Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael"/ Excerpt @pg151/New Interview Post 3743

Re: Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael" book release date Nov 15 ,2011 / Excerpt posted at @pg151

Didn't Frank say that he was Michael's manager? I think that I read that on his facebook page for the book and so many articles are saying that he was Michael's manager.

He said he has multiple different title all begin with personal XXX. But his job is like personal assistant dealing with MJ's everything.

Re: Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael" book release date Nov 15 ,2011 / Excerpt posted at @pg151

Ash what is it that you are supposed to be eating?

Popcorn! :D :shifty:

:lmao: yeah,,,still trying to figure out this book..and Frank and all. Confusing about his motives for writing it. Then the thing about Michael saying about Frank not writing the book while he was alive. Ya know I like to give people the benefit of the doubt..I really want to read a good book about Michael...but I have doubts if this is the one.

Me too!
kermit.gif
:fear:

He said he has multiple different title all begin with personal XXX. But his job is like personal assistant dealing with MJ's everything.
I found where the manager info came from. This is the way that Frank describes his job on the facebook page for the book. I think that personal manager is just a glorified way of saying personal assistant and the media reports shortened personal manager and just said manager. Did Frank claim that he did all of the other job duties below in the book?

Frank Cascio, a close friend of Michael Jackson for over 25 years, will tell the inside, behind-the-scenes story of the Michael that he knew and grew up with, offering the most candid, moving, and provocative portrait to date of the pop icon.

Frank Cascio, an entrepreneur and music producer who knew Michael Jackson for more than twenty-five years, including serving as his personal manager for nearly a decade from the '90s into the '00s. During that time, Cascio developed and co-produced The Michael Jackson 30th Anniversary Celebration, Madison Square Garden, was co-producer and creative director of The Michael Jackson Interview: Footage You Were Never Meant to See, executive producer and creative director in collaboration with Brett Ratner on Michael Jackson Private Home Movies, which aired on Fox in 2003. He splits his time between New York, Los Angeles, and Germany.

So we have popcorn and pizza eating going on. Is anyone drinking wine?

I think you guys are right. Frank was an assistant with a glorified title, and I would add a glorified income too. Michael paid well. Now Frank could add to his list: "bestselling author." Was Frank an entrepreneur and music producer while he worked for Michael?

Thunder you know how people say "not while I'm alive" or "not in my lifetime" or "when hell freezes over" -- to me all these phrases mean don't do it. Generally, people say not while I'm alive, because really they cannot control anything after they are dead, and not because they want the person to wait until they are dead. I am going to look at that statement in the way English-speaking people generally use it--"you better not".

Last edited:

So we have popcorn and pizza eating going on. Is anyone drinking wine?

I think you guys are right. Frank was an assistant with a glorified title, and I would add a glorified income too. Michael paid well. Now Frank could add to his list: "bestselling author." Was Frank an entrepreneur and music producer while he worked for Michael?

Thunder you know how people say "not while I'm alive" or "not in my lifetime" or "when hell freezes over" -- to me all these phrases mean don't do it. Generally, people say not while I'm alive, because really they cannot control anything after they are dead, and not because they want the person to wait until they are dead. I am going to look at that statement in the way English-speaking people generally use it--"you better not".

and that is how I took it to mean also. Michael was telling him..You better not. So he did,,,and there really isn't to much that we can do about it..other than dont buy the book, Those that want to,,should...and those that don't,,,well ..just wont,

According to Frank...Michael isn't here to dispute Frank's version of the conversation. Now is he? MJ questioned his loyalty more than once.

do you realize what you are suggesting? For example Michael questioned Branca multiple times as well. does that mean we need to question him as well? Or do we consider that there were other factors (such as Geffen) and there was no evidence (LeGrand report) and that Michael rehired him?

What I'm saying if the standard is who Michael questioned - well then it's a long list
but it's who Michael rehired / remained friends with regardless of questioning - that's a different thing

THis book, like all the others written on MJ, is an opportunity for the author to make money. Like many have reported, you don't get a publishing deal unless you promise some unflattering stories. So there i no way he would have gotten a publishing deal without first promising SOMETHING. If a professional like Aphrodite couldn't get her book publish, why do you think Frank's could if there wasn't some promise made upfront?

This was true for 2005 but not true for 2011. After Michael's death you can get positive books about Michael published - example Jermaine, Joe Vogel and even Latoya's book. What unflattering stories did they have in their books about Michael?

On the positive side it lets publishers know that pushing the negative drug/addict aspects of Michael will not sell a Michael book. Hopefully we will then see more books about his music and not about who he slept with, talked to, played with, fought with, who exploited him, or who he took on trips around the world.

This book is not negative. But I guess you need to read it to see it.

Marebear as someone pointed out it seems Frank was more like an assistant. To me he might have been like a secretary doing odd jobs and people would call him to speak to Michael. I am not sure if in the book he made himself out to be more than that, because I did not read the book. We all know a 18 to 22 year old cannot handle the complex financial/business affairs that Michael dealt with at his level. However, that is the thing about books--one has to take the author's word if there is no way to refute the statements.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what he did.

he's an assistant that makes phone calls and picks up posters from the fans etc. The financial stuff - again as I mentioned it before- he didn't do it by himself. First it was 2 people that Michael brought in and Frank worked with them and later the friend he brought in is a Carnegie Melon graduate. So he wasn't a 18-19 year old making financial decisions, he was the middleman for Michael for qualified people to handle the task.

In all honesty, Michael questioning Branca is incomparable to him questioning Frank Cascio. Branca was named an executor in the will, because Branca has proven his business acumen and negotiating skills to the industry, and to Michael many times over. I don't think you can compare that to whatever Frank has done for Michael. What has he really done for Michael besides keeping him company on occasion?

In all honesty, Michael questioning Branca is incomparable to him questioning Frank Cascio. Branca was named an executor in the will, because Branca has proven his business acumen and negotiating skills to the industry, and to Michael many times over. I don't think you can compare that to whatever Frank has done for Michael. What has he really done for Michael besides keeping him company on occasion?

what has Frank done? Friend and personal assistant - so yes I agree that Branca is a lot more significant then Frank. That also should mean any questioning of him is a lot more significant as well.

for example the offshore account supposed for Sony to pay Branca is no different than the Frank getting money for setting up meetings with Michael.

Michael questioned that as well, didn't he? didn't it result in firing Branca? It did.

So are we going to leave it at that or look to what happened next?

An investigation found nothing and Branca was rehired.

Similarly as Frank was working for Michael and/or was his friend after any questioning shouldn't it also mean that there was nothing there?

My point is simple - You can't just make an evaluation on the fact that Michael questioned someone. He questioned a lot of people including Frank Cascio, Dileo, McClain, Branca and so on. You also need to look at to what happened after he questioned people. Because that's the only thing that will give you the full picture.

Note: To be clear I just used Branca as an example. Many of you - including Memefan- know that we deal with a lot of people that says "Michael fired Branca" - he questioned him - as a reason to hate executors and we spend time explaining what was found in the investigation and how he was rehired and so on and so on. Quite honestly I was surprised to see that now the same thing we generally argue against was being done.

In addition to being friends with the Rabbi, don't forget his very questionable friendship with Friedman -- the same reporter who's been attacking MJ viciously for a whole decade almost non-stop. If this was someone else, fans would have exploded, but for Frank it seems to be kinda swept under the rug.

I agree that he is catering to both fans and media with this book. Sweet stories for the fans and "No, he wasn't an addict" and then drug stories for the media and "He was situational addict". A lot of crap that other people did and caused MJ grief is omitted (like the Rabbi scam, the Jacksons' messes and possibly stories about Frank himself). He's painting these folks in a positive light, including Klein, yet he couldn't omit certain drug stories that were not necessary to tell to spare MJ the negative publicity.

But then again, how would he get attention from the media? -_-

Lisa better not ever write a book about MJ.. she will be attacked beyond belief by MJ fans.
I dont think she will as she said in her last interview with oprah she was done talking bout mj.

Regardless MJ questioning the loyalty of Branca, Frank and many others at times. Your comment seems to imply that business associates and the things they can bring is whats most important in Michael's life. Companionship, caring a life long friendship which you degraded to (just keeping company on occasion) is nothing and shouldn't be considered as giving something important to his life. Frank was more a personal friend to Michael and never stated he was some great business mogule who reshaped his empire. Still its very evident the relationship they had was very special and important to both of them. It had it ups and downs as all relationships do but that doesnt negate the fact that it was a long lasting friendship that brought MJ and Frank much joy. I would say what Frank brought to MJ's life is comparable and was just as important to his well being.

I will also add a personal note here

I realize some people have an odd fascination with me being Pro-Cascio (or defending Cascio's as they like to say it).

From everything I read and know I believe the most cruel thing to be done to Michael was the allegations. Furthermore I believe it hurt him really bad. sometimes I can't help but think that Michael was actually killed at the 2005 trial - his soul at least. and there's a burning question in my mind that I want to find the answer to - if he ever recovered , if he was truly happy?

That being said I also think those allegations showed who was Michael's true friends.

in 1993 Cascio's was put in a place that people suspected that something happened to their sons. DA called them, media pursued them - yet they remained loyal and defended Michael.

in 2005 Frank was put in a lot worse place that he was to face 2-6 years of prison if Michael had found guilty and DA offered him immunity in exchange of speaking against Michael. He rejected it and again went on to defend Michael on media.

In my mind they deserve credit for what they had done - especially what they have done in the bad times- they stood with Michael as true friends. So sue me if I refuse to be the "rush to conclusions, nitpick on small stuff, forget the past and hate without proof" bandwagon..

I read the book. I will read any book I think is worth a read - as long as it's not complete rubbish. With all books you must read between the lines and then take it for what it is.

Happy trails..
:heart:
souldreamer7

Sorry if I am interrupting the current discussion.

Just read this. Michael told Frank, "People will not understand this album (Invincible) now. It's ahead of it's time. But trust me Frank, ten years from now, people will understand and the album will live on forever."

Michael, Invincible never turns old. It hasn't aged a bit.

I really love Invincible.

Sorry if I am interrupting the current discussion.

Just read this. Michael told Frank, "People will not understand this album (Invincible) now. It's ahead of it's time. But trust me Frank, ten years from now, people will understand and the album will live on forever."

Michael, Invincible never turns old. It hasn't aged a bit.

I really love Invincible.

:) I do too and I loved how Michael knew. A lot of critics and such realized what good album it was later on.

I agree that he is catering to both fans and media with this book. Sweet stories for the fans and "No, he wasn't an addict" and then drug stories for the media and "He was situational addict" But then again, how would he get attention from the media? -_-

I believe it has been already dicussed in this thread that Frank admitted he used the wrong choice of words in that interview. Dont know if that would change your opinion or not but he just got flustered and was surrounded by people wanting to portray MJ as a Junkie. He was trying to explain that MJ only used drugs for "situations" where he was in pain and really needed them. It was not intentional to portray him as an addict.

Myself I have not seen any other interview where Frank has said that or tried to portray MJ as a addict. He always trys to explain why MJ needed or felt he needed these medications. I dont know if that makes a difference to you or not but it does to me. Its shows me he is not trying to play that card to the media. I see clearly its the media that wants to focus on these things in interviews not Frank. In fact you can actually see him get very upset and flustered when discussing it becuase its not the focus of his book. but it seems thats all the media and some fans want to focus on.

This book is not negative. But I guess you need to read it to see it.
Did not say the book was negative. This is what I wrote and which you quoted in your post: On the positive side it lets publishers know that pushing the negative drug/addict aspects of Michael will not sell a Michael book. My point is that the publishers/media push the negative drug/addict aspect of the book. If you do not believe that look at the media questions during the interviews and the headlines. I am not saying the book is totally negative.

I think you have to read what you quote more carefully in this thread.

:) I do too and I loved how Michael knew. A lot of critics and such realized what good album it was later on.
And, I find comfort knowing Michael realized the album will be better received in the future. His idea on the Unbreakable short film is mind blowing. If Sony supported it, we would have had another masterpiece.

And, I find comfort knowing Michael realized the album will be better received in the future. His idea on the Unbreakable short film is mind blowing. If Sony supported it, we would have had another masterpiece.

Yes, It's ashamed that Sony didn't allow MJ follow his creatives. I really wanted to see that video. SIGH~~~~~
In this case, the record company killed the art.

Regardless MJ questioning the loyalty of Branca, Frank and many others at times. Your comment seems to imply that business associates and the things they can bring is whats most important in Michael's life. Companionship, caring a life long friendship which you degraded to (just keeping company on occasion) is nothing and shouldn't be considered as giving something important to his life. Frank was more a personal friend to Michael and never stated he was some great business mogule who reshaped his empire. Still its very evident the relationship they had was very special and important to both of them. It had it ups and downs as all relationships do but that doesnt negate the fact that it was a long lasting friendship that brought MJ and Frank much joy. I would say what Frank brought to MJ's life is comparable and was just as important to his well being.

I'm not suggesting companionship wasn't important to Michael, in this same thread I have praised friends of Michael who have repsected his privacy even in his death. I respect them, and for that I believe the companionship they offered Michael was more sincere. If my words came off harsh, that was because I was commenting more on the relationship between Frank and Michael.

Michael wasn't just friends with Frank Cascio. He was friends with the entire family first. Michael questioning a business relationship (Branca) versus him questioning a friendship - what does that tell you? His expectations for a friend would be different to what he would expect from a business associate. If a friend crossed the line in his mind, I presume that would hurt him more. In light of Frank's behaviour that has transpired since Michael's death, I really question what he had to offer? Was the companionship he offered Michael sincere, or was it not?

As Ivy said, Branca's name was cleared with an investigation, but what has Frank done to clear his name from fan allegations that the tracks he sold to Michael's estate (for a hefty sum I might add) were fake? Nothing so far. And now he comes out with a book that contains information that shouldn't have been revealed, and serve no purpose (i.e. getting stoned in the mountain) other than to entice a publisher and media interest. So what did he offer Michael again, and was it sincere? If it was not, it was as I said earlier - keeping him company on occasion. Nothing more, but perhaps he had an ulterior motive from his side.

^^That information Michael said about Invincible, we heard it before Frank wrote about it in his book. The information is also somewhere in this forum.

Rhilo this statement you wrote: "What has he really done for Michael besides keeping him company on occasion" really cracked me up. You know you have something there. Maybe it was not the only duty, but certainly part of it.

As Ivy said, Branca's name was cleared with an investigation, but what has Frank done to clear his name from fan allegations that the tracks he sold to Michael's estate (for a hefty sum I might add) were fake? Nothing so far.

Frank isn't Eddie. Eddie isn't Frank.

Did Frank mention in the book how often he saw or talked to Michael after 2003?

I believe it has been already dicussed in this thread that Frank admitted he used the wrong choice of words in that interview. Dont know if that would change your opinion or not but he just got flustered and was surrounded by people wanting to portray MJ as a Junkie. He was trying to explain that MJ only used drugs for "situations" where he was in pain and really needed them. It was not intentional to portray him as an addict.

Myself I have not seen any other interview where Frank has said that or tried to portray MJ as a addict. He always trys to explain why MJ needed or felt he needed these medications. I dont know if that makes a difference to you or not but it does to me. Its shows me he is not trying to play that card to the media. I see clearly its the media that wants to focus on these things in interviews not Frank. In fact you can actually see him get very upset and flustered when discussing it becuase its not the focus of his book. but it seems thats all the media and some fans want to focus on.
When did Frank admit that "situational addict" was the wrong choice of words?

Last edited:

Frank isn't Eddie. Eddie isn't Frank.

Well then, I guess I was right in my assessment that of Michael's friends, it's the regular families that he adopted that used, abused and let him down the most. Not his celebrity friends. I hate to say this, but the names speak for themselves.

Eddie may not be Frank, but end of the day, they are brothers. Whilst he sees nothing wrong with detailing Michael's personal problems he can't address the controversies that surround him and his family.

As Ivy said, Branca's name was cleared with an investigation, but what has Frank done to clear his name from fan allegations that the tracks he sold to Michael's estate (for a hefty sum I might add) were fake? Nothing so far. And now he comes out with a book that contains information that shouldn't have been revealed, and serve no purpose (i.e. getting stoned in the mountain) other than to entice a publisher and media interest. So what did he offer Michael again, and was it sincere? If it was not, it was as I said earlier - keeping him company on occasion. Nothing more, but perhaps he had an ulterior motive from his side.

You do know that Frank didn't involve writing those songs. Eddie is the one who should come out to clear his name not Frank. Frank said clear that at the time he was living in New York and travel between NJ and NY to visit MJ and his family. His relationship kind of fall out with Eddie because of MJ. How can you expect he to know what happened to those tracks?????? Why people kept mixing Eddie with Frank just because they shared the same last name?

Did Frank mention in the book how often he saw or talked to Michael after 2003?

He did in the third portion of his book.

Well then, I guess I was right in my assessment that of Michael's friends, it's the regular families that he adopted that used, abused and let him down the most. Not his celebrity friends. I hate to say this, but the names speak for themselves.

Eddie may not be Frank, but end of the day, they are brothers. Whilst he sees nothing wrong with detailing Michael's personal problems he can't address the controversies that surround him and his family.

So in your view, The Jacksons supposed to know everything of MJ???? since they were Mj's siblings? I think you should read the book first then accused Frank such thing (You don't need to buy it if you don't want to). Although I think Eddie really should come forward to explain what happened, I really think you are not being fair to Frank regarding the song issue.

first of all I think their family such as their mother and father should be left out of this mess. Regardless of Michael questioning Frank , his relationship with their family never changed.

You do know that Frank didn't involve writing those songs. Eddie is the one who should come out to clear his name not Frank. Frank said clear that at the time he was living in New York and travel between NJ and NY to visit MJ and his family. His relationship kind of fall out with Eddie because of MJ. How can you expect he to know what happened to those tracks?????? Why people kept mixing Eddie with Frank just because they shared the same last name?

missred07 is right. If you had read the book you'll see that Eddie and Frank had a falling out around 2004 which lasted after Michael's death. Frank also wasn't at the house when they were recording. so there's nothing to suggest that he even knows anything about the recordings. If there's someone that needs to address this issue, it's Eddie. Not Frank. And seriously this lumping all the family together just because they share the same last name is seriously flawed.

So in your view, The Jacksons supposed to know everything of MJ???? since they were Mj's siblings? I think you should read the book first then accused Frank such thing (You don't need to buy it if you don't want to). Although I think Eddie really should come forward to explain what happened, I really think you are not being fair to Frank regarding the song issue.

I never mentioned that being brothers meant they knew every little detail about one another, and to address a controversy doesn't mean all the facts need to be known. Certainly, Michael's own siblings have been doing that haven't they? Not that I condone their conduct most of the time.

Frank need not be involved in the songs to be guilty of letting Michael down, because he certainly did, with this book.

first of all I think their family such as their mother and father should be left out of this mess. Regardless of Michael questioning Frank , his relationship with their family never changed.

missred07 is right. If you had read the book you'll see that Eddie and Frank had a falling out around 2004 which lasted after Michael's death. Frank also wasn't at the house when they were recording. so there's nothing to suggest that he even knows anything about the recordings. If there's someone that needs to address this issue, it's Eddie. Not Frank. And seriously this lumping all the family together just because they share the same last name is seriously flawed.

Right. I think, the parents are decent folk. I used the word 'family' loosely here. It doesn't mean each and every family member was responsible for letting him down in all cases, and that's not what I meant.

What I meant was that the friends who let him down the most were usually from non-celebrity families that he befriended and adopted. That is pretty much a fact .

In addition to being friends with the Rabbi, don't forget his very questionable friendship with Friedman -- the same reporter who's been attacking MJ viciously for a whole decade almost non-stop. If this was someone else, fans would have exploded, but for Frank it seems to be kinda swept under the rug.

I agree that he is catering to both fans and media with this book. Sweet stories for the fans and "No, he wasn't an addict" and then drug stories for the media and "He was situational addict". A lot of crap that other people did and caused MJ grief is omitted (like the Rabbi scam, the Jacksons' messes and possibly stories about Frank himself). He's painting these folks in a positive light, including Klein, yet he couldn't omit certain drug stories that were not necessary to tell to spare MJ the negative publicity.

But then again, how would he get attention from the media? :sleep:
THANK U!

Why is MJ getting blamed for their alleged fall out? I find that kinda Fed up. And when exactly did the fall out occur? It wasn't during the tracks because as u stated he was going back and forth from NJ to NY to see BOTH MJ and his FAM. So was it after the tracks were done? But, It couldn't be true anymore? They must have made up since the WHOLE Cascio Family was on Oprah together talking about MJ as a friend and the tracks. Two subjects they all knew was the topic of the show and they all came together as a family. So I don't see how they never had a covo about the situation that's hanging like a dark shadow over the Cascio name. How can Frank be so willing to tell private ish about MJ and others like Liz and Lisa Marie but, can't defend his own brother in more detail in his own book? Sorry but, I'm calling B.S on this.

Last edited:
Back