Joe reflects on his family in anticipation of his 86th birthday

Yep I said that earlier. What he said was nice. Kudos to him. :p But am I going to pretend he's all of a sudden father of the year? Not so much.

But I don't think anyone was asking you to pretend that. At least I can't remember anyone doing so. A person can say that an individual did or said something good without going overboard and saying the person is the best person or father of the year.

DC10 your quote: What surprised me most in all of this is that tidbit in his tribute to Janet, where he said that Janet and Jackie's daughter Brandy were the ONLY ONES out of that huge family (his wife, 8 surviving kids, and about 30 grandkids) to come visit this 85+ year old man in the hospital after he had his strokes, which could have killed him. This is pretty profound to me and informative about the quality of his relationship with his adult kids/grandkids, despite the adult kids (other than MJ) publicly denying or excusing that Joe abused them. As harsh as he is, I'd bet that lack of family visitors hurt and maybe embarrassed him a bit, since everyone knows how big his family is. Maybe that experience is part of the reason he's doing these tributes - he's realizing that he needed to reach out and finally give his kids some kind of praise and attention.

^^Interesting. Also, what I got out of that statement about who visited him, was that he WANTED to be visited, given attention, be the receiver of love. This shows that with all the horrible things he did to family members, there is a part of him that still wants love and attention. I think that came out even though he might not have realized it did and any person trained in human psychology would pick that up. This makes me see that Joe is just like any other person out there who wants love and affection, even though he does not know how to say it, does not know how to say I am sorry, did not do some deep internal work to realize how his actions affected one child in particular, and he still remains the stage dad to the end.

Personally I think all the children deep down really love that father. Michael recognized that Joe did love him at least from the Oxford speech. I think that is what the poster was trying to say--that Joe with all his faults had some love for his children, at least to the extent he could show love to them. Obviously this man has his own psychological/emotional issues too and that plus his own childhood socialization/parenting did affect the way he raised his children. Now I am not condoning what Joe did, but people are socialized into a type of behavior, and not many are like Michael who engage in serious self analysis and decide they will change certain patterns of behavior and not repeat them in their lives. People like Michael make plans to change maladaptive behaviors and follow their plans.

Last edited:
Joe has to understand he waited to late and now Michael is dead. Too late to get love from him now and from the looks of things too late to get love from his other kids also.

The bolded--sad but it is only too late, if Joe allows it. There is something he can do to change all that, but will he? He is pigheaded, don't realize he did anything wrong, etc. Do they even invite Joe to the family parties that the estate pays for at the new house, or in the old one? These are sponsored by Katherine, so does she invite Joe? He was at Gary to promote his perfume the last time, so I guess they invite him to some gatherings, or maybe he just invites himself.

But I don't think anyone was asking you to pretend that. At least I can't remember anyone doing so. A person can say that an individual did or said something good without going overboard and saying the person is the best person or father of the year.

DC10 your quote: What surprised me most in all of this is that tidbit in his tribute to Janet, where he said that Janet and Jackie's daughter Brandy were the ONLY ONES out of that huge family (his wife, 8 surviving kids, and about 30 grandkids) to come visit this 85+ year old man in the hospital after he had his strokes, which could have killed him. This is pretty profound to me and informative about the quality of his relationship with his adult kids/grandkids, despite the adult kids (other than MJ) publicly denying or excusing that Joe abused them. As harsh as he is, I'd bet that lack of family visitors hurt and maybe embarrassed him a bit, since everyone knows how big his family is. Maybe that experience is part of the reason he's doing these tributes - he's realizing that he needed to reach out and finally give his kids some kind of praise and attention.

^^Interesting. Also, what I got out of that statement about who visited him, was that he WANTED to be visited, given attention, be the receiver of love. This shows that with all the horrible things he did to family members, there is a part of him that still wants love and attention. I think that came out even though he might not have realized it did and any person trained in human psychology would pick that up. This makes me see that Joe is just like any other person out there who wants love and affection, even though he does not know how to say it, does not know how to say I am sorry, did not do some deep internal work to realize how his actions affected one child in particular, and he still remains the stage dad to the end.

Personally I think all the children deep down really love that father. Michael recognized that Joe did love him at least from the Oxford speech. I think that is what the poster was trying to say--that Joe with all his faults had some love for his children, at least to the extent he could show love to them. Obviously this man has his own psychological/emotional issues too and that plus his own childhood socialization/parenting did affect the way he raised his children. Now I am not condoning what Joe did, but people are socialized into a type of behavior, and not many are like Michael who engage in serious self analysis and decide they will change certain patterns of behavior and not repeat them in their lives. People like Michael make plans to change maladaptive behaviors and follow their plans.

I quote all of this to admit you make some good points and you're right. I kinda went with the 'mob' mentality a lil bit lol I very very much dislike how Joe acts...like 99% of the time. My father is like a less extreme version of Joe in a lot of ways. But it is true that every time Joe takes a step in the right direction, it shouldn't always be buried in negativity, even if I don't really respect his decisions...like ever. lol

My comment was more towards ManInTheMirror who was demanding one must leave the forum if we can't give the guy high praise and honor. :p But that is also cool, I know folks have high emotions now when it comes to the Jacksons in general.

86 years old. To my grandchildren.

By Angel Howansky on July 30, 2014

I would like to thank everyone for the heartfelt messages of best wishes on my Birthday. 86 years old and still going strong. I spent the full week of my birthday between Tokyo, Barcelona and I am on my way right now to New York via London. I want to thank the fans who continue to be loyal and kind to me. Everywhere I have gone, I have been shown much love. A few words on my 86th Birthday to all my grand kids. You are so many

7.jpg

The three pictures are all of me. I never listened to society when it told me, that my life was destined for the steel mill. That my offspring to a life of hardship. I never listened when it judged us by our race. I never listened when it said our music could not transcend race, culture, boarders or religion. I never listened when I was laughed at for dreaming I would make my family (Your uncles) into a music group. I did not care when I heard the laughter of the neighbors and the mockery and sinister comments. I never listen when it called my late son names, ridiculed and joked about him. Society would not have cared had we been on welfare in Gary Indiana, nor would it have come with a helping hand. It had no chicken in that fight. Why would I care what it thinks, writes or says about me, now ! Why ? Why would I ?? Why in the world would I ???

All it takes is to believe in yourself. But you cannot be able to believe in yourself if at the same time you listen to all the negative comments of others. The two do not go together. Let others spend their time writing and talking negatively about you. Let them talk, you go and do it!. Belief comes with experience. So do not be afraid to feel scared. It is o.k. Your uncles were scared too. Society may predict, but only you will determine your destiny.

I remember at the Apollo theater, they had heard that if you can perform there and they accept you, you can perform anywhere in the world. But they also heard that if they did not accept you, they would throw things at you on stage.That scared them like crazy. I remember watching them touch a little stump on the stage for good luck.After they got through that show, I could see the belief in their eyes and I knew nothing could stop us.

Stevana-Jackson.jpg

Graduation of Stevana Jackson, Harvard University

Stevana: I would travel all over for you. I remember flying back to Boston for your graduation. I would not miss it for anything in the world. It was a great day to watch you graduate. I look forward always to your calls and visits. The little notes and touching birthday wishes. You never fail to send me. Stay focused, the world is yours.

brandi.jpg

Brandi: You have grown up so quickly. Seems only yesterday you were a baby. Your actions are true. Coming to the hospital when I suffered 4 strokes and staying by my bedside.

prince.jpg

princePrince: I know your father Michael raised you right and you will never forget him. I know you loved him dearly. You are only finding out now how big he was. I enjoy your calls all the time. “Hi Grandpa, I am just checking on you”: I can hear that sentence even as I dictate this.

-----------------------

If you scroll down to bottom of the page:http://www.jwjackson.com My Children
He either has disowned Marlon, or forgot how many kids he has :D

Last edited:
I didn't think he had it in him, really. Still, he doesn't earn "Father of the Year" honors imho. This is pretty much like shutting the barn door after the horses have already gone.

This is the most emotion he has shown yet. :bugeyed

Right? I was saying , I hope Joe really said all of this and the writer did not make up parts of it. It is beautiful, especially the first 2 paragraphs about the skepticism of people. I really felt his determination there. I remember saying some time ago that I would have loved to read Joe's story about what he had to go through for his children to make it during a time of racial issues. I am very interested in how life was "back in the day" for people like the Jacksons & Ross, and I feel he has some interesting stories to tell. However, he gets connected to people like Weisner and then you can't trust the projects. I really enjoyed the little information Michael gave us in his book about life on the road, the club scene, and being at the executive meetings making deals.

Yes, Prince was really brought up right by his father.

I didn't think he had it in him, really. Still, he doesn't earn "Father of the Year" honors imho. This is pretty much like shutting the barn door after the horses have already gone.

No, I don't think either.
He writes about his own kids or grandkids, only ones who gets praise from him are the one who did something for him, like Prince calling him, Brandi coming to see him, Stevanna calls and visits, other got no mentions at all.
I saw the same pattern with cubs, he praised the one who "served" him, and others got only little mentions.

Over all, "King Joe" has spoken", that was my impression of his reflections.

Bubs;4034824 said:
No, I don't think either.
He writes about his own kids or grandkids, only ones who gets praise from him are the one who did something for him, like Prince calling him, Brandi coming to see him, Stevanna calls and visits, other got no mentions at all.
I saw the same pattern with cubs, he praised the one who "served" him, and others got only little mentions.

Over all, "King Joe" has spoken", that was my impression of his reflections.

Good analysis of Papa Joe. He has the attitude that he should be loved, honored and cared for just because he’s Joe. Very self-centered, narcissistic and controlling personality. I hope he’s stopped with the guns. He had to stop the physical violence because of his age.

The so-called sentimental Joe is just PR noises.

he's still trying to sell his dead son to the highest bidder, as we speak.

and he could not care less about his curbs. 'cause they are too broke to feed him.

^Yeah, Michael deserved better than the "family" he had. His own Estate have shown more sensitivity, care and respect for him than all the Jack$on$ together. Making money off him has been more important.

Back