Guinness world records: M “top-selling female recording artist”

Travis

Proud Member
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS: M “TOP-SELLING FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST”

July 1st, 2010
2010-Madonna-by-Alas-Piggott-for-11.jpg

From
Guinness World Records 2011 (American edition, $28.95), Madonna is listed as “Top-Selling Female Recording Artist” with 75 million albums sold in the U.S. and 125 million more sold abroad (for a total of 200 million) as of December of last year. She is also crowned as the woman with the most #1 albums in the U.K.

Source:
http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2010/07/the-musical-queen-of-all-she-purveys.htm

P.S. Figuring in her single sales, that puts M around the 300+ million range which is leaps and bounds ahead of any other female. Go Madonna!

woah, that's a great accomplishment, so she sold 200 million albums and 100 million singles which is 300 million units, Queen of Pop i guess you can say

I thought this was already a well known fact for a very long time? No one I can really think of in the way of competition.

She deserves it. Congrats.

I presumed from the title that James Bond's boss had a singing career I wasn't aware of.

This is good. I always thought that Carey (the singer, not the archbishop) had overtaken her.

Looking forward to a new album soon.

she deserves this....i don't care what anybody says she worked her ass off for 30 and more years...she's the real queen of pop....i don't care the mind blowing amount of photoshop she needs for a photo shoot,i don't care if a 50 yo woman still dances and dresses as a 20 yo,i don't care if she's not artistically relevant now like she used to be..the woman is the one who open the way for all the gagas and britneys,but she did it for good,taking risks that almost ruined her career before anybody else in that genre of music.
great business woman,great performer!she's right where she belongs.

M is not a female, and only had one big hit around 1979 or 1980. :D

[youtube]4HaAOCGb3bw[/youtube]

^^ :lol:
it's wierd, wasn't Celine Dion the best selling female artist, sony claims she too has sold 200 million albums, not sure about singles, and she was awarded the WMA for best selling female too, but then again that was a while ago.
Oh well love both of them :D

I knew that a long time before Guinness did.......

Ray Of Light is a classic album!!!!!

I presumed from the title that James Bond's boss had a singing career I wasn't aware of.

This is good. I always thought that Carey (the singer, not the archbishop) had overtaken her.

Looking forward to a new album soon.

LMAO! You crack me up! :D

Sorry guys! I was too lazy to type "M"adonna's full name. :p

Last edited:
^^ :lol:
it's wierd, wasn't Celine Dion the best selling female artist, sony claims she too has sold 200 million albums, not sure about singles, and she was awarded the WMA for best selling female too, but then again that was a while ago.
Oh well love both of them :D

Mariah Carey was awarded the same thing. Both ladies and even Whitney Houston have been called the best selling female solo artist many times, but it's just baseless PR (btw: Madonna turned down this award and then it was handed to Mariah and then Celine). It's their record companies boosting their artist. Sure, they've sold loads but they are all 30-50-75-100 million or more behind Madonna.

And yes, Madonna has been listed in Guinness as the best selling female artist of all time before (in 2001). However, it's nice to know that it still rings true all these years later. Great thing about Madonna is that she has never accepted such titles or awards (unlike the others who have themselves announced as such at award shows, etc). The numbers do the talking for her. If she ever does start accepting such awards, I will welcome it because it's about time she starts taking credit (especially when so many others who are less deserving do).

Last edited:
Mariah Carey was awarded the same thing. Both ladies and even Whitney Houston have been called the best selling female solo artist many times, but it's just baseless PR (btw: Madonna turned down this award and then it was handed to Mariah and then Celine). It's their record companies boosting their artist. Sure, they've sold loads but they are all 30-50-75-100 million or more behind Madonna.

And yes, Madonna has been listed in Guinness as the best selling female artist of all time before (in 2001). However, it's nice to know that it still rings true all these years later. Great thing about Madonna is that she has never accepted such titles or awards (unlike the others who have themselves announced as such at award shows, etc). The numbers do the talking for her. If she ever does start accepting such awards, I will welcome it because it's about time she starts taking credit (especially when so many others who are less deserving do).

Yea, doesn't anybody actually COUNT how many albums/singles are actually sold.......
......or do they just make up a random (and inflated) number for sales figures!!!!!!!

Madonna's success has lasted way longer then the other ladies so I guess that she is the best seller!!!!!!!!
.....still guesswork though!!!!!!!

GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS WEBSITE PICTURE

July 5th, 2010
36027_409007387251_576712251_4726489_7385943_n.jpg

A picture of Madonna posted at the Guinness World Records website where Madonna is listed as “The Best Selling Female Recording Artist Ever”.

Madonna, the Queen of Pop, has 4 Guinness World Records citations.

*The Highest Paid Female singer.

*Madonna steals Chers’ crown for Highest Grossing Music Concert Tour by female.… See More

*Most number 1 Albums by a Female Artist in UK,with her ninth and highly successful album Confessions on a Dance Floor 2005.

*According to Guinness World Records, Madonna is the Most Successful Female Solo Artist, selling around 200 million albums and 100 million singles worldwide- a combined total which is more than any other female has ever managed.

Source: www.guinnessworldrecords.com/

of course, it's Madonna. who else would it be? whatever people say, Madonna is a great artist.

of course, it's Madonna. who else would it be? whatever people say, Madonna is a great artist.

Agreed. I've always appreciated her artistry despite the fact that many around here choose to ignore her altogether. That's alright though, so long as I'm allowed to show my appreciation, it's all good. To each their own.

I can't help it. I've always loved Madonna. MJ and Madonna were my heroes growing up and it transcended in to adulthood. Now, I've lost one which makes me hold on to Madonna even more.

In my eyes, she's the last of the true megastars.

Back