In What Order Do You Rate MJ's Solo Albums

kevin_1990

Proud Member
Im only going to rate his Epic albums but if you like you can also include his Motown solo albums.Rate them in your own personal opnion not by record sales and there commercial success here is my order.

1. BAD

Always been my favorite Michael jackson Album was the first album i ever listend to also has probably my favorite song of Michaels 'Man in the mirror'. other highlights of this Album to me were 'Bad' 'The Way You Make Me Feel' 'Dirty Diana' 'Smooth Criminal' they were the tracks that stuck out to me i think the other tracks are great to of course but to me 'Man in the mirror' 'Bad' 'The Way You Make Me Feel' 'Dirty Diana' 'Smooth Criminal' make that album a classic

2.Dangerous

number 2 was hard i dont know if it's just because im really feeling the Dangerous album the now there is something about it. Has that kinda feeling that makes you want to dance you feel every beat. Tracks that make this Album for me are 'Jam' 'Why You Wanna Trip On Me' 'Remember The Time' 'Heal The World' 'Black Or White' 'Who is It' 'Will You Be There' 'Gone To Soon' "Dangerous"

3. Thriller

on another day this may be my number 2 but im just really digging Dangerous at the moment so it's slipped into number 2 well Thriller we all know about its sales but like i said im no basing this on record sales. all the tracks on this Album make it a classic lol some people may rip my head off for this but i would say my least favorite track is 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and too hard to pick a favorite lol so lets move on!

4.History

alot of people say this album i very underated prepared to the amount of praise his albums before it got but like the albums before it also sold well. this album has a grove about it too the songs that make it for me are 'Scream' 'They Dont Care About us' 'Earth Song' 'Come Together'(big beatles fan but i would say his cover is better than the orginal) 'you Are Not Alone'

5. Off The Wall

To me this Album was just surpassed by his albums after this it was a good album though just not one of my favorites and probably not for me but it is a decent album i like 'Dont Stop Till You Get Enough' 'Rock With You' 'Off The Wall' 'She's Out Of My Life' ' It's The Falling In Love' 'Burn This Disco Out'

6. Invincible

Cant really say i have gave this album a right chance but i did really like 'You Rock My World' 'Speechless''Don't Walk Away''Cry' 'Whatever Happens' I do admit i really need to sit down and give this album another listen i havent heard it as much as the rest.

so this is my personal opinion feel free to comment and i would love to hear yours no doubt my opinion will be diffrent in the future lol i can honestly say Bad will always be number 1 for me but Thriller and Dangerous will probably jump between 2 and 3 lol

Nice thread (as so many others in Michaelmania lately).
And though it is hard for me to rank MJ's albums & songs, there you go:

First tier:
Dangerous / Blood On The Dance Floor EP

Close second tier:
Bad / HIStory / Thriller

Third tier:
Invincible / Off The Wall

I'm a bit lazy now, so i won't elaborate more. Maybe another time...

1. HIStory
2. Off The Wall
3. Thriller
4. Invincible
5. Dangerous
6. Bad

But I genuinely love every one of them, so just because Bad is sixth it doesn't mean to say I don't think it's an amazing album, because I do.

I also rate BOTD very highly, but as it's more of an EP I didn't feel right pitting it alongside his full-length albums.

1. Dangerous
2. Bad
3. Thriller
4. HIStory
5. Invincible
6. Off The Wall

Dangerous
History
Bad
Thriller
Off The Wall
Invincible

Off The Wall is the best album he ever did, MJ said so himself and also said the recording of that album and Thriller were the happiest moments of his solo career

1. Dangerous
2. HIStory
3. Off The Wall
4. Bad
5. Thriller
7. BOTDF
8. Invincible

Since last time we did this poll HIStory and OTW switched places - I'm more in a "HIStory mood" now.

1. Bad
2. Dangerous
3. HIStory
4. Thriller
5. Off The Wall
6. Invincible

Basically the other thread, we all had Michael's Sony/Epic LP's in the top 6...

Was he not dissapointed with 'Off The Wall' cause he expected it too do alot better than it did

That was the reception it got and the lack of Grammys.

Yes i might be wrong but i think i read that he said that this was a lonely time in his life he used to wander the streets at night hoping to find someone to talk to who dosent know who he is so they would see him as his self and not The Michael Jackson.

I asked you for a source in the other thread too and you didn't provide one. So it seems like you do.

no need to make anything up

it's just like his tours, the Triumph Tour is his best live stage show, every solo tour he did borrowed elements, stage presentation and props (magic disappearing acts in smoke) from the Triumph Tour

Michael Jackson always stated what his goal was, for each solo album he released, there was always an achievement that he was seeking for each album

With Off The Wall, he said that was the best album he ever did, but he stopped saying that years ago because he always felt OTW was slighted by the recording academy during the 1980 and 1981 Grammy Awards only given OTW best R&B performance, thus he was very disappointed about the perceived lack of recognition and vowed that his next album would be the greatest selling album of all time which became Thriller

then after Thriller, his goal with Bad was the outsell it, at no time during Bad's run did MJ ever say that album was his best

then after Bad, MIchael Jackson evolved into primarily an exclusive international artist and his goal for Dangerous was for it to be viewed as a universal album in the same vein as Tchaikovsky "Nutcracker Suite" musical composition...at no time during that album's run did MJ ever say that was his best

then with History, initially, he was set to make the 2 disc album feature all new music but changed the concept and featured one disc full of his classic songs, and the second disc full of new songs, the stated goal with History wasn't necessarily to achieve sells records but to regain his american audience along with expanding on his international audience, at no time during that album's run did he say History was his best album

and with Invincible, his stated goal w/that record was the return back to his r&b roots, and I think everyone can agree there's no way MJ ever said that album was his best.....

none of those albums after OTW did MJ ever say were his best, he didn't even say that about Thriller which was his career pinnacle achievement in regards to record breaking sales

1. Bad
2. HIStory
3. Thriller
4. Dangerous
5. Invincible
6. Off the Wall

it's just like his tours, the Triumph Tour is his best live stage show, every solo tour he did borrowed elements, stage presentation and props (magic disappearing acts in smoke) from the Triumph Tour

Michael Jackson always stated what his goal was, for each solo album he released, there was always an achievement that he was seeking for each album

With Off The Wall, he said that was the best album he ever did, but he stopped saying that years ago because he always felt OTW was slighted by the recording academy during the 1980 and 1981 Grammy Awards only given OTW best R&B performance, thus he was very disappointed about the perceived lack of recognition and vowed that his next album would be the greatest selling album of all time which became Thriller

then after Thriller, his goal with Bad was the outsell it, at no time during Bad's run did MJ ever say that album was his best

then after Bad, MIchael Jackson evolved into primarily an exclusive international artist and his goal for Dangerous was for it to be viewed as a universal album in the same vein as Tchaikovsky "Nutcracker Suite" musical composition...at no time during that album's run did MJ ever say that was his best

then with History, initially, he was set to make the 2 disc album feature all new music but changed the concept and featured one disc full of his classic songs, and the second disc full of new songs, the stated goal with History wasn't necessarily to achieve sells records but to regain his american audience along with expanding on his international audience, at no time during that album's run did he say History was his best album

and with Invincible, his stated goal w/that record was the return back to his r&b roots, and I think everyone can agree there's no way MJ ever said that album was his best.....

none of those albums after OTW did MJ ever say were his best, he didn't even say that about Thriller which was his career pinnacle achievement in regards to record breaking sales

So Michael said it just after making Off the Wall? I don't think Michael needed to announce it if he changed his mind later.

Last edited:
Actually, I distinctly recall MJ saying that he thought Invincible was his best album when he did a webchat around the time the album was released.

1. Bad
2. HIStory
3. Thriller
4. Dangerous
5. Invincible
6. Off the Wall

So Michael said it just after making Off the Wall? I don't think Michael needed to announce it if he changed his mind later.

what I'm saying is, Michael never changed his mind, but he stopped discussing OTW for over 25 years, not really until the 2008 interview with Good Morning America did he make mention of it again....he stopped referring to that album because he always felt it was slighted by the recording academy and only awarding it best R&B performance/vocal

prior to that interview with Good Morning America, when discussing his career and his music, he would mention the current album he had out during that particular time, Thriller, or his days with the Jackson Five, he skipped over that entire period of OTW......that was never by coincidence...

Most recording artist will call there new Album the best album they have ever done. i do get what Bring Brighter days means back then he would have said Off The Wall was the best album he ever done cause in 1979 it was the best album he had ever done to that date in his mind.

So, basically you are saying that I was right. If you can't provide a source then it's like it never happened. It can be your favourite album. It is my least favourite. And even if MJ did say that in 1979-1980, that was true back then. In 1982 that changed, in 1987 it changed again, in 1991 again, in 1995 again, in 2001 again and it would probably change again in 2010 when he would release his new album. Your suggestions and assumptions are irrelevant. If he didn't say it than we can only guess and speculate. No one knows. I think that he though for each album he was working on that it is his best.

In 2001 he said: "'Invincible' is just as good or better than 'Thriller', in my true, humble opinion. It has more to offer."
Source: Michael Jackson USA Today Interview, 2001 - that is how you provide a source!

If you don't provide a source that is as equal as you made it up.

what I'm saying is, Michael never changed his mind, but he stopped discussing OTW for over 25 years, not really until the 2008 interview with Good Morning America did he make mention of it again....he stopped referring to that album because he always felt it was slighted by the recording academy and only awarding it best R&B performance/vocal

prior to that interview with Good Morning America, when discussing his career and his music, he would mention the current album he had out during that particular time, Thriller, or his days with the Jackson Five, he skipped over that entire period of OTW......that was never by coincidence...

Again with opinions.

1. Off The Wall, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, HIStory and Blood On The Dance Floor (After listening to all these albums this week it's now hard for me to choose one over the other. I now love them all equally)
2. Invincible

1) Dangerous
2) Bad
3) HIStory
4) Thriller
5) Invincible
6) Off The Wall

The top 3 is pretty difficult for me. Every once in a while it changes. I have my periods. Sometimes Bad is mu all time #1 and then Dangerous. And then HIStory. I hate MJ for making damn good music... It's hard to pick your all time favorite!

Where did MJ say OTW was his best album? I mean I can see him saying that when OTW was released, but you use this in a context to prove that MJ considered OTW his best album among all of his adult solo albums. So can you give us a source to where MJ said that?

So, basically you are saying that I was right. If you can't provide a source then it's like it never happened. It can be your favourite album. It is my least favourite. And even if MJ did say that in 1979-1980, that was true back then. In 1982 that changed, in 1987 it changed again, in 1991 again, in 1995 again, in 2001 again and it would probably change again in 2010 when he would release his new album. Your suggestions and assumptions are irrelevant. If he didn't say it than we can only guess and speculate. No one knows. I think that he though for each album he was working on that it is his best.

In 2001 he said: "'Invincible' is just as good or better than 'Thriller', in my true, humble opinion. It has more to offer."
Source: Michael Jackson USA Today Interview, 2001 - that is how you provide a source!

If you don't provide a source that is as equal as you made it up.

I'm not saying anything......

u first said that u are right then later say "no one knows".....

I'm not trying to prove anything and I read that USA Today in 2001 days before Invincible's release, the 4-5 page spread......I still have that

and as you said, he said quote unquote "Invincible is just as good or better than Thriller"......

and you just proved two things I've been saying the entire time

1.) he mentioned Invincible in comparison to Thriller because Thriller was the greatest selling album of all time and he spent the rest of his career trying to surpass it for the most part

2.) he once again makes no mention of OTW, which goes back to why he didn't speak on OTW for over 25 years prior to that interview with Good Morning America in 2008, he felt the omission of OTW from any Pop category recognition was a career defining slight to him, and the sting of that experience stems from the fact based on pure artistic merit, excluding his prowess in making all those videos, but on pure musical merit, MJ said his very first adult solo album was his best and his favorite to record

and more than likely when this Spike lee documentary about OTW premieres, I'm sure that it will be revealed at some point this is what MJ said himself

i notice alot of people have history as there number 2 just shows alot of fans loved that album and at the time it came out the media would do anything to bring it down saying he had lost it but that's the media for you full of shite.

Back