How successful were The Jacksons

yaazgurl

Proud Member
I've always considered the Jacksons as the first family of music collectively and there's no question the amount of success Michael and Janet had but after Jermaine left the group how succesful were The Jacksons compared to other R&B groups? As sucessful as an Earth WWind and Fire or Lakeside or Gap Band?

The group had the same problems as many other early 70s/late 60s act did in that period. The group was only able to carry on to the early 80 mid 80s due to Michael's enormous popularity and his rising star. We shouldn't fool ourselves after 1983 things were never the same, Jermaine rejoining the group, meant little to the folks as many were only there for Michael 'Billie Jean' 'Beat It' 'Thriller' Jackson.

Thanks twinklee. I didn't start to regularly listen to secular music until Thriller came out but I remember being at a friends home and seeing the Triumph album hearing the name Jacksons and hearing Can You Feel It over and over. I'm surprised to learn that song received no special recognition in the industry. Its one of my favorite Jackson songs. I know after Thriller Michael was the real interest for many but beforeM also I think what may have sealed the deal on him not wanting to do more projects was the experience of the Victory tour and album.T
The group had the same problems as many other early 70s/late 60s act did in that period. The group was only able to carry on to the early 80 mid 80s due to Michael's enormous popularity and his rising star. We shouldn't fool ourselves after 1983 things were never the same, Jermaine rejoining the group, meant little to the folks as many were only there for Michael 'Billie Jean' 'Beat It' 'Thriller' Jackson.

I'm surprised to learn that song received no special recognition in the industry. Its one of my favorite Jackson songs.

You have to remember The Jacksons were considered a R&B group and in the US, that meant no pop airplay during that time and R&B wasn't on the mainstream (white) radar. If you look at the Triumph tour footage, the audience was mostly black, but that is not the case with the Victory tour, which is post Thriller. But on R&B radio they were about the same as the Isleys, O'Jays, Gap Band, Teddy Pendergrass, and other acts of the time. After the "Disco Sucks" campaign, black performers were rarely played on Top 40 radio in the US as they were considered disco. During the early 80's, pop radio played acts like Christopher Cross, Air Supply, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Billy Joel, etc. This is the main reason that The Girl Is Mine was released as a single before the Thriller album was released. Having Paul McCartney (who was still really popular at the time and is white) on the song helped it get airplay on the segregated Top 40. If Mike sang the duet with Teddy Pendergrass or Peabo Bryson (or released one of the other songs 1st), it had little chance of crossing over. The style of the song also fit in with the light rock and pop that was the big thing during that time.

but I remember being at a friends home and seeing the Triumph album hearing the name Jacksons and hearing Can You Feel It over and over. I'm surprised to learn that song received no special recognition in the industry.

Yes. Especially that it's a classic since and it has been sampled and re-made so many times!

But DuranDuran explained it well why it wasn't the hit it would have deserved to be in its time.

Thanks Duran Duran that is the info I was looking for who were their level of peers in terms of success in R&B because I don't judge success simply by being played on pop radio. I wanted to know if Jacksons are mentioned in same vein as those groups because I only hear props given to J5. So sorry I missed Triumph tour because I hear it was amazing although Victory was a lot of fun for me too.

You have to remember The Jacksons were considered a R&B group and in the US, that meant no pop airplay during that time and R&B wasn't on the mainstream (white) radar. If you look at the Triumph tour footage, the audience was mostly black, but that is not the case with the Victory tour, which is post Thriller. But on R&B radio they were about the same as the Isleys, O'Jays, Gap Band, Teddy Pendergrass, and other acts of the time. After the "Disco Sucks" campaign, black performers were rarely played on Top 40 radio in the US as they were considered disco. During the early 80's, pop radio played acts like Christopher Cross, Air Supply, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Billy Joel, etc. This is the main reason that The Girl Is Mine was released as a single before the Thriller album was released. Having Paul McCartney (who was still really popular at the time and is white) on the song helped it get airplay on the segregated Top 40. If Mike sang the duet with Teddy Pendergrass or Peabo Bryson (or released one of the other songs 1st), it had little chance of crossing over. The style of the song also fit in with the light rock and pop that was the big thing during that time.

Jermaine rejoining the group, meant little to the folks as many were only there for Michael 'Billie Jean' 'Beat It' 'Thriller' Jackson.

So when Jermaine "rejoined" the group, was Michael still a part of the group? Or was he on his way out of the group?

When they recorded 2300 Jackson Street, was Michael still a part of the group, or did he just make an appearance in order to help his brothers out?

MJ was probably on his way out but did the Victory tour and album.
So when Jermaine "rejoined" the group, was Michael still a part of the group? Or was he on his way out of the group?

When they recorded 2300 Jackson Street, was Michael still a part of the group, or did he just make an appearance in order to help his brothers out?

MJ was probably on his way out but did the Victory tour and album.

Oh okay, thanks!

My question would be: I wonder how different it would be today, IF the brothers had decided to move ahead WITHOUT Michael way back then. Just change it up to be a 4 man group, and recording music to fit who they were without Michael.

It's a shame that they wasted all of that time, I believe that they could have had a "reasonable" amount of success, I don't think they would have been huge, but so what, I think they could have been "comfortable" just the same.

Oh okay, thanks!

My question would be: I wonder how different it would be today, IF the brothers had decided to move ahead WITHOUT Michael way back then. Just change it up to be a 4 man group, and recording music to fit who they were without Michael.

It's a shame that they wasted all of that time, I believe that they could have had a "reasonable" amount of success, I don't think they would have been huge, but so what, I think they could have been "comfortable" just the same.

Sony didn't even really bother to do much with the 2300 Jackson Street album, even though it was said that Mike asked them to. A few of the songs did get R&B airplay though. I wonder if Dangerous would have been different had not Mike had not participated on the title track since it was produced by Teddy Riley. He produced She on that album also. Randy released a solo album with his group The Gypsys at the same time of the group album, and that didn't really do that well.

He was on his way out, also to add Marlon left with Michael but all of us know how far his career went.
No, Michael was not part of the group in 1989 nor was Marlon btw, Michael was again bothered by Katherine and Co to at least appear in the 2300 video and do some backing vocals. 2300 Jackson Street was their 'first' and only project without Michael, it didn't do well only a little more than a handful of folks were interested in them. Around the same time Michael was occupied with the Bad tour btw.

Sony didn't even really bother to do much with the 2300 Jackson Street album, even though it was said that Mike asked them to. A few of the songs did get R&B airplay though. I wonder if Dangerous would have been different had not Mike had not participated on the title track since it was produced by Teddy Riley. He produced She on that album also. Randy released a solo album with his group The Gypsys at the same time of the group album, and that didn't really do that well.
I still get chills from remembering that tacky 'Love you honey' video.

I still get chills from remembering that tacky 'Love you honey' video.
It's no different than the average R&B/New Jack Swing videos of the time. If you had BET and watched Video Soul, Randy's videos were just like the rest. Some dance and pop music videos were like that too, it was just the style then. Probably were using the same directors. :D

It's no different than the average R&B/New Jack Swing videos of the time. If you had BET and watched Video Soul, Randy's videos were just like the rest. Some dance and pop music videos were like that too, it was just the style then. Probably were using the same directors. :D
I know that it wasnt any different from the rest of the videos.. that is what makes me appreciate Michael's vision creative genius even more. Compare his videos to those of that time and he was always Miles ahead of the rest of the junk.

I know that it wasnt any different from the rest of the videos.. that is what makes me appreciate Michael's vision creative genius even more. Compare his videos to those of that time and he was always Miles ahead of the rest of the junk.
Mike's vision is not relevant. Not everybody has a lot of money to spend making music videos. Many acts (especially veterans like Aretha Franklin) didn't even want to make music videos and just did so because the record label said they had to for MTV airplay. The record companies pays the money to make most acts videos, and they're not going to spend the big money. Then they charge the video budget to the performer anyway from their royalties to keep them in debt to the label. Mike spent his own money to make videos, not CBS or Sony. If Mike was depending on the label to fund his videos, they would have been like the rest. Look at early videos like Rock With You and She's Out Of My Life, there was nothing special about them.

Oh okay, thanks!

With Mj they're great but they're nothing without Mj, if Mj stayed they would've been a weight around his neck.

The jacksons were/are successful enough to be regconize as one of the best selling artis of all time even though it include the music from the 60's thru the 90's, some with mj and some without mj the jacksons recieved the BMI award 2008 cause of there success.
The jacksons #71 janet #72 mj#4
The Beatles

Bing Crosby
http://www.mp3free4all.com/best_selling_music_artists.htm

Michael Jackson

Elvis Presley

Frank Sinatra

The world's best-selling music artists cannot be listed officially, as there is no organization
that has recorded global music sales in the manner that the RIAA does in the United States. This page lists
those artists who have had claims made to be among the top sellers. Within their sales brackets, artists
are listed in alphabetical order, rather than by number of records sold. Equal weight is given to album
and single sales, as well as paid downloads. Sources are typically fan sites, record labels, newspaper
articles or manual addition of figures from various official sources. This means that these figures should
be considered claims, not facts.

Main article: Best-selling music artist

The best-selling musical act in history can not be accurately determined. U.S. sales data before 1952 are
incomplete. International sales, particularly in the developing world, continue to be poorly tracked, and
sales data before the 1980s is rare or dubious. The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Elvis Presley have all
been given the title by various sources. Claims are made for a number of less common artists.

Artists Reputed Sales

500 million records or more
Artist Country Period Genre Source
The Beatles UK 60s-70s Rock / Arena Rock / Pop / Psychedelic Rock [1] [2]
Bing Crosby U.S. 20s-70s Jazz / Swing / Vocal / Easy Listening / Pop [3]
Michael Jackson U.S. 60s-00s Pop / New Jack Swing / R&B / Rock / Funk / Disco / Gospel [4]
Elvis Presley U.S. 50s-70s Rock / R&B / Gospel / Blues / Rockabilly / Pop / Country [5]
Frank Sinatra U.S. 30s-90s Pop / Easy Listening / Vocal / Jazz / Swing [6]

250 million records or more

ABBA Sweden 70s-80s Pop / Disco [7] [8]
Alla Pugacheva Soviet Union 60s-00s Russian pop [9]
Cliff Richard UK 50s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [10]
Elton John UK 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [11]
Julio Iglesias Spain 60s-00s Latin Pop [12]
Mariah Carey U.S. 90s-00s R&B / Pop [13]
Led Zeppelin UK 60s-80s Hard Rock / Blues Rock / Heavy Metal / Folk Rock [14]
Madonna U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Dance / Electronica [15]
Nana Mouskouri Greece 50s-00s Pop / Folk / Jazz [16]
Pink Floyd UK 60s-90s Progressive Rock / Psychedelic Rock / Art Rock / Hard Rock [17][18][19]
Queen UK 70s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Rock / Heavy Metal [20]
Tino Rossi France 30s-80s Swing [21]

100 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source A. R. Rahman India 90s-00s Film score / Soundtrack [22] Aretha Franklin U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Soul AC/DC Australia 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [23][24] Aerosmith U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [25] Backstreet Boys U.S. 90s-00s Pop / Rock / R&B / Soul [26][27] Barbra Streisand U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Adult Contemporary / Classical / Easy listening / Showtunes [28] Barry White U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B [29] The Beach Boys U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Pop [30] The Bee Gees Australia/UK 60s-00s Pop / Disco / Adult Contemporary / Blues / Blue-eyed Soul [31] Billy Joel U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [32][33] Black Sabbath U.K. 60s-90s Heavy Metal [34] Bon Jovi U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Rock [35] Boney M Germany 70s-90s Pop / Disco [36] [37][38] Brenda Lee U.S. 50s-00s Country [39] Bruce Springsteen U.S. 70s-00s Rock [40] The Byrds UK 60s-00s Rock / Folk / Country The Carpenters U.S. 60s-80s Pop / Country / Adult Contemporary [41][42][43] Celine Dion Canada 80s-00s Pop / Chanson / Rock / Adult Contemporary [44] Charles Aznavour France 30s-00s Pop / Chanson [45] Cher U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Dance / Disco / Rock / Folk / Country / Adult Contemporany [46] Chicago U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues / Jazz / Adult Contemporary [47] Creedence Clearwater Revival U.S. 60s-70s Rock [48] Dalida France/Italy 50s-80s Pop / Disco [49] David Bowie UK 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Folk Rock / Glam Rock / Hard Rock / Soul / Funk / Dance / Electronica [50][51][52] David Pomeranz U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Deep Purple UK 60s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [53] Diana Ross U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Disco / Funk [54] Dionne Warwick U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Adult Contemporary [55] Dire Straits UK 70s-90s Rock [56] Dolly Parton U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Country / Folk / Bluegrass [57][58] Donna Summer U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Dance [59] Duane Eddy U.S. 50s-80s Rock [60] The Eagles U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Country [61] Engelbert Humperdinck UK/U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening / Vocal [62] Fats Domino U.S. 40s-00s Rock / R&B [63] Fleetwood Mac UK/U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues [64] Frankie Laine U.S. 40s-00s Jazz / Gospel / Country [65] Garth Brooks U.S. 80s-00s Country [66] Gene Autry U.S. 30s-70s Country [67] Genesis UK 60s-00s Progressive Rock / Pop Rock [68] Gheorghe Zamfir Romania 70s-00s Instrumental [69][70] Iron Maiden U.K. 80s-00s Heavy Metal / NWOBHM [71] The Jackson 5 U.S. 60s-90s Pop / Disco / Funk / R&B [72] Janet Jackson U.S. 80s-00s R&B / Soul / Dance / Pop [73] John Denver U.S. 60s-90s Folk / Pop / Country Johnny Hallyday France 50s-00s Traditional Pop [74] Johnny Mathis U.S. 50s-00s Jazz / Pop [75] Joni James U.S. 50s-60s Rock [76] Kenny Rogers U.S. 50s-00s Country / Pop [77][78] Lionel Richie U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Disco / Dance / Adult Contemporary [79] Luciano Pavarotti Italy 60s-00s Opera [80][81] Mireille Mathieu France 60s-00s Pop [82] Modern Talking Germany 80s-00s New Wave [83] Neil Diamond U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [84] Patti Page U.S. 40s-00s Country [85][86] Perry Como U.S. 30s-00s Pop / Swing / Easy Listening [87] Phil Collins UK 80s-00s Rock / Pop [88] Prince U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Funk / R&B / Rock / Soul [89] R. Kelly U.S. 90s-00s Pop R&B / Soul / New Jack Swing Ricky Nelson U.S. 50s-80s Pop [90] Roberto Carlos Brazil 60s-00s Latin [91] Rod Stewart UK 60s-00s Rock [92] The Rolling Stones UK 60s-00s Rock / Hard Rock / Arena Rock [93] Tina Turner U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Rock / Soul / Dance [94] Status Quo UK 60s-00s Rock [95] Stevie Wonder U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Disco / Soul / Funk [96][97] Tommy James U.S. 60s-00s Rock [98] U2 Ireland 70s-00s Rock [99] Wei Wei China 80s-00s Pop [100] Whitney Houston U.S. 80s-00s Pop / R&B / Adult Contemporary / Soul / Gospel / Dance [101] The Who UK 60s-00s Rock / Arena Rock / Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Art Rock [102]

75 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source Adamo Belgium 60s-00s Pop [103][104] Adriano Celentano Italy 60s-00s Pop [105] Alabama U.S. 70s-00s Country [106] Air Supply Australia/U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary The Andrews Sisters U.S. 30s-50s Swing [107] B'z Japan 80s-00s Rock / Hard Rock [108] Barry Manilow U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Easy Listening / Adult Contemporary [109] Bob Dylan U.S. 60s-00s Folk / Rock / Country [110][111] Bobby Vinton U.S. 60s-90s Pop [112] Bonnie Tyler UK 70s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [113] Britney Spears U.S. 90s-00s Pop [114] Bryan Adams Canada 80s-00s Rock / Pop / Adult Contemporary [115] Christina Aguilera U.S. 90s-00s Pop / Jazz / Latin / Hip-Hop [116] Depeche Mode UK 80s-00s New Wave / Synthpop / Alternative Dance [117][118] Donny Osmond U.S. 70s-00s Pop [119] Duran Duran UK 80s-00s Pop / New Wave [120] The Doors U.S. 60s-70s Rock [121] Earth, Wind & Fire U.S. 70s-00s Pop / R&B / Disco / Soul / Funk [122] Eddy Arnold U.S. 40s-00s Country [123] Eminem U.S. 90s-00s Hip-Hop [124] Eurythmics UK 80s-00s Pop / Rock / New Wave [125] Fairuz Lebanon 40s-00s Pop [126] Gene Austin U.S. 20s-30s Country [127] George Michael {and Wham!} UK 80s-00s Pop [128] Gloria Estefan U.S. 80s-00s Latin / Dance [129] Guns N' Roses U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Metal [130] Hank Snow Canada 30s-90s Country [131] Jean Michel Jarre France 70s-00s New Age [132] Journey U.S. 70s-00s Rock [133] Kenny G U.S. 80s-00s Instrumental / Jazz [134] Kiss U.S. 70s-00s Rock [135] Linda Ronstadt U.S. 60s-00s Country / Pop [136] Marvin Gaye U.S. 50s-80s Pop / R&B / Disco / Funk / Soul Metallica U.S. 80s-00s Heavy Metal / Thrash Metal / Hard Rock [137] Mina Italy 50s-00s Pop [138] Neil Young Canada/U.S 60s-00s Folk / Rock / Country Oasis UK 90s-00s Rock [139] The Osmonds U.S. 70s-00s Rock [140] R.E.M. U.S. 80s-00s Rock [141] Roxette Sweden 80s-00s Pop / Rock [142] Santana Mexico/U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues [143] Scorpions Germany 70s-00s Hard Rock [144] Sonny & Cher U.S. 60s-70s Pop / Rock [145] Shania Twain Canada 90s-00s Country / Pop [146] Van Halen U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock [147] The Ventures U.S. 50s-00s Instrumental Rock [148] Tupac Shakur U.S. 90s-00s Hip-Hop [149] Victor Silvester UK 30s-80s Dance [150] Willie Nelson U.S. 50s-00s Country [151] 50 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source a-ha Norway 80s-00s Pop / New Wave [152] Alanis Morissette Canada 90s-00s Alternative / Folk Rock [153] Alice Cooper U.S. 60s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Shock Rock / Glam Rock [154] Andre Kostelanetz U.S. 40s-70s Easy Listening [155] Andrea Bocelli Italy 90s-00s Opera / Classical [156] Anne Murray Canada 60s-00s Pop / Country [157] Annie Lennox UK 90s-00s Rock / Soul [158] Ayumi Hamasaki Japan 90s-00s Pop / Trance [159] B.J. Thomas U.S. 60s-00s Country [160] Blondie U.S. 70s-00s New Wave [161] Bob Marley Jamaica 60s-80s Reggae [162] Bob Seger U.S. 60s-00s Rock [163] Boyz II Men U.S. 80s-00s R&B / Soul [164] Camilo Sesto Spain 60s-00s Latin [165] Cat Stevens UK 60s-00s Folk / Pop [166] Charlie Daniels U.S. 70s-00s Country / Rock [167] The Corrs Ireland 90s-00s Rock [168] Culture Club UK 70s-00s Pop / New Wave / New Romantic Rock Def Leppard UK 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / NWOBHM [169] Destiny's Child U.S. 90s-00s Pop / R&B / Dance [170] The Diamonds Canada 50s-70s R&B [171] The Doobie Brothers U.S. 70s-00s Rock [172] Don Cornell U.S. 50s-90s Pop [173] Enya Ireland 80s-00s New Age / Celtic [174] Foreigner U.S./UK 70s-00s Rock / Arena Rock Four Tops U.S. 50s-00s R&B [175] George Strait U.S. 70s-00s Country [176] Green Day U.S. 90s-00s Rock / Punk / Alternative [177] Heino Germany 60s-00s Country [178] Hank Thompson U.S. 40s-00s Country [179] Herb Alpert U.S. 50s-90s Instrumental Pop / Easy Listening [180] James Brown U.S. 50s-00s Rock / Soul / Disco James Last Germany 60s-00s Instrumental / Classical [181] Jethro Tull UK 60s-00s Progressive Rock / Hard Rock /Rock [182] Jennifer Lopez U.S. 90s-00s Pop / R&B / Dance / Latin Johnny Cash U.S. 50s-00s Country [183] KC & The Sunshine Band U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Adult Contemporary Kenny Loggins U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Kylie Minogue Australia 80s-00s Pop / Dance [184] Kool & The Gang U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Disco / Soul / Funk / R&B Luis Miguel Mexico 80s-00s Latin [185] Linkin Park United States 90s-00s Rock / Metal / Hip-Hop [186] Little River Band Australia/U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary Meat Loaf U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Hard Rock [187] Michael Bolton U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Mills Brothers U.S. 30s-70s Pop [188] Mötley Crüe U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Glam Metal [189] The Monkees U.S. 60s-90s Pop / Rock [190] Mr. Children Japan 80s-00s Rock [191] Nat King Cole U.S. 30s-60s Jazz / Vocal / Pop [192] Nelson Gonçalves Brazil 40s-90s Samba [193] New Kids on the Block U.S. 80s-90s Pop [194] Nirvana U.S. 80s-90s Grunge / Alternative Rock [195] Oasis UK 90s-00s Rock [196] Olivia Newton-John Australia 70s-00s Country / Pop / Adult Contmporary Orhan Gencebay Turkey 60s-00s Arabesque / Folk [197] Paul Anka Canada 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening Paul Revere & The Raiders USA 60s-00s Pop [198] Pearl Jam U.S. 90s-00s Grunge / Rock / Hard Rock [199] Petula Clark UK 50s-00s Pop [200] The Dave Clark Five UK 60s-70s Rock [201] The Police UK 70s-80s, 00s Pop / New Wave / Rock [202][203] Raphael Spain 60s-00s Latin Ray Conniff U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening [204] Reba McEntire U.S. 70s-00s Country [205] Red Hot Chili Peppers U.S. 80s-00s Funk Rock / Alternative Rock [206] REO Speedwagon U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Arena Rock Richard Clayderman France 60s-00s Easy Listening / Instrumental Pop [207] Ricky Martin Puerto Rico 90s-00s Latin Pop / Dance [208] Rocío Dúrcal Spain 60s-00s Pop [209] Sade UK 80s-00s R&B [210] The Seekers Australia 60s, 90s-00s Folk / Rock [211] Shakira Colombia 90s-00s Latin / Pop [212] Simon & Garfunkel US 60s-70s Folk Rock [213][214] Simply Red UK 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [215] Spice Girls UK 90s-00s Pop / Dance / R&B [216] Supertramp UK 60s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary [217] The Supremes U.S. 60s-70s Pop / R&B / Soul Three Dog Night U.S. 60s-70s Rock [218] Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers U.S. 70s-00s Rock [219] Tony Bennett U.S. 50s-00s Jazz [220] The Turtles U.S. 60s Rock [221] UB40 UK 80s-00s Reggae [222] Vernon Dalhart U.S. 10s-40s Country [223] Vicky Leandros Greece 60s-00s Pop [224] ZZ Top U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock / Blues-Rock [225]

ksons success brought them a BMI award 2008.

blueocean;3176780 said:
The jacksons were/are successful enough to be regconize as one of the best selling artis of all time even though it include the music from the 60's thru the 90's, some with mj and some without mj the jacksons recieved the BMI award 2008 cause of there success.
The jacksons #71 janet #72 mj#4
The Beatles

Bing Crosby
http://www.mp3free4all.com/best_selling_music_artists.htm

Michael Jackson

Elvis Presley

Frank Sinatra

The world's best-selling music artists cannot be listed officially, as there is no organization
that has recorded global music sales in the manner that the RIAA does in the United States. This page lists
those artists who have had claims made to be among the top sellers. Within their sales brackets, artists
are listed in alphabetical order, rather than by number of records sold. Equal weight is given to album
and single sales, as well as paid downloads. Sources are typically fan sites, record labels, newspaper
articles or manual addition of figures from various official sources. This means that these figures should
be considered claims, not facts.

Main article: Best-selling music artist

The best-selling musical act in history can not be accurately determined. U.S. sales data before 1952 are
incomplete. International sales, particularly in the developing world, continue to be poorly tracked, and
sales data before the 1980s is rare or dubious. The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Elvis Presley have all
been given the title by various sources. Claims are made for a number of less common artists.

Artists Reputed Sales

500 million records or more
The Beatles UK 60s-70s Rock / Arena Rock / Pop / Psychedelic Rock [1] [2]
Bing Crosby U.S. 20s-70s Jazz / Swing / Vocal / Easy Listening / Pop [3]
Michael Jackson U.S. 60s-00s Pop / New Jack Swing / R&B / Rock / Funk / Disco / Gospel [4]
Elvis Presley U.S. 50s-70s Rock / R&B / Gospel / Blues / Rockabilly / Pop / Country [5]
Frank Sinatra U.S. 30s-90s Pop / Easy Listening / Vocal / Jazz / Swing [6]

250 million records or more

ABBA Sweden 70s-80s Pop / Disco [7] [8]
Alla Pugacheva Soviet Union 60s-00s Russian pop [9]
Cliff Richard UK 50s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [10]
Elton John UK 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [11]
Julio Iglesias Spain 60s-00s Latin Pop [12]
Mariah Carey U.S. 90s-00s R&B / Pop [13]
Led Zeppelin UK 60s-80s Hard Rock / Blues Rock / Heavy Metal / Folk Rock [14]
Madonna U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Dance / Electronica [15]
Nana Mouskouri Greece 50s-00s Pop / Folk / Jazz [16]
Pink Floyd UK 60s-90s Progressive Rock / Psychedelic Rock / Art Rock / Hard Rock [17][18][19]
Queen UK 70s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Rock / Heavy Metal [20]
Tino Rossi France 30s-80s Swing [21]

100 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source A. R. Rahman India 90s-00s Film score / Soundtrack [22] Aretha Franklin U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Soul AC/DC Australia 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [23][24] Aerosmith U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [25] Backstreet Boys U.S. 90s-00s Pop / Rock / R&B / Soul [26][27] Barbra Streisand U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Adult Contemporary / Classical / Easy listening / Showtunes [28] Barry White U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B [29] The Beach Boys U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Pop [30] The Bee Gees Australia/UK 60s-00s Pop / Disco / Adult Contemporary / Blues / Blue-eyed Soul [31] Billy Joel U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [32][33] Black Sabbath U.K. 60s-90s Heavy Metal [34] Bon Jovi U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Rock [35] Boney M Germany 70s-90s Pop / Disco [36] [37][38] Brenda Lee U.S. 50s-00s Country [39] Bruce Springsteen U.S. 70s-00s Rock [40] The Byrds UK 60s-00s Rock / Folk / Country The Carpenters U.S. 60s-80s Pop / Country / Adult Contemporary [41][42][43] Celine Dion Canada 80s-00s Pop / Chanson / Rock / Adult Contemporary [44] Charles Aznavour France 30s-00s Pop / Chanson [45] Cher U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Dance / Disco / Rock / Folk / Country / Adult Contemporany [46] Chicago U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues / Jazz / Adult Contemporary [47] Creedence Clearwater Revival U.S. 60s-70s Rock [48] Dalida France/Italy 50s-80s Pop / Disco [49] David Bowie UK 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Folk Rock / Glam Rock / Hard Rock / Soul / Funk / Dance / Electronica [50][51][52] David Pomeranz U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Deep Purple UK 60s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal [53] Diana Ross U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Disco / Funk [54] Dionne Warwick U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Adult Contemporary [55] Dire Straits UK 70s-90s Rock [56] Dolly Parton U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Country / Folk / Bluegrass [57][58] Donna Summer U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Dance [59] Duane Eddy U.S. 50s-80s Rock [60] The Eagles U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Country [61] Engelbert Humperdinck UK/U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening / Vocal [62] Fats Domino U.S. 40s-00s Rock / R&B [63] Fleetwood Mac UK/U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues [64] Frankie Laine U.S. 40s-00s Jazz / Gospel / Country [65] Garth Brooks U.S. 80s-00s Country [66] Gene Autry U.S. 30s-70s Country [67] Genesis UK 60s-00s Progressive Rock / Pop Rock [68] Gheorghe Zamfir Romania 70s-00s Instrumental [69][70] Iron Maiden U.K. 80s-00s Heavy Metal / NWOBHM [71] The Jackson 5 U.S. 60s-90s Pop / Disco / Funk / R&B [72] Janet Jackson U.S. 80s-00s R&B / Soul / Dance / Pop [73] John Denver U.S. 60s-90s Folk / Pop / Country Johnny Hallyday France 50s-00s Traditional Pop [74] Johnny Mathis U.S. 50s-00s Jazz / Pop [75] Joni James U.S. 50s-60s Rock [76] Kenny Rogers U.S. 50s-00s Country / Pop [77][78] Lionel Richie U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Soul / Disco / Dance / Adult Contemporary [79] Luciano Pavarotti Italy 60s-00s Opera [80][81] Mireille Mathieu France 60s-00s Pop [82] Modern Talking Germany 80s-00s New Wave [83] Neil Diamond U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [84] Patti Page U.S. 40s-00s Country [85][86] Perry Como U.S. 30s-00s Pop / Swing / Easy Listening [87] Phil Collins UK 80s-00s Rock / Pop [88] Prince U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Funk / R&B / Rock / Soul [89] R. Kelly U.S. 90s-00s Pop R&B / Soul / New Jack Swing Ricky Nelson U.S. 50s-80s Pop [90] Roberto Carlos Brazil 60s-00s Latin [91] Rod Stewart UK 60s-00s Rock [92] The Rolling Stones UK 60s-00s Rock / Hard Rock / Arena Rock [93] Tina Turner U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Rock / Soul / Dance [94] Status Quo UK 60s-00s Rock [95] Stevie Wonder U.S. 60s-00s Pop / R&B / Disco / Soul / Funk [96][97] Tommy James U.S. 60s-00s Rock [98] U2 Ireland 70s-00s Rock [99] Wei Wei China 80s-00s Pop [100] Whitney Houston U.S. 80s-00s Pop / R&B / Adult Contemporary / Soul / Gospel / Dance [101] The Who UK 60s-00s Rock / Arena Rock / Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Art Rock [102]

75 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source Adamo Belgium 60s-00s Pop [103][104] Adriano Celentano Italy 60s-00s Pop [105] Alabama U.S. 70s-00s Country [106] Air Supply Australia/U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary The Andrews Sisters U.S. 30s-50s Swing [107] B'z Japan 80s-00s Rock / Hard Rock [108] Barry Manilow U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Easy Listening / Adult Contemporary [109] Bob Dylan U.S. 60s-00s Folk / Rock / Country [110][111] Bobby Vinton U.S. 60s-90s Pop [112] Bonnie Tyler UK 70s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [113] Britney Spears U.S. 90s-00s Pop [114] Bryan Adams Canada 80s-00s Rock / Pop / Adult Contemporary [115] Christina Aguilera U.S. 90s-00s Pop / Jazz / Latin / Hip-Hop [116] Depeche Mode UK 80s-00s New Wave / Synthpop / Alternative Dance [117][118] Donny Osmond U.S. 70s-00s Pop [119] Duran Duran UK 80s-00s Pop / New Wave [120] The Doors U.S. 60s-70s Rock [121] Earth, Wind & Fire U.S. 70s-00s Pop / R&B / Disco / Soul / Funk [122] Eddy Arnold U.S. 40s-00s Country [123] Eminem U.S. 90s-00s Hip-Hop [124] Eurythmics UK 80s-00s Pop / Rock / New Wave [125] Fairuz Lebanon 40s-00s Pop [126] Gene Austin U.S. 20s-30s Country [127] George Michael {and Wham!} UK 80s-00s Pop [128] Gloria Estefan U.S. 80s-00s Latin / Dance [129] Guns N' Roses U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Glam Metal [130] Hank Snow Canada 30s-90s Country [131] Jean Michel Jarre France 70s-00s New Age [132] Journey U.S. 70s-00s Rock [133] Kenny G U.S. 80s-00s Instrumental / Jazz [134] Kiss U.S. 70s-00s Rock [135] Linda Ronstadt U.S. 60s-00s Country / Pop [136] Marvin Gaye U.S. 50s-80s Pop / R&B / Disco / Funk / Soul Metallica U.S. 80s-00s Heavy Metal / Thrash Metal / Hard Rock [137] Mina Italy 50s-00s Pop [138] Neil Young Canada/U.S 60s-00s Folk / Rock / Country Oasis UK 90s-00s Rock [139] The Osmonds U.S. 70s-00s Rock [140] R.E.M. U.S. 80s-00s Rock [141] Roxette Sweden 80s-00s Pop / Rock [142] Santana Mexico/U.S. 60s-00s Rock / Blues [143] Scorpions Germany 70s-00s Hard Rock [144] Sonny & Cher U.S. 60s-70s Pop / Rock [145] Shania Twain Canada 90s-00s Country / Pop [146] Van Halen U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock [147] The Ventures U.S. 50s-00s Instrumental Rock [148] Tupac Shakur U.S. 90s-00s Hip-Hop [149] Victor Silvester UK 30s-80s Dance [150] Willie Nelson U.S. 50s-00s Country [151] 50 million records or more/less Artist Country Period Genre Source a-ha Norway 80s-00s Pop / New Wave [152] Alanis Morissette Canada 90s-00s Alternative / Folk Rock [153] Alice Cooper U.S. 60s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Shock Rock / Glam Rock [154] Andre Kostelanetz U.S. 40s-70s Easy Listening [155] Andrea Bocelli Italy 90s-00s Opera / Classical [156] Anne Murray Canada 60s-00s Pop / Country [157] Annie Lennox UK 90s-00s Rock / Soul [158] Ayumi Hamasaki Japan 90s-00s Pop / Trance [159] B.J. Thomas U.S. 60s-00s Country [160] Blondie U.S. 70s-00s New Wave [161] Bob Marley Jamaica 60s-80s Reggae [162] Bob Seger U.S. 60s-00s Rock [163] Boyz II Men U.S. 80s-00s R&B / Soul [164] Camilo Sesto Spain 60s-00s Latin [165] Cat Stevens UK 60s-00s Folk / Pop [166] Charlie Daniels U.S. 70s-00s Country / Rock [167] The Corrs Ireland 90s-00s Rock [168] Culture Club UK 70s-00s Pop / New Wave / New Romantic Rock Def Leppard UK 70s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / NWOBHM [169] Destiny's Child U.S. 90s-00s Pop / R&B / Dance [170] The Diamonds Canada 50s-70s R&B [171] The Doobie Brothers U.S. 70s-00s Rock [172] Don Cornell U.S. 50s-90s Pop [173] Enya Ireland 80s-00s New Age / Celtic [174] Foreigner U.S./UK 70s-00s Rock / Arena Rock Four Tops U.S. 50s-00s R&B [175] George Strait U.S. 70s-00s Country [176] Green Day U.S. 90s-00s Rock / Punk / Alternative [177] Heino Germany 60s-00s Country [178] Hank Thompson U.S. 40s-00s Country [179] Herb Alpert U.S. 50s-90s Instrumental Pop / Easy Listening [180] James Brown U.S. 50s-00s Rock / Soul / Disco James Last Germany 60s-00s Instrumental / Classical [181] Jethro Tull UK 60s-00s Progressive Rock / Hard Rock /Rock [182] Jennifer Lopez U.S. 90s-00s Pop / R&B / Dance / Latin Johnny Cash U.S. 50s-00s Country [183] KC & The Sunshine Band U.S. 70s-00s Pop / Disco / R&B / Adult Contemporary Kenny Loggins U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Kylie Minogue Australia 80s-00s Pop / Dance [184] Kool & The Gang U.S. 60s-00s Pop / Disco / Soul / Funk / R&B Luis Miguel Mexico 80s-00s Latin [185] Linkin Park United States 90s-00s Rock / Metal / Hip-Hop [186] Little River Band Australia/U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary Meat Loaf U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Hard Rock [187] Michael Bolton U.S. 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary Mills Brothers U.S. 30s-70s Pop [188] Mötley Crüe U.S. 80s-00s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Glam Metal [189] The Monkees U.S. 60s-90s Pop / Rock [190] Mr. Children Japan 80s-00s Rock [191] Nat King Cole U.S. 30s-60s Jazz / Vocal / Pop [192] Nelson Gonçalves Brazil 40s-90s Samba [193] New Kids on the Block U.S. 80s-90s Pop [194] Nirvana U.S. 80s-90s Grunge / Alternative Rock [195] Oasis UK 90s-00s Rock [196] Olivia Newton-John Australia 70s-00s Country / Pop / Adult Contmporary Orhan Gencebay Turkey 60s-00s Arabesque / Folk [197] Paul Anka Canada 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening Paul Revere & The Raiders USA 60s-00s Pop [198] Pearl Jam U.S. 90s-00s Grunge / Rock / Hard Rock [199] Petula Clark UK 50s-00s Pop [200] The Dave Clark Five UK 60s-70s Rock [201] The Police UK 70s-80s, 00s Pop / New Wave / Rock [202][203] Raphael Spain 60s-00s Latin Ray Conniff U.S. 50s-00s Pop / Easy Listening [204] Reba McEntire U.S. 70s-00s Country [205] Red Hot Chili Peppers U.S. 80s-00s Funk Rock / Alternative Rock [206] REO Speedwagon U.S. 70s-00s Rock / Arena Rock Richard Clayderman France 60s-00s Easy Listening / Instrumental Pop [207] Ricky Martin Puerto Rico 90s-00s Latin Pop / Dance [208] Rocío Dúrcal Spain 60s-00s Pop [209] Sade UK 80s-00s R&B [210] The Seekers Australia 60s, 90s-00s Folk / Rock [211] Shakira Colombia 90s-00s Latin / Pop [212] Simon & Garfunkel US 60s-70s Folk Rock [213][214] Simply Red UK 80s-00s Pop / Rock / Adult Contemporary [215] Spice Girls UK 90s-00s Pop / Dance / R&B [216] Supertramp UK 60s-00s Rock / Adult Contemporary [217] The Supremes U.S. 60s-70s Pop / R&B / Soul Three Dog Night U.S. 60s-70s Rock [218] Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers U.S. 70s-00s Rock [219] Tony Bennett U.S. 50s-00s Jazz [220] The Turtles U.S. 60s Rock [221] UB40 UK 80s-00s Reggae [222] Vernon Dalhart U.S. 10s-40s Country [223] Vicky Leandros Greece 60s-00s Pop [224] ZZ Top U.S. 70s-00s Hard Rock / Blues-Rock [225]

ksons success brought them a BMI award 2008.

Thanks BlueOcean. That's also what I wanted verification on. I knew I had read that their sales totaled 100 million but I was wondering if that included sales from J5 days.

They were also pretty popular as the Jacksons right after they left Motown too right? Not nearly as popular as they were as the Jackson 5. But they held their own right from 1976 to the end of the 70s.

Their debut album The Jacksons went gold, while Destiny and Triumph went Platinum and Victory went double platinum.

But I think that it's only natural that they lost their appeal to fans, by the 80s they had been in the business for over 10 years and a lot of groups lost their appeal after 5 or 6. So, in my opinion they had a good run.

Back