IJCSLY Single with "Don't Be Messin' Round" bonus track [Discussion]

Re: IJCSLY Single with "Don't Be Messin' Around" bonus track [Count Down]

Nope, it's Michael Thompson on guitars. I know Michael says it but Slash didn't actually record anything for this song, or if he did it didn't get used.

"The song hits as hard as anything on the album, its aggressive tone supplemented by symphonic strings and Slash's ripping guitar fills." Joe Vogel

I think Michael Thompson is playing the guitar, but not that solo. I think that's Slash on solo. What is your source?

"The song hits as hard as anything on the album, its aggressive tone supplemented by symphonic strings and Slash's ripping guitar fills." Joe Vogel

I think Michael Thompson is playing the guitar, but not that solo. I think that's Slash on solo. What is your source?

The Invincible album credits make no mention of Slash. The solo sounds nothing like Slash and is pure Michael Thompson. I believe there was a comment from Slash about this where he confirmed it wasn't him. Much of the info in Vogel's book is inaccurate.

The Invincible album credits make no mention of Slash. The solo sounds nothing like Slash and is pure Michael Thompson. I believe there was a comment from Slash about this where he confirmed it wawsn't him. Much of the info in Vogel's book is inaccurate.

Michael contributed background vocals numerous times on various albums by many artists and many times he wasn't credited. Maybe Slash isn't credited on purpose, like solo surprise by Slash. It is stupid to say in the middle of the song just before the solo "Slash" if he is not playing it.

Maybe you're right, I don't know, but it doesn't make any sense.

Michael contributed background vocals numerous times on various albums by many artists and many times he wasn't credited. Maybe he isn't credited on purpose, like solo surprise by Slash. It is stupid to say in the middle of the song just before the solo "Slash" if he is not playing it.

Maybe you're right, I don't know.

Maybe the song was recorded with the intention of Slash coming in to play solo but he wasn't able to do it for whatever reason and Michael saying "Slash" was left on there?

DBMR is a fun song, but nothing to write home about. It sounds similar to Streetwalker. It's a nice groove that could have been turned into a good song. I'm glad to have heard it, but Swedien over-hyped it.

The release date is correct. You can see it listed as "in stock" on Amazon Germany's marketplace (third-party suppliers). Amazon, Saturn & Co. haven't received copies yet. Karstadt won't even sell it as their Maxi-CD product line is mostly "dead".
Third-party suppliers are not randomly listed on Amazon Germany, they are only listed when either Amazon itself doesn't have the product in stock and/or when the third-party suppliers have the product, too. They need to confirm availability in order to get an entry there. At the moment 5 third-party suppliers have it. I don't recommend ordering from there, Amazon will still be faster.

i have ordered it on amazon. i have made a bigger order. included some other items. yesterday, they shipped the other items, and made a note to the cd-single that it will be shipped between june 1 and june 4. today, they deleted/changed this. now they say that they send a email when they know they can ship it. and i can cancel it.

So nice hearing a proper new MJ demo, love the funky guitar at the end, State of Shock anyone? :D

So nice hearing a proper new MJ demo, love the funky guitar at the end, State of Shock anyone? :D

Yes hearing a real song takes away the bad taste of 08/11/10. A bit. lol.

Anyone think the intro beat kinda sounds like When Doves Cry into by Prince?

Maybe the song was recorded with the intention of Slash coming in to play solo but he wasn't able to do it for whatever reason and Michael saying "Slash" was left on there?

The song was co-written with Bernard Belle who co-wrote Remember the Time & Why You Wanna Trip On Me for the Dangerous album. But it is co-produced with Darkchild. Is it possible that the song (musically) was conceived during the Dangerous sessions and that Slash provided his guitar earlier, long before Invincible sessions started. And then MJ used that music co-written with Belle and the guitars recorded by Slash, wrote lyrics and finished the song for the Invincible album with Darkchild without Slash even knowing about it.

Just a thought..

The song was co-written with Bernard Belle who co-wrote Remember the Time & Why You Wanna Trip On Me for the Dangerous album. But it is co-produced with Darkchild. Is it possible that the song (musically) was conceived during the Dangerous sessions and that Slash provided his guitar earlier, long before Invincible sessions started. And then MJ used that music co-written with Belle and the guitars recorded by Slash, wrote lyrics and finished the song for the Invincible album with Darkchild without Slash even knowing about it.

Just a thought..

That's another possibility.

STREETWALKER MEATS LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD!

AND DAMN, I haven't felt so good since the songs we got during the MICHAEL release! I simply love it!

That is a good summary XD I agree with you

I really like it. I can only imagine what it could have become if he had been able to properly finish it, but still a nice song / groove.
I have yet to be let down by any "bad"album outake for some reason lol

OMG :swoon: Such a COOL demo... Michael's voice is so pure and clear... I had the biggest smile through my tears...
WOW, can't wait for the release... :tease:

I made mix today

I replay this song again and again. LOVE IT! btw who has lyrics?

Do ya'll think theres another version of the song? I'm a bit disappointed even tho I know it's a demo I'd expected something else. I mean it was supposed to be some type of ballad song, but it's not close to that? Perhaps they might release the version Bruce talked about? Overall it's a good demo.

Bruce Swedien, Jackson’s long time studio engineer and the man that recorded Jackson’s vocals spoke about “Don’t Be Messin’ Round” in a 2009 interview, in which he referred to it as a “powerful” and “mesmerizing” ballad. “Michael plays piano on it, and it’s just beautiful … Oh my God, there’s nothing like it”.

Recently I was fortunate enough to with talk to someone who is familiar with the song.

“It’s cool”, she explained. “It’s not something you’d typically expect from Michael Jackson. When you listen to songs like Smooth Criminal or Dirty Diana which come from the same era it’s understandable why Messin’ wasn’t included on Bad. It’s too different. It doesn’t fit.”
Nevertheless, I was assured that fans will thoroughly enjoy the track.

“From what I could tell”, she continued, “it hasn’t been touched up. It seems to be the way Michael left it. It sounds like something you might have heard in a classy Jazz bar back in the ’50s. That’s the mood of the song. It’s a lounge type song.”

“You can imagine Michael just sitting at the piano, in the privacy of his home, jamming for his friends and family on this one. It’s really nice.”

All speculation will be set aside in just a few short days when fans finally have the chance to hear the track for themsel

ok reg this SLASH thing:
he played with MJ on ES while working on it, but it was discarded.
SLAH finally plays the guitar on ES during the famous MJ & Friends gigs, which I think is a great moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CnZpcwm0FM

on Privacy, SLASH was to play in it, but at the last minute was replaced by Michael Thompson.

back to DBMR: it is a cool demo. It may not have this tuff edge they needed for BAD. And the ballads MJ finally chose are so original, maybe he thought DBMR was not strong enough. Great cut anyway.

Anyone hear Don't Be Messin' Round in this? :)

[youtube]i7y32FoYQuU[/youtube]

Its very similar

Runaway" is a song by American singer Janet Jackson from her first greatest hits album, Design of a Decade 1986/1996 (1995). Written and produced by Jackson and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the track was released as the album's lead single on August 29, 1995. It is one of the two previously unreleased songs added to the Design of a Decade 1986/1996 compilation.

latinaa;3649612 said:
Do ya'll think theres another version of the song? I'm a bit disappointed even tho I know it's a demo I'd expected something else. I mean it was supposed to be some type of ballad song, but it's not close to that? Perhaps they might release the version Bruce talked about? Overall it's a good demo.

Yes there are other versions . There was a prior version for Thriller and it was futher worked on for BAd era and then again past that. This version is from BAD era "87" So we may get other versions in the future :)
Richard Lecocq;3649515 said:
http://mjdatabank.com/mjjnews/wordpress/2012/06/01/exclusive-dont-be-messin-round-a-review-en/

EXCLUSIVE: Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round – A Review (EN)

Presented as the first unreleased track off the BAD 25 campaign to be released as a bonus cut on the forthcoming I Just can’t Stop Loving You single, Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round is a song that already has a history among MJ fans and connoisseurs. Way back in July 2009, legendary sound engineer and longtime Jackson collaborator Bruce Swedien revealed to columnist Roger Friedman that the track was just – simply put – mindblowing: « Michael plays piano on it, and it’s just beautiful. » He added: « Oh my God, there’s nothing like it. » He also stated that Jackson plays the piano on it, a feat that has always been underestimated (he also plays drums on Morphine and keyboards & synthesizers on the lost and underrated track Children’s Holiday, a song Jackson penned for the Japanese band J-Friends in 1998 and also recorded on his own).

So far, the sole book to document the song was Chris Cadman’s & Creaig Halstead’s reference book (yet unmatched in the UK and the U.S.) For The Record. A very short snippet of the song was leaked on YouTube some time ago. But that was it. Until now.

Swedien made it clear that the track was intended for the Thriller album. It finally did not make the final cut. Jackson had a history – like other artists – to develop a song and to discard it at the very last minute to keep the whole set of songs as tight and coherent as possible. The left off songs happened to be cornerstone and iconic ones that were shaped for further releases. Earth Song, first intended for the Dangerous album under the working title What About Us was reworked and polished for HIStory.

Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round is a track that had been in the pipelines many times. It was first considered for the Thriller album, then BAD, and then for further projects. But the version to be released is the actual mix crafted in 1987. Sound engineer Matt Forger mixed the song for the BAD 25 project and made it clear that the song will be presented « as is »: « I mixed the « Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round » track from tapes of that era. No new parts were allowed, not even parts that were recorded after ’87 but still done under Michael’s supervision ».

Composed and produced by Michael Jackson, Don’t Be Messin’ Round is part of the demos Jackson spent enough time on to draft several strong melodic and rhythmic ideas. The chords and the rhythm of the track are quite reminiscent of the sunny and cool mid-tempo version of P.Y.T. (the original demo that surfaced in 2004 on the The Ultimate Collection box set). Some ideas and notes also sound like the ones already heard in Streetwalker, especially in the verses. Jackson sings most of the lyrics in yogurt, meaning that he still had a few steps to go before he could include the song on one of his abums. At 2:23, Jackson dives into the « bridge » section of the song, that actually is – in this version – an instrumental section. The catchy and sunny hook is back and heads to the fade-out of the song. Don’t Be Messin’ Round is another door open to Michael Jackson’s unique creative process. The King of Pop was used to tape melodic ideas – orally – on a tape recorder and then get musicians to help him craft the track, layer after layer.

Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round is a treat just before the actual BAD 25 set hits the shelves. The Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music have joined forces to gather genuine and untouched recordings from the iconic times of BAD. Ok, there will be some remixes as well. When it comes to Kings of music, we shall have an eye on some of the the win-win projects by the Estate of Elvis Presley. In 2002, they released this great remix of Just A Little Conversation by JXL. It was the sole new remix included as the final track of a cool greatest hits packaghe. This remix sold the whole set. It may just take one cool, hard, club banging remix to make the re-release of BAD a celebration of the original album and an attempt to reach a new generation of fans. To be continued…

Richard Lecocq

latinaa;3649612 said:

Bruce Swedien, Jackson’s long time studio engineer and the man that recorded Jackson’s vocals spoke about “Don’t Be Messin’ Round” in a 2009 interview, in which he referred to it as a “powerful” and “mesmerizing” ballad. “Michael plays piano on it, and it’s just beautiful … Oh my God, there’s nothing like it”.

Recently I was fortunate enough to with talk to someone who is familiar with the song.

“It’s cool”, she explained. “It’s not something you’d typically expect from Michael Jackson. When you listen to songs like Smooth Criminal or Dirty Diana which come from the same era it’s understandable why Messin’ wasn’t included on Bad. It’s too different. It doesn’t fit.”
Nevertheless, I was assured that fans will thoroughly enjoy the track.

“From what I could tell”, she continued, “it hasn’t been touched up. It seems to be the way Michael left it. It sounds like something you might have heard in a classy Jazz bar back in the ’50s. That’s the mood of the song. It’s a lounge type song.”

“You can imagine Michael just sitting at the piano, in the privacy of his home, jamming for his friends and family on this one. It’s really nice.”

All speculation will be set aside in just a few short days when fans finally have the chance to hear the track for themsel

You know what? You make a good point. The song described here sounds nothing like what we've heard today. Bruce Swedien MUST have been talking about another song.

^ I also think it samples MJ's "brrra!".

Anyone think the intro beat kinda sounds like When Doves Cry into by Prince?
I really tried, but..

no..

I saw Prince live in 1990 Nude tour, btw...:D. Can't remember one thing, hehe.

Yes!

Right, some things I've "found" in this:

Intro sounds a bit like When Doves Cry:
[youtube]lkDLR4a6KPI[/youtube]

The whole song sonds a lot like RUNAWAY by Janet Jackson:

There is an instrument that plays a lot like in DON'T STOP TIL YOU GET ENOUGH (at the end):
http://youtu.be/yURRmWtbTbo?t=3m57s COMPARE THIS TO THE END OF DBMR

Ad libs at the end are very similar to the ad libs he does in STATE OF SHOCK feat. Freddie.
http://youtu.be/fbkFiM15Yhc?t=4m30s COMPARE THIS TO THE END OF DBMR

Like I said, the song also somewhat has the same groove as Streetwalker. Maybe with a little Cheater and Love Never Felt So Good in it.

Love it!

I can't stop listening! Absolutely love it! Funky as hell! I'd love albums full of his demos; all the versions as his songs progress from his beatboxing to the first jam with musicians to the finished product. For me, that would be fascinating.

That's another possibility.

Didn't Slash himself say in an interview he was supposed to record a solo, but didn't? They just forgot to remove the "Slash!" shout-out.

Didn't Slash himself say in an interview he was supposed to record a solo, but didn't? They just forgot to remove the "Slash!" shout-out.

Apparently yes. Joe Vogel made a mistake in his book so I thought that it is Slash on the solo.

It wasn't what I expected but that's actually really good, just shows how diverse of an artist Michael is. So happy to hear this new type of song from him, I honestly have no idea how to describe it, it's funky and makes me want to have a dance party but is slow and jazzy at the same time. Really good track!

Back