In The Closet apprecation

an interesting song...

but i always felt that considering his appeal to children it was a but overly sexualised (with the videos and sexual innuendos)? I dont mind it, but for a 10 year old mj fan it can be a little inappropriate.

Good song though....

well, in that case I guess you can say that children shouldn't watch MJ at all? what about his sexy moves and crotch grabbing on stage? children shouldn't be allowed to watch that either? what about little children who imitate him and grab their crotch? personally, that makes me cringe when they do that, but I don't think they understand the sexiness of it. I was 12 when I watched the ITC video, and I watched it with 2 boys, and all they talked about was her boobs, and I didn't understand what was so interesting about that. but anyway, I didn't understand the sexiness of the video, I was too young. because I wasn't ready to be a teenager yet at that age. also, when I was even younger, me and my cousin (I was 9, he was 6), would go out on the street with a ghetto blaster playing MJ music and dance like him. we didn't think, grabbing the crotch is sexy we shouldn't do that because we are little kids. we just wanted to do be like him

Last edited:
an interesting song...

but i always felt that considering his appeal to children it was a but overly sexualised (with the videos and sexual innuendos)? I dont mind it, but for a 10 year old mj fan it can be a little inappropriate.

Good song though....

I'm not going to say that kids don't pick up on things, but overall I don't think a kid is going to look at the video the same way a teenager or adult would....

I was 12 when I watched the ITC video, and I watched it with 2 boys, and all they talked about was her boobs, and I didn't understand what was so interesting about that. but anyway, I didn't understand the sexiness of the video, I was too young. because I wasn't ready to be a teenager yet at that age. also, when I was even younger, me and my cousin (I was 9, he was 6), would go out on the street with a ghetto blaster playing MJ music and dance like him. we didn't think, grabbing the crotch is sexy we shouldn't do that because we are little kids. we just wanted to do be like him

This is true. Kids do not pick up on those things. I remember being a kid and not picking up on the sexuality in the Come Together video, TWYMMF etc. MJ's sexual innuendo was never that explicit. If a kid watched it without knowing what it meant they did not pick up on it. I know I didn't. And it is up for parents to decide what is appropriate for their kids and what isn't. MJ could not limit himself to never talk about sexuality just because kids might watch it. Those kids would get a lot more sexuality from other videos on MTV, anyway.

not so crazy about the song but the video was hot

mj_frenzy;4161723 said:
This does not make sense at all!

“… She [Madonna] was into these books, a whole library of books of women who were tied to walls. She said ‘I love spanky books’. Why do I want to see that?...” (MJ, The Michael Jackson Tapes).

As a matter of fact, MJ did not draw (artistic) inspiration from her generally, not just when it came to ‘In The Closet’.

Madonna obviously does not tell the whole story here & her demeanor towards MJ seemed to be (in general) completely different, for example:

“... [Madonna said] ‘I am not going to Disneyland, okay? That’s out’. I said ‘But I didn’t ask you to go to Disneyland’. She said we are going to the restaurant and afterwards we are going to a strip bar. I said ‘I’m not going to a strip bar’. Guys who cross-dress!’… We were at the table eating and some little kids came up. ‘Oh my God Michael Jackson and Madonna. Can we have your autographs? She said ‘Get out of here. Leave us alone’. I said ’Don’t ever talk to children like that again’. She said ‘Shut up’... Afterwards she wrote some mean things about me in the press and I wrote that she is a nasty witch, after I was so kind to her… I was not in love with her…I knew we had nothing in common…” (MJ, The Michael Jackson Tapes)

So, I think those MJ's quotes put an end to various baseless claims that persist up to these days (such as, MJ was attracted by her, MJ sought artistic inspiration from her, etc).

What Madonna really needs to do is spill the tea about what happened at her house etc :popcorn: I wonder if she will post another MJ pic this week being that its his B'day :8-25-03pray:

For almost half my life...ive always thought he was saying "she wants to GIVE IN”😂😂😂😂 Idk why...i got better audio & audiophiles flacs of off the wall-dangerous in the original state & was like...i cant believe that he was saying "she wants to get it".

I love it, that song was a great single and of course had a strong Prince vibe to it. It puts truth to the rumour that MJ wanted a more sexually charged sound to Dangerous so it could sound a bit more like Prince.
It is my favourite on the album and I love the chorus "There's something about you baby, that makes me want to give it to you" can't you just put Princebonics on it - There's sumthing about u baby, that makes me want 2 give it 2 u!" Now imagine Prince singing it. Michael Jackson was trying to prove he was a big bad lover man too. You almost forget it is Michael Jackson. It is the one song that most Prince fans who don't like Michael will like. Yet of course most Prince fans I know are just as ga ga about Michael Jackson too.
Only Who is it comes close to the closet, and it is in the same vein, sexual mystery and tension. I always thought it was Princess Stephanie and not Madonna as mystery girl, it is hard to tell. But yeah, sexually charged pop form the early 1990s is my favourite music per se. Erotica, Diamonds and Pearls and Dangerous, if you take all the sexy tracks off them and add Justify my love and Rescue me, you have some of the best sex pop music ever made.

Sex, funk and dance

1. Rescue Me
2. Justify my love
3. Who is it
4. In the closet
5. Can't let her get away
6. Gett Off
7. Cream
8. Erotica
9. Deeper and Deeper
10. Where life begins
11. Bad girl
12. Give in to me
13. Dangerous
14. Did you do it
15. Thief of hearts
16. Fever
17. Insatiable
18. Strollin

Imagine that for a early 90s menage a trois superstar romp?

I love it, that song was a great single and of course had a strong Prince vibe to it. It puts truth to the rumour that MJ wanted a more sexually charged sound to Dangerous so it could sound a bit more like Prince.
It is my favourite on the album and I love the chorus "There's something about you baby, that makes me want to give it to you" can't you just put Princebonics on it - There's sumthing about u baby, that makes me want 2 give it 2 u!" Now imagine Prince singing it. Michael Jackson was trying to prove he was a big bad lover man too. You almost forget it is Michael Jackson. It is the one song that most Prince fans who don't like Michael will like. Yet of course most Prince fans I know are just as ga ga about Michael Jackson too.
Only Who is it comes close to the closet, and it is in the same vein, sexual mystery and tension. I always thought it was Princess Stephanie and not Madonna as mystery girl, it is hard to tell. But yeah, sexually charged pop form the early 1990s is my favourite music per se. Erotica, Diamonds and Pearls and Dangerous, if you take all the sexy tracks off them and add Justify my love and Rescue me, you have some of the best sex pop music ever made.

Sex, funk and dance

1. Rescue Me
2. Justify my love
3. Who is it
4. In the closet
5. Can't let her get away
6. Gett Off
7. Cream
8. Erotica
9. Deeper and Deeper
10. Where life begins
11. Bad girl
12. Give in to me
13. Dangerous
14. Did you do it
15. Thief of hearts
16. Fever
17. Insatiable
18. Strollin

Imagine that for a early 90s menage a trois superstar romp?

That list sounds like a great mixtape (y)

I don't feel In The Closet is an attempt at emulating Prince. I listen to Prince but I never felt ITC was Prince-like. As for the theme, Prince is surely not the only artist who ever wrote a song about sex and MJ could have just as much been inspired by something personal in his life.

If you're like me (and everyone should be) then when you're in a record shop you browse through the MJ section even though you own everything, probably many times....

....anyway has anyone noticed that the new versions of The Essential have In The Closet listed as 'In The Closest'?

What's that about?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...al+michael+jackson+back&imgrc=vZqWQCpiNIo0MM:
Do you also (like me)have no reason at all but does so anyway put his music in the order they go?

I love the way In The Closet is a different song structure to your standard song. Such an unusual and yet refreshing take on a song. The whispering girl also makes it so enticing and intimate.

This is my favorite track off of Dangerous. This is MJ at his creative peak
Are we even sure that MJ wrote this?Like just because hes singing it with this Michael Jackson-ish signature passion(he always sang his lycris with this trademark energy of his,even when he was a child),that doesn’t mean he is the actual author. Credits can be faked (like they did for Remember The Time or Cant let her get away. Michael took undue songwriting credits for those. They were both Teddy Riley compositions about a woman he liked at the time).

Are we even sure that MJ wrote this?Like just because hes singing it with this Michael Jackson-ish signature passion(he always sang his lycris with this trademark energy of his,even when he was a child),that doesn’t mean he is the actual author. Credits can be faked (like they did for Remember The Time or Cant let her get away. Michael took undue songwriting credits for those. They were both Teddy Riley compositions about a woman he liked at the time).
In The Closet was certainly written by Michael and even Teddy Riley has admitted this. He sang the groove into a tape recorder and presented it to Teddy.

I don’t know where you get your information from, Remember The Time was co-written with Michael and there is evidence for this. The lyrics in red on this amplifier are dated August 12, 1990 and were written by Michael, the ones in black are dated August 21, 1990 and were written by Teddy Riley.

37c3140dc2f65ec0b2f5179b18a3ca4d.jpg

According to Riley, it was Michael who came up with the hook for the song as well.

Last edited:
In The Closet was certainly written by Michael and even Teddy Riley has admitted this. He sang the groove into a tape recorder and presented it to Teddy.

I don’t know where you get your information from, Remember The Time was co-written with Michael and there is evidence for this. The lyrics in red on this amplifier are dated August 12, 1990 and were written by Michael, the ones in black are dated August 21, 1990 and were written by Teddy Riley.

37c3140dc2f65ec0b2f5179b18a3ca4d.jpg

According to Riley, it was Michael who came up with the hook for the song as well.
Thanks for the info. But I cant help but wonder. How do you know the red parts are Michaels ,and the black ones are from Teddy?And how do you know the exact dates and the exact year?Very interesting,I just wanna know the source,since I wanna learn more :D

Thanks for the info. But I cant help but wonder. How do you know the red parts are Michaels ,and the black ones are from Teddy?And how do you know the exact dates and the exact year?Very interesting,I just wanna know the source,since I wanna learn more :D
Sorry. I see the dates written on the clock:))) Apparently they played a little game while or after writting some lycris lol. Thanks for the photo and info :D

Criminally underrated song like so many of Michael.
Also videowise. From minute 3.52 to 3.56 we witness the finest dancing I have ever seen. I don’t get why nobody ever made a gif of that, I would if I had the knowhow…

So good, thanks for posting this @lubyss !!!
You can see in the video the dancing continues but it is edited out, I always wondered how it would continue!

I always like those little moments where Michael is just grooving instead of doing his choreographed trademark moves. Another great one is during the captain EO rehearsal where he is dancing to another part of me.

Back