Is Elvis Overrated?

I actually meant the I felt like the only few black Elvis fans sarcastically. :) I wish there was a way to translate sarcasm online. If anyone is replying to the comment I said. :unsure:

Is Elvis overrated?

Does the bear shit in the woods? Hell yes.

Elvis was a great performer and a wonderful singer and I guess in his time he was something unique but he is so way overrated.

My mom was into the Beatles but she wasn't into Elvis at all.
Growing up as a white girl in scandinavia I learned about Elvis at a young age and he was referred as the king all the time but when I got older and found the internet and was educated about music history (mostly here on MJ boards) I saw just how much overrated Elvis is. He didn't write his songs and he wasn't really that original. A lot of black artists had already done what Elvis did. I guess he did kinda introduced "black" music to white audience.

I don't believe Elvis's fans think he's overrated, and I think it's best to leave it at that, as I have seen a post that has my sentiments already.

i really do think elvis was overrated...i really like his voice, and he had a lot of hits, but what a lot of other posters have already stated, he didn't really innovate that much...and it's funny, because i remember too, reading that michael wasn't that inspired by him, yet in the opus, there is a painting by nate giorgio with all sorts of michael's influences (walt disney, lincoln, charlie chaplin (i think), but elvis was in the picture too...i was kinda surprised...even my bf said to me, ì thought you said that he wasn`t inspired by elvis...and i was like, that`s what i thought..

oh boy..what a big mistake it was for me to go on youtube and try to know elvis better. Damn some of the comments hurt me so bad, :cry: i didnt go anyfurther. :cry: hurt, got hurt real bad, i wont write it here and hurt you all. i`ll just keep it in. :cry:

^^ Complete reason why I don't like looking at comments on youtube when I watch and vids about Elvis, Michael or any music act.

I do like looking at comments about history and other academic subjects and stuff since they are usually more intelligent than an average youtube comment. And bad movies comments since they tend to be hilarious.

oh boy..what a big mistake it was for me to go on youtube and try to know elvis better. Damn some of the comments hurt me so bad, :cry: i didnt go anyfurther. :cry: hurt, got hurt real bad, i wont write it here and hurt you all. i`ll just keep it in. :cry:

awww damn i do understand at times the fans goes in they just expressing how they feel its hard at times.

I actually meant the I felt like the only few black Elvis fans sarcastically. :) I wish there was a way to translate sarcasm online. If anyone is replying to the comment I said. :unsure:

oh no I understand where u was coming from hun no big deal fam

Elvis is way over-rated. He became successful because of racism towards black people. Chuck Berry and all of the other brothers were doing what Elvis did (some would say better) before him. Elvis was successful because he was white. Michael became famous and successful despite being black. MJ was a barrier breaker, an innovator, a thrilling dancer and an awesome all-round musician (writing, singing, producing, beat-boxing).

Elvis sang black people's music and got all of the credit for it. He never wrote a song and, while shaking one leg was considered "controversial" and "exciting" back in the day, it just doesn't cut the mustard now when compared with the moonwalking, body popping, crotch grabbing, feet tapping, gliding and sliding, Elvis Presley's daughter-riding legend that is Michael Jackson. Chamone!

Oh, and message from Kanye: "Elvis fans, imma let you finish, but Michael Jackson had one of the best videos of all time!"
:rofl::D

and

great post!

Some of you ppl are ignorant. There's a difference between igornace and stupid.

Originally Posted by MJJHIStory

Oh, and message from Kanye: "Elvis fans, imma let you finish, but Michael Jackson had one of the best videos of all time!"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I just can't

my small opinion is this............Both men had so many parallels!!
Both born from humble beginnings..................both were great in their era and time.........both suferred much and were loved much!
I am biased however and although I have respect for Elvis.......MJ's father-in -law......I so so love Michael.............thats the difference..........
xxx

I know what you mean. :( I have looked at you tube vids of Elvis and Michael, and one where MJ and Lisa etc are at an Elvis tribute in 1994, the camera shows them all in the balcony............
People's comments absolutely sickened me, and saddens me that people, human beings are capable of such hate and filth!
:doh:
But I always ''thumbs down'' the bad comments, or click ''spam'' then it disappears............from view.........
one thing though............as MJ fans we are his ambassadors..............so I never reply to haters with hate, always try to say my piece politely and with love, have done so loads of times!
Don't be offended, see it as an oppurtunity to show MJ's L.O.V.E :wub:
If they dont accept it, it's their loss and to their shame!

Originally Posted by MJJHIStory

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I just can't

Okay, I will admit that this part was funny as HELL-- American history right there... so I went ahead and repped you anyway, MJJHIStory. :D

Alrighty, I'm outtie. :ph34r:

*runs away from thread again*

I don't believe Elvis is overrated. He was very significant for his genre and he has a lasting musical legacy. People who don't care for rock 'n roll may minimize his importance but that's okay, because to each his own.

I don't believe Elvis is overrated. He was very significant for his genre and he has a lasting musical legacy. People who don't care for rock 'n roll may minimize his importance but that's okay, because to each his own.

The thing is he shouldn't has been as significant as he became - that's why he is overrated. Elvis' talent doesn't deserve to be recognized as a superstar. There were many, many black artists during those days that had greater talent than Elvis, but wasn't recognized globally, or even much in US for that matter.

Come on, the guy couldn't even write his own songs. He sang good for being white and could play the guitar pretty well. But that shouldn't make you a lasting musical legacy (if you don't have the most awesome voice ever, which Elvis didn't have lol).

It's not about minimizing his importance; of course he was important because of the superstar he was, but other people deserve more credit: what about Jackie Wilson (Elvis' idol) or Sam Cooke, far better vocalists and musicians? And the songwriters to "his" songs? No, it's all about Elvis Presley!

The thing is he shouldn't has been as significant as he became - that's why he is overrated. Elvis' talent doesn't deserve to be recognized as a superstar. There were many, many black artists during those days that had greater talent than Elvis, but wasn't recognized globally, or even much in US for that matter.

Come on, the guy couldn't even write his own songs. He sang good for being white and could play the guitar pretty well. But that shouldn't make you a lasting musical legacy (if you don't have the most awesome voice ever, which Elvis didn't have lol).

It's not about minimizing his importance; of course he was important because of the superstar he was, but other people deserve more credit: what about Jackie Wilson (Elvis' idol) or Sam Cooke, far better vocalists and musicians? And the songwriters to "his" songs? No, it's all about Elvis Presley!
Well the reason i love Elvis was for his voice and his charisma on and off stage, yeah he didnt write his own songs, but neither did sinatra and he was an icon too, Elvis's voice to me was amazing, he sang with so much emotion that you believed every word he uttered, he also sang so many different styles , from rock to the blues, to gospel , country and western, he covered so many different styles perfectly, I have listened to lots of the black artists around at the same time as elvis, they were great but elvis just had something special about his voice that really moves ppl, and his charisma was intense, Yes he happened to be white,but when your special you stand out, no matter what colour you are, this is the reason michael stood out the way he did, im sure all mj fans dont just love him cos he wrote his own songs, its the whole package ppl love and makes them an idol. elvis was the only artist i ever idolised untill i became a mj fan in the early 80s, still to this day the only 2 i find incredible. some ppl just have something about them that you can't explain.

Well the reason i love Elvis was for his voice and his charisma on and off stage, yeah he didnt write his own songs, but neither did sinatra and he was an icon too, Elvis's voice to me was amazing, he sang with so much emotion that you believed every word he uttered, he also sang so many different styles , from rock to the blues, to gospel , country and western, he covered so many different styles perfectly, I have listened to lots of the black artists around at the same time as elvis, they were great but elvis just had something special about his voice that really moves ppl, and his charisma was intense, Yes he happened to be white,but when your special you stand out, no matter what colour you are, this is the reason michael stood out the way he did, im sure all mj fans dont just love him cos he wrote his own songs, its the whole package ppl love and makes them an idol. elvis was the only artist i ever idolised untill i became a mj fan in the early 80s, still to this day the only 2 i find incredible. some ppl just have something about them that you can't explain.

Have you even listened to Jackie Wilson? He was Elvis idol.

Jack Leroy "Jackie" Wilson, Jr was an American singer and performer. Known as "Mr. Excitement", Wilson was important in the transition of rhythm and blues into soul.

He was known as a master showman, and as one of the most dynamic singer and performers in R&B and rock history. Gaining fame in his early years as a member of the R&B vocal group The Dominoes, he went solo in 1957 and recorded over 50 hit singles that spanned R&B, pop, soul, doo-wop, and easy listening.

"R&B superstar known for his extraordinary multi-octave vocal range."

And for all the Elvis fans: No He Wasn´t The King Of Rock And Roll, far from it actually. The King Of Rock And Roll or should I say the Kings are Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

And my oponion is: If the 50s & 60s weren't so f**ked up with segregation, Jackie Wilson would've surpassed Elvis.

Speak up brother OffTheWall1979.

Peace

Have you even listened to Jackie Wilson? He was Elvis idol.
Yes i have listened to and watched jackie wilson, i like his voice a lot, and he was great on stage, but he just didnt have the charisma and sexiness that elvis had, and i still like elvis's voice better, Elvis was jut so unique
something special about him that is hard to explain, he was destined to become the superstar he became, he was just amazing, and jackie wilson himself loved elvis.

Yes i have listened to and watched jackie wilson, i like his voice a lot, and he was great on stage, but he just didnt have the charisma and sexiness that elvis had, and i still like elvis's voice better, Elvis was jut so unique
something special about him that is hard to explain, he was destined to become the superstar he became, he was just amazing, and jackie wilson himself loved elvis.

Didn't have charisma? Get real

I like Elvis, but not too strongly! But I do not commute TV, when hear him!

Didn't have charisma? Get real

Never said he didnt have charisma, just said he didnt have the charisma that elvis had , which was intense, even as a child i was attracted to elvis
he had something about him thats hard to explain.

I really don't understand this thread. Why do people have to talk about Elvis, wondering if he's overrated? He was a musical "king" too. Lots of people loved him. Sorry I'm just wondering why this topic came up.

I really don't understand this thread. Why do people have to talk about Elvis, wondering if he's overrated? He was a musical "king" too. Lots of people loved him. Sorry I'm just wondering why this topic came up.

Just because someone's big you can't question him/her? That's practically what you said.

Never said he didnt have charisma, just said he didnt have the charisma that elvis had , which was intense, even as a child i was attracted to elvis
he had something about him thats hard to explain.

Elvis charisma is way overrated. Look at him being fat and singing bad on hawaii for example. Amazing charisma!.....

Just because someone's big you can't question him/her? That's practically what you said.

No that's not what I meant. Elvis has been popular for a long time and he's also been gone for a long time, so I don't get why some wonder if he's overrated, that's all.

Back