Is this where Give in to me comes from?

Catherine..

Proud Member
Someone posted it on youtube and said that Give in to me was stolen from this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J60P9QCrlGQ

Blackmoon218 (18 hours ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
This opening riff AND the vocal pattern is ripped off from Suicidal Tendencies - How will I Laugh Tomorrow (1988). Really shameful.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CcqOe9WWU The comment on youtube

What do you say? Give in to me is one of my favourites ever.:cheers: I hope its not stolen

Last edited:
Wow....thats almost too close for comfort for me! Yeah, it sounds the same except for a few small trills. I wonder, though, if Slash was the one who made up that riff for Give In To Me, or if it was Michael. Because I can understand if Slash was listening to Suicidal Tendencies, but would find it only slightly odd if Michael were listening to them. Actually, I could be wrong about that.

But anyways, if Slash did make up that small riff, I can understand that. Guitar players rip off each other more than you know!

Yeah it shocked me too!

If you guys cant watch the videos, just click the side screen on the youtube thing and then click copy to clipboard and paste it

Wow. A lot of songs recently appeared claimed to be first versions of Michael's songs... I hope this isn't true, I believe in Michael's creativity and I hope he didn't "steal" songs. Oh well,even if he did,not big a deal, but hope he didn't.

Well the opening few notes are the same, with that guitar riff you can only really follow it using the "she always take it with a......" tune, Plus 3 facts.............

1: No lawsuit was ever filed, if the original artist thought michael commited Plagiarism then it would have been plastered everywhere in the papers and a messy lawsuit

2: If a lawsuit came about they base the Plagiarism on percentage of similarity between 2 songs and a few guitar notes would amount to less than 10% nowhere near enough to claim anybody copies anything

3: This song is property of SONY BMG so it seems unlikely

But anyways, if Slash did make up that small riff, I can understand that. Guitar players rip off each other more than you know!

Slash didnt make up that small riff because the riff is on the demo and Slash is not. On the demo is only bass, rhythm and vocals. No guitar.

Seems like this may have in fact been where MJ got the riff from. The year is right too as its before Dangerous and after Bad when MJ would have been gathering demos for his next album as he does all the time.

Man,..........First they say The Way you make me feel was ripped off from Everybody wants to Rule the World from Tears for Fears and now this?!?!?!?!?!?! NOt to mention the similiar dancing style to Jeffery Daniels. I never had doubts abt MJs creativity and originality...but man that was soooo similar and the beat in EWTRTW is waaaaaaaay too similar to the beat in TWYMMF!! :mellow: This is a big deal to me now.

Meh. Do we know when each song was registered with the US copyright office? Give Into Me was registered in 1990...

The riff sounds similar, but the melody is completely different.

The demo does have a guitar, just not Slash's performance. Unless there is another demo that i don't know about. :unsure:

EDIT: Oh, DI, you mean "Rhythm Guitar"

Last edited:
If it is the same riff, then for all I know Michael could have asked these guys if he could borrow it and they said yes. Artists do things like this all the time. "Give In To Me" has been out for years and years. If he had really outright stolen that part, they would have sued him by now. Also regarding "The Way You Make Me Feel" That beat was used so many times by so many people I'm not surprised. The beat of Black Velvet from Alannah Myles was a slowed down version of that beat with a slight variation in the percussion. Nobody says anything about that on there. Basically Michael's songs are Michael's in my opinion even if there's a borrowed beat or riff. Everybody saying that he steals songs are most likely haters looking for any way they can find to trash him like they always do. But more often than not he does his own thing. Some artists sample things to pieces. I'm not bothered by this at all.

Last edited:
oh the drama :doh: people say stuff on youtube all the time against Michael, and we are not behind the scenes to know how things get put together or don't. let's not feed into it.

It's hard to believe that the similiarities would have gone unnoticed at the time, when they are so obvious. And Michael being so famous/rich/popular I'm sure the members of Suicidal Tendecies would have used that opportunity and point out the similiarities between their song and Michael's, saying they were the "originals". So maybe they gave him the permission to use it, dunno though.

Last edited:
michael isnt the first to take another melody from a previous song and put it in his own music. its done in america all the time over and over!!...premission or (not) sometimes.
is it not common anywhere else??????
whats the big deal? he also lipsynced billie jean on motown 25 so he can concentrate on his dancing....
would you guys stop trying to make him perfect. he is creative but he does things other artists do as well.

It's hard to believe that the similiarities would have gone unnoticed at the time, when they are so obvious. And Michael being so famous/rich/popular I'm sure the members of Suicidal Tendecies would have used that opportunity and point out the similiarities between their song and Michael's, saying they were the "originals". So maybe they gave him the permission to use it, dunno though.

I agree with you. If it was stolen surely it would have been EVERYWHERE. Thats a fact.

It is easy to come up with similar melodies. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to cause a fight or stir things up. I would never do that, especially to Michael. I just came across this on youtube and wanted to find out what my fellow MJ fans thought of this. If it was heard of before... I actually posted it because I assumed I was almost 20 years late.:tease:

Last edited:
to tell you the truth such a thought has crossed my mind...

hope you don't mind....
Well thanks for your honesty but I'm not. I wanted to know if any of you had heard anything about it, because this was the first I heard of it. I posted hoping someone would clarify or give me information about it. Why would I want to dig or stir things up about Michael? Hes my favourite artist of all time, and I just wanted to get info on something regarding a song he created, if it was a sample or what... I had no idea about it until I saw that comment, which by the way, I rated a thumbs down.:mello:

I'm sorry if it makes you feel uneasy or if you think I'm a ***** trying to dethrone Michael from his creative genius. But that is not why I asked at all. I wanted someone to clear it up for me, not for people act like I'm just an evil MJ hater.

If somebody wants to you can delete this thread, because I don't want any trouble, and I dont want to be seen as a sly evil hater or something, I'm sorry.

Well thanks for your honesty but I'm not. I wanted to know if any of you had heard anything about it, because this was the first I heard of it. I posted hoping someone would clarify or give me information about it. Why would I want to dig or stir things up about Michael? Hes my favourite artist of all time, and I just wanted to get info on something regarding a song he created, if it was a sample or what... I had no idea about it until I saw that comment, which by the way, I rated a thumbs down.:mello:

I'm sorry if it makes you feel uneasy or if you think I'm a ***** trying to dethrone Michael from his creative genius. But that is not why I asked at all. I wanted someone to clear it up for me, not for people act like I'm just an evil MJ hater.

If somebody wants to you can delete this thread, because I don't want any trouble, and I dont want to be seen as a sly evil hater or something, I'm sorry.
it's OK, Catherine
you've explained it well

peace, girl....:)

after all it's a message board, right?
regards, Kate, cinderella

thats no big deal, thats not enough to say he stole if u ask me cos theres alot more to that song then just that riff

So every song on the planet should sound completely different from every other song?

Whoa, that's a task.

Soon enough we'll get so desperate to make "completely original" music that we'll just be banging on trash cans and having monkey sounds in the background with spaceship laser beam sound effects and melodies that that are way out of whack, but hey they're original and no one has ever used it before...so that's all that would matter.

lol, but yeah...the intros are kind of similar...but it's obvious they're also different too.

I really never liked that song (Michael's song)...but I actually like the song by Suicidal Tendencies.

And like someone else has stated here, if anyone gave a sh** about this, it would have been national news. "Michael Jackson Gets Sued for Ripping Off of an Intro Riff from The Wildly Popular Band, Suicidal Tendencies".

Honestly, anyone would jump at the opportunity to sue Michael (and they have). Why not in this case?

Hmm.....

And I'm sure Suicidal Tendencies are the first to have ever come up with a riff that is similar to this...[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
This was discussed long, long ago either here or on KOPD, although I can't locate the thread anymore. I don't recall anymore whether someone who worked on the production of this Suicidal Tendencies song also worked on parts of GITM, if it was just a coincidence, or what--but either way there was never any lawsuit filed about the similarities. I know that "How Will I Sleep Tonight" was released soon after the band signed on with Epic and did a major switch-up of their band members (to the point where only one original member remained) but there was never any accusations by the band itself against Michael for plagiarism.

I'm sure if you trace any song back far enough, you'll find similarities, many of which are purely coincidental. If you listen to "Alone Again" by Dokken you'll again hear similarities to Give In To Me at different parts of the song, and that song is from way back in 1984. In the "Will You Be There" lawsuit (when Michael was found not guilty) the song was compared to very ancient "blues" songs from the 1920s and still similarities were found.

Last edited:
Back