Jackson family tribute concert / October 8th, 2011 / Initial details @ post 87

Do you plan to attend Michael Forever Tribute?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 162 91.0%

• Total voters
I dont think it has anything to do with any celebrity status, not from what I've seen. We are bystanders, we dont know these people personally and probably never will. However, in life, public actions are the only thing you can "judge" people on. No one here I think knew Pol Pot, or Ceausescu personally. But you know what they did. You know their actions, and that's how you can make an opinion on them. If someone steals your wallet, you wont have a very good opinion of them, but you dont know them personally.(unless you have weird friends but that's another story). I, and many others from what I've read, mad an opinion on that concert and the involvement of part of the Jackson family, according of what I know and what I've seen, from their public actions. Re- Oprah interview, whatever KJ's feelings about her son physical appearance, I dont think it was necessary to talk about it publicly (again), on Tv, and especially on Oprah. Considering the kind of criticism, ridicule, and rumors Michael had to go through because of it, it was absolutely inappropriate.
well said

Thank you!! That little cheap shot really set me OFF! I'll say it again, my loyalty is to MJ, NOT the JACKSON'S.

The only ppl trying to destroy his legacy are his family.saying they feel sorry for murray calling mj a terrible parent calling him a druggie. Some of the few ppl who loved him unconditionally were his fans as stated by mj many a times.

Fine if your care about the family more than mj. Then perhaps you should be posting on a jackson family board.because obviously the ppl on this board support mj.

Because we dont all share the same opinion on it, I guess. That would not be fair for those who either support or have no definite opinion. :/

Well there is a facebook page that was created as place fans go to express their views against the tribute. Maybe more people should bring that to the awareness of the public. All we need is for people to be aware of the situation so they make their own choice to attend.

That may be, but it shouldn't be that hard to mention in your statement that some do, and some don't, I guess... hence the reason for the poll.I stand behind the MJFC, so I'm all for them on that statement. I only wonder though, why other fan groups can get a consensus that is fair, and report that, without straddling the fence, this is no criticism just observation. Noone ever agrees on EVERYTHING.

I know. I dont know how they decide to release those statements. I havent heard about any other forum doing it. Considering my opinion, I would agree, but from what I know, Gaz is more in favor of uniting the fan base; I guess publishing something like that would divide us even more. It's ok to discuss it and compare facts and feelings, but officially stating that this is the opinion of the forum, to me, it's a big step. I dont know.

^^Maybe the forum made a poll and saw the majority were against it, so released a statement. Sometimes, you have to take a stand on one decision even though a group may have individuals with different ideas. 2 Jacksons were against the tribute at this time, but the majority wanted it, so the majority won in this case.

To me a fan base would have more clout if as a unit they can say we do not like the way in which this tribute is planned due to XYZ, and we have a say because we are the ones paying for this product.

I dont think it has anything to do with any celebrity status, not from what I've seen. We are bystanders, we dont know these people personally and probably never will. However, in life, public actions are the only thing you can "judge" people on. No one here I think knew Pol Pot, or Ceausescu personally. But you know what they did. You know their actions, and that's how you can make an opinion on them. If someone steals your wallet, you wont have a very good opinion of them, but you dont know them personally.(unless you have weird friends but that's another story). I, and many others from what I've read, mad an opinion on that concert and the involvement of part of the Jackson family, according of what I know and what I've seen, from their public actions.

Re- Oprah interview, whatever KJ's feelings about her son physical appearance, I dont think it was necessary to talk about it publicly (again), on Tv, and especially on Oprah. Considering the kind of criticism, ridicule, and rumors Michael had to go through because of it, it was absolutely inappropriate.

I don't know if you were referring to my post, but I think it's a matter of proportion. Being a mass killer or deranged dictator who oppressed millions is a bit easier to 'judge' than a family organising a tribute concert for their deceased superstar family member. For what they've 'done' the reactions are outrageously overdramatic, comparing the kids to caged monkeys and whatnot (I don't even want to repeat the rudeness I read here), and just plain inappropiate. It's no different than the salivating wolves (e.g. tabloids and professional haters) who were all too eager to turn Michael's maybe questionable moves into the worst sensational story possible.

Also in general, I really don't like this debating style when if you don't join the gang bashing Jacksons, you're automatically labeled a Jacksons stan, 'your loyalty lies with Jacksons', being called blind, or naive. Things are not this black and white. Thankfully.

I don't know if you were referring to my post, but I think it's a matter of proportion. Being a mass killer or deranged dictator who oppressed millions is a bit easier to 'judge' than a family organising a tribute concert for their deceased superstar family member. For what they've 'done' the reactions are outrageously overdramatic, comparing the kids to caged monkeys and whatnot (I don't even want to repeat the rudeness I read here), and just plain inappropiate. It's no different than the salivating wolves (e.g. tabloids and professional haters) who were all too eager to turn Michael's maybe questionable moves into the worst sensational story possible.

Also in general, I really don't like this debating style when if you don't join the gang bashing Jacksons, you're automatically labeled a Jacksons stan, 'your loyalty lies with Jacksons', being called blind, or naive. Things are not this black and white. Thankfully.

The comparisons were extreme but it was a bit on purpose to try to make myself clear. :)

Of course nothing is black and white. They all have reasons to do what they do. KJ wants to know her other kids will be financially ok. I strongly believe it's the explanation for everything she's been doing. Of course, I speculate b/c she has not told me. She's a mother. She persuaded Michael to stay in the Jacksons a bit longer even when he wanted out : "you dont need your brothers, but your brothers need you". She tried to convince him several times to keep working with them, instead of with "outsiders". She's a "family first" kind of woman. Is that bad? No one would ever say that.

It doesnt change the fact that she IS using those kids. Caged monkeys, yes, it's a violent image. But what she's doing IS violent. Not physically of course. I am sure she loves those kids, just like she loved Michael. She's still using them for "the common good", like she used Michael sometimes.

Like you said we are bystanders, which makes us a bit powerless (not totally though). It's that powerlessness that triggers despair, and anger at the actions we witness. The disrespect for those kids who are what was most precious to Michael, the disrespect for his legacy, and the disrespect for us. That's where the violent words come from. I'm not saying I agree, but I sure understand.

Re-debating style, you maybe right. I think maybe we should all take a deep breath, and try to be very clear when we express ourselves. It's really difficult to be totally clear through keyboards and screens. Anger gives bad advice, and there's a lot of anger. I think we should all keep in mind that we're on this board for the same reason, which is the unconditional love for the same man, who changed our lives.

The comparisons were extreme but it was a bit on purpose to try to make myself clear. :)

Of course nothing is black and white. They all have reasons to do what they do. KJ wants to know her other kids will be financially ok. I strongly believe it's the explanation for everything she's been doing. Of course, I speculate b/c she has not told me. She's a mother. She persuaded Michael to stay in the Jacksons a bit longer even when he wanted out : "you dont need your brothers, but your brothers need you". She tried to convince him several times to keep working with them, instead of with "outsiders". She's a "family first" kind of woman. Is that bad? No one would ever say that.

It doesnt change the fact that she IS using those kids. Caged monkeys, yes, it's a violent image. But what she's doing IS violent. Not physically of course. I am sure she loves those kids, just like she loved Michael. She's still using them for "the common good", like she used Michael sometimes.

Like you said we are bystanders, which makes us a bit powerless (not totally though). It's that powerlessness that triggers despair, and anger at the actions we witness. The disrespect for those kids who are what was most precious to Michael, the disrespect for his legacy, and the disrespect for us. That's where the violent words come from. I'm not saying I agree, but I sure understand.

Re-debating style, you maybe right. I think maybe we should all take a deep breath, and try to be very clear when we express ourselves. It's really difficult to be totally clear through keyboards and screens. Anger gives bad advice, and there's a lot of anger. I think we should all keep in mind that we're on this board for the same reason, which is the unconditional love for the same man, who changed our lives.

Wonderful post. Thanks.

We should keep that in mind indeed. Frustration and anger and the easy anonymous forum that is the internet make these reactions possible, but that does not make them right. I do believe words matter. It's not just an unimportant byproduct of the conversation or debate but determines the entire fruitfulness, depth, effectivity and atmosphere of it. That's why I don't like papers trashy papers like the English tabloids, they only feed on negativity and half-truths, but do like to see real topics adressed and different views expressed in a good newspaper or weekly. Maybe I'm expecting too much from my fellow fans, but yes, I think the Jacksons (or anyone for that matter) deserve a little better than the tabloid treatment from us.

I haven't seen Smokey's name up on the website listing which is: 3T, Alien Ant Farm, Cee Lo Green, Christina Aquilera, Craig David, Jackson Brothers, JLS, Leona Lewis.

Not exactly a galaxy of stars in my opinion, but they say there's more to come.

Alexandra Burke fans have launched a petition for the singer to be allowed to perform at the upcoming Michael Jackson tribute concert.

The event, which is set to take place on October 8 at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, will see performances from Christina Aguilera, Leona Lewis, JLS, Craig David and Cee Lo Green.

Alexandra Burke previously told fans over Twitter: "Wow.. heard about the MJ tribute concert later this year, what a spectacle that would be and an honour to perform... I so wanna perform!!"
Having missed out on being invited to perform, Burke's fans have issued a statement expressing their desire for the singer to perform.

The statement reads: "As you all know, singer and X Factor winner Alexandra Burke has always been a huge fan of Michael Jackson, and he has always been an inspiration to her both personally and musically.

"This is reflected in her MJ-inspired song 'Dangerous', along with the dance tribute to him she often does when performing that song live. When Michael passed away, she was devastated, and was one of the first artists to express her sadness, yet undying love for the King of Pop.

"Alexandra herself has expressed a burning desire to perform at the event, and pay tribute to one of her greatest musical inspirations on the stage in Cardiff on the 8th of October. This petition has been put in place to make that happen."

http://www.gigwise.com/news/65853/A...unch-Michael-Jackson-Tribute-Concert-Petition

It's starting to sound like an 'X factor' concert.......
..and I think I did see Smokey Robinson's name somewhere on one of the tribute pages.....

Alexandra B with an MJ medley from about 1.42

Last edited:
^^For goodness sake, why after an issue has been put to rest pages ago, it has to be rehashed? By now we know that some people think the tribute is OK because the family has the right to do it regardless of their motives. Some think the timing is wrong, the contract stipulations are immoral, and the family is doing it for the wrong reasons. The End. The poll speaks for itself. In fact, the POLL won the debate!!!! The poll says what the majority of the people think. To use some bad English: the poll ain't lying.

Now I thought the next family disclosure would be on Monday, but someone said tomorrow. What is the correct day?

Ben good posts by the way.

PS: tell Alexandra to wait for the real tribute to come out and don't feel bad. I am not going to be there either.

^^For goodness sake, why after an issue has been put to rest pages ago, it has to be rehashed? By now we know that some people think the tribute is OK because the family has the right to do it regardless of their motives. Some think the timing is wrong, the contract stipulations are immoral, and the family is doing it for the wrong reasons. The End. The poll speaks for itself. In fact, the POLL won the debate!!!! The poll says what the majority of the people think. To use some bad English: the poll ain't lying.

Now I thought the next family disclosure would be on Monday, but someone said tomorrow. What is the correct day?

Ben good posts by the way.

PS: tell Alexandra to wait for the real tribute to come out and don't feel bad. I am not going to be there either.

Is this adressed to me? I don't see how this is a response to my post to be honest. I never even stated I think the tribute is ok, I didn't even vote in the poll. It was not about winning or losing a debate, it was about manners, or lack thereof. You mean, by THE END, there should be nothing else but Jacksons bashing allowed in here? I truly don't understand.

Any news about how many tickets have been sold so far.

Ivy in a stadium of that size how many seat they would have to sell for the venture to be profitable? Of course we do not know all their costs, but can you give a rough idea? Thanks.

That may be, but it shouldn't be that hard to mention in your statement that some do, and some don't, I guess... hence the reason for the poll.I stand behind the MJFC, so I'm all for them on that statement. I only wonder though, why other fan groups can get a consensus that is fair, and report that, without straddling the fence, this is no criticism just observation. Noone ever agrees on EVERYTHING.

Sorry I mean't to respond to another statement you made not this one.

Last edited:

I dont think the poll is actually accurate. There must be more than 6 000 members here, and not even 200 voted. The poll ain't lying but the poll ain't done talking. ;)

But we're going in circles again you're right, and that can't be good for the atmosphere. Let's wait and see what happens? When we know more?

By the way, so sorry, I'm the one who said tomorrow was the press conference. It IS monday. I was so sure it was sunday already. Apologies people. Old age and stuff.

Ben the poll does not represent the true picture of the whole forum, but it does for those who voted. For those who took part it ain't lying. At election time not all those who are of age vote, but someone wins and he/she is seen the winner of the district/group. However, I get your drift.

So not tomorrow. Then we will see on Monday what new artists have been signed up.

one thing is clear after this tribute that Jackie and tito are equally using the kids .i think i was blinded by randy ,jermain and latoya because whateever they did ,they did it in public,ok let me exclude jermain because he is still using Michael for his venture.so now it is clear that whole family is using those poor kids.
so i don't have to go by their loving uncle image ,smh

By the way, so sorry, I'm the one who said tomorrow was the press conference. It IS monday. I was so sure it was sunday already. Apologies people. Old age and stuff.

what is it for? 2 announce new artists?

they are closing the ticket registrations on tuesday

It won't be a press conference. I remember the CNN report said an interview with Katherine (the busiest 82 year old on the planet!!) and someone from Global Event.

Ivy, I don't think they will registrations this on tuesday. But hopefully they will...and I am praying registration is low enough for them to re-think that farce.

Please like this page on Facebook... they need more people. MJ fans against the money grab

I am not part of this group, but I think if enough people like the page this movement might get more press.

I am afraid to say anything to be honest. I got deleted yesterday. Never happened before and I never said anything rude. All the comments similar to what I said with regards to the family. I feel sad about it. The family will do what they want. My thoughts are going to be on the trial now and hopefully down the line something special will happen for Michael. Who knows what will happen.

It won't be a press conference. I remember the CNN report said an interview with Katherine (the busiest 82 year old on the planet!!) and someone from Global Event.

Please like this page on Facebook... they need more people. MJ fans against the money grab

But Katherine does not know much about the details of the event. I could be wrong but didn't she say that after she was told who would take part she knows her son would love, or was that said by someone else in the conference. Well after the conference we found out they did not book the artists yet, so what details does Katherine have.

Marebear somehow, your last post made me feel very sad. You sound so disillusioned. Can someone send Marebear the huggy smilies for me.

I am afraid to say anything to be honest. I got deleted yesterday. Never happened before and I never said anything rude. All the comments similar to what I said with regards to the family. I feel sad about it. The family will do what they want. My thoughts are going to be on the trial now and hopefully down the line something special will happen for Michael. Who knows what will happen.

But Katherine does not know much about the details of the event. I could be wrong but didn't she say that after she was told who would take part she knows her son would love, or was that said by someone else in the conference. Well after the conference we found out they did not book the artists yet, so what details does Katherine have.

Marebear somehow, your last post made me feel very sad. You sound so disillusioned. Can someone send Marebear the huggy smilies for me.

Sending them to her, you and everyone!

:huggy: :huggy: :huggy:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

^^ That is my question as well - did GL lie to Katherine about who was on board or did Mrs Jackson wilfully lie to us on behalf of GL?

Any news about how many tickets have been sold so far.

Ivy in a stadium of that size how many seat they would have to sell for the venture to be profitable? Of course we do not know all their costs, but can you give a rough idea? Thanks.

it will depend on how much they spend. They will try to keep cost as low as possible because this tribute is a one shot deal.

They cannot expect to tap into broadcasting's lucrative market because they don't have permission to use MJ's songs..unless singers will be limited to non-MJ written songs like, Human nature, Off the wall, thriller..and others.

But no one can say how many tickets they have to sell to cover: rental cost, performers' fees, residual etc. and make a profit. Only their accountant would know.

^^ That is my question as well - did GL lie to Katherine about who was on board or did Mrs Jackson wilfully lie to us on behalf of GL?

Well, she lied to a judge about Michael dying without a will...

Back