June 11, 2008: MJ News and Mentionings

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Looks like we haven't got todays news thread yet so I'll post the Devon Article here to be on the right date - then I'll see what I can find for news...

*****'s phone call's a thriller

devon.editorial@archant.co.uk
11 June 2008

TassellA20080611122309.jpg
Stars Tito Jackson and sons Taj (left) and TJ (two-thirds of band 3-T) with fan party organiser George Warren. Picture: www.andycaseyphotography.co.uk
POP legend Michael Jackson wowed fans by speaking to them via a live telephone link from Las Vegas at a party held at the Durrant House Hotel in Northam on Sunday.

Three hundred excited fans had packed out the ballroom at the sell-out party to meet Jackson Five legend Tito Jackson and his sons TJ and Taj when the pop king personally phoned the hotel to speak with his older brother and nephews - and say hi to his adoring aficionados.

Hotel manager Julie Finn said the receptionist put the call through to her office at around 8pm on Sunday.

She said: "It was a little surreal waiting in my small office with the Jacksons for Michael to call - and being filmed by Channel 4!

"We set up a link to the ballroom, and when the call came though and fans realised who was on the phone, it was incredible."

Michael said "hi" to his fans before saying he had been busy working in the studio that day. "I love you all," he said.

Earlier, fans were given the chance to rub shoulders with the Jackson stars and were entertained by a succession of top Jackson tribute acts including Danny Oliver, MJacksonUK, Mikki J, and Britain's Got Talent finalist Damon Scott and "Bubbles".

The event was organised by 18-year-old North Devon College student George Warren.

George, from Barnstaple, who has been hard at work organising the show for the last six weeks told the Gazette the event was more than he had ever hoped it would be.

"It was a fantastic night. We originally thought just Tito was going to come but to have him and two of his sons come - and stay for the whole evening - was amazing.

"The auction of Michael's fedora and the phone call was the icing on the cake.

"Organising the event has been pretty much non-stop - stressful but exciting.

"I'll now be concentrating on my A-Level exams this week and next - and learning to drive!"

The event raised an astonishing £8,000 for the North Devon Hospice through ticket sales, a raffle, and £500 donation by supermarket ASDA, who also presented a hamper of North Devon produce to Tito. A further £6,000 was raised through an auction of Jackson memorabilia including Michael's white fedora that he wore in the Smooth Criminal video, signed by the star himself. Other lots included signed Janet Jackson tour merchandise, and generous Tito even offered to cook one lucky fan a meal at his Appledore rented home.

Tito, who is understood to be flying back to America this week said: "I love North Devon. The people have been beautiful to me and I've been out for a lot of walks in the evening to enjoy the beautiful sunsets - I've had a ball!

And believe it or not nothing happened on this date in MJ history :doh: lol

K, the only other bit I've found so far is this one...

National Business

Stars facing foreclosure

TV stars, pro athletes among those losing homes

San Francisco Chronicle via Scripps Howard News Service
Originally published 08:00 p.m., June 10, 2008
Updated 08:00 p.m., June 10, 2008

"Stars -- they're just like us: They face foreclosure!" could become a regular feature in Us magazine.
A cavalcade of the rich and famous is joining the Joe Six-Packs threatened with bank repossessions of their homes.
Cheery TV sidekick Ed McMahon and former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield have become the latest celebrities ensnared in the worldwide credit crisis.
McMahon and wife Pamela "understand that they are in the same situation as hundreds of thousands of other hardworking Americans, and their hearts go out to them," a spokesman said.
From King of Pop Michael Jackson to Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin, plenty of superstars recently racked up real estate debts. Some played "make a deal" and got reinstated; some got kicked out; some chose to walk away. Some, like McMahon, are still hoping for a happy ending.
Here's a rundown on some famous folks in default on their mansions, merry-go-rounds, chateaus and yachts.
Ed McMahon
It's hard not to feel sympathy for the man. He's elderly, he's disabled and he freely admits (to Larry King) that he didn't manage his affairs properly. The former celebrity pitchman, 85, hasn't worked in 18 months since breaking his neck. He is $644,000 in arrears to Countrywide on his Beverly Hills home, a six-bedroom mansion on the market for two years for almost $6 million. Maybe prospective buyers are scared off by the scrum of paparazzi camped out at the neighbor's house. Who's the neighbor? Britney Spears.
Latrell Sprewell
The former NBA guard went through two foreclosures this year. In January, the U.S. Marshals Service sold off his 70-foot yacht, Milwaukee 's Best, for $856,000 after he stopped making the $10,322 monthly payments. In May, his home in a Milwaukee suburb was foreclosed on; he owed $320,284 on the house worth about $610,000. Sprewell, who once choked head coach P.J. Carlesimo during a Golden State Warriors practice, turned down a three-year, $21 million contract extension with the Minnesota Timberwolves for being insultingly low.
Michael Jackson
Getting behind on his mortgage may be the most normal thing Jackson has done in years. His sprawling Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County , complete with train, merry-go-round and Ferris wheel, was due to hit the auction block this spring. In a last-minute reprieve, a private investment company swooped in and bought the loan. Press reports said the company wants ***** to pay it back by staging an Elvis-style comeback in Las Vegas .
Jose Canseco
A couple of ugly divorces cost the former American League MVP some of the millions he racked up during his baseball career. Canseco could be a pitchman for walk-away homeowners. "It didn't make financial sense for me to keep paying a mortgage on a home that was basically owned by someone else," he said on "Inside Edition" about his $2.5 million Encino , Calif. , home. "I decided to just let it go."
Aretha Franklin
In March, the Detroit Free Press reported that the singer owed back taxes on her $714,000 brick mansion overlooking the Detroit Golf Club and a $2 million condo in Bloomfield Township . That left both properties liable to forfeiture to the tax collector. After press calls about the debt, Franklin blamed an attorney's mistake and said she planned to immediately pay off the debts.
Evander Holyfield
The four-time heavyweight champ's 109-room estate in Fayette County , Ga. , is scheduled for the gavel July 1 after he defaulted on a $10 million loan to Washington Mutual. That's just one of his money woes. Holyfield, 45, also owes more than half a million for landscaping, and he's being sued for back child support. Reportedly he wants to get back in the ring to bring in some quick dough.
http://www.caller.com/news/2008/jun/10/stars-facing-foreclosure/

"It Was A Little Surreal"

(11-6-2008) On Sunday, Michael Jackson wowed about 300 fans in Northam (UK) with a telephone call from Las Vegas (see MJFC news item dated June 10, 2008). He personally phoned the Durrant House Hotel to speak with his older brother Tito and nephews Taj and TJ - and say hi to his fans.

Hotel manager Julie Finn said the receptionist put the call through to her office at around 8 pm. She said:

"It was a little surreal waiting in my small office with the Jacksons for Michael to call - and being filmed by Channel 4!

We set up a link to the ballroom, and when the call came though and fans realised who was on the phone, it was incredible."

Source: Devon24

This is so great. Thanks Shannon. Hospice is so important...I am glad they could raise funds like this.!!

I know it's AWSOME..

I am really thankfull that xscape pulled this party off the way it went down..

He's probably really busy with stuff going on right now..

P.S. anyone see the report by Channel 4 that they recorded??

Last edited:
Good report!! but the phone call was hilarious!! OMG!!!!! I bet he was talking to one of his kids while talking on the phone!!looooooooooooooool!!

I know it's AWSOME..

I am really thankfull that xscape pulled this party off the way it went down..

He's probably really busy with stuff going on right now..

Did xcape do this party? If so I would like to thank him very much. I was very forthright in criticising the Devon thing, but thats because I didn't like the way a certain person was showing up in the media everytime the jackson name was mentioned. Xcape pulled it off quietly and without too much self promoting. Thats the way it should be done.

Last edited:
Datsmay, I PMed you.. did u GET IT??

Last edited:
OK... WELL I'll help you out Shannon..

TODAY IN MJ HISTORY::

June 11, 1979 - 'Shake Your Body Down' goes platinum

June 11, 1983 - 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'', 'Rock With You', enteres the top 100 singles

JUne 11, 1987 - Michael performs in Gothenberg, Swedin

June 11, 1992 - Michael is on the cover of 'The News Of The World' magazine

June 11, 1996 - An appeals court rejects the lawsuit filed by Reynaud Jones and others in a copyright infringemet case against Michael involving the songs 'Thriller' 'We Are The World' amd 'The Girl Is Mine.'

;) Just keeping a look out!

Last edited:

June 11, 1983 - 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'', 'Rock With You', enteres the top 100 singles

June 11, 1996 - An appeals court rejects the lawsuit filed by Reynaud Jones and others in a copyright infringemet case against Michael involving the songs 'Thriller' 'We Are The World' amd 'The Girl Is Mine.'

Seriously the site I went to said there was nothing :scratch:Maybe it wasn't updated yet but dang it was late :doh: Oh well = thank you :yes:

great post to remember the time... Thank you for this

Here's something else to add to the list...

June 11, 2003 - Michael attends "Homecoming Celebration" in Gary, Indiana. :)

I know it's AWSOME..

It was rumoured that Channel 4 would be following the Jacksons around and making a documentary, so I guess this proves it. If it's true then there may not be a channel 4 report, but we should have a documentary to look forward to instead. I wonder when it will air.

^ well you would think if they were just reporting the event they would have aired it on that local chanell news... ;)

Looks like they are saving the footage for something else..

Back