Janet's career

Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

• Yes

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • no

Votes: 62 26.2%

• Total voters
^^^^^^^But the original post said nothing about music, but whether she got "discovered" and put on TV because she was a Jackson. None of the brothers were known as actors, and being a musician has no pull as far as Hollywood goes. The brothers popularity had kinda faded around that period (and they were considered a teen idol act. Teen acts aren't taken seriously by the powers that be), so just being a Jackson wouldn't have helped her anyway as far as getting on Good Times. It was Joe's idea that she make a record later, not Janet's.

What is the point exactly? All I'm saying is that whether it was acting or singing, the Jackson last name did open doors for her and it probably helped to get her auditions. Janet is a pretty good actress though and i'm sure she wouldn't have scored those TV roles if directors hadn't been genuinely impressed with her.

Being a Janet stan, having the name helped. She even said herself that having the name helped. But in general, having a famous relative in the business helps. Just like Whitney, Solange, Ray J, Ashlee Simpson, and many others.

I do think that Janet is talented but I don't really think that she would have had such a career if there wasn't the Jackson 5 first. Maybe she stil would have become a dancer/actress/singer but not as early as she did.

Michael on the other hand, I'm sure, would have made it even without Joe and all the pushing to the business.

I do think that Janet is talented but I don't really think that she would have had such a career if there wasn't the Jackson 5 first. Maybe she stil would have become a dancer/actress/singer but not as early as she did.

Michael on the other hand, I'm sure, would have made it even without Joe and all the pushing to the business.
How is that, since Joe was the one who started the group? The group kinda started because of Tito playing with Joe's guitar and getting caught. Mike wanted to perform because he saw his older brothers doing it. If Joe just let his sons hang out with the other kids, the Jackson 5 wouldn't have happened. Jackie was recruited to play pro baseball.

^^ If Joe didn't decide to start the Jackson 5, we wouldn't have any Jackson except Jesse and Freddie. :lol:

Remember Michael was also VERY young when he started, lol. HELL, both MJ and Janet started their careers at 7! :lol:

Eh, how many of the stars do we have who didn't start in the business at the age of seven? Oh, about 90%. If Michael really wanted it, and from what we've heard, he ALWAYS wanted to be an entertainer, he would have made it. He's more talented then everyone. If he wanted to be an entertainer, he would have become one regardless of whether he was pushed in to it early on or not.

Talent alone is not enough to get you intto the business. You need the right people to spend time and money on you. MJ would not have been able to do that without the help of people in the know. had he left it till he was an adult, there is no telling what may have happened to him in Gary before then, let us be thanful that he was born into the right family.

I think it really helped her in the beginning. It def. helped her getting a record deal and producing a first album and of course everyone was curious about the new talented Jackson family member, but I do however her last name worked against her.
After a while it looked that people's first attention wasn't going out to Janet and her musical career, but to her and her relationship with Michael. She always will be associated with Michael. Therefor she doesn't get all the attention towards her musical career she deserves. There are so many interviews where people ask her questions about Michael and not about her or her music. I think her last name had some influence on where she stands right now in the music industry, but I do think that if she would not be a Jackson family member that she would get the attention she deserves. It would take her longer than she did right now, but all the succes and attention she would get, would be about her and not about her and her relationship with Michael.

Without The Jackson5 and Michael especially - I really doubt she would have had a career!

IMO she's not really very good! (sorry :))

the named helped of course. but if that's all it was then she wouldn't have lasted as long as she did. her first two albums flopped around Thriller and you would think if it was just her name that made her famous than her first two albums would have done better?

Also, she is the only other Jackson apart from Michael to have a succesful solo career, non of the other Jacksons have achieved what michael and janet have.

Disagree.

Having a famous family didn't really do anything for her
If that were the case what happened to Jermaine's solo career? What about La Toya's? and so on and so forth..

Yes, it did help her, at least she got more attention because of being Michael's sister ;-) it's not like it made it easy for her though, and she did have to work hard for her career....

Janet is talented in her own right - a perfectionist. If Michael is a genious, Janet is highly gifted. Out of all of her siblings, nieces and nephews she has become a solo legend along with Michael. Name cannot do that alone. But at the same time, it helped having the correct connections and grooming that she did as a Jackson.

Janet is a strong,determined,talented woman. Janet is the type of person that will strive for excellence,no matter what kind of work it was. You can see that in her acting. I believe that that was instilled within her because of her upbringing and also because that was just the type of person God made her. I do believe that without the Jackson name...Janet would have still acheived in any line of work she chose. The Jackson name was just a plus.

Like Prince once said. "Michael? A genius. Janet? A genius's sister."

Interesting topic on an MJ forum... What do you expect them to say... The truth is Most MJ fans dont even like Janet and cant get past thier love and admiration for Michael to recognize the talent that she has.... SHE IS THE FEMALE POP FORMULA and a true tripple threat.. every little poppy girl act that comes out specifically follows the Janet Jackson formula... She started her 30yrs PLUS long career by being an actress that led to trying music... she has 10 studio albums 6 are #1 she has the most billboard awards of any female artist... sold over 100 million albums, holds the record for female artist with the most top 5 singles off one album. Highest grossing and most successful debut Tour of any female pop act ever. Been named and Icon and a Legend by the recording industry. 5 grammy's and an Academy Award Nomination. Every MOvie she has been in opened at #1. I could go on but whats the point..... Everyone always wants to give her success to Michael. She doesnt get the respect that she deserves and after viewing some of the comments in this thread she most likely never will.... As far as the Prince comment goes... everyone knows he is a Jealous QUEEN and is mad because he felt that Jimmy and Terry gave her his sound and he cant get over it period. Longevity is not given ITS EARNED and has nothing to do with her last name more to do with the fact that the girl is THE SH*T!!

^^^:clapping::clapping::clapping:

There are some MJ fans that give her her credit, but there are some who give MJ too much credit for her career. I don't recall Mike writing any of her songs, producing any of her albums, directing any of her videos, choreographing any of her videos, or staging any of her tours. To say that Janet wouldn't be where she is without Mike is completely false. Without the success of the Jackson 5 there wouldn't be Mike or Janet. Let's not forget Mike's first four albums failed. If record companies looked at that for determining a solo careers (provided the Jackson 5 never existed), neither Mike or Janet would have had a chance. Janet has admitted that the name has helped, but having the last name surely didn't work for Janet's first two albums. Control is a testament that it took sheer talent and drive to make it in the business. And she has become the second most successful female artist behind Madonna. That alone speaks volumes. As for the Prince comment you should know he is bitter because he chased Janet for years and she reject him everytime. :coffee:

The way the poll question is phrased is confusing.

I don't think the family name itself helped her. It didn't work for Rebbie, Jackie, Marlon, Randy, & LaToya. Although Randy didn't use the name Jackson, lol, and created a different group. Jermaine mostly had success on the R&B side, with little crossover. Tito recorded a solo album at Motown, that was never released. Janet started off with acting not music, which many people forgot or was too young to remember the TV shows she was in. When she went back to that and appeared in a few movies, her characters tended to be believable and not "Janet". She's just another person in the film. It's not like watching a Elvis Presley movie, where you're watching "Elvis" and not whatever he's supposed to be playing or the other people in the movie.

I agree.

^^^:clapping::clapping::clapping:

There are some MJ fans that give her her credit, but there are some who give MJ too much credit for her career. I don't recall Mike writing any of her songs, producing any of her albums, directing any of her videos, choreographing any of her videos, or staging any of her tours. To say that Janet wouldn't be where she is without Mike is completely false. Without the success of the Jackson 5 there wouldn't be Mike or Janet. Let's not forget Mike's first four albums failed. If record companies looked at that for determining a solo careers (provided the Jackson 5 never existed), neither Mike or Janet would have had a chance. Janet has admitted that the name has helped, but having the last name surely didn't work for Janet's first two albums. Control is a testament that it took sheer talent and drive to make it in the business. And she has become the second most successful female artist behind Madonna. That alone speaks volumes. As for the Prince comment you should know he is bitter because he chased Janet for years and she reject him everytime. :coffee:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Back