Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

billyworld99

Proud Member
Source: The Washington Post

0bc7e43b-a7e0-34a2-99c2-c0663399d596.jpg

NEW YORK — Justin Timberlake is set to perform at the MTV Video Music Awards later this month.

The pop icon will also receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award at the Aug. 25 awards show, the network said Thursday. Timberlake is tied with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis for the most nominations, with six each.

Timberlake’s nominations include video of the year, best male video and pop video for “Mirrors.” His comeback album, “The 20/20 Experience,” is the year’s best-selling album. He’ll release “The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2” on Sept. 30.

Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke will also perform at the VMAs, to air live from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/

Michael Jackson’s Video Vanguard Award, In MJ’s Top MTV Moments

King of Pop received the honor in 1988, and the award was renamed after him in 2001

Source: MTV – By Kyle Anderson

281x211-001.jpg

MTV was only 7 years old in 1988, but Michael Jackson had already established himself as the definitive artist of the video era. . His résumé already included some of the most iconic clips of all time, including the epic “Thriller,” “Bad,” “Beat It” and “Billie Jean.” So it was only appropriate that Jackson receive the Video Vanguard Award at the 1988 Video Music Awards.

The segment opened with a montage of clips from all the singer’s videos. Peter Gabriel, who won the award in 1987 for his groundbreaking work in clips like “Sledgehammer,” presented Jackson with the award. Jackson was praised for his commitment to “short films” and graciously accepted the prize from Gabriel.

Michael Receiving the MTV Video Vanguard Award of the Decade
<iframe src="http://mash.network.coull.com/activatevideo?video_provider_id=2&pid=8165&website_id=23845&width=593&height=364&embed_type=IFRAME&video_provider_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/embed/c0OPQXn9I0o" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="593px" height="364px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Jackson’s crowning music-video achievement was, of course, “Thriller,” the video he shot (and co-wrote) with John Landis in 1983. Spanning more than 13 minutes and costing more than $500,000 to make (a record at the time), it was a true mini-film, featuring huge sets, makeup by Academy Award winner Rick Baker and incidental music by the legendary Elmer Bernstein. The video’s choreography — particularly Jackson’s midsong dance spectacle with a troupe of zombies — has gone on to become the most imitated (and parodied) in pop-culture history, and the “Guinness Book of World Records” lists “Thriller” as the Most Successful Music Video of All Time, having sold more than 9 million units. In 1999, MTV ranked it as the Greatest Music Video Ever Made.

Jackson’s video history was only getting warmed up by 1988, when he received the Video Vanguard. In the years following, he would create big-budget, star-studded projects like “Black or White,” “Remember the Time,” “Scream” and “You Rock My World.” Jackson’s groundbreaking work as a video artist even led to the award being renamed the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, which was first presented under that name to U2 in 2001.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1614838/michael-jackson-receives

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Woo (though, I think he's still too young to get an award like this).

JT's doesn't necessarily have the best music videos, but is great artist in his own right.

Anyhow, VMA's and MTV suck in general.

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Are they serious? I think Lady gaga deserve this more than JT.

I think over time, the VMA's were less about the actual music video and more so about whatever was popular.
In that regard, yes, Gaga definitely has better videos.

Michael and Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer,) Queen (I Want To Break Free) were the only ones who made really innovative videos, the others are copies of the copies of the copies or simple.

Has Bjork ever received one?
If not, she's WAY past due. Incredible music video collection she has.

I do think that JT deserves the award,but I wish Gaga could get a nomination as well.:( Oh well,that'll be her time soon.

How could I forget Björk? Hands down to her, she has indeed vanguardist videos and deserves that award better than JT, if she hasn't win it yet! Cocoon was the first one to blow my mind!

bjork_cocoon.jpg

I do think that JT deserves the award,but I wish Gaga could get a nomination as well.:( Oh well,that'll be her time soon.

Yeah, with Artpop coming out in November she'll have another chance next time :)

Good on JT though ! I wouldn't really call his music videos iconic or amazing, but Mirrors was pretty good and I really enjoyed that one.

Wait, wasn't it renamed in 1991, not 2001?

The problem with the VMAs these days is it's not really acknowledging music videos, it's just whoevers big or in at the moment, big songs etc.

I will tune in this year though (I haven't done for many years) as I hear Daft Punk are performing.

I won't be watching

There is absolutely nothing great or innovating about Timberfake's music or videos.

Checking who has recieved this award to know if Björk have ever won it, (not yet) it screams aloud racism, bias and WTF. David Bowie, The Beatles and the guy who directed them Richard Lester were the first ones to receive it in 1984, nothing against them but The Beatles don't have innovative videos at all and The Yellow Submarine is a movie, David Bowie has way more interesting videos in the 90's, so is Madonna who won it in 1986. Peter Gabriel in 1987 for Sledgehammer and finally Michael in 1988. Thriller put MTV in the worldwide map, Michael should had been the first one to be awarded. Yes, it was renamed as Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in 1991 but changed in 2003, "coincidence"?

Being from Millington, TN the same city as Justin all I can say is "WOOHOO!!"

My opinion is part 1 of 20/20 was under delivered. I looked forward to a it CD since his 2006 album and was pretty disappointed.. Not saying a horrible album but I think it was more so the marketing and hype that sold this album. The single out for pt 2 of 20/20 is a good start though.. Titles of tracks seem interesting. My opinion Bruno mars should have gotten this. Best album in the past year to me..

My opinion is part 1 of 20/20 was under delivered. I looked forward to a it CD since his 2006 album and was pretty disappointed.. Not saying a horrible album but I think it was more so the marketing and hype that sold this album. The single out for pt 2 of 20/20 is a good start though.. Titles of tracks seem interesting. My opinion Bruno mars should have gotten this. Best album in the past year to me..

Both good albums but Bruno is brilliant, I definitely think he should've got it now. :)

Why is he getting an award for his videos? He doesn&#8217;t really have any innovative or iconic videos, does he? At least I don't remember any.

I can&#8217;t think of any current pop artists who deserve this award. Some have mentioned Gaga, but I completely disagree with that. The Michael Jackson video award should go to someone who&#8217;s genuinely creative and innovative.

I thought they renamed it after Michael died. I thought they changed it and gave it back in his name. Maybe I am mistaken. The awards are a little early this year. Usually it's in September.

The award already shows its more about the status of an artist, rather than the actual videos.

Be that as it may, as the years go on, this will be the norm.

It's very rare these days you see music videos like they were made back in the day.

Not to say there aren't great videos today by big and indie artists, but it's just different.

MTV barely plays videos anymore, so obviously the U.S. version of their awards show is going to reflect this.

Anyhow, his video for MIRRORS was REALLY good. Love it. Love the song, too.

Sunwalker7;3888627 said:
Why is he getting an award for his videos? He doesn’t really have any innovative or iconic videos, does he? At least I don't remember any.

I can’t think of any current pop artists who deserve this award. Some have mentioned Gaga, but I completely disagree with that. The Michael Jackson video award should go to someone who’s genuinely creative and innovative.

You've said exactly what was on my mind going through this thread... either way I couldn't care less about MTV these days, I haven't for the past 6-7 years.

Timberlake a Pop Icon? lol hahahha, what the hell? :puke:

Are they serious? I think Lady gaga deserve this more than JT.

dont think so. both of them should not receive that award.

I think over time, the VMA's were less about the actual music video and more so about whatever was popular.
In that regard, yes, Gaga definitely has better videos.

because she jumps naked around?

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3888064 said:
How could I forget Björk? Hands down to her, she has indeed vanguardist videos and deserves that award better than JT, if she hasn't win it yet! Cocoon was the first one to blow my mind!

bjork_cocoon.jpg

is that a music videoclip? nude, tits shown the whole time? wow, that's iconic. :doh:
but when michael jackson sing some real important serious words in his songs it have to be deleted. bad bad michael jackson, but nudity is what is best for all kids. great world! great job!

Sunwalker7;3888627 said:
Why is he getting an award for his videos? He doesn&#8217;t really have any innovative or iconic videos, does he? At least I don't remember any.

I can&#8217;t think of any current pop artists who deserve this award. Some have mentioned Gaga, but I completely disagree with that. The Michael Jackson video award should go to someone who&#8217;s genuinely creative and innovative.

Gaga certainly shouldn't get an award this year because she hasn't released a music video for a good year or two now. Her videos are quite creative though, Telephone is one of my favourite and reminded me of the sort of videos MJs did (In the sense that it had a story to it (which started in the music video for Paparazzi) as well as that it was quite long, with an extended version of the song at some points).
Sure, some of her videos aren't as great as Telephone, but she has got a few videos that have stories and meanings to them. I often found I didn't 'get it' until I read someone's analysis on the video, but I've learnt quite a bit since then so I could probably understand it by myself now.

But nah, I always liked that about MJs videos... how you could often find a longer/slightly different version of the song (Think Thriller, Smooth Criminal, TWYMMF, TDCAU etc). Although I agree with your statement, I can't really think of many artists who deserve the award at the moment. Certainly a lot of awesome music videos have come out - The Weeknd has made some pretty good ones and is evidently very influenced by MJ - but I'm not sure if there are many that I was classify as genuinely creative.

Timberlake's video for Mirrors was pretty good and I enjoyed that. That video is probably why is he winning though because I recall it getting quite a lot of praise.

mjchris;3889676 said:
because she jumps naked around?

It might help if you actually watch her videos. Only one video comes to mind where she is naked (even then it is censored). At that point in the music video, Marry the Night, she has just been dropped from her first record label, and she begins to go crazy. Personally, I interpret her being nude as showing she is weak and vunerable at that point in the time. A person is most weak when they have nothing protecting them. She was unknown back then (that part is set around... 2006 ?) and, as we saw in the video, was easily dropped from the label without a second thought, making her at their mercy. That's just personally how I interpret it and I'm sure there are a number of different explanations as to why she was naked :)
mjchris;3889678 said:
is that a music videoclip? nude, tits shown the whole time? wow, that's iconic. :doh:
but when michael jackson sing some real important serious words in his songs it have to be deleted. bad bad michael jackson, but nudity is what is best for all kids. great world! great job!

Just because someone is nude does not mean it's not artistic or whatever. I can't comment on that video as I've yet to see it, but it's unfair to think of it as her being nude just for attention if you don't understand it. I'm sure Bjork has some actual meaning as to why she is naked - she seems like the sort of artist who would. No doubt a lot of artists are naked just to get you to watch, but many others use it for artistic reasons as well. If you take things at face value, you're going to miss a lot of things.

And the people who complained about the words in the song didn't seem to understand the song itself or the context (sort of similar to how you don't seem to understand why some artists use nudity). When they complained, Michael - fearing more people would misunderstand the song - changed the song at his expense. "The idea that these lyrics could be deemed objectionable is extremely hurtful to me, and misleading. The song in fact is about the pain of prejudice and hate and is a way to draw attention to social and political problems. I am the voice of the accused and the attacked. I am the voice of everyone. I am the skinhead, I am the Jew, I am the black man, I am the white man. I am not the one who was attacking. It is about the injustices to young people and how the system can wrongfully accuse them. I am angry and outraged that I could be so misinterpreted." What a sad situation to be honest.

Guys please dont hate for saying this but at the moment id rather it be justin timberlake than justin beiber
:ph34r:

You haven't seen Cocoon, have you?
Her video is totally avant-garde, out the norm. Even though she doesn't mention the title of the song in the lyrics, in the course of the video, she is forming a cocoon. You may not like it but it's indeed innovative and artistic.

Just because someone is nude does not mean it's not artistic or whatever. I can't comment on that video as I've yet to see it, but it's unfair to think of it as her being nude just for attention if you don't understand it.

^^ its always for attention.

Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read Mo...

Justin Timberlake is together with Bruno Mars one of the best entertainers of this era.

He deserves it, whether the video is good or not. He knows the true meaning of music.

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read Mo...

Justin Timberlake is together with Bruno Mars one of the best entertainers of this era.

He deserves it, whether the video is good or not. He knows the true meaning of music.
Bruno's better then JT ;)

Back