Janelle Monae

I love her sample of Rock With You on the new album :wub:

Thats a semi-MJ old skool inspired track,you can hear that Rock with you drum in the beginning with some Latin flavor mixed with it, one of my fav tracks on the album.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Ok so ever since I visited this thread I've been playing her songs and videos so much lol
She is great :) In fact now I am recommending her to friends of mine.
I hope I can buy her album. I'm not sure though 'cause she doesn't get much exposure so I don't know if her album will be on sale here in Holland.

I swear, I don't know why this kind of music doesn't get the praise it deserves. I really don't understand people nowadays.
I do think this is one artist people should pay attention too, maybe once the (I guess I should say mainstream) public will get back to appreciating music for the music she could become really big.

Also I love that she doesn't feel the need to take her clothes of in her videos or when she performs. I'm not a prude or anything but it is refreshing to see that you can be interesting and make great music as a female without over using-sex.

I love her !
I listening to this song (she is moonwalking at 4:07)

I think her forward moonwalk is wonderful..I have not really seen anyone do that,, James Brown did a move that was similar but She does it very well

^^^^A foward moonwalk is called the "camelwalk". Technically what most people know as a moonwalk is really called the glide or backslide. A real moonwalk is doing that in a circular movement in one place.

For the MJ fans in here who like Janelle, there is a new fansite called NeonValleyStreet.com..feel free to check it out and join the forums!

She's fanstastic! I've really got into her recently. Seen a lot of hype about her on twitter and this thread here made me check her out. Definitely want to get her new album. Very refreshing to discover a current artist like her!

no the move I am talking abour duran is not the camel walk...it is the move janelle monae did in mny moons and jb did it sometimes in papas got a brand new bag dance...it is slightly different

the ArchAndroid is soooooo good! best album of the year easy! i been listening to it nonstop and when i'm not, im wishing i was! this hasn't happened in a while.......

she reminds me a LOT of andre 3000 with her creativity

Ok just wanted to bump this thread. I just realised how great her lyrics are.
I knew it had substance but take a look at these lyrices for example:

"Locked Inside"

"I'm locked inside
A land called foolish price
Where the man is always right
He hates to talk but loves to fight
Is that all right?

On real cold days
He loans us lots of hate
But he says that we must pay
To take it all away
Is that okay?

But I'm asking you will you stay with me
In this land where we are free
And I know it's rough
And you've had enough
But one day we'll be happy

**And when I look into the future I see danger in its eyes
Hearts of hatred rule the land while love is left aside
Killing plagues the citizens while music slowly dies
I get frightened, I - see, I get frightened, I...**

Oh how, oh how I need you baby
To keep me from going crazy
I really need you baby
Need you to stay

Oh how, oh how I love you baby
These people are so crazy
I really need you baby
Need you to stay

She's quick to fight
For her man but not her rights
Even though it's 3005
When will we end this genocide?
And that's not right
Her children cry
No food to eat and her friends as flies
The color black means it's time to die
And nobody questions why
Cause they're too scared to stop the man

And I know it's rough
And you've had enough

And when I look into the future I see danger in its eyes
I get frightened, I - see, I get frightened, I...

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

I can make a change
I can start a fire
Lord make me love again
Fill me with desire

I can make a change
I can start a fire
Make me love again
Lord thank You for desire

And when I look into your pretty eyes I almost want to cry
I think about my life and I don't want to live a lie
How I need you baby, I need you right by my side
I need you tonight, I need you tonight

Yeah! How I need you baby
See i can't let you go, I need you
On the other side
On the other side

I love you so and I'll never let you go
On the other side! "

I swear especially the chorus part is so how I feel about the world right now.
(and the part about music goes along with mainstream music nowadays imo ;) )

Again why doesn't this girl get more attention? I really don't get it. This is the best new album I've heard in like what 4 years?
She needs someone who will expose her to the rest of the world not just in the USA.

i really like her style and am i the only who think the archandroid album should had debuted at num 1 on billboard instead of 17 but anywhere i like how she has the city of jeruslaem on her head on the album cover

Awesomeness!! 45 minute Janelle Monae concert in a super intement setting. plus 15 minute interview which oddly in the middle of it! Concert is pro-shot. and it's free and legit! :) Put up my Los Angeles radio station KCRW.

This is the truth right here!! She is sooo awesome live!!

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb100702janelle_monae

*click on the link that says "watch" above the Arch Andriod cover

Set list:

Dance or Die
Faster
Locked Inside
*Band Jam*
Smile
Cold War
Tightrope

*Interview*

Mushrooms & Roses
Violet Stars Happy Hunting!
Many Moons

People, she's not mainstream because she's on a terrible label.

Ok just wanted to bump this thread. I just realised how great her lyrics are.
I knew it had substance but take a look at these lyrices for example:

"Locked Inside"

"I'm locked inside
A land called foolish price
Where the man is always right
He hates to talk but loves to fight
Is that all right?

On real cold days
He loans us lots of hate
But he says that we must pay
To take it all away
Is that okay?

And I know it's rough
And you've had enough

**And when I look into the future I see danger in its eyes
I get frightened, I - see, I get frightened, I...**

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

She's quick to fight
For her man but not her rights
Even though it's 3005
When will we end this genocide?
And that's not right
Her children cry
No food to eat and her friends as flies
The color black means it's time to die
And nobody questions why
Cause they're too scared to stop the man

And I know it's rough
And you've had enough

And when I look into the future I see danger in its eyes
I get frightened, I - see, I get frightened, I...

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

I really need you baby
Need you to stay

I can make a change
I can start a fire
Lord make me love again
Fill me with desire

I can make a change
I can start a fire
Make me love again
Lord thank You for desire

And when I look into your pretty eyes I almost want to cry
I think about my life and I don't want to live a lie
How I need you baby, I need you right by my side
I need you tonight, I need you tonight

Yeah! How I need you baby
See i can't let you go, I need you
On the other side
On the other side

I love you so and I'll never let you go
On the other side! "

I swear especially the chorus part is so how I feel about the world right now.
(and the part about music goes along with mainstream music nowadays imo ;) )

Again why doesn't this girl get more attention? I really don't get it. This is the best new album I've heard in like what 4 years?
She needs someone who will expose her to the rest of the world not just in the USA.

What genius. Amazing.

I've just caught her video 'Tightrope' by accident. Really caught my attention, incredible dancing & look. Great.

Janelle is in this OutKast video from their last album Idlewild. She's not singing though. She's in the car with Big Boi.
[youtube]VHNSmlZ9Rwo&fmt=18[/youtube]

I just read an interview she did with NME magazine on her site.
(http://www.jmonae.com/ )
It casually mentioned that she was hanging out with Prince who she calls her friend and mentor and Quincy Jones. For some reason that just made me feel excited for her :)

I know I probably shouldn't say this (since I don't know him personally) but I have a feeling that if Michael would still be here he would have shown interest in her just like Prince is doing now.. Just a feeling I have after listening to her album over and over again ;) Especially with the classical music touch on her album.
But I guess we wil never know.

She seems very nice and respectfull towards her fans too. I saw she tweeted the following :

"And children that bring their parents!!!... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

It's a blessing to have parents bring their children to our live experiences. That means so much to me... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

I'm just so thankful.... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

Hartford CT is a force to be reckoned with. Waited n the rain for us and knew exactly how to act! We thank u. From the heart.... 1 day ago "

Also she is going to be on the August cover for JET magazine. Hopefully I can find a copy somewhere when it comes out.

I am absolutely in love with her, she seems so sweet and has her head in the right place. Her album is FANTASTIC and I recommend it to all MJ fans, you'd definitely enjoy it!

I had no idea who she was until my dad started playing that Tightrope song and I was very impressed. I like her and think she has a strong career ahead, she seems very different and stands out amongst all the dance/techno music out at the moment.

Also, you can tell she has been inspired by MJ in the Tighrope video with the dance moves, it's almost like a modern moonwalk that she does in that video.

Also, you can tell she has been inspired by MJ in the Tighrope video with the dance moves, it's almost like a modern moonwalk that she does in that video.
Looks more James Brown to me.

"Tightrope" video is more James Brown inspired but she does a reversed Moonwalk in her "Many Moons" video. She has said before that she is a big MJ fan.

I just read an interview she did with NME magazine on her site.
(http://www.jmonae.com/ )
It casually mentioned that she was hanging out with Prince who she calls her friend and mentor and Quincy Jones. For some reason that just made me feel excited for her :)

I know I probably shouldn't say this (since I don't know him personally) but I have a feeling that if Michael would still be here he would have shown interest in her just like Prince is doing now.. Just a feeling I have after listening to her album over and over again ;) Especially with the classical music touch on her album.
But I guess we wil never know.

She seems very nice and respectfull towards her fans too. I saw she tweeted the following :

"And children that bring their parents!!!... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

It's a blessing to have parents bring their children to our live experiences. That means so much to me... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

I'm just so thankful.... 1 day agoJanelleMonae

Hartford CT is a force to be reckoned with. Waited n the rain for us and knew exactly how to act! We thank u. From the heart.... 1 day ago "

Also she is going to be on the August cover for JET magazine. Hopefully I can find a copy somewhere when it comes out.

I was at that show in Hartford! She was AMAZING!! And i even got to meet her after the show. She came out about 30 minutes after the show and talked to the fans and signed magazines, cds, etc. for fans! She was so sweet and nice! Really humble. She signed my arm and my "cold war" t-shirt. LOL ;-)

And i agree i think Michael would have adored her! (i wonder if he already knew about her! since he was making some serious buzz since 2007) I think he would've have been straight up in love with her. Just like Prince is! (lol that guy is IN-LOVE lol..)

I feel just like Prince and i think for the same reason. FINALLY!! Somebody has come along on the pop scene who can pick up and carry on the torch that the likes of Stevie Wonder, Prince, and Michael Jackson had carried before. Not only is she carrying the torch but she's lighting her own flame on it! and that's the most important part!

^^wow, great you got to see her perform and even meet her.
It seems like almost everyone that has seen her live got blown away by her performance.
I hope I can see her someday.
And I love that she takes time for her fans.

Back