HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

Visually I think his most enticing tour was Dangerous. You could see that from space

HIStory Tour was a masterclass of dance, everything was so precise

HIStory Tour was a masterclass of dance, everything was so precise

And BAD Tour was a masterclass of dance AND live vocals

No. They can release it on Blu-Ray/DVD but not in cinemas. I wouldn't be angry if they did but I would prefer any other tour.

If HIStory Tour is released to cinemas, people will come away from it thinking Michael was a lip sync artist who couldn't sing live. A low key DVD/Blu Ray release is fine, but a cinemas release? No, just no

And BAD Tour was a masterclass of dance AND live vocals

Vocals at it's peak in 1987/88' but his dancing peak was in the mid 1990's.

Absolutely! Can't wait..

In my opinion they can release it but only if they release any other tour first. If Bad Tour can be released in HD then it absolutely needs to be it.

Been through all this before, quite passionately.

If they didn't release Bad at theatres which is MJ at his peak and shows that the man was a genius, then they shouldn't show a singer not singing for 95% of his concert.

Yes the dancing is great, but I don't want to see a concert that is effectively someone behind a curtain playing his greatest hits.

How can anyone watch something like this and not cringe?

This is embarrassing

I think it should be released in Theaters, it is Michael's most visually enticing tour and i think it holds great entertainment value.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...el-jacksons-gold-pants-30705549-1707-2560.jpg http://www.mtv.co.uk/sites/default/files/migrated/2009/05/27/2750850.jpg

Bravo! I agree with this statement 100%. It's about entertainment. Not just about vocal abilities and live singing. If people want that they can go to opera or Adele concert. If they want to be entertained for 2 hours they go to cinema. Batman, Superman, Spiderman & The Avengers proves that. Those movies made billions because they are entertaining. Nobody questioned if they are really superheroes or they just pretended to be ones.

Also it will not be live show. It will be a cinema spectacle. In 3D!

Also for the people who talk about lip syncing all the time: Do you guys know that music videos/short films are also lip synched? Are you watching MJ videos or are you against them also because they are not live vocals?

HIStory Tour (and many other MJ performances) were visual spectacles, pure entertainment not Mariah Carey concerts where people sit on their chairs and admire how can she hit those high notes. This is MJ show - that's how he was doing it. Deal with it. If he wanted to stand on the stage and sing live - he could have done that. But he decided not to, he decided to give the fans the best 2 hours of their lives (at least what he thought would be the best 2 hours of their lives). It's part of HIS story and significant part of history that should be celebrated, not ashamed of!

Bravo! I agree with this statement 100%. It's about entertainment. Not just about vocal abilities and live singing. If people want that they can go to opera or Adele concert. If the want to be entertained for 2 hours they go to cinema. Batman, Superman, Spiderman & The Avengers proves that. Those movies made billions because they are entertaining. Nobody questioned if they are really superheroes or they just pretended to be ones.

Also for the people who talk about lip syncing all the time: Do you guys know that music videos/short films are also lip synched? Are you watching MJ videos or are you against them also because they are not live vocals?

HIStory Tour (and many other MJ performances) were visual spectacles, pure entertainment not Mariah Carey concerts where people sit on their chairs and admire how can she hit those high notes. This is MJ show - that's how he was doing it. Deal with it. If he wanted to stand on the stage and sing live - he could have done that. But he decided not to, he decided to give the fans the best 2 hours of their lives (at least what he thought would be the best 2 hours of their life). It's part of HIS story and significant part of history that should be celebrated, not ashamed of!

There's no need to ignore Michael's talents as a vocalist just to make HIStory Tour look better. His singing is just as important as his dancing

It's about entertainment. Not just about vocal abilities and live singing. If people want that they can go to opera or Adele concert.

Or....if you want to see someone who just performs & doesn't sing then go and see Britney Spears.

Vocals at it's peak in 1987/88' but his dancing peak was in the mid 1990's.

Live vocals, not vocals in general in my opinion. His vocals became better and better with age in my opinion. He sounded brilliant on Invincible and Invincible outtakes. He prefered not to sing live because of the dancing and complex choreography but imagine if he stand on the stage like he's standing in the vocal booth and killed it. Don't forget that HIStory Tour was 1997 and Blue Gansgsta is 1998. His voice was probably just as great on HIStory Tour (while he was not sick of course).

There's no need to ignore Michael's talents as a vocalist just to make HIStory Tour look better. His singing is just as important as his dancing

Yeah, but it was his decision to "ignore it". Not mine or yours. Accept it and move on. You can't change history.

How can anyone watch something like this and not cringe?

This is embarrassing
I haven't watched this all the way through in a long time. Is that last bit lip synched? It doesn't seem to be.

I personally think everybody who went to and remembers the spectacle and magic of the HIStory tour want it but I don't think what they remember will come across on the big screen.
Live theatre and film are such totally different mediums. What works great on stage doesn't just automatically transfer over to film.

Last edited:

Yeah, but it was his decision to "ignore it". Not mine or yours. Accept it and move on. You can't change history.

That still doesn't mean that it should be released to cinemas

Last edited:

Or....if you want to see someone who just performs & doesn't sing then go and see Britney Spears.

I don't care about her. But if I was her fan and she put out a great show like Michael did (which she doesn't!! - because she doesn't have money or talent to do it) I wouldn't mind. Like I said, I go to cinema to watch people pretending to be cyborgs and superheroes. They fly and do all kind of supernatural things.

Live vocals, not vocals in general in my opinion. His vocals became better and better with age in my opinion. He sounded brilliant on Invincible and Invincible outtakes. He prefered not to sing live because of the dancing and complex choreography but imagine if he stand on the stage like he's standing in the vocal booth and killed it. Don't forget that HIStory Tour was 1997 and Blue Gansgsta is 1998. His voice was probably just as great on HIStory Tour (while he was not sick of course).

How can you even compare album vocals to live vocals? Also, you just admitted that Michael was sick during the HIStory Tour. Why the hell would you want a tour released where Michael was sick. Wouldn't you rather a tour where he was healthy and at his best?

I haven't watched this all the way through in a long time. Is that last bit lip synched? It doesn't seem to be.

I think everybody who went to and remembers the spectacle and magic of the HIStory tour want it but I don't think what they remember will come across on the big screen.
Live theatre and film are such totally different mediums. What works great on stage doesn't just automatically transfer over to film.

The lip syncing is beyond obvious. Especially when the live vocals come in at 4:48

That doesn't mean that it would be released to cinemas

By MJ himself? Yeah, I agree about that. But a lot of thing MJ would not do that we all now enjoy (This Is It movie, unreleased songs...). He's gone and we should all deal with it and accept the best things that's out there that can be delivered to us in the best possible way.

I doubt MJ would release any of his past tours in cinema. Not even Bad or Victory. And I'm sure you would like that to happen.

Just because you want to see it is very selfish IMO. People need to look at the bigger picture. Like how will this effect Michael's reputation as a live act. It's not always about what we want. It's about what's best for Michael

People will come away from it thinking he's a good dancer (but who doesn't already know that?) but they'll tear him to shreads because of the lip syncing

Bravo! I agree with this statement 100%. It's about entertainment. Not just about vocal abilities and live singing. If people want that they can go to opera or Adele concert. If they want to be entertained for 2 hours they go to cinema. Batman, Superman, Spiderman & The Avengers proves that. Those movies made billions because they are entertaining. Nobody questioned if they are really superheroes or they just pretended to be ones.

HIStory Tour (and many other MJ performances) were visual spectacles, pure entertainment not Mariah Carey concerts where people sit on their chairs and admire how can she hit those high notes. This is MJ show - that's how he was doing it. Deal with it. If he wanted to stand on the stage and sing live - he could have done that. But he decided not to, he decided to give the fans the best 2 hours of their lives (at least what he thought would be the best 2 hours of their lives). It's part of HIS story and significant part of history that should be celebrated, not ashamed of!

You're comparing music videos to a live performance? This has to be the weakest argument I've ever heard

Just because you want to see it is very selfish IMO. People need to look at the bigger picture. Like how will this effect Michael's reputation as a live act. It's not always about what we want. It's about what's best for Michael

People will come away from it thinking he's a good dancer (but who doesn't already know that?) but they'll tear him to shreads because of the lip syncing

It's very selfish to request anything, there's actually a chance that the HIStory World Tour will be the next concert release. And the simple fact is because it's never been released before, yes it doesn't have live vocals. But that doesn't mean we're ignoring his vocal ability to big up anything. He crafted the best show possible, he didn't want to let any of his fans down. I'd rather focus on his dancing than hearing him struggle with singing for example Seoul & Munich.. not to mention full out. We've had this argue before, facts have been written. Opinions have crossed path's, it's the same thing just different threads.

How can you even compare album vocals to live vocals?

Why not? What's the difference? I said: "if he stand on the stage like he's standing in the vocal booth". Like Whitney or Mariah were doing it and how Adele is doing it now. How the opera singers are doing it, like Luciano Pavarotti was doing it. Like that. I'm sure there would be minimal differences between his studio and live vocals in terms of quality.

Also, you just admitted that Michael was sick during the HIStory Tour.

Yeah, but not for full year and a half (September 7, 1996 - October 15, 1997). That is bullsh*t. He just prefered not to sing live because he knew that he's not that young anymore to do both singing and dancing at the same time and sound as perfect as he did when he was 20 or 25.

Was he sick during Smooth Criminal and Man In The Mirror every single night during the Bad Tour? Was he sick during Jam, Will You Be There, Black Or White & Man In The Mirror every single night during the Dangerous Tour? Was he sick during Motown 25 Billie Jean performance? Was he sick during every single TV performance he ever did? Was he sick during solo part of 30th anniversary show? How about during Superbowl? The list goes on.. It's just the way he prefered to do it in the 90's and even in the '80 sometimes.

Wouldn't you rather a tour where he was healthy and at his best?

I would rather blu-ray and HD quality material played in the cinemas over 25 years old very poor quality cartoon-like VHS played anywhere. As it's been said million times, they obviously don't have other shows or other tours in such quality.

^^ Exactly, they should hold off on another BAD Tour release until they have all of the film negatives that were shot, like the old saying goes.. save the best until last! and 2K/4K transfers are DEFINITELY worth waiting for, so i don't think we should complain.

What? Me selfish? You are extremely selfish and even arrogant for saying this. If you don't like it, just don't go see it. Let others enjoy it. Not just me, but millions of other fans and tens of millions of regular people - just like we did with This Is It, although some songs were dubbed.

You're comparing music videos to a live performance? This has to be the weakest argument I've ever heard

Yeah, because it's like you said "live performance" or live entertainment, live spectacle. And not necessarily live vocal performance. A lot of his performances were actually reproductions of his videos on stage in front of the live audience (Smooth Criminal, The Way You Make Me Feel, Beat It, Thriller...).

Yeah, but not for full year and a half (September 7, 1996 - October 15, 1997). That is bullsh*t. He just prefered not to sing live because he knew that he's not that young anymore to do both singing and dancing at the same time and sound as perfect as he did when he was 20 or 25.

People wont care about his age. All they'll see is someone obviously lip syncing 90% of a concert, and they'll tear him apart for it.

Was he sick during Smooth Criminal and Man In The Mirror every single night during the Bad Tour? Was he sick during Jam, Will You Be There, Black Or White & Man In The Mirror every single night during the Dangerous Tour? Was he sick during Motown 25 Billie Jean performance? Was he sick during every single TV performance he ever did? Was he sick during solo part of 30th anniversary show? How about during Superbowl? The list goes on.. It's just the way he prefered to do it in the 90's and even in the '80 sometimes.

BAD Tour and Dangerous tour still had enough live vocals in them. Also the lip synced vocals on the BAD Tour wasn't as noticeable as the HIStory Tour, because on the BAD Tour his live vocals and album vocals matched pretty well. Also one off TV performance like Motown 25 and the superbowl don't count, because they were one off TV performances. And the 30th anniversary concerts? He looked really sick there

I would rather blu-ray and HD quality material played in the cinemas over 25 years old very poor quality cartoon-like VHS played anywhere. As it's been said million times, they obviously don't have other shows or other tours in such quality.

So you like HIStory Tour more just because it's in HD? That's very shallow

Last edited:
Back