Joseph Fiennes To Play MJ In 9/11 Programme

Isn't all acting impersonation? Ergo you're against all films and TV based on real life events?

There's a difference - if you're an actor, you don't play a single role your entire life. Whereas if you're an impersonator, it's the role you have. There's still a difference between drama and music.

And FYI I do not need to Google 'blackface' to understand racial issues.. I am a biracial America with half of my family being mixed with black and the other half 100% arab. I fully understand race and how it play within the united states and abroad..

And me thinking the race of the person playing Michael matters MUCH less than the portrayal of him... and I would really think in our fan community for being accepting to impersonators of all races and backgrounds and have dealt with a film that portrayed Michael as a strange freak by a black actor - we would be more open to a skit that could (we don't know) show a sweet side of Michael.. We really don't know what the film will be.

Let's pretend E'cas was not black (for example) would we not be ok to let him portray Michael over any black actor that we could think of...? Plus we all know racially we are at a pivotal place in time.. With both White actors getting black parts and slooowwwly black actors playing white parts (yess still behind) but the door is slowly opening

Maybe me having family In a war torn country not knowing which family member is safe makes me 'jaded' to something as miniscule as a race preference in a skit...IDK!
You hit the nail on the head with this comment, in my opinion. This is a short skit, nothing more.

I didn't like the idea of the play, itself, not the casting, because the original story made fun of three very iconic people. I assume the play will be the same way. But too much has been made of all of this-it's not a biopic. We have far more important things in the world to be worried about than a 20 minute show that hardly anyone sees. That's the way it is now, though-everybody makes big deals out of small things. It used to be 24 hour cable news that caused small things to get blown out of proportion, and now it's Twitter, Facebook, etc. You can't say or do anything anymore without being accused of being politically incorrect or racist, even if you're not.

Now, if it WERE a biopic, I would feel differently, and sign petitions or send letters.

You hit the nail on the head with this comment, in my opinion. This is a short skit, nothing more.

I didn't like the idea of the play, itself, not the casting, because the original story made fun of three very iconic people. I assume the play will be the same way. But too much has been made of all of this-it's not a biopic. We have far more important things in the world to be worried about than a 20 minute show that hardly anyone sees. That's the way it is now, though-everybody makes big deals out of small things. It used to be 24 hour cable news that caused small things to get blown out of proportion, and now it's Twitter, Facebook, etc. You can't say or do anything anymore without being accused of being politically incorrect or racist, even if you're not.

Now, if it WERE a biopic, I would feel differently, and sign petitions or send letters.

That is pretty much where I am with this... It's not a biopic, they even make it clear its a non factual 30 min skit!?! for that I do not take it seriously!

race Is still an issue and its not just whites on minorities.. White people get it too! I can say we've come a long way but not at the finish line.

Too bad I found out today that Mike has already been blackfaced on TV :(

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_lr894yHZFN1qbk03no1_500.gif

My first time seeing this thread and I'm disgusted, and I'm side eyeing anyone that is okay with this.

Michael was (and still is) constantly mocked for his facial features that changed due to vitiligo, and lupus.

Simpletons laugh and make idiotic jokes about how Michael "wanted to be white" because over time his nose slimmed, his skin lightened, and his hair straightened when in reality there were medical reasons (that Michael couldn't control) behind all three changes.

Additionally, I have no idea why people always jump to saying that he "wanted to look white" when other races (Asian people for example) also have straight hair, light skin, and slim noses.

Even in 2016 the ignorance continues, so I personally believe that seeing as MJ isn't alive to oversee its creation that no film should be made including and/or about MJ in general.

Last edited:
That was supposed to be Michael Jackson???? looks like someone from whoville! WTF

It doesn't look exactly like MJ, but it looks just enough like him that people will realise he's meant to be MJ.

He looks ridiculous. Mockery at it's finest, or worse I should say. Excuse me I have to go flush my eyes out now.

So bad... He didn't look anything like MJ....

What an insult... - And the scene where "MJ" runs around in the forrest at the end?? They sure try to make him look like an idiot it seems...

It looks like a trainwreak and I won't waste my time watching it....no matter how the producers spin it.

Ugh. Well, it's how I pictured it already. They're playing the stereotyped versions of 3 icons. But then the piece it's based on was stupid as well.
I realize it's supposed to be satire, but I didn't find it amusing.
How did they get all these respected actors to do this series?

I'd say Brits have a strange sense of humor, but that South Park show wasn't a lot different, and that's a US show.

I'd say Brits have a strange sense of humor, but that South Park show wasn't a lot different, and that's a US show.

I wouldn't compare this with South Park much tbh... South Park is a great show. It's satire at it's finest.

Surprisingly (well for those who haven't seen it), it's not all swearing/R-rated comedy. There's actually a lot of good messages/morals that are woven into the themes of many episodes (and even touched upon at the end. Usually beginning with a character saying "You know, I learned something today...").

I swear though it makes my skin crawl that years after his death people are out here still perpetuating the lie that Michael wanted to be white.
As I've said before the agenda is obvious even when not outright stated.

Michael had light skin, a slim nose, and straight hair.
Now, I and anyone with some sense knows that Michael only wanted to be himself, and even had medical issues he couldn't control that contributed to some of those changes, but for those that take his appearance as he got older at face value there's still no real basis to say he looked or wanted to be white because white people aren't the only ones with the aforementioned features.

IMO it shouldn't be said that Michael wanted to look like anyone but himself, and it wouldn't be any better if it was said that he wanted to look like any race other the his own, but since some dumbass people do say he wanted to look like another race why is the go to race always white?
I'll tell you why.
It's to convey the false message and/or subtext that even the greatest and most successful black entertainer and artist to ever do it felt inferior and/or was inferior because he wasn't white, thus also conveying the false message that being white automatically makes you better even if your already the best at what you do.

Now I do know that both white and black people perpetuate the lie that Michael wanted to be white, but in this case we're talking about a white actor doing a horrible and cringeworthy parody of Michael, a part which if they had any respect for Michael as a person in general and as a black person they would have IMO turned down, so we as MJ fans of any race should see why this is wrong.

Last edited:
IDK how this actor can do this with a straight face... I mean after all the flack he got for having the role being a white actor, you'd think that person would have the feeling "if I am going to take a role as Michael knowing the flack i'm getting.. I'm going to only do a role that BRINGS IT!"

Another thing that a lot of dumb ass people don't/won't recognize/accept is that Michael's skin tone later on in life doesn't look like any race's natural skin tone, and that's because it's NOT a natural skin tone.
It's the result OF vitiligo.

This is the reason why I utterly refuse the idea of a biopic. All the people who have played Michael with his 90s look onwards in skits or movies have looked either ridiculous or disgusting.

Oops! Sorry, I just now realized somebody has already posted it. Sorry. :(

I wouldn't compare this with South Park much tbh... South Park is a great show. It's satire at it's finest.

Surprisingly (well for those who haven't seen it), it's not all swearing/R-rated comedy. There's actually a lot of good messages/morals that are woven into the themes of many episodes (and even touched upon at the end. Usually beginning with a character saying "You know, I learned something today...").

South Park has made fun of Michael (It's South Park, they make fun of everybody), but there has been times where they have been supportive towards him. In the episode ''The Jefferson's'' they flat out say that Michael was framed in 1993. In that episode they actually made more fun of Tom Sneddon with the cop going around framing black people for crimes they didn't commit.

Here are some great quotes from that episode which are clearly shots at Sneddon

Harris: Hey Sergeant, take a look at this.
Yates: [disregards the sheet] Whatcha got?
Harris: Looks like a new family has just moved into South Park. One Mr. Jefferson, age 50, bought a house there and paid cash. He seems to have a lot of money.
Yates: So, what's the problem?
Harris: Take a look. Says here... [the sergeant takes the sheet and reviews it] He's black.
Yates: By God, so he is. Black and rich. Time to take this Mr. Jefferson down, just like we did Kobe. [hands the sheet and the cup of coffee to the officer and address the department] Let's go people! [turns, takes his coat from the coat rack and puts it on] We've got another rich black guy. I want him humiliated and dragged through the dirt, and I want it done by the books!

This is clearly a reference to the 93 allegations, where they flat out say that Michael was framed

Yates: Hello, this is Sergeant Yates over at the Park County Police Department in Colorado.
Snetzl: Yes, sergeant. What can I do for you?
Yates: Well, we've been trying to frame this guy who just moved into our town, and the fil-o-fax says he moved from your area. One Martin Jefferson?
Snetzl: Hm. No, we never had a any rich African-Americans named Jefferson here. If we had, we would have framed him ourselves.
Yates: Well, he doesn't really look that black.
Snetzl: Yeah, I don't, uh... Hold on a second. There was one we framed a couple of times, but the black bastard was so rich he made bail and disappeared before the trial.
Yates: You say he disappeared? What did you frame him for?
Snetzl: We, uhhh, found some kids that had stayed over at his place, and we asked them to lie and make up some false molestation charges.
Yates: Molestation, nice.
Snetzl: Yeah, it was a lot of work. Took years, but we were finally able to arrest him. Then we planted some evidence, took embarassing photos of his penis, and threw him in a dirty prison cell with doodie feces on the walls. You should have seen him squirm!
Yates: That's damn fine police work, sergeant. Damn fine.

South Park has made fun of Michael (It's South Park, they make fun of everybody),

Indeed, the South Park creators actually believe that you should be able to either make fun of everything or nothing at all, so they do just that.

but there has been times where they have been supportive towards him. In the episode ''The Jefferson's'' they flat out say that Michael was framed in 1993. In that episode they actually made more fun of Tom Sneddon with the cop going around framing black people for crimes they didn't commit.

Here are some great quotes from that episode which are clearly shots at Sneddon
This is clearly a reference to the 93 allegations, where they flat out say that Michael was framed

Absolutely. They were one of the few comedy shows that "featured" Michael to actually stick up for him in 2004 (I think of other comedy shows that had sketches where MJ was on trial and it was heavily implied he was guilty).

I listened to the commentary for that episode and the creators themselves said they had actively tried to avoid doing any Michael Jackson episodes because it was just such an easy, overdone and cliche topic at the time. For context to those who don't know, an episode of South Park is created entirely in 6 days, from the idea to writing to animating to airing, entirely within 6 days (in comparison, Family Guy/The Simpsons are done in 6-9 months).

They ended up doing it after one of the staff members had a wedding, which everyone went to. So when they returned, they had less time than normal to do an entire episode so they resorted to doing something super simple. So they finally gave in, but I'm glad that they actually stood up for him and went "Hey, maybe this whole thing is framed against him" when it would've be so easy to just go with the flow and imply he was guilty.

Back