its determined that Rhianna's record label DefJam was the one that made the error................I wonder if there will be posts apologizing on making the WRONG assumptions....???
dont be daft lol

I think people are simply pointing out the obvious and "if" what it says is right then...blah blah blah. People can't possibly know the truth of the matter until its done. But it will never stop anyone from having opinions. Who's right, wrong or doesn't belong should have been avoided since it wasn't it's just time that will tell :yes:

No reason to be rude to one another. Play nicely.

Nic has a point...while it wasn't soley mike's to give though, she does need permission from mj as well...

cuz dbango's hook is 'Ko mama sa maka makoosa Mama ko mama sa maka makoosa Mama ko mama sa maka makoosa'

rhi sampled MICHAEL'S version from thriller which is a different tempo, written and sung a bit differently. so she needed BOTH

Yeah, that's all I meant Katie. I flew off of the handle cause I'm just sick of seeing this crap. But the reason I was mad Michael was involved is because of the reasons I stated before. I just don't get how it's Michael's responsibility, but like I said, I'm not too good with legal rangling.

Yep! This sort of reminds me of the Prince and "Two Seas." Now I for one, thought that there was a legitimate record company on the books called Two Seas, but after certain testimony came out, we ALL realized that some of us were wrong, there was never a record company called Two Seas and there were NO signed contracts.

It all sounded good and plausible, until we heard the other side of the story.
there was a boi named michael who borrowed a hook. he revised it to make it his but ONLY he was allowed to use it. mr. dbango said it was ok so boi michael did. then came a girl named rhi who wanted to use it....boi mike said yes but he wasn't allowed cuz it wasn't his to give.

what the helldoes this have to do with two seas ? AND NOTE MJ SETTLED....to what we don't know but the prince didn't go home emptyhanded

I hope all this negativity will disappear soon... Michael should really do something so positive in music that all the world will see only the music and the artist's talent, instead of take attentions to these news.

Well alright. The dude should have demanded that he recieve writers credit though in the first place. And it's still Rihanna's responsibility to get his permission, not Michael's.
Not really, since Dibango has never been credited, Rihanna and/or her people couldn't have possibly known to contact him. It's doubtful she's heard of the previous lawsuit, and she should have been informed by Mike or his camp. The Rolling Stones sued George Michael on the song "Waiting For That Day" which was contained on George's "Listen Without Predjudice" album. It had a line from the Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and wasn't credited. The Stones won and all future pressings of the album after the lawsuit (as well as any use of the song on compilations, soundtracks, etc.) added Jagger/Richards to the writing credits. Mike never added Dibango's name to the songwriting credits/publishing.

Well shouldn't the courts have made that decisian?
I don't know the details of the earlier case, perhaps Dibango just asked for money. If that is the case, it probably isn't required that Mike add Dibango's name to the credits if he didn't sue for that. But it would have been a good idea to do so on Mike's side to avoid any future problems. But it also would have been wiser for Dibango to ask to be added to the publishing, and would have made way more money than just a settlement, if that is what happened. He would have made money from any future sales or any use of the song like commercials, TV use, etc. If Dibango had been added to the songwriting credits, he wouldn't have needed this new lawsuit, because he would have automatically gotten paid in the 1st place. It's like when Mike got sued for sampling the Cleveland orchestra on "Will You Be There". On the original release of Dangerous, they weren't credited, but on after lawsuit pressings, they are. Maybe a deal was made with Mike to get royalties, because it doesn't make a lot of sense that he should bring up a lawsuit now, when he could have sued Mike at anytime before "Please Don't Stop The Music". The Thriller album never went out of print, and sells pretty steadily. So maybe he didn't get paid when Rihanna's (who is most likely unaware of the Soul Makossa's court case) album became a hit. But ignorance is no excuse as far as law is concerned, so this is why she is in the lawsuit, and Mike is credited as the author of the sample/interpolation. Who knows?

no he wanted the money which he's entitled too.

the whole point is...dbango didn't have to be credited cuz most music heads IN MUSIC KNOW that's where mj got that line from....and secondly, it wasn't mj's right to give permission. when he did that, he essentially made like that sample was his own work and he authorized rhi to use it. he didn't have the right to do that.

so that's y he's suing both of them cuz they both made more profit from it than they should've

there was a boi named michael who borrowed a hook. he revised it to make it his but ONLY he was allowed to use it. mr. dbango said it was ok so boi michael did. then came a girl named rhi who wanted to use it....boi mike said yes but he wasn't allowed cuz it wasn't his to give.

what the helldoes this have to do with two seas ? AND NOTE MJ SETTLED....to what we don't know but the prince didn't go home emptyhanded

I said it reminded ME of Two Seas. Am I not allowed to have an opinion that is not the same as your's?

How do you know that Mike's people didn't tell Rhi's people what the deal was and they ignored it? You know what: YOU DON'T!

I said it reminded ME of Two Seas. Am I not allowed to have an opinion that is not the same as your's?

How do you know that Mike's people didn't tell Rhi's people what the deal was and they ignored it? You know what: YOU DON'T!
oh poo i wasn't bashing anything. i was coming up w/ a funny euphamism-like post of my own

please, no one from def jam would be THAT stupid to ignore something like that. especially after the song went mulit plat....

Back