J5 or Jacksons

Jackson 5 turned into the Jacksons, after Jermaine left. Is that correct?
yes basically when the j5 left motown. they couldnt use the j5 name so they became the jacksons instead. and jerm left when the the j5 left motown

they recorded triumph and victory as the jacksons. this was around 81 and 84 so when mj had done otw,thriller but after that mj left offically and he wasnt involved much with the victory album and was pushed to the victory tour to make money for the bros instead of touring thriller. a few of the bros did 2300 jackson street around 89 but it did nothing and mj wasnt invovled bar taking part in the 2300 jackson street video. (the one with all the family members in) jerm had a few solo hits but basically after the victory album that was it for the bros

re the question thats a hard one. its like picking your fav pet/kid. really cant say as they are 2 very different sounds each with their own merits.

And then what happened?

Once Michael moved onto his solo career, did the brothers ever record an album without Michael or did they just stop recording all together once Michael was no longer a part of the group?

I sort of lost track once they were no longer called the Jackson 5.
They did record an album which was published back in 1989. ''2300 |Jackson street''. Although Michael did sing in the backgroud and chorus of the title song, the album failed big time. It bombed at the charts, nobody was interested, all of them tried their luck in having solo careers though thruout the 80s, after MJ's enormous success with Thriller, none of them succeeded. They thought they'd be able to achieve the same amount of success/fame as their brother did but unfortunately destiny wasn't on their side. :no:

2300 Jackson Street

And then what happened?

Once Michael moved onto his solo career, did the brothers ever record an album without Michael or did they just stop recording all together once Michael was no longer a part of the group?

I sort of lost track once they were no longer called the Jackson 5.
Mike & Marlon quit after Victory, but the other 4 released this album in 1989.
113908303.jpg

Thank you ALL for filling me in. LOL! I feel kind of silly, I recall 2300 Jackson Street, but I thought it was just a song, and not the name of any entire album.

Sorry that the brothers were not able to find success in their solo endeavors.

I was thinking that "maybe" after Jermaine sang at the memorial that would have kick started something for him. I recall days after there was talk of releasing the song on itunes, but nothing ever happened. I figured that may have worked in Jermaine's favor, but I guess at the end, nobody was interested.

the bros problem was that mj was so successful and so talented that no one really cared about them kinda like why would you be a fan of marlon when u could have mike. you could never compete with that so would have been better off moving away from trying to be artists in their own right to something else

yes basically when the j5 left motown. they couldnt use the j5 name so they became the jacksons instead. and jerm left when the the j5 left motown

they recorded triumph and victory as the jacksons.
You forgot The Jacksons (1976--1st album after leaving J5) and Destiny (1978).

the question was inregard to albums made after had his solo success with off the wall etc

Competition

the bros problem was that mj was so successful and so talented that no one really cared about them kinda like why would you be a fan of marlon when u could have mike. you could never compete with that so would have been better off moving away from trying to be artists in their own right to something else
Why does it has to be a competition? That's like saying "Why should I buy John Lennon's records, when I could buy George Harrison's instead?" Or "I won't buy this George Clinton album, because I can only listen to Bootsy Collins' solo stuff." There's room for everybody. In the jazz field, there's the Laws siblings (Hubert, Debra, Ronnie, & Eloise) who each had success. Different members of the Winans family were popular in the gospel market. Then there were groups like Genesis & New Edition whose members had success with individual albums.

Genesis: Phil Collins, Mike + The Mechanics, & Peter Gabriel. Tony Banks & Steve Hackett didn't have mainstream popularity with solo albums but each had a cult audience. Phil Collins' other band Brand X also had cult popularity.

New Edition: Bell Biv Devoe, Johnny Gill, Bobby Brown, & Ralph Tresvant

The Beatles also had success as solo acts, but Paul was the most popular.

not saying its a comp but when u have someone as talented as mj of course the bros are gonna struggle when you are just and average soul singer. cant compair any of the other artists u name with the situation the bros were facing with mj because its michael jackson. all the others were pretty much on the same level so it was easier for them to do their own thing

For sentimental reasons, I would choose the Jackson 5. I just associate that music and that time with my early childhood so much (8 to 10 years old). Plus, there was that J5 hysteria that made it so memorable. But I love Michael's voice and the group's more mature sound during the later Jacksons years too which were my teen years.

They should have made effort to carry on. Or did their efforts just fail? Tut.. I do like the Jacksons music.. not sure which J5 or Jacksons..both.. they both include MJ, just one didn't include Jermaine?

Just watching Britain's Got Talent and a group of 13 - 15 year old lads just came on singing. They said The Jackson Five were one of their big inspirations.

Your right, it must be hard for the entire Jackson family, most of them have nice voices, but Michael was just so amazing he made them look like nobodies.
Maybe with the exception of Janet, but even she gets shaddowed by MJ at times

anyway back to topic I like the Jacksons more I think, I just LOVE the destiny and triumph albums :wub:

I like the Jacksons or later J5 stuff better, for a couple of reasons. I just really love Michael's voice during this time period, and also they had more creative control. Jackson 5 is great and they just got better over time. :)

Solo

They should have made effort to carry on. Or did their efforts just fail? Tut.. I do like the Jacksons music.. not sure which J5 or Jacksons..both.. they both include MJ, just one didn't include Jermaine?
Jermaine released 13 solo albums from the J5 days to 1991. After that, nothing. He had some success on the R&B charts, but never really crossed over much. Jermaine had more of a crooner image like Freddie Jackson, Peabo Bryson, or Alexander O'Neal, and wasn't a performer or entertainer. So he tended to appeal more to an older audience, not the younger mainstream demographic who were more likely to buy records, like with Janet. Tito is the only one that hasn't released a solo record, although he recorded one at Motown in the 70's that was never released.

Back