Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

BSp6k6cCYAAldwq.jpg:large

No one can top Daft Punk's reaction to Miley Cyrus' #VMAs performance. pic.twitter.com/HYduXsAC1n

Can someone tell Hanna Montana she doesn't know how to twerk nor does she have the booty to do it... IF Someone is going to do it in public, they gotta do it right..

I'm sure if Michael was there at that night, he would left that stupid show...

^^^Humorous yet gross. Music is going from bad to worse every time.

If JT had vanguardist as the award says, creative and groundbreaking videos, I'd think he deserved it but since him, nor his videos are any of that, "MTV" just gave it to him just because he's a media darling.

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Billy Ray Cyrus must be so proud

She wrote this on her twitter page of what her dad said : "Mile, if twerkin woulda been invented.... And I had a foam finger.... I woulda done the same thang you did." - DAD ................................

I wasn't ever a NSync fan (too old) but I have seen them-when they performed with Michael on the VMas and the 30the anniversary special-and I think Justin is cute on SNL-but I really thought he should have let the other members perform longer than 90 seconds. Michael had his brothers on the stage for at least 30-40 minutes at MSG and they were all fantastic!!!! And about 10-15 years older than NSync now at the time.
And BRUNO MARS got stuck at the almost end of the show and he was TERRIFIC!!!! Nobody has mentioned him in any entertainment shows-he killed it! I think everyone had stopped watching by then.

Justin Timberlake does deserve this award, he works hard on his music. You can tell through the emotion he portrays through each of his song's. especially 'Blue Ocean Floor' he honestly is one of my favorite artists around today

Justin Timberlake does deserve this award, he works hard on his music. You can tell through the emotion he portrays through each of his song's. especially 'Blue Ocean Floor' he honestly is one of my favorite artists around today

Well, the award is (or should be) about groubdbreaking videos and he has none, so I don't think he deserved this award. Justin himself told he didn't deserve it.

Well, the award is (or should be) about groubdbreaking videos and he has none, so I don't think he deserved this award. Justin himself told he didn't deserve it.

Come on, do you really expect every artist who wins it to have ground breaking videos ? Ground breaking videos are quite rare to come by in all honesty and to expect it every year is just not going to happen. It sounds like Justin was saying that out of modesty.

I think the award should be given to the artist who has produced some of the best videos of the past year and no one is ever going to fully agree on it, because it comes down to personal taste. Personally, I've enjoyed what Justin has put out this year, especially with Mirrors so I am quite satisfied that he won this award.

no one's ever gonna reach the peak of perfection that Michael captivated throughout his divine magic. so we just can't look that high any longer, mirrors is a decent short film tho

Mirrors was terrible. Seen better Sunday afternoon TV movies.

And that silly dancing at the end just made me cringe inside.

The award is called The Michael Jackson Video VANGUARD Award. There's nothing vanguardist, innovative or even creative in JT's videos, he's just stuck to a proved formula.

Björk has a more vast, more creative and indeed vanguardist body work of videos than him. That's why I disagreed with the winning, her work embodies way more what the award means.

Zakk;3898379 said:
no one's ever gonna reach the peak of perfection that Michael captivated throughout his divine magic. so we just can't look that high any longer, mirrors is a decent short film tho

I didn't say anything about having to reach MJ's standards to be deserving of the award. But all JT has are pretty average videos, nothing that is innovative or stands out in any way. If MTV wants their awards to be taken seriously they should give them to people who deserve them. I agree with others in this thread, that someone like Björk would have been deserving, for example.

Come on, do you really expect every artist who wins it to have ground breaking videos ? Ground breaking videos are quite rare to come by in all honesty and to expect it every year is just not going to happen. It sounds like Justin was saying that out of modesty.

I think the award should be given to the artist who has produced some of the best videos of the past year and no one is ever going to fully agree on it, because it comes down to personal taste. Personally, I've enjoyed what Justin has put out this year, especially with Mirrors so I am quite satisfied that he won this award.

There are artists out there who are more deserving of this award, because they have more interesting, better videos. JT is totally, utterly average in this department, sorry. It's clear that giving the award to JT was a PR decision - to give him an excuse to be awarded and perform. Not something that was based on true merit.

^^Exactly, a shameless PR stunt to inflate him more.

Britney Spears didn't deserve the award TBH but at least she honored where it's due, a thing JT didn't even bother.

"Thank you! This award means so much to me, specially one night before Michael Jackson's Birthday. He had so much influence on me, Gaga and the next performer, Beyoncé!" Briefly mentioned him but she was sweet and humble.

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Are they serious? I think Lady gaga deserve this more than JT.

lol, steak girl? haha no, have you seen how thin she is? not a very good impression on people to be completely honest. i mean.. look at 'bad romance' you can see her spine bones pointing out of her back.

Yes, because her weight clearly means her videos are terrible.

Oh, zakk...

Yes, because her weight clearly means her videos are terrible.

Oh, zakk...

it's the wrong kinda message that she portrays, her fans are mostly teenagers. and they look up to her, but all I'm saying is that what if they do what she does and they turn up like that?

do...what? Be skinny?

you don't understand what I'm saying, I'm saying revealing her body like that gives off the wrong impression about teenage girls thinking that's the weight they should be.. just cos' Gaga is famous..

But you could say that about any female in the entertainment industry.

But you could say that about any female in the entertainment industry.

hmmm, you could say that.. but she expresss it too much, I mean.. it's already a bad problem! I certainly wasn't expecting to see her spine and huge eyes in that video :/

Wait, you think those were real?
You realize the big eyes AND the spine were fake, right?

Lady-Gaga--Bad-Romance.jpg

gaagrept3.jpg

And if it matters, she gained weight not too long ago, and was criticized for being fat (when the reality is she wasn't, she just put on some pounds), but she lost some again.

Damned if you're too skinny, damned if you've got some meat on you.

lol, steak girl? haha no, have you seen how thin she is? not a very good impression on people to be completely honest. i mean.. look at 'bad romance' you can see her spine bones pointing out of her back.

Her weight is completely irrelevant to the award though ? There's nothing wrong with being skinny OR fat. "not a very good impression on people to be completely honest" I can see where you're coming from, but considering she has spread so much about accepting oneself for who they are (to the point where it's become associated with her image), if anything I think Gaga is a good impression on people.

Wait, you think those were real?
You realize the big eyes AND the spine were fake, right?

Lady-Gaga--Bad-Romance.jpg

gaagrept3.jpg

And if it matters, she gained weight not too long ago, and was criticized for being fat (when the reality is she wasn't, she just put on some pounds), but she lost some again.

Damned if you're too skinny, damned if you've got some meat on you.

Thank you. It's actually annoying how people nowadays criticise people for being skinny, yet praise someone for being fat. There's nothing wrong with being either (unless obviously, you're extremely skinny orobese to the point where you are have medical problems).

There are artists out there who are more deserving of this award, because they have more interesting, better videos. JT is totally, utterly average in this department, sorry. It's clear that giving the award to JT was a PR decision - to give him an excuse to be awarded and perform. Not something that was based on true merit.

I do like his videos and I enjoyed Mirrors, but I do think Suit and Tie was pretty meh (though I did love the black and white style). Just out of curiosity, would you mind suggesting some other artists who should've won this award please (and their videos) ? :D

Back