Heartbreak Hotel or This Place Hotel?

What do you call the song?

• Heartbreak Hotel

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • This Place Hotel

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
I always call it Heartbreak Hotel. I don't get the big fuss about making everybody call it This Place Hotel. Songs that share titles DO exist....I mean, "Hold On" by Kansas, "Hold On" by Yngwie Malmsteens Rising Force, "Hold On" by Wilson-Philips...all different songs, just same names.

How many songs are called The Power Of Love?

U2 had Bad before MJ did too. And it wasn't like it wasn't well known. It was one of the standout songs of the day during Live Aid.

Absolutely, absolutely incredible performance.

I always call it Heartbreak Hotel.

I suppose I can somewhat understand their hesitance to give it the same name as Elvis' song, given it was really big song back in the 1950s. It was also the first song since Elvis' to be given the same name. They probably worried everyone would think it's a cover of Elvis' song but in reality, I imagine everyone would realise pretty quickly it's different :)

Zero point getting annoyed at Elvis as some people have hahaha, both songs are good (although I def. prefer the Jackson version). Have songs been officially renamed in the past? (My minds drawing a blank but I imagine there is). Would it be possible for the Estate to do so?

Heartbreak Hotel but it's not something that's ever bothered me if I'm being honest. I think I've called it This Place.... once or twice.

Heartbreak Hotel but it's not something that's ever bothered me if I'm being honest. I think I've called it This Place.... once or twice.
Which do you want this time, the whip or the wooden spoon?

Last edited:
Zero point getting annoyed at Elvis as some people have hahaha, both songs are good (although I def. prefer the Jackson version). Have songs been officially renamed in the past? (My minds drawing a blank but I imagine there is). Would it be possible for the Estate to do so?
Now that's a petition I would gladly sign. The title "This Place Hotel" was always ridiculous.

Songs with the title Heartbreak Hotel. All different songs, none is a cover.

Elvis Presley – 1956

[video=youtube;e9BLw4W5KU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BLw4W5KU8[/video]

The Jacksons – 1980

[video=youtube;N6XWMNhpi5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6XWMNhpi5M[/video]

C.C. Catch – 1986

[video=youtube;DteIcZ1A-VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DteIcZ1A-VM[/video]

Whitney Houston (featuring Faith Evans and Kelly Price) – 1998

[video=youtube;xEmdW3_bi4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEmdW3_bi4c[/video]

I prefer This Place Hotel. I'd give people the side eye that said the Jacksons "stole" the name of Elvis' song. They shut up when I told them Elvis never composed any songs to steal, plus the Jacksons were talented enough to write their own songs.

I prefer This Place Hotel. I'd give people the side eye that said the Jacksons "stole" the name of Elvis' song. They shut up when I told them Elvis never composed any songs to steal, plus the Jacksons were talented enough to write their own songs.

giphy.gif

People actually say that? That's so stupid...

The chains! :D

@ Tony R, I reached a new low? :D

Yeah, something I never thought was possible ;)

Here's a question. I say that Heartbreak Hotel is his best song outside his solo material. i.e. The best song out of the whole J5 or Jacksons back catalogue.

Agree?

Yeah, something I never thought was possible ;)

Here's a question. I say that Heartbreak Hotel is his best song outside his solo material. i.e. The best song out of the whole J5 or Jacksons back catalogue.

Agree?
As in songs he wrote or co wrote?

I don't have a definitive favourite. I love so many, what about Things I Do For You, Shake Your Body, Lovely One, Can You Feel It, Be Not Always and the all the amazing J5 tracks?! Your so stupid Tony R! I'm not playing with you any more because your silly!

As in songs he wrote or co wrote?

I don't have a definitive favourite. I love so many, what about Things I Do For You, Shake Your Body, Lovely One, Can You Feel It, Be Not Always and the all the amazing J5 tracks?! Your so stupid Tony R! I'm not playing with you any more because your silly!

Meanie.

I meant his work in general. But yes, I think this was his first really great written song.

Frigging brilliant. I can move out of Heartbreak Hotel now...

.....or can I???
You can, if and only if you can shake your body down to the ground! And don't ever push me away again! Can you feel it? And please Mr R, be not always a dick, yeah?! Thanks. Pack your bags and get the hell out of that place, hotel, and just enjoy yourself for gawd sake!

Even though it's on a Jackson's album, I consider Heartbreak Hotel to be a Michael Jackson song

Even though it's on a Jackson's album, I consider Heartbreak Hotel to be a Michael Jackson song

This, State of Shock and Lovely One are solo songs to me. MJ's backing vocals are all I hear in HH anyways.

Away back in 1985, Pat Benatar had a hit song called, "Invincible." It was a part of the soundtrack of the movie, "The Legend of Billie Jean." Restless teenager Billie Jean Davy (Helen Slater) and her brother, Binx (Christian Slater), dream of leaving oppressive Corpus Christi, Texas, for Vermont. When Binx's scooter is trashed by bully Hubie Pyatt (Barry Tubb), Billie Jean goes to ask Hubie's father (Richard Bradford) for $608 for repairs, only to have Mr. Pyatt try to rape her. As she flees, Binx finds Mr. Pyatt's gun and unintentionally shoots him. Billie Jean and her brother go on the run, becoming folk heroes in the process.

Michael Jackson's "Invincible" does not resemble the song, either. Just like "Heartbreak Hotel." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBfwWHSmb8
Music is definitely universal.

Back