Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Threatened

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Monster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Did MJ single-handed engineer a new genre of music in what I label Gothic/Horror Pop:

Precursors:
Off The Wall (opening sound effects)
This Place Hotel (intro, Opening scream, dark lyrics)

Gothic-horror songs:
Thriller
Somebody's Watching Me
Little Susie (juries out on this one)
Ghosts
Is It Scary
Morphine
Threatened
Monster

Last edited:
He did have a hand in making it a thing, but I'm not sure if he was the first. There were songs like The monster mash and Purple People Eater that were from the 50s I believe.

There was Screamin' Jay Hawkins, who started in the 1950s. He often performed with a casket. There was Alice Cooper's stage show from the 1970s too.

What was MJ's greatest Gothic/Horror Pop record.

http://www.popmatters.com/post/110610-verse-chorus-verse-the-jacksons-/:
"Heartbreak Hotel” was a highlight of the Triumph tour, and like many of Michael Jackson’s songs which explore the terror of high anxiety, it is kind of like an aural horror film, with fear, paranoia, and emotional claustrophobia......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-trial-_b_1068750.html:
Perhaps Jackson's most compelling response to the public perception of him that resulted comes in his trio of late Gothic songs: "Ghosts," "Is It Scary," and "Threatened." It is here that Jackson holds a mirror up to the society that scorns him and asks it to look at its own grotesque reflection. "Is it scary for you!".......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_221797.html:
In the gritty, haunting "Morphine," Jackson tackles a subject he never had before: drug addiction. To a relentless, industrial funk beat, the singer lashes out in visceral bursts of anger, aggression, and pain.......

Last edited:
Re: Gothic/Horror Songs

I think the best one is Morphine. All of them are great, but I think in this one Michael opens himself in a way he has never done before. Amazing song.

All of those songs are great. I chose is it scary as the song feels like you are driving through a damp mountain valley with forest on each side of a steeply sloping canyon and you are climbing higher throught the forest and rain and then you break out of the forest into the alpine meadow and the rain turns to snow.

It also sounds like the aural equivalent of a gothic revival building built in 1859 with black stones covered in moss and needing a waterblast and they have pointed arches in the windows and there is even a human skull bricked into the arches. (I have a very overactive imagination)

Gothic is a word used out of context, it actually means a style of ecclesiastical (Church) architecture started in Germany around 1150 with dark and solid stones, soaring arches and windows, used mostly for churches and monasteries between 1180 and about 1550. Europe is full of gothic architecture which includes lacy arches, balustrades, screens thin windows with pointed arches (The arches were borrowed off Moorish architecture). It was to salute God and used on a few castles. How it got misconstrued for Horror purposes, was the 19th century (1801 -1900 not 1900s!!) revival, where Gothic architecture was used for all forms of public buildings, churches, schools, hospitals, lunatic hospitals, town halls, train stations, post offices, shops, personal homes. Earlier on it was used to describe a style of novel writing which involved ghosts, vampires, devils, skulls etc (Frankenstein is a classic Gothic novel). Gothic revival caught on after 1840 and peaked around 1870 with many gothic buildings survivingg today, as Victorians built things solidly.

Victorians loved gothic revival as it symbolised the harmonious and Victorian past, mostly used in Britain and her empire, it was also very popular in the USA and other parts of Europe and their colonies. Often gothic architecture was used in far off colonies (My country New Zealand is full of beautiful 1860 -1900 era Gothic revival buildings). Usually it was very elaborate and required much maintenance to keep looking good. Heavy stone buildings leaked and were cold and draughty and even sank into damp ground. After a few years of neglect, these buildings looked run down and quite creepy, hence why your stock image of a haunted house is usually some c.1880 mansion that has been neglected and there will be at least steeply pointed arched window and elaborate carving.

Also too as Gothic revival was the preferred architecture for mental hospitals, jails and any other punitive institution like a workhouse or some hospital where people are tortured, plus the image of a medieval dungeon or basement lab, will always have have gothic revival connotations. Just think of it. Gothic revival died off after 1900, but there was a movement for Collegiate gothic in the 1910 - 1930 period and this 1920s style was used mostly on Universities in the British empire and the USA, unlike 1800s they used bricks, concrete and lighter materials with more flattened pointed arches (Perpendicular), based heavily on the 15th century Kings College at Cambridge. This type of gothica was more positive than that of 1880s.

So why are we using "Gothic" to describe horror or a type of music?

"Blood On The Dance Floor" could be considered a horror song. "Shout" and "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" as well, methinks.

So why are we using "Gothic" to describe horror or a type of music?

In this context it is more a reference to the Goth subculture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture

Vogel called these songs "gothic" in the article mentioned in the first post of this thread, so I guess that's why Psychoniff calls them that as well, but I think it is a bit forced. I don't think MJ has anything to do with the goth subculture or ever did. Just because he had a fondness for horror themes I don't think that makes either him or the songs "goth" songs. I'd rather just call these horror songs than goth songs.

BTW, Monster is not a Michael Jackson song.

The Cascios gave him writing credit for obvious reasons - to link it to MJ. It doesn't mean it is true. It does not prove it is so. I do not mean to hijack the thread in this direction, I just feel every time someone refers to those songs as "MJ songs" is a punch in the stomach. Can we please leave these songs out of discussions like these?

^As far as I'm concerned, there's NO conspiracy here. Those are HIS songs. BACK TO TOPIC....

^As far as I'm concerned, there's NO conspiracy here. Those are HIS songs. BACK TO TOPIC....

That is highly, highly debated.

But yeah, this topic is not the place for that debate. However, I will never accept those songs as a part of Michael's catalogue until we have evidence of that.

I think Heartbreak Hotel is an absolute masterpiece. It always reminds of The Shining (movie). The suspense is so rich and the music so funkily eerie it's just awesome!

However, I think the best Gothic/horror song of his is Is It Scary hands down! I mean, it never gets old and it is true Gothic rock! I always get the chills while hearing it.

Next comes Heartbreak Hotel tied with Morphine. Heartbreak Hotel has a very compelling plot and description. On the other hand, Morphine's music is just the best! I got so addicted to this song when I first heard it! And it's one of the songs where he curses! I love that lol. Plus, the drop is simply glorious... 5 or 6 years ago I thought it was about sex, but as my vocabulary improved so did my understanding lol!

On number three, there is Threatened and Too Bad. I used to think Too Bad was a mediocre song, but I've begun to love it. I mean, that beat! I just feel like dancing when I hear it! Same with Threatened!

The best song in that list is Heartbreak Hotel. If I had to choose between the real horror songs Thriller, Ghosts and Is It Scary I would pick Ghosts.

Hahaha Monster 0%.. No luck for Jason and Fiddy in this poll.

What do you think by "HIS songs"? Well, maybe some of them are his songs. Some of them are clearly not as they were written after he died. But I agree that some of them are his songs. For example James Porte was working with producers on Keep Your Head Up demo to present it to MJ. In my opinion some of those songs are exactly like unreleased Ne-Yo songs he was writing for/with MJ. But unfortunately MJ didn't put his vocals on any of these songs. The only difference between Cascio and Ne-Yo songs are that Ne-Yo didn't fake MJ vocals and tried to sell them to Sony and MJ's Estate. It's clearly the money thing because Ne-Yo has enough money not to do something stupid like that. Also it's about friendship, dignity and morals, something Casios don't have while Ne-Yo clearly has. So while those songs aren't sung by him, they can, at least some of them, still be considered as his songs.

I have to say Heartbreak Hotel is my 2nd favourite though, that song is truly great. I love the lyrics and Michael's urged delivery and all the beats are on point. It always reminds me of that image in Moonwalker with the sheet music and it shows Michael's signature with 1998, a sketch of him as Peter Pan and one of what is Marlon with a quiff and very big lips. That is more spooky than the song itself.

Songs like all of these show how complex his mind was and how open he was to the spirit world (Pleases me as I am a big fan of ghosts and spirits, have a pendulum etc) and I totally believe that it was his ghost moonwalking around Neverland two days after he died. Michael Jackson had a lot of spirituality clarity and respect for the spirit world, which is one of the many things that endeared me to him.

"Blood On The Dance Floor" could be considered a horror song. "Shout" and "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" as well, methinks.

I don't see a connection here...."Shout" and "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" are not quite gothic-horror.

I voted for little Susie
But morphine and is it scary come close for me

It's so hard to pick and I love for different reasons..

Heart Break Hotel has such a mystic sound.. It sounds dark yet dancy.. That combo is enticing.. And musically we could really hear Michael develop what became later trademark sounds..

Thriller is a classic among classics

Somebody's watching me - I enjoy Mikes part, so catchy..

Little Suzie is a depressing yet enticing story and so different for Michael.. very intriguing because of it .

Is It Scary has a special place in my heart because in MY opinion it's the most autobiographic song about how MJs life was...

Ghosts is a catchy song and is fun.. while still dark!

Morphine is disturbing in all it's beauty in the composition..

Threatened is metaphorically smart.

It's so hard to pick and I love for different reasons..

Heart Break Hotel has such a mystic sound.. It sounds dark yet dancy.. That combo is enticing.. And musically we could really hear Michael develop what became later trademark sounds..

Thriller is a classic among classics

Somebody's watching me - I enjoy Mikes part, so catchy..

Little Suzie is a depressing yet enticing story and so different for Michael.. very intriguing because of it .

Is It Scary has a special place in my heart because in MY opinion it's the most autobiographic song about how MJs life was...

Ghosts is a catchy song and is fun.. while still dark!

Morphine is disturbing in all it's beauty in the composition..

Threatened is metaphorically smart.

Wasn't Ben (the movie) a horror movie? I think it was. Basically the song is about a killer rat. LOL. So I that song too is a horror song actually. :p Now we have almost a full album of horror songs by MJ.

Back