Janet Jackson Teaches How To Dance ..Must Watch

Well maybe it's because somebody don't have to be agree with it? So what's the problem you have with other opinion? I don't really think Michael was inspired by her in his creative work. Btw i don't have to love Janet as a singer or dancer and that doesn't mean I hate her.

It's pure simpel: If you don't like Janet or anything with her, then don't come here.
It's the same thing I experienced @ youtube 3 years ago prior to Michael's death, they come there hating hating and arguing, if they don't like then don't come there.
It was just a remark I had to make.
This whole board has weakened and needs to get love again.
Ofcourse you can have your opinion, but why would you come here if you have something to say about janet?
I don't come to a justin bieber forum to say michael jackson is the best one, obviously they say the opposite.
It's the same thing with this sub forum, it's part of the michael jackson forum, though there is no use saying anything about janet.

It's pure simpel: If you don't like Janet or anything with her, then don't come here.
It's the same thing I experienced @ youtube 3 years ago prior to Michael's death, they come there hating hating and arguing, if they don't like then don't come there.
It was just a remark I had to make.
This whole board has weakened and needs to get love again.
Ofcourse you can have your opinion, but why would you come here if you have something to say about janet?
I don't come to a justin bieber forum to say michael jackson is the best one, obviously they say the opposite.
It's the same thing with this sub forum, it's part of the michael jackson forum, though there is no use saying anything about janet.

never mind. love, peace and joy :flowers:

Last edited:
I think they absolutely influenced one another. Michael and Janet both had they own choreographers, but, I think they were very hands on in the construction of the choreography. Therefore, naturally, the choreography would have touches of them in it including who they were influenced by - including each other. They have said that they were influenced by each other, so I really don't understand why this is a matter of debate or contention.I also don't see why everything has to be turned into a competition like you guys have to prove how good Michael is by dissing Janet (or anyone else who is given any kind of commendation.) The thread was simply about how well Janet was dancing in that video. I don't know why that had to be turn into "Well, Michael did it better". They and their accomplishments both can definitely stand on their own and they don't need a constant comparison with each other to give them validity.
Couldn't have said it any better.

I have never really noticed those similarities *lol* to me it doesn't matter who came up with the idea first because I always thought those moves displayed in the posted gifs were typical 80s moves :D Remember Michael said that he told Janet to use a military style for Rhythm Nation way before he used that kind of choreography himself. We don't know what they did at home when they met, what moves they showed each other or by what or whom their choreographers were influenced. It doesn't matter. If Janet came up with something new, it doesn't mean that Michael was less amazing. He was a genius!
Anyway, I think it's fair to say that Janet is very talented and showed us some great moves in her career.

I have never really noticed those similarities *lol* to me it doesn't matter who came up with the idea first because I always thought those moves displayed in the posted gifs were typical 80s moves :D Remember Michael said that he told Janet to use a military style for Rhythm Nation way before he used that kind of choreography himself. We don't know what they did at home when they met, what moves they showed each other or by what or whom their choreographers were influenced. It doesn't matter. If Janet came up with something new, it doesn't mean that Michael was less amazing. He was a genius!
Anyway, I think it's fair to say that Janet is very talented and showed us some great moves in her career.

^^I like this. I like how you bring the choreography back to the historical context of the 80's. Also, many of Michael's routines are group centered like in thriller, bad and we see that in Janet's work as well.

I don't think Michael was inspired by Janet. It was Paula Abdul who used to work a lot with The Jacksons and later she was Janet's choreograph.

Paula only choregraphed a handful of videos during Janet's control era, none of which become her "iconic" moments; The Pleasure Principle is the stand out from the album and Paula had nothing to do with that. Tina Landon created far more memorable routines with Janet during the Janet. and Velvet Rope era.

Also, note that Janet worked WITH her choreographers, just as Michael did. It's a collaborative effort!

And on what Ginvid said on the previous page.....a lot of truth to that. There is absolutely no need to put down Janet to somehow elevate Michael. We're on a Michael fanboard here. I'm pretty sure MOST of us understand he was a genius, LOL! I know I do. It's like rule number one of being a fan. So why state it over and over, particularly in a thread for JANET? I was trying to show you guys something I'm very interested in, which was the influence they had over each other in the 80s/90s. To me it's so intriguing - and it has NOTHING to do with one being better than the other. More so it's about two siblings sharing a special bond and creating magic.

Comments like this:

If Janet came up with something new, it doesn't mean that Michael was less amazing. He was a genius!

Confuse and frustrate me. As if Michael is being brought down and hounded and somehow needs to be heaped more praise onto? Er? LOL!

Janet is a wonderful artist in her own right. Don't put her down in favour of Michael.

Anyone who knows anything about Janet Jackson’s career knows that she is a complete copycat of her brother’s style and she also begged him for his creative choreography for Rhythm Nation. Janet can dance but it was her brother’s creativity and genus that launched her career.

Comments like this:

Confuse and frustrate me. As if Michael is being brought down and hounded and somehow needs to be heaped more praise onto? Er? LOL!
Well, exactly! I agree with you, so why does that comment frustrate you? I said that Janet's accomplishments don't diminish Michael's in the slightest. I never said that Janet's accomplishments would bring down Michael's. That would be ridiculous! *lol* Good grief, not every comment here is meant to bash Janet, so don't get your panties in a knot. :D

Victory22;3612860 said:
Anyone who knows anything about Janet Jackson’s career knows that she is a complete copycat of her brother’s style and she also begged him for his creative choreography for Rhythm Nation. Janet can dance but it was her brother’s creativity and genus that launched her career.

Janet borrowed only one thing for Rhythm Nation: the "idea" of military dancing. That's it. Michael did not choreograph it, and as you can see from the gifs I posted there were a great number of times that Michael was influenced by choreography in HER videos. That's how they worked, they bounced ideas off each other because they saw one another as equals, as friends and above all as brother and sister.

Why can't fans understand that Michael greatly admired and appreciated his sister just as she did with him? That there was mutual inspiration shared between the two? There is nothing wrong with saying that Michael was inspired by his sister; it does not diminish his star as was said above. It does not somehow make him any less of a genius. Janet may not be on the same level of Michael, but she's damn good at what she does and she's talented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Janet borrowed only one thing for Rhythm Nation: the "idea" of military dancing. That's it. Michael did not choreograph it, and as you can see from the gifs I posted there were a great number of times that Michael was influenced by choreography in HER videos. That's how they worked, they bounced ideas off each other because they saw one another as equals, as friends and above all as brother and sister.

Why can't fans understand that Michael greatly admired and appreciated his sister just as she did with him? That there was mutual inspiration shared between the two? There is nothing wrong with saying that Michael was inspired by his sister; it does not diminish his star as was said above. It does not somehow make him any less of a genius. Janet may not be on the same level of Michael, but she's damn good at what she does and she's talented.

I said Janet was a good dancer but MJ sure as hell did choreograph the dance moves for Rhythm Nation. Janet asked if she could borrow them for her video and MJ said yes.

I said Janet was a good dancer but MJ sure as hell did choreograph the dance moves for Rhythm Nation. Janet asked if she could borrow them for her video and MJ said yes.

Choreographing does not equal inspiration. Michael had NO part in that video, Janet saw his choreography for Captain EO and asked if she could borrow the general idea for military-style dancing.

That's it.

That's all.

I think you're taking Michael's words in PHM a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle too literally.

I don’t know what your definition of “inspiration” is but Janet was inspired enough by her brother’s choreography to ask if she could borrow it for her video. Michael didn’t direct or produce Rhythm Nation but Janet got the dance idea from her big brother MJ and his inspiration for her work should not be ignored.

Back