Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Yes he is a ***** but that performance was awesome. Like him or hate him and I hate him, you can't deny he has serious talent as a performer. That was the best performance I have seen at an awards show since MJ in 2005. Some might call that blasphemous but you have to give credit where credit is due.

And the winners are…
BEST COLLABORATION
Pink, feat. Nate Ruess, “Just Give Me A Reason”

BEST ROCK VIDEO

30 Seconds to Mars, “Up in the Air”

BEST POP VIDEO

Selena Gomez, “Come and Get It”

BEST ART DIRECTION

Janelle Monae feat. Erykah Badu, “Q.U.E.E.N”

BEST DIRECTION

Justin Timberlake, “Suit and Tie”

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY

Bruno Mars, “Treasure”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Capital Cities, “Safe and Sound”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton, “Can’t Hold Us”

BEST EDITING

Justin Timberlake, “Mirrors”

BEST HIP-HOP VIDEO

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, feat. Ray Dalton, ”Can’t Hold Us”

BEST FEMALE VIDEO

Taylor Swift, “I Knew You Were Trouble”

BEST VIDEO WITH A SOCIAL MESSAGE

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, feat. Mary Lambert, “Same Love”

BEST SONG OF SUMMER

One Direction, “Best Song Ever”

ARTIST TO WATCH

Austin Mahone

BEST MALE VIDEO

Bruno Mars, “Locked Out of Heaven”

VIDEO OF THE YEAR

Justin Timberlake, “Mirrors”

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Jimmy Fallon just called him the President of Pop. Okay.

It's interesting that the media do not refer to him as the self proclaimed President of Pop. Since this idea to call him that comes from his management. But yeah, at least not King of Pop.

tumblr_ms4glmsPC21s3l471o1_1280.png

i dont think JT deserve this award since he has not put any revolutionary change in music .

Justin's performance was phenomenal.

That's because JT is a media darling respect, for them he can't go wrong. At least Britney was more humble to acknowledge Michael's influence on her and her admiration during the acceptance speech. Without Michael, JT wouldn't exist in showbizz, you can disagree with me but I saw it arrogant he didn't even mention Michael and I insist, he didn't denser the award.

I just watched JT's performance. Anita Baker is right. He did watch a lot of MJ peformance before this. You can see MJ's influence all over it. Great performance - he learnt from the Best. ;)

^He imitated the best. The innovation and creativity disappeared.

i dont think JT deserve this award since he has not put any revolutionary change in music .

Yes, he's entertaining but nothing innovative or mind blowing that hasn't been done before him either in music or dance or performance (mainly by MJ and Prince). Nothing that puts his own stamp on it, that will make you say: "oh this is Justin Timberlake!" I mean like when you see a choreography and you know that's an MJ choreography - there isn't something like that with JT. Rather his performances still make people think "this is MJ".
He's hard working and obviously puts a lot of effort in it, you have to give that to him.

OT, but I laughed at his. The Smith family watching Miley Cyrus perform. You can read everything about that performance from their faces. Da hell was that, Miley? LOL.

attachment.php

Last edited:

^He imitated the best. The innovation and creativity disappeared.

MJ imitated many people, (Moonwalk, Smooth Criminal video, Dangerous intro, James Brown's moves, etc) but people are not bragging about it. What's the point?

MJ imitated many people, (Moonwalk, Smooth Criminal video, Dangerous intro, James Brown's moves, etc) but people are not bragging about it. What's the point?

People are not bragging about that? I think everyone is well aware of MJ's influences and he himself always went out his way to credit them. That doesn't matter with MJ because although he took elements from others he made them his own. For example, yes he was influenced by James Brown, but did he rip off James Brown's whole artistry? Did he want his albums sound like James, his dance routines be like James - and just everything he did be like James? No. While he was influenced by him you cannot say his dancing or music is like James' or that he is a James Brown rip-off. Or yes, he was heavily influenced by Fred Astaire's Bandwagon in Smooth Criminal but mainly in terms of set and costume. The dancing was already different, of course the music is totally different as well. And same with his other influences. Or let's put it this way: What are JT's signature moves? Signature dance routines? That when you see a bunch of kids perform on the street you will say "oh, that's the JT signature move"? You have plenty of that from MJ but none from JT. As Anita Baker's tweet shows when people watch JT perform they think of MJ...

Someone put it the best on Twitter, and I agree: "A legend is when everything before him/her seems obsolete and everything after seems touched by his/her influence."

I think JT is entertaining, but hasn't done anything so far that puts him on a level of a legend. Neither his music or his dance is iconic. He's rather a calculated and smart (although not as talented and not as charismatic) imitator of MJ and Prince, IMO.

Last edited:

I think JT is entertaining, but hasn't done anything so far that puts him on a level of a legend. Neither his music or his dance is iconic. He's rather a calculated and smart (although not as talented and not as charismatic) imitator of MJ and Prince, IMO.
I'm a JT fan, and I have to say I agree with this part.

Do you seriously think it's the same imitating than being influenced by? You can't say Michael is an imitator because of his influences since he brought creativity and innovation of his own. respect elaborated it already.

There was nothing surprising or creative in JTs presentation, in fact it kinda bored me BUT I'd take it over Miley Cyrus' DISGUSTING performance any day, it was simply uncalled for and I'll dare to say it but she actually overshadowed Gaga in a bad and vulgar way. :puke: No need to post the details here.

Gaga's was entertaining actually, although I liked better when she sang acapella. I didn't like the song Applause.

There is absolutely nothing original or innovative with Timberlake.. I didn't even watch the show and I know he hasn't done anything new.. Hell Usher is a better singer and performer than Timberfake

That Miley Cyrus performance was shameful. It seems like it's all about making scandal now if you don't have the talent to stand out. So sad.

Or if you're lacking real talent, sell sex to have relevance. When I started to watch her performance I felt like :wtf:, giant Care Bears, angels, horrible singing and dancing. But when she was with Robin Thicke... :shock: I couldn't believe she did that!

I seriously consider myself an open minded person but excuse me, what Miley did wasn't the expression of her sexuality, it was a pathetic publicity stunt.

Or if you're lacking real talent, sell sex to have relevance. When I started to watch her performance I felt like :wtf:, giant Care Bears, angels, horrible singing and dancing. But when she was with Robin Thicke... :shock: I couldn't believe she did that!

I seriously consider myself an open minded person but excuse me, what Miley did wasn't the expression of her sexuality, it was a pathetic publicity stunt.

But as we are talking about inspiration and influence. I think people like Miley Cyrus are the result of Madonna's influence on pop music. She started this selling sex thing to compensate lack of talent and to deliberately cause scandal and get attention. Like when she kissed with Britney just for attention etc. At least Michael influenced people who do not use such desperate tactics.

And Robin Thicke had the hit of the summer, why did he need to do this?

^^Well yes, fair enough. At least Madonna has been smarter and has more charisma (not the same thing as talent) and has allowed her to get away with it, however Miley doesn't have any of that and you should admit Madonna is sexually explicit in her concerts but tones down herself in award shows. Michael thought them well, I admit.

Probably Robin got paid more for that stunt? I'm guessing.

Justin definitely stole the show last night.. He was great.. The performance and acceptance of the mj vanguard award.

I was obviously watching a different show then. Cyrus was disgusting. That was vile, Thicke is a married man. JT wasn't that good at all, he just looked better due to crap elsewhere. Bruno Mars was ok I guess. It's a shame no one really tries to perform like Michael. No one tries to create that spectacle anymore..

Michael always acknowledged his influences where I never see Justin acknowledge his especially when it comes to Michael. It's always been obvious Michael's influence in his music and performances. I believe he is talented but I wasn't blown away with what I saw. I kept looking at the clock and was more interested seeing him perform with nsync but if you blinked you probably missed it. To me calling him the president of pop is just a clever way to say the same as king of pop. They know they can't say it so they just pick another word instead of king. Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll. Who is the prince or president of rock and roll?

I was obviously watching a different show then. Cyrus was disgusting. That was vile, Thicke is a married man. JT wasn't that good at all, he just looked better due to crap elsewhere. Bruno Mars was ok I guess. It's a shame no one really tries to perform like Michael. No one tries to create that spectacle anymore..

They try (JT's whole career has been about trying hard to be like MJ). But they can't.

Michael always acknowledged his influences where I never see Justin acknowledge his especially when it comes to Michael. It's always been obvious Michael's influence in his music and performances. I believe he is talented but I wasn't blown away with what I saw. I kept looking at the clock and was more interested seeing him perform with nsync but if you blinked you probably missed it. To me calling him the president of pop is just a clever way to say the same as king of pop. They know they can't say it so they just pick another word instead of king. Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll. Who is the prince or president of rock and roll?

That President of Pop stuff is the new PR by his management. I suspect that when Rolling Stone declared him the new King of Pop on their cover in 2003 it was something that JT's own management asked for. I wouldn't put it past them. They try so hard to market JT as the new MJ. But then they maybe realized that people do not take that well, and the King of Pop title is so stuck to MJ that people won't suddenly start calling him that, not even if they put it on the Rolling Stone. So now they settle for something else. At least it's not God of Pop.

As for not acknowledging Michael's influence. I don't know if he did or didn't but his producers did and critics too saw the obvious:

The Neptunes told MTV that the duo and Timberlake drove in a car listening to Earth, Wind & Fire albums, with the background of its music what the production duo wanted to implement into Justified's musical content.[SUP][5][/SUP] Timberlake was not concerned about "a white boy singing this kind of music".[SUP][5][/SUP] The production duo commented that despite not being content with sampling music, for inspiration, they listened to both Off the Wall and Thriller, albums by Michael Jackson.[SUP][5][/SUP] Their intentions were to create music that was similar to Jackson's work without "recycling them".[SUP][5][/SUP] Chad Hugo, The Neptunes member, commented that "We just wanted to re-create that sense of those timeless, classic songs, without any of the 'bling, bling, hit me on my two-way' style of the new R&B. It has elements of the old and the new."[SUP][5][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justified_(album)

Official production for FutureSex/LoveSounds started in December 2005. When production began, Jive Records Chairman and CEO, Barry Weiss, asked when the album would be completed, to which Timberlake replied that it could possibly take a year.[SUP][13][/SUP] The title was not finalized until Jive Records gave Timberlake a deadline on finishing what would become FutureSex/LoveSounds.[SUP][14][/SUP] The collective thought the album is comparable with Michael Jackson's landmark record, Thriller, dubbing their own as FS/LS Thriller 2006. Timberlake is a fan of Jackson and even name-drops the latter in the song "Chop Me Up".[SUP][15][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FutureSex/LoveSounds

The 20/20 Experience received generally positive reviews from music critics, many of whom hailed it as a significant pop release.[SUP][42][/SUP] At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 75, based on 39 reviews.[SUP][43][/SUP] Sputnikmusic's Sobhi Youssef called it "expertly" written and produced, and cited it as a "profound manifestation" of recent innovations in R&B.[SUP][44][/SUP] Mikael Wood of the Los Angeles Times found its elaborate structures ambitious in the vein of Stevie Wonder, Prince, and Michael Jackson.[SUP][17][/SUP]

Steven Hyden said that the album has "traditionalist tendencies",[SUP][15][/SUP] and Simon Price wrote that producers Timbaland and Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon merged 1970s influences with futuristic sounds: "the Chi-Lites in orbit, the Isley Brothers gone intergalactic, and so on." Price also compared their production on the album to Quincy Jones's production on Michael Jackson's 1979 album Off the Wall.[SUP][16][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_20/20_Experience

His first single from his upcoming album:

"Take Back the Night" is a disco and R&B song, with a length of five minutes and fifty-five seconds.[SUP][7][/SUP] It carries a "sleek, rhythmic pop production",[SUP][1][/SUP] with instrumentation consisting of stirring strings, percolating percussion horn stabs, thumping bass and waka-waka guitars.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] Jason Lipshutz of Billboard wrote that the song "nods to Off the Wall-era Michael Jackson",[SUP][2][/SUP] while MTV News' James Montgomery declared "Take Back the Night" a "sumptuous slice" of "Off the Wall-indebted disco" that seems "custom-made for roller rinks everywhere (or at least the five that are still open for business in 2013)".[SUP][8][/SUP] The song contains a "dizzyingly light hook".[SUP][2][/SUP] Similarly, a reviewer of Spin wrote that the song has a distinct Jackson vibe, "throwing back to soul's post-disco evolution, infusing dance floor rhythms with impeccable class."[SUP][9][/SUP] According to Lipshutz the song is also a "souped-up version" of "Let the Groove Get In".[SUP][2][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Back_the_Night_(song)

And of course besides his music his dancing and performances are heavily influenced by MJ as well.

That President of Pop stuff is the new PR by his management. I suspect that when Rolling Stone declared him the new King of Pop on their cover in 2003 it was something that JT's own management asked for. I wouldn't put it past them. They try so hard to market JT as the new MJ. But then they maybe realized that people do not take that well, and the King of Pop title is so stuck to MJ that people won't suddenly start calling him that, not even if they put it on the Rolling Stone. So now they settle for something else. At least it's not God of Pop.

As for not acknowledging Michael's influence. I don't know if he did or didn't but his producers did and critics too saw the obvious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justified_%28album%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FutureSex/LoveSounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_20/20_Experience

His first single from his upcoming album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Back_the_Night_(song)

And of course besides his music his dancing and performances are heavily influenced by MJ as well.

Yep but he will never admit it

I just want to say that I understand in sports and entertainment people have their nicknames that are used to recognize people. His management or PR people can't think of something else? Something original for him? I am not a paranoid fan but it's like even the smallest things people can't let Michael have. There is no prince or president of rock and roll that I ever heard. I think others around him will acknowledge Michael's influence where he doesn't. I know he is talented and I can see why people like him. He had the opportunity last night to say something of Michael since he was receiving an award in Michael's name. If Bruno Mars or Usher got the award I am sure they would have said something. I know there are people here that are fans of him and I do respect that. I don't mean to offend just saying my opinion only.

It was just his dancing and singing that was fantastic it was his outfits, his stage props etc that really made his preformances stand out . The majority of artists today just dont seem to give a crap bout it and their preformances are boring to watch

Great performance. Haters gonna hate.

President of Pop? :ermm: Hmmmph! He aint running nothing. Lol!

I mean, JT is OK in his own right. Granted. But after seeing it again,
I looked at this thing a teeny bit different. Although I agree that he should
have acknowledged MJ SOMEWHERE within his acceptance speech, it would
have made the moment about MJ and not himself. After all, we don't hear winners
of Grammys, or Oscars or Emmys, etc, thanking those who inspired & or designed
(created) those statuettes. But still...ijs.

OT: Jayden Smith's facial expressions was priceless during the Miley mess!

Back