Is a massive "D25" box set about to be announced Monday?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you DuranDuran. This has been a practice in the music industry for around a decade now. There are many l.p.s that have been expanded into huge sets before so it is not like this is unheard of. The question is why is the Michael Jackson community so uninformed of this and why would it take someone like me to bring the news of the announcement here? Could it be as I have said for many years that the Michael Jackson fan community are highly misinformed, uninformed, and are not really interested in Michael's music, catalog, and future releases and re-releases? There is constant dismissal, and personal attacks on someone who cares and is informed from certain individuals who seem to be unaware as to what can happen.

Again if you read the original post and you were informed of basic history of Michael you would know that the "Dangerous" project lasted two years. Anything can happen during that time period. Remember "Thriller 25" was about when the project happened and not its original year it was released.

There also is no reason why more than one project could not happen at one time or at least within one year such as "The Michael Jackson Experience" video game in 2010, the compilation of unreleased tracks "Michael", and the compilation of "short promotional films" "Vision" all within that year as well. If anything we know that Sony sure are not going to spend two years promoting anything which also goes back to why the Estate needs to leave this company. Hopefully whatever is about to happen will be the last harrah with them...

Oh the irony. :rofl:

Also, let's all bow down to your superior wisdom shall we? Please, teach us all what you know about Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
Also happening Monday:

Trump quits telling us it's all been a joke
Lord Lucan is found
Life on Mars is proven
Oasis reform
Matty reveals he doesn't like Invincible that much after all

Also happening Monday:

Trump quits telling us it's all been a joke
Lord Lucan is found
Life on Mars is proven
Oasis reform
Matty reveals he doesn't like Invincible that much after all
And if none of these things happen it's all YOUR fault!!

Thank you DuranDuran. This has been a practice in the music industry for around a decade now. There are many l.p.s that have been expanded into huge sets before so it is not like this is unheard of. The question is why is the Michael Jackson community so uninformed of this and why would it take someone like me to bring the news of the announcement here? Could it be as I have said for many years that the Michael Jackson fan community are highly misinformed, uninformed, and are not really interested in Michael's music, catalog, and future releases and re-releases? There is constant dismissal, and personal attacks on someone who cares and is informed from certain individuals who seem to be unaware as to what can happen.

Again if you read the original post and you were informed of basic history of Michael you would know that the "Dangerous" project lasted two years. Anything can happen during that time period. Remember "Thriller 25" was about when the project happened and not its original year it was released.

There also is no reason why more than one project could not happen at one time or at least within one year such as "The Michael Jackson Experience" video game in 2010, the compilation of unreleased tracks "Michael", and the compilation of "short promotional films" "Vision" all within that year as well. If anything we know that Sony sure are not going to spend two years promoting anything which also goes back to why the Estate needs to leave this company. Hopefully whatever is about to happen will be the last harrah with them...

5+ disc reissues are a dime a dozen; most are soft releases with new packaging and, if we're lucky, maybe a couple new tunes/demos. I'd imagine that such projects are as rare as they are because they cost quite a bit to produce and aren't guaranteed to return an equal/greater profit. After Bad25 disappointed commercially, I can't imagine the Estate would be quick to cull together another multi-disc reissue (and especially not for Dangerous). Unawareness or disinterest isn't the issue here; it's facing reality over what the estate would do, should do, and seems willing to do.

Thriller25 was announced on the album's twenty-fifth anniversary (November 30, 2007). Nothing was announced for Dangerous on its twenty-fifth anniversary (November 26, 2016).

Sony has given Michael Jackson a bigger promotional platform than any other record label likely would. Prince's forthcoming reissue of Purple Rain includes an album's worth of new material and a concert film, and it hasn't received half the attention that Bad25, Xscape or Michael got. Same with the now-postponed Deliverance EP -- most had no clue it was happening! And that's saying something, considering the fact that the Prince market is far less saturated than the MJ market. Sony is clearly imperfect, but I cannot name a single posthumous project that has been granted more promotional attention, nor can I name a single deceased artist that has received it so consistently (including Prince, Amy Winehouse, David Bowie, and the Beatles).

We've all already established that we'd love for Dangerous to be given a celebratory reissue. It deserves it. But after the fiasco that was the 2016 "Dangerous25" celebration (remember those amazing T-shirts?), it's rather clear that the Estate has little to no interest in that album. It's a sad fact that we all have to accept sooner rather than later.

Re: classic rock

But The Beatles are baby boomer era classic rock acts. The audiences of other genres don't want to hear 10 versions of flubbed takes of the same song and studio chatter or a mono mix. Very few acts can sell this kind of sets like The Beatles or Pink Floyd. Boomers are more likely to buy certain albums over and over like Dark Side Of The Moon. I've never seen this kind of set for an R&B act, which is what Mike's main genre is.

And U2, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Paul Simon, REM, Whitney Houston, Ice Cube, Marvin Gaye, Fleetwood Mac, Wet Wet Wet, ABBA, Elton John, Cyndi Lauper...

Sony has given Michael Jackson a bigger promotional platform than any other record label likely would. Prince's forthcoming reissue of Purple Rain includes an album's worth of new material and a concert film, and it hasn't received half the attention that Bad25, Xscape or Michael got. Same with the now-postponed Deliverance EP -- most had no clue it was happening! And that's saying something, considering the fact that the Prince market is far less saturated than the MJ market. Sony is clearly imperfect, but I cannot name a single posthumous project that has been granted more promotional attention, nor can I name a single deceased artist that has received it so consistently (including Prince, Amy Winehouse, David Bowie, and the Beatles).

Sony HAS given Michael a big platform post death yes, but (and this is a big but) Bad 25 tanked in the UK because it was marketed dreadfully.

And the likes of REM, U2 (with television ads), Paul Simon (with a big primetime documentary and written press push) and some others mentioned in my other post have indeed received far bigger, and better, promotional campaigns in the UK.

When you lump in the fact that Michael is a deceased artist and you include the other projects that were adequately pushed by Sony then I find it hard to completely disagree with you. But over the years you've repeatedly alluded to Bad 25 having some wonderful PR campaign and it's simply not the case. Something I thought you had conceded when we discussed it at length a while back. MAYBE it did in other territories, absolutely not in the UK.

Promotional campaign or lack thereof aside, I think it was pretty disappointing that more fans didn't buy Bad25. There was the massive online petition for the Wembley concert and I wonder how many people who backed that went out and bought it? I still sort of regret not buying the deluxe suitcase as it's probably highly collectable at this point. I wish they had thrown in an extra cd of rarities and the Spike Lee doc to make it more worth while.

There is constant dismissal, and personal attacks on someone who cares and is informed from certain individuals who seem to be unaware as to what can happen.

We dismiss you because of your post history here, but also especially because you offer no evidence to back up anything Dangerous 25 related. Even if the Estate are announcing something, recent collaborators with the Estate point to an era other than Dangerous.

If you had posted a link to a reputable MJ source that Dangerous 25 was going to be announced on Monday, this thread would be completely different and for the better.

Never fear! More re-releases my dears! They will all be happening in bigger and better sets in a few years down the road!

Hopefully The Estate will not be involved with Sony at that point as they have not promoted any projects of his very well since "HIStory: Past, Present And Future - BOOK I" twenty years ago! I have no idea what the expectations were for "Bad 25" but it was an excellent product! Get it while you can! If you listen to the fans here nothing like that will or should be done again!

There is no reason the artists mentioned by AlwaysThere would get whatever type of promotion compared to Michael because none of them were the world's best selling recording artists and those individual releases never sold as much as certain other people's! Surely no one thinks Cameo are going to get big promotion on re-release compared to Beyonce, right? You ought to see Jay Z's hits compilation box set! That was huge though I don't think I have seen the contents. It probably has weed in it. Or drug paraphernalia. With that said I think the packaging for the re-release of "Purple Rain" is horrible! Sorry but it is a no win scenario when "digi-packaging" is used GRANTED it was a bit glorified digi-packaging. No hardcover box, book, it's small, etc...

I think without doubt more r&b artists should have expanded editions done from Mariah to Motown! Hell yes! I got one of Martha Reeves And The Vandellas that was part of a few 50th anniversary box sets that Motown did for a few of their artists! Shoot! Just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it can't be in the future! Think and dream big! Out of the wa-zoo! If you don't it won't happen! Having fans discuss what they would like MIGHT have a good impact in the long run...you never know!!!

P.S.: On a side note...I think not only should "Invincible" get re-released but a feature full length fantasy film should be made of it!!! Imagine the possibilities!!!

Last edited:
Aw yeah, I bet it's about Thriller.
I can't wait for Monday.
THISGONBGUD.gif

Hopefully.

Never fear! More re-releases my dears! They will all be happening in bigger and better sets in a few years down the road!

Hopefully The Estate will not be involved with Sony at that point as they have not promoted any projects of his very well since "HIStory: Past, Present And Future - BOOK I" twenty years ago! I have no idea what the expectations were for "Bad 25" but it was an excellent product! Get it while you can! If you listen to the fans here nothing like that will or should be done again!

There is no reason the artists mentioned by AlwaysThere would get whatever type of promotion compared to Michael because none of them were the world's best selling recording artists and those individual releases never sold as much as certain other people's! Surely no one thinks Cameo are going to get big promotion on re-release compared to Beyonce, right? You ought to see Jay Z's hits compilation box set! That was huge though I don't think I have seen the contents. It probably has weed in it. Or drug paraphernalia. With that said I think the packaging for the re-release of "Purple Rain" is horrible! Sorry but it is a no win scenario when "digi-packaging" is used GRANTED it was a bit glorified digi-packaging. No hardcover box, book, it's small, etc...

I think without doubt more r&b artists should have expanded editions done from Mariah to Motown! Hell yes! I got one of Martha Reeves And The Vandellas that was part of a few 50th anniversary box sets that Motown did for a few of their artists! Shoot! Just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it can't be in the future! Think and dream big! Out of the wa-zoo! If you don't it won't happen! Having fans discuss what they would like MIGHT have a good impact in the long run...you never know!!!

P.S.: On a side note...I think not only should "Invincible" get re-released but a feature full length fantasy film should be made of it!!! Imagine the possibilities!!!

I'll have what he's having.

I know it's very unlikely to happen....but I hope the Victory tour gets a DVD release during this 35th anniversary of Thriller

There is no reason the artists mentioned by AlwaysThere would get whatever type of promotion compared to Michael because none of them were the world's best selling recording artists and those individual releases never sold as much as certain other people's!

Three of the four artists I've mentioned (David Bowie, Prince, and the Beatles) rank among the best-selling recording artists of all time.

One of the four artists I've mentioned (the Beatles) is ranked higher than Michael.

Three of the four artists I've mentioned have at least two albums in their catalogs (Prince's Purple Rain & Sign of the Times, Bowie's Ziggy Stardust & Let's Dance, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper & Abbey Road) that hold a stronger cultural significance than Dangerous does.

So yes, there is reason why they should get a heightened level of promotion. They just don't, for whatever reasons.

Sony HAS given Michael a big platform post death yes, but (and this is a big but) Bad 25 tanked in the UK because it was marketed dreadfully.

And the likes of REM, U2 (with television ads), Paul Simon (with a big primetime documentary and written press push) and some others mentioned in my other post have indeed received far bigger, and better, promotional campaigns in the UK.

When you lump in the fact that Michael is a deceased artist and you include the other projects that were adequately pushed by Sony then I find it hard to completely disagree with you. But over the years you've repeatedly alluded to Bad 25 having some wonderful PR campaign and it's simply not the case. Something I thought you had conceded when we discussed it at length a while back. MAYBE it did in other territories, absolutely not in the UK.

I habitually speak as if it was a worldwide success, when it certainly wasn't. My apologies!

By no means was Bad25 granted an earthshaking PR campaign: the United States run was mostly adequate, and I've heard from you and others that it was practically nonexistent in the United Kingdom. When I say he received solid coverage, I'm comparing him to similar projects by deceased artists. The people you mentioned are still alive (though not all active, as is the case with REM) and therefore hold somewhat of a higher priority than, say, Michael or Tupac or Elvis, though I see where you're coming from.

The marketing most certainly wasn't top notch for Bad25, but I still profess that it was stronger than any other reissue that I've personally experienced; territory to territory will be different. I could say the same for Michael and Xscape, which had much more back to them.

Who who has natural human inclinations says, "That's good enough. We don't want anything better to happen."?! Especially when it does not concern you?! Lol. I have no doubts that the artists mentioned could and SHOULD (as I hope) have, gosh, I hope their entire catalogs re-released in glorious Super Deluxe Editions! I was just saying in comparison Michael's "Dangerous" sold far more than anything they released (I SUPPOSE you can argue the Beatles have three or four l.p.s that have sold thirty million copies worldwide). My point being was there is SOME rhyme and reasoning to some Super Deluxe Editions and sales does not always have to do with it though it DOES play into it on some level.

Have you ever been to SuperDeluxeEdition.com?! There are expanded reissues that happen all of the time for years now from all genres! Why do certain people in certain fan communities dictate what should not happen?! These are products we are talking about here! The fans, the public, and whomever get to say what they hope happens! Evidence goes to show that the things I am talking about have and do happen! ESPECIALLY for the world's best selling recording artists! There are a significant amount of fans that wish to God that people from the public, to critics, to the fan community would focus on other projects Michael did other than the Quincy Jones years! Have you all ever checked out the Jackson 5 and Jacksons recordings?! AND Michael's solo Motown l.p.s?! As a fan I hope everyone of those are re-released in all sorts of expanded editions! Whatever product having "cultural significance" does not play into what recordings get re-released as evidence by people wondering why things get such treatments while others do not! A bunch of it has to do with lawyers, copyrights, contracts, not wanting to flood markets, as well as being strategic with what gets released when and even how!

The point is all ideas and concepts can be explored in terms of new projects and re-releases! No functioning franchise is going to cease selling name brand products! Hence it does not take a stretch to come to the conclusion we are going to see more of Michael's l.p.s re-released at SOME point! Whenever that is an excuse to do a limited edition anniversary release is just wonderful!

As it is Michael like any best selling recording artist has already had a number of his recordings re-released in a number of different ways! It is common knowledge the insane amount of unreleased material from ALL projects that M.J. did so there are no surprises here! Saying "Bad 25" was not a commercial success is at best misleading. No one has attempted to address what the worldwide sales are and no one outside of the Estate, Sony, and all of their accountants are going to know "how well it did commercially". All of reality and Michael Jackson's catalog and products do not henge on the sales of one project. The critics and media made it very clear that Michael "never had commercial success again on the level of Thriller" which is entirely true on the surface but a lie at best with more than likely intent to damage by propaganda or at best mislead with the idea and concept that his products failed for the past thirty years all while ignoring he continued to be one of the best selling recordings artists with both new and old releases.

To say any product or release by M.J. has been given the promotion that "HIStory: Past, Present And Future - BOOK I" received almost a quarter of a century ago is again at best misleading and more than likely intentionally deceptive. Hello employee of Sony.

Last edited:
It's not that I don't like Dangerous. I do. In my opinion (and this is controversial), Michael's solo music got better with each album, starting with Got To Be There to Ben, all the way to Dangerous. His peak was at Dangerous; not that I dislike History, Blood, or Invincible, but they were all weaker than Dangerous, IMO.

The problem is most of the general public don't care about most of Michael's music post Bad. Most don't even remember Dangerous, especially since it came out at a controversial time in Michael's life. The two-CD 2001 Special Edition of Dangerous was never released, at least not officially. An extended release of Dangerous in 2017 is highly improbable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Then one you have not read one thing I have said or comprehended it. Lol. None of this dictates which l.p.s get Super Deluxed. You are aware that these projects happen and have for the past decade for endless l.p.s that never sold anything near what "Dangerous" sold? You really think nothing related to those projects is going to sell in the future?! Lol. It is impossible to discuss anything with people who cannot understand what is being said.

So far pretty much all the "big announcements" by the estate were about circus shows and license deals... great stuff business wise for an estate, but not necessarily what the fans are after. So better to keep expectations low. It's too early also for an announcement regarding a Thriller / Halloween project.

TBH I really couldn't care less what it is, the days of things being released without any of Michael's involvement (for obvious reasons) are over for me.

Lol this guy at it again. His posts make for a good comic relief. 8 discs for a an album that most of the general public don't even care for. They wouldn't do that for Thriller, MJ's most iconic and well know album and you expect that for Dangerous. Lol what are you smoking?

Of course, Dangerous 25 isn't happening. People should accept that. This announcement will most likely be about Thriller 35 because that's where most of the money is. The Estate will keep on milking the Thriller cow because it makes sense from a business sense, no matter how annoying it is for the fans. Personally, I want all of MJ's albums including Invincible to get a re-issue and an anniversary edition but chances of Estate ever focusing on MJ's post 80s work are as slim as zero and that's the harsh reality.

TBH I really couldn't care less what it is, the days of things being released without any of Michael's involvement (for obvious reasons) are over for me.

Why so pessimistic? Admit that you, like all of us, still want to know what will be going on. Even though that some things (okay, many) are done in a bad way for the fans.

Last good release for me was Bad25. And may be Xscape.

Why so pessimistic? Admit that you, like all of us, still want to know what will be going on. Even though that some things (okay, many) are done in a bad way for the fans.

Last good release for me was Bad25. And may be Xscape.

Well this were the last 2 of the last 3 projects.

Really, Gaz!?

How many threads, comments, users, do you think your site would have if MJ releases stopped the day he died?

So we are getting a great response here! You all would want a massive anniversary edition of "Dangerous 25! Awesome!

What would be really exciting is if they are announcing that they are leaving Sony!!! As it is whatever happens next is their last project with them concerning their contract, right?!

I cannot envision a world where the Estate walks away from Sony. The initial contract runs out this year, but I'd put money down that any future projects will be issued under the Sony brand.

For sentimental reasons, I'd hate for the Estate to leave Sony. I remember when the Jacksons signed with Epic, leaving Jermaine behind, and everyone predicted they'd fail miserably without their "sex symbol." As if it were only teenagers paying attention to them.

It's been good, bad and ugly with Sony, yes-same with Prince and Warner Brothers, but I was happy when Prince went back to them. They seem so intertwined-yes, I know Michael had his outs with Sony at one time, but there was a LOT of good too-they could have dropped him like a hot potato when the Chandler stuff hit the fan. They didn't and stuck by him. I'll always be impressed with that. And they financed a lot of the deals that got Michael's Estate back in the black.

We are all sure this announcement is for D25? For me this announcement is about Thriller 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back