Hair colour trouble

L.T.D

Proud Member
Ok, you may be expecting me to be a female member now. Truth is, im a 19 year old male.

Anyway now thats out of the way, I have allways had this obesseion with the colour of my hair. It hasnt been its natural colour for about 4 years now.

My natural colour is mousey brown, but for the majority of the past 4 years it has been blonde all over.

For the last few months I have gone through a phase of having it brown, however it kept turning a gingerish colour after about a week everytime I dyed it brown.

So I thought I would go for having blonde highlights put over the brown covering most of my head.

I went to the salon to get it done but she obviously didnt listen properly or something because I came out with thin blonde strands in random areas over my head so I wasnt exactly pleased.

Now heres is the tricky part, I tried to add more myself but it ended up kind of blotchy then.

So I have been constantly trying to correct it ever since purchasing all different dyes. Now it is like a yellowsih blonde all over and im still not happy with it and im wasting all my money on dye. Not to mention the fact its REALLY bad for my hair.

I think im going insane, if the hairdressers had just done it right in the first place I wouldnt be in the mess. Its driving me nuts.

Any advice?

^^ well, you asked for highlights, which would be the thin strands all over your head.....so, she really was listening! you probably should go back to the salon and get it corrected if it's not what you wanted..you might as well spend whatever you need to spend at the salon, cuz you'll be wasting your money on store bought dyes anyways.....don't ever try to correct yourself, cuz it usually will make it worse...

Last edited:
^^ well, you asked for highlights, which would be the thin strands all over your head.....so, she really was listening! you probably should go back to the salon and get it corrected if it's not what you wanted...don't ever try to correct yourself, cuz it usually will make it worse...

I asked for thick highlights covering my head. Which means she would pull thick strands of hair through the cap, rather than thin strands.

If I went back to the Salon I would feel like I have insulted her by trying to correct it so soon after she had done it, and other Salons in my area are much more expensive.

I asked for thick highlights covering my head. Which means she would pull thick strands of hair through the cap, rather than thin strands.

If I went back to the Salon I would feel like I have insulted her by trying to correct it so soon after she had done it, and other Salons in my area are much more expensive.

ooh dude, don't feel like you insulted her....it's your hair...it's your money....it's their job to fix it...and do they only use a cap for highlights? i'd ask for foil highlights...MUCH better....

I agree with ArkLove.....go bac to the salon and show her your hair and explaine to her that she didn't do what you asked her to do...she has to honor her work and make the proper corrections. But....be prepared for her to say something about the stuff that you added also. I wish you good luck.

ooh dude, don't feel like you insulted her....it's your hair...it's your money....it's their job to fix it...and do they only use a cap for highlights? i'd ask for foil highlights...MUCH better....

I was under the impression she would be uing foil when I booked myself in to get it done.

If I went back with a full head of blonde hair. Would they be able to dye it brown then put the highlights over that?

You should have gone back but that isn't really helping now. What you can do is dying your whole hair brown again and then add thick highlights. Then you don't have difference in color. What you also can do is dying the base color yourself and go to a salon for only highlights. Highlights are very tricky to do properply yourself. My friend once asked me to add highlights when I dyed her hair. It turned out to her liking but it was also the last time I did them. :lol:

You should have gone back but that isn't really helping now. What you can do is dying your whole hair brown again and then add thick highlights. Then you don't have difference in color. What you also can do is dying the base color yourself and go to a salon for only highlights. Highlights are very tricky to do properply yourself. My friend once asked me to add highlights when I dyed her hair. It turned out to her liking but it was also the last time I did them. :lol:

Well my main problem when I did them myself a few days ago was that my entire fringe was blonde, yet because my hair is shorter near the back there was a lot less blonde.

You need to go back and as someone else said, don't worry, it's your hair and money.

I should have gone to the Salon myself. My hair was auburn, I dyed it chocolate brown but it turned out black. :mello: I'm just going to leave it. The hair suits my complexion.

I was under the impression she would be uing foil when I booked myself in to get it done.

If I went back with a full head of blonde hair. Would they be able to dye it brown then put the highlights over that?

yeah, be REALLY specific with what you want...some stylists almost have that natural instinct and know exactly what you want..and some others, you really have to explain what you want, or they don't get it...

my overall advice is DON'T touch your hair...leave it the way it is right now, and go back to the salon and get it fixed, and be specific in what you want....

Thank you, only problem now is paying for it. I cant believe I have wasted so much money on hair dyes.

I just want it to go the way I want it and I can just keep it like that and not have to worry haha

Thank you, only problem now is paying for it. I cant believe I have wasted so much money on hair dyes.

I just want it to go the way I want it and I can just keep it like that and not have to worry haha

awww.i know exactly how you feel....at least you know now for the future..! lol...i had a similar problem the other day...i went to get my hair cut and highlighted, but it was by a different girl, because the one i normally see is on vacation...and basically, i'm trying to grow my hair out now, it's just above my shoulders, and i told her i wanted a little trim, that's it, and she repeated back to me, 'oh ok, so just a trim, just the bare minimum?' and i said, yes.....and i think she cut like almost a whole inch, but i didn't notice this until she was finished in the back....it looks fine, but now it's even shorter, and totally defeated the purpose of me trying to grow my hair out...i should have just NOT had it cut at all..but i did want a little trim, because it keeps it healthy, and actually helps to make it grow faster (not sure if this is a myth or not)....but i mean, did she not listen to what i said? :no:

awww.i know exactly how you feel....at least you know now for the future..! lol...i had a similar problem the other day...i went to get my hair cut and highlighted, but it was by a different girl, because the one i normally see is on vacation...and basically, i'm trying to grow my hair out now, it's just above my shoulders, and i told her i wanted a little trim, that's it, and she repeated back to me, 'oh ok, so just a trim, just the bare minimum?' and i said, yes.....and i think she cut like almost a whole inch, but i didn't notice this until she was finished in the back....it looks fine, but now it's even shorter, and totally defeated the purpose of me trying to grow my hair out...i should have just NOT had it cut at all..but i did want a little trim, because it keeps it healthy, and actually helps to make it grow faster (not sure if this is a myth or not)....but i mean, did she not listen to what i said? :no:

Yeah I dont understand why they dont listen properly a lot of the time, especially with something as important as someones hair.

I gotta agree with my girl Arklove too - you gotta be specific.

Also you might wanna be careful now that you have dyed it a few times in such a short time period – you might end up being really brassy – and burning your hair – give it a week or two to recover.

Also when you go in the style of highlights you want is called Chunking. So when you go back yout ell them you want Chunking highlights and they should know what you mean... if they don’t then go to someone who does.

I hope that helps!

also just to add...make sure they KNOW that your hair was suppose to be foiled..NOT cap highlighted...big difference in the outcome. My daughter had cap before and her hair was heavily highlighted..but...a while later she had foils....foils are more specific as to where the highlighs will be.

Chunking eh? Thanks for the advice, that word didnt pop up once when I was searching google for advice :\ But now i've seached it and it sounds about right for what I want.

My only problem now is whether or not they will dye it brown in the salon before putting in the blonde highlights. I really dont want to have to go out and dye it brown again before I go back.

Ok, you may be expecting me to be a female member now. Truth is, im a 19 year old male.

Anyway now thats out of the way, I have allways had this obesseion with the colour of my hair. It hasnt been its natural colour for about 4 years now.

My natural colour is mousey brown, but for the majority of the past 4 years it has been blonde all over.

For the last few months I have gone through a phase of having it brown, however it kept turning a gingerish colour after about a week everytime I dyed it brown.

So I thought I would go for having blonde highlights put over the brown covering most of my head.

I went to the salon to get it done but she obviously didnt listen properly or something because I came out with thin blonde strands in random areas over my head so I wasnt exactly pleased.

Now heres is the tricky part, I tried to add more myself but it ended up kind of blotchy then.

So I have been constantly trying to correct it ever since purchasing all different dyes. Now it is like a yellowsih blonde all over and im still not happy with it and im wasting all my money on dye. Not to mention the fact its REALLY bad for my hair.

I think im going insane, if the hairdressers had just done it right in the first place I wouldnt be in the mess. Its driving me nuts.

Any advice?

Dear L.T.D.,
I have been a licensed managing Cosmetologist since 1980. Specializing in the art of color across the board...

From what you have posted...in my professional opinion;

Corrective Color 101

Anytime one desires to go from blonde to brown the corrective color technique would be a two step process...fill the blonde hair with a red filler color to help keep the desired color from sliding (washing off) the cuticle layer and assist in the penetration of the cortex layer of the hair strand (s). Follow with applying desired "brown/darker" desired hair color.

Source: Susie's Credential's

To explain in a more in-depth corrective color process I pulled this off a website called blonde-ambition.com

The bleaching process has gotten rid of all the red tones in your hair. Simply applying a brown dye over the top may result is some seriously undesireable results. Ash Browns in particular have underlying greens and blue tones in them, very little red. So applying this to a hair colour which is yellow ? At worst Green, or at best a very flat ashy looking color which may look very strange in certain lights.

You took all the red tones out, so now it's time to put them back in again. You should choose a very warm golden blonde, or really red shade and apply to you hair. This should be left on until you hair is completely red/ginger in color, probably a good 25 to 30 mins. This is called applying a 'filler' shade.

Once your hair is really red/ginger, it's time again to reapply a medium brown color over the top of this. Start with a brown shade that is not too dark in color, as it is always easier to go a shade or two darker later than it is to end up with hair thats far too dark and having to wait until it fades or grows out. Again, avoid shades which have lots of red tones in them. You don't need them now. The result (fingers crossed !) should be a nice even brown shade.

Source: blonde-ambition.com

Therefore,

As far as your hair stylist, if a client is not happy with their desired results it is important to let your stylist know within the first couple of days that you are unhappy in order to give the stylist the opportunity to correct the undesirable result.

The standard in the Industry/Business World;

Once a client, applies additional color etc. the contract between the two is now null and void.

Hope this helps...

As Always

:angel:

Dear L.T.D.,
I have been a licensed managing Cosmetologist since 1980. Specializing in the art of color across the board...

From what you have posted...in my professional opinion;

Corrective Color 101

Anytime one desires to go from blonde to brown the corrective color technique would be a two step process...fill the blonde hair with a red filler color to help keep the desired color from sliding (washing off) the cuticle layer and assist in the penetration of the cortex layer of the hair strand (s). Follow with applying desired "brown/darker" desired hair color.

Source: Susie's Credential's

To explain in a more in-depth corrective color process I pulled this off a website called blonde-ambition.com

The bleaching process has gotten rid of all the red tones in your hair. Simply applying a brown dye over the top may result is some seriously undesireable results. Ash Browns in particular have underlying greens and blue tones in them, very little red. So applying this to a hair colour which is yellow ? At worst Green, or at best a very flat ashy looking color which may look very strange in certain lights.

You took all the red tones out, so now it's time to put them back in again. You should choose a very warm golden blonde, or really red shade and apply to you hair. This should be left on until you hair is completely red/ginger in color, probably a good 25 to 30 mins. This is called applying a 'filler' shade.

Once your hair is really red/ginger, it's time again to reapply a medium brown color over the top of this. Start with a brown shade that is not too dark in color, as it is always easier to go a shade or two darker later than it is to end up with hair thats far too dark and having to wait until it fades or grows out. Again, avoid shades which have lots of red tones in them. You don't need them now. The result (fingers crossed !) should be a nice even brown shade.

Source: blonde-ambition.com

Therefore,

As far as your hair stylist, if a client is not happy with their desired results it is important to let your stylist know within the first couple of days that you are unhappy in order to give the stylist the opportunity to correct the undesirable result.

The standard in the Industry/Business World;

Once a client, applies additional color etc. the contract between the two is now null and void.

Hope this helps...

As Always

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Very helpful.

Ok now my problem is, I dyed it back brown in preparation for getting my highlights done again in the salon. Its an ok colour, but because I dyed brown over light blonde, its kind of brown with bits of a weird blondish colour coming through.

Now my hair is bone dry and literally breaking off. Like I can very easily just pull bits of hair off. Ive dyed it so much to corret previous dye jobs that I have just killed my hair.

On top of that is the fact im going to get the highlights done tomorrow and my hair is already quite damaged. Considering it is being done in a salon, it wont make it much worse will it?

I just want my hair how I want it so then I can start on trying to fix the problem of it breaking off. I'm not joking, this is really starting to stress me out. I dont know what to do.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Very helpful.

Ok now my problem is, I dyed it back brown in preparation for getting my highlights done again in the salon. Its an ok colour, but because I dyed brown over light blonde, its kind of brown with bits of a weird blondish colour coming through.

Now my hair is bone dry and literally breaking off. Like I can very easily just pull bits of hair off. Ive dyed it so much to corret previous dye jobs that I have just killed my hair.

On top of that is the fact im going to get the highlights done tomorrow and my hair is already quite damaged. Considering it is being done in a salon, it wont make it much worse will it?

I just want my hair how I want it so then I can start on trying to fix the problem of it breaking off. I'm not joking, this is really starting to stress me out. I dont know what to do.

Your very welcome...

In my proffessional opinion...if your hair is already breaking off (before) you get the highlights back in again...I feel that you should give your hair a rest, and deep condition for a few weeks...Must build back the nutrients to minimise breakage and get your hair back in shape before I would put any more chemicals on it...

As Always

Your very welcome...

In my proffessional opinion...if your hair is already breaking off (before) you get the highlights back in again...I feel that you should give your hair a rest, and deep condition for a few weeks...Must build back the nutrients to minimise breakage and get your hair back in shape before I would put any more chemicals on it...

As Always

Can I not get away with just having the highlights put in tomorrow and then start the recovery process from then? Starting with maybe a deep conditioning treatment right after having the highlights put in?

I would really like to get these highlights put in before I give my hair a rest as the reason I have dyed it so much is to achieve this look.......now I have to stop without achieving it.

You can all rest easy now! I am happy with my hair colour now and although it is still quite dry, I had a deep conditioning treatment done and had a little trim. So my hair is fine now.

Tonight you will all have your first good night sleep in days with the knowledge that my hair is now fine :)

You can all rest easy now! I am happy with my hair colour now and although it is still quite dry, I had a deep conditioning treatment done and had a little trim. So my hair is fine now.

Tonight you will all have your first good night sleep in days with the knowledge that my hair is now fine :)

:punk: Please keep restoring the nutrients...your hair will thank you for it~~~

Smiles~~~

As Always

Back